KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » How come Moff Tarkin is higher on the food chain than Darth Vader?

How come Moff Tarkin is higher on the food chain than Darth Vader?
Started by: Mortanius

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by focus4chumps
even if a minor difference in insignias exists, there may be different levels of general which could explain it. for an american example: 1 star/brigadier gen, 2 star/major gen, 3 star/lieutenant gen, 4 star/chief of staff.

:edit: before ddm gets excited and jumps all over this, i'm just using this as a line of reasoning and not attempting a direct comparrison to the u.s. military command structure...especially since our navy and coast guard have admirals but no generals, and vice versa for the other military branches.

Just saw this: yeah, he was an admiral and the credits are wrong (mistakes can happen). The other dude I mentioned was a general.

Old Post May 9th, 2013 09:34 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
Troll harder:

By Admiral Ozzel, I meant the Admiral choked out, not the admiral promoted. The admiral promoted was Piett. Even if context implies otherwise, you don't get to choose what I meant.

If you knew who Griff was, you'd understand why I confused him for Ozzel: Ozzel replaced Griff after Griff died. It was literally a Freudian slip.

i guess its not over yet laughing out loud

yes im totally trolling you by quoting the exact course of that topical exchange. better report me.

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=denton+van+zan+vs

Last edited by focus4chumps on May 9th, 2013 at 09:47 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2013 09:43 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Don't be utterly ridiculous dadude. It's immensely obvious you cocked up with the names, and you are in no position to get so awkward about it. Mockery is well warranted when you become that evasive, and focus' quote chain sums up the situation well. You directly said 'Vader promoted him to Admiral in ESB'. That's nothing to do with any EU character, nor does it refer to Ozzel, and the whole mis-understanding is entirely on you.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 9th, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2013 10:14 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Don't be utterly ridiculous dadude. It's immensely obvious you cocked up with the names, and you are in no position to get so awkward about it. Mockery is well warranted when you become that evasive, and focus' quote chain sums up the situation well. You directly said 'Vader promoted him to Admiral in ESB'. That's nothing to do with any EU character, nor does it refer to Ozzel, and the whole mis-understanding is entirely on you.

Okay. But by "him" I literally meant Piett, not Ozzel. This is why I said, "You knew what i meant" because it amounts to nothing more than petty squabbling just to say, "AHA! I got you on something!" which is what half of these points being discussed really are.

I apologize for the confusion.

But I did not know we could mock other posters. I thought you got onto me for talking down to other posters, before, and even said I would be banned if I continued to do it? Is that just a rule for me due to my past or does that apply to everyone?

Old Post May 9th, 2013 10:31 PM
Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Right, well, these things happen- let's move it on.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 9th, 2013 10:33 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

Okay. But by "him" I literally meant Piett, not Ozzel. This is why I said, "You knew what i meant" because it amounts to nothing more than petty squabbling just to say, "AHA! I got you on something!" which is what half of these points being discussed really are.

I apologize for the confusion.

thumb up

But I did not know we could mock other posters. I thought you got onto me for talking down to other posters, before, and even said I would be banned if I continued to do it? Is that just a rule for me due to my past or does that apply to everyone?

oh dear lord

"Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage."

Last edited by focus4chumps on May 9th, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2013 10:34 PM
Click here to Send focus4chumps a Private Message Find more posts by focus4chumps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Right, well, these things happen- let's move it on.

Okay. No problem. Moving on.

So we all agree that Vader was just given ad-hoc authority based on assignment from the Emperor or are there still disagreements about his authority?

Old Post May 9th, 2013 10:34 PM
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

That Admiral who gets choked out was Mr. Bronson in Grange Hill, I always love seeing him get choked out in ESB 'cos Mr. Bronson was a ****. He also played Hitler in Indy 3.

Old Post May 9th, 2013 10:36 PM
Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And Julian Glover (Veers/Pycelle) was the guy who hired Indy in Indy 3 too. Both he and Michael Sheard (Ozzel) are known for Doctor Who roles also. And Peter Cushing played Dr. Who in the 60s movies, and the guy who told Tarkin to abandon ship also played an evil Federation Officer in a very similar role in Blake's 7 about a year later.

You can go on forever with all this, basically. GL made common use of the British acting talent pool.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 9th, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2013 10:43 PM
Jedi Sheriff
Bantha Rustlers Beware

I guess I'll shut up then.

Old Post May 9th, 2013 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Jedi Sheriff a Private Message Find more posts by Jedi Sheriff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

None of this drivel is relevant, at all. It is not worth replying to.

Case in point: he was called captain by Vader, and then Admiral by Vader in the same conversation. Vader gave the promotion.

Oh it is you who are mistaken....about a great many thinnngs.
I was bang on target.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on May 9th, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Old Post May 9th, 2013 11:37 PM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Oh it is you who are mistaken....about a great many thinnngs.
I was bang on target.

Not sure why Piett is thanking Vader after Vader says, "You are now in command, Admiral Piett" after he just called him "Captain Piett" a few seconds prior.

Old Post May 9th, 2013 11:44 PM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

and back down the rabbit-hole we go.

nobody has once argued that vader did not promote anyone.

again: "battlefield promotion"

Old Post May 10th, 2013 12:00 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

This. /\

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post May 10th, 2013 12:02 AM
Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Not sure why Piett is thanking Vader after Vader says, "You are now in command, Admiral Piett" after he just called him "Captain Piett" a few seconds prior.

To be fair, all that tells us is that Vader can (perhaps through the force) correctly address people by their rank. How they got the rank is not clear.

Old Post May 10th, 2013 12:02 AM
Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

or simply that via linear deduction he knew that piette was the de facto admiral. another possibility. but we dont deal in possibilties here.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 10th, 2013 12:19 AM
dadudemon

and back down the rabbit-hole we go.

nobody has once argued that vader did not promote anyone.

again: "battlefield promotion"

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
This. /\

Forgive me if I don't go back through posts and requote them and then post put up a bunch of smilies.

Originally posted by Bardock42
To be fair, all that tells us is that Vader can (perhaps through the force) correctly address people by their rank. How they got the rank is not clear.

laughing

or simply that via linear deduction he knew that piette was the de facto admiral. another possibility. but we dont deal in possibilties here.

So Vader promoted him to Admiral or he didn't?

Old Post May 10th, 2013 01:11 AM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

So Vader promoted him to Admiral or he didn't?

ddm, this is called a "debate". its what people do when there is no objective fact answering and closing the topic. in this case, people present plausible explanations and compare/contrast.

Old Post May 10th, 2013 01:14 AM
dadudemon

So no direct answer or even an attempt to directly answer the question? No problem. Thanks for the discussion. smile

Old Post May 10th, 2013 01:16 AM
focus4chumps
Restricted

Account Restricted

So no direct answer or even an attempt to directly answer the question? No problem. Thanks for the discussion. smile

i believe its well implied that vader gave piette a battfield promotion. just pointing out the possibility that it was simply a de fact promotion since piette was presumably left as the most senior officer.

possibilities, ddm.

Old Post May 10th, 2013 01:18 AM