KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » One Piece

One Piece
Started by: missbloom19

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (186): « First ... « 131 132 [133] 134 135 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AuraAngel

Also yay for finding a cure for Shinokuni because Oda is not going to leave Kinemon like that.

Oda gets a boo for that.

It's been too long since someone actually died in the manga.

Perfect time for CC or Mocha to die.
But no, the shits are still alive.

I hope Monet died.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 04:44 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Oda gets a boo for that.

It's been too long since someone actually died in the manga.

The only two significant non-flashback deaths happened 2 arcs ago.

You aren't going to see much in the way of deaths.

You want deaths? Go read Naruto.

quote:

I hope Monet died.

Near-zero chance.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 08:25 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I've never seen any point in actually killing characters off. To be fair Hodi and his crew are pretty much dead now, as aging that way pretty much made them (even more) useless.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 09:22 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

My problem with him not killing the villains is the explanation for it. He says Luffy is deliberately leaving them alive iirc so it's kinda saying that even in the hardest fights he's been in that Luffy is partially holding back so he won't kill them. :T

Or maybe that just applied to the early villains and guys like Lucci just outright survived?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 10:53 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I think most villains are tough enough that you pretty much have to go out of your way to kill them. I.e. beat them up as hard as you can, *then* etc..

Originally posted by Bentley
I've never seen any point in actually killing characters off. To be fair Hodi and his crew are pretty much dead now, as aging that way pretty much made them (even more) useless.

Yea, I think most writers are too quick to kill off characters, under the false idea that death is always dramatic.

Still, the lengths that Oda can go to to not-kill minor characters can get silly.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2012 11:57 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Really depends on the situation. You don't want your characters dying every chapter if it's just an adventure like, say, One Piece. I mean people would get really mad if, say, Usopp were killed in the middle of some random war. Less so if it were to happen in the final battle(and Usopp is my bet for Straw Hat most likely to die).

And honestly even though it was Marineford I kinda hate the way Ace died. On the one hand it was very effective in that absolutely no one would have seen in coming but on the other hand he only died because he was stoopid.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 12:14 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Skypiea. Random fodder surviving town busting bolts to the face.

NEVAR FORGET

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 07:23 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Hey, now that you mention Rob Lucci, did anyone saw that he -or someone who looked just like him in a trollish kind of way- appeared in the last chapter?

Frankly I think that characters surviving the most unlikely things its sort of a running joke right now, I agree there are some ridiculous survivals. I'd almost say that people dying if flashbacks is as much as a running joke, in the past Oda kills for pleasure no expression

Personally I don't think any Strawhat should ever die, that would break pretty much all the patterns that we've established until now to be honest. IF one was to die my bet would be Luffy, and he would die in a Roger kind of way.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 09:21 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by AuraAngel
Really depends on the situation. You don't want your characters dying every chapter if it's just an adventure like, say, One Piece. I mean people would get really mad if, say, Usopp were killed in the middle of some random war. Less so if it were to happen in the final battle(and Usopp is my bet for Straw Hat most likely to die).

One thing I liked about Negima- Threat of death was rare, the villains were not, in fact, trying for the kill. On the flip side, they had wounds treated far more significantly than other series (hole in the shoulder = ohcrapgonnableed out. Cut off arm = significant hospital stay to reattach), and enemies had no problem turning people to stone, capturing them or erasing them from this world. In short, eliminating without killing.

Having everyone live when people are trying to kill you is weak. Having the characters live because the opponent doesn't have killing as an objective works. With the former, every time someone lives it undermines their threat. With the latter, their threat is based on other matters anyway.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 09:43 AM
wakkawakkawakka

I do wonder why Oda goes out of his way to keep everyone alive...even the antagonist. It isn't really helpful to the threat and as mentioned previously even hurts the bad guys credibility as a dangerous force.

Maybe the next death in One Piece will be something else that nobody sees coming.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 09:54 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I do wonder why Oda goes out of his way to keep everyone alive...even the antagonist. It isn't really helpful to the threat and as mentioned previously even hurts the bad guys credibility as a dangerous force.

Maybe the next death in One Piece will be something else that nobody sees coming.

Well, he did say that he wants to show the characters with their dream's crushed, which is a pretty solid reason.

If you defeat someone's ambitions, in real life there's normally an 'and then what do they do?'. Be it stewing in prison or making something of their life.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 10:00 AM
wakkawakkawakka

That may be sound for the antagonist but when fodder character are surviving bombs and lightning bolts on top of the occasional spine-breaker, it looks pretty lame.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 10:08 AM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Personally I don't think it's meant to be regarded as a realistic approach towards the opponents, it's either a joke or a way to make the good guys fully win at the end, that's just how narration functions in the OP universe.

...I mean, seriously, when Sanji was fainting and dying from bloodloss because he saw mermaids that's not any less absurd. Jokes interact with plot in weird ways in OP.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 04:07 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Originally posted by Q99
Well, he did say that he wants to show the characters with their dream's crushed, which is a pretty solid reason.

If you defeat someone's ambitions, in real life there's normally an 'and then what do they do?'. Be it stewing in prison or making something of their life.

Wapole is better off than ever lol.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2012 04:40 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Old Post Dec 18th, 2012 11:55 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Bentley
Hey, now that you mention Rob Lucci, did anyone saw that he -or someone who looked just like him in a trollish kind of way- appeared in the last chapter?

Now that I think of it maybe it was Aokiji...

Old Post Dec 19th, 2012 05:54 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Pretty cool chapter. No real complaints or highlights.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2012 11:15 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Old Post Dec 21st, 2012 02:46 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Heard a theory that the heart Caesar has in his hand is actually Monet's, not Smoker's. Rather sound since Law is a planner and it would make sense for him to switch it.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2012 09:32 PM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Lol.

Uh-oh, the Big Bad's coming to town. Looks like we'll finally get a fight where the Strawhats aren't dominating.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2012 11:21 AM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote