KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » How come Moff Tarkin is higher on the food chain than Darth Vader?

How come Moff Tarkin is higher on the food chain than Darth Vader?
Started by: Mortanius

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Master Kadub

JJ1138,

I believe that part of that is true, but based on what
I have seen and how the politicians try to avoid any
intanglements with the Jedi [or Vader]; they didnt
try to pull any power plays over Vader....

They would've certainly meet their demise like the
one governor in ANH.....

Vader was just an onlooker and watched to make
sure the Emperors will was followed...

Old Post Sep 28th, 2004 10:10 PM
Click here to Send Master Kadub a Private Message Find more posts by Master Kadub Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
captainmidnight

would it be fair to say that after ep3 anakin has nowhere else to go, and sure he helped palpatine but only to keep the jedi from disturbing his plans,i think by doing this service for palpatine he is rewarded a place of rank on the death star beneath tarkin becouse like someone else said tarkin is the leader of the outter rim.....

Old Post Sep 28th, 2004 11:14 PM
Click here to Send captainmidnight a Private Message Find more posts by captainmidnight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Kadub

CM,

Well, ofcourse Capt' I will have to disagree.....but I do see the point you are trying to make....

Because Tarkin is head of the governors and the Death Star that Vader is under his controll....
Let us think back to Lord Maul in TPM, he didnt fall under anybody's control, he just did as instructed by Palpatine/Sidious.....
I am sure that nobody would've stood in his way if he wanted to run things himself, but he has received his orders already...

And the same could be said for Count Dooku, yes he leads the trade federation but he has received orders from Palpatine/Sidious previously...remember when he returns to Coruscant and meets Palpatine/Sidious......[plus, I dont think in AOTC there was anybody competitent for Palpatine to rely on]

Vader/Anakin could have left after the Jedi were [suppose to have all been wiped out] but his new master Sidious/Palpatine instructed him now....plus, that is who Anakin relyed on.....
ROTJ [Palpatine refers to Vader as "Old Friend"]

So, to think that Tarkin had any direct control over Vader would be far fetched; but Vader did respect the authority that Tarkin was given by the Emperor......
Something else that catches my eye from ROTJ is when Vader returns to the New Death Star the Commander is very confident that things are in order; but Vader is sent there to get things on track....
When Vader mentions that the Emperor would be visiting soon, the Commander turns white as a ghost......
Vader seems to be in perfect control of things....

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 01:15 AM
Click here to Send Master Kadub a Private Message Find more posts by Master Kadub Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
captainmidnight

i think out of respect he does not try to control tarkin,i guess what i'm thinking is that it may seem tarkin has authority over vader,but in fact vader is just there to overlook the construction of the death star,the emperor would destroy tarkin before vader,if it came to it.....

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 02:44 AM
Click here to Send captainmidnight a Private Message Find more posts by captainmidnight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
captainmidnight

after skimming through all the posts my above post is what i now think.....i never really gave the whole tarkin thing any thought....

Old Post Sep 29th, 2004 02:47 AM
Projectvrd

Okay, I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one. I prefer to recycle because it keeps the place cleaner. And it gives a chance to see new opinions now that more films came out!

A few people have mentioned that Vader seemed to be in control, and that he had respect for the Moff. Both could be very true and both would make sense.

However, another to add (not take away or replace the two above suggestions)... Darth Sidious might have been applying the same style of training to his Apprentice (Vader) as what he recieved from his own Master (Darth Plagueis).

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."

By denying Vader the ultimate authority after himself, Sidious was keeping his anger and frustration alive. Just as Plagiueis kept things from Sidious to keep his anger alive, thus making him a better and far more powerful Darth Lord.

We can only assume, Vader was ready to be the true second in command in the years that came after the date 0BBY when the Death Star was destroyed. But it would make sense for a Master to pass on the techniques that he/she had also been taught in their Apprenticeship.

smile

Old Post Jan 15th, 2013 02:38 PM
Click here to Send Projectvrd a Private Message Find more posts by Projectvrd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

expanded universe material is irrelevant here.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Old Post Jan 15th, 2013 02:54 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I think it was simply that Vader was the behind the scenes power, being a member of the clandestine sith, and Tarkin his needed public counterpart/carry over from the corrupted republic of old..

Mirrored by the Maul behind the scenes/on the QT thing in TPM.

The imperial public at large were most likely under the impression that Palps was just an ex-chancellor attacked and mutilated by those evil Jedi folk, with only Kenobi, Yoda and a select few like the the top rebel leaders and possibly Owen, Beru etc left knowing otherwise. "History is written by the winners" etc

Look at the way that the even the force was regarded in ANH:
IE The belief of followers of an ancient religion widely treated with skepticism by even the governing faction that conquered the galaxy partly at its dark side's behest..!

So, the republic/imperial aspect was the one that the public were sold on. And so, to me, In Raiders of the Lost Ark terms, Tarkin and the boys were the face of it, and Vader was like the top SS guy Toht you never would have heard about in Raiders til he turned up in your nepalese bar chasing some artifact, at Hitler's command, whilst all the public would hear about is *insert well know nazi commander's name here* invading Africa. (not admitted publically to be about going after Tannis specifically)

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 10:21 AM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imaginary
blinded

quote: (post)
Originally posted by focus4chumps
expanded universe material is irrelevant here.

not movie-canon =/= irrelevant. It was just speculation about the psychology or thought process that might've informed the circumstances we see in the films.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2013 04:07 AM
Click here to Send Imaginary a Private Message Find more posts by Imaginary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kickballjedi

I think Vader was the the Nazi Secret Police of the Empire. The SS always wore the long, black leather trenchcoats and had the lightning bolt "SS" insignia to differenciate them from the officers and common soldiers. They had no "rank" over the military officers but everything about them was imposing. He was only on Tarkin's Death Star because he hauled Leia there after capturing her, trying to find the stolen plans.

Old Post May 3rd, 2013 09:26 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

It seems in the movie like Tarkin was the one placed in charge of the Death Star. Of course, Darth Vader is the Emperor's right hand so he could overrule (choke to death) Tarkin whenever he wished. I bet he just didn't want to bother with the trouble.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post May 7th, 2013 09:57 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

wrong

vader is clearly outranked by tarkin in ep4, not just on the death star.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Old Post May 7th, 2013 01:35 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

wrong

vader is clearly outranked by tarkin in ep4, not just on the death star.

It is debatable on whether or not Tarkin actually outranked Vader. As has been pointed out, Vader probably may not evan have an Imperial military rank: his ability to govern is from a political position via the Emperor. He is referred to as "Lord Vader" but this may be a reference to a full title which is Sith Lord Darth Vader (I don't believe this was canonically known until the PT came out) or simply an honorific.

One can, and accurately so, argue that Tarkin told Vader to release him and Vader complied in the same situation as two colleagues arguing and a third peer tells them to stop.

IIRC, Vader makes use of some authority and resources while on the Death Star and of the Death Star without getting permission from Tarkin. Clearly, Vader has some power that is militarily mutually exclusive from Tarkin. One could argue that Vader outranks Tarkin and be equally correct as saying Tarkin outranks Vader.

I think the "Captain of the boat" analogy is the best fit/description for this situation. Tarkin was captain of the boat so Vader, despite his rank, respected the orders/wishes of Tarkin in situations where commands were given.

Last edited by dadudemon on May 7th, 2013 at 08:47 PM

Old Post May 7th, 2013 08:43 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
It is debatable on whether or not Tarkin actually outranked Vader. As has been pointed out, Vader probably may not evan have an Imperial military rank: his ability to govern is from a political position via the Emperor. He is referred to as "Lord Vader" but this may be a reference to a full title which is Sith Lord Darth Vader (I don't believe this was canonically known until the PT came out) or simply an honorific.

One can, and accurately so, argue that Tarkin told Vader to release him and Vader complied in the same situation as two colleagues arguing and a third peer tells them to stop.

right its just a long string of coincidences that he's the one giving orders to vader/above vader and vader complies/supports those orders. at any point vader could have been like "its my turn to be boss." and tarkin would have taken bottom.

Last edited by focus4chumps on May 7th, 2013 at 08:53 PM

Old Post May 7th, 2013 08:47 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I believe that Vader was only subordinate to Tarkin on the Death Star-- as he [Tarkin] was its commander. Outside the Death Star, command would naturally fall to Vader.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 7th, 2013 08:56 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galan007
I believe that Vader was only subordinate to Tarkin on the Death Star-- as he [Tarkin] was its commander. Outside the Death Star, command would naturally fall to Vader.

he was also the boss of vader on the star destroyer at the beginning of the film. tarkin was a regional governor, possible more with a name like "grand moff". regardless, he was the boss.

quote:
Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories.

Last edited by focus4chumps on May 7th, 2013 at 09:05 PM

Old Post May 7th, 2013 09:01 PM
dadudemon

right its just a long string of coincidences that he's the one giving orders to vader/above vader and vader complies/supports those orders. at any point vader could have been like "its my turn to be boss." and tarkin would have taken bottom.

You missed this part:

quote:
IIRC, Vader makes use of some authority and resources while on the Death Star and of the Death Star without getting permission from Tarkin. Clearly, Vader has some power that is militarily mutually exclusive from Tarkin. One could argue that Vader outranks Tarkin and be equally correct as saying Tarkin outranks Vader.

And which orders did Tarkin give Vader that he followed through, exactly? I am not entirely sure they were "orders" orders...but, again, I could be wrong as I am not sure. It has been over a decade since I have seen the OT. Just haven't had time to make it through, yet.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 09:26 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

he was also the boss of vader on the star destroyer at the beginning of the film.
I honestly don't remember that. Been a long time since I've watched ANH, though.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 7th, 2013 09:28 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

It should be noted that Leia said that Tarkin had Vader on a leash or something to that effect. That could imply that Vader was used as a scare tactic or something, by the military. That also implies subordiantion.

But by ESB, Vader looks to be the head honcho over all the Imperial Military.

Old Post May 7th, 2013 09:38 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
[...]

quote:
Governor Tarkin: The regional governors now have direct control over their territories.

what part of "direct control" is confusing you?

Old Post May 7th, 2013 09:40 PM