KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » One Piece

One Piece
Started by: missbloom19

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (186): « First ... « 178 179 [180] 181 182 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
Ah, did not read properly. Hard to have solo fights with female crewmembers without Nami there. Robin has never mattered and never will thumb up

*Cough*Ennes Lobby*/cough* Also, none of the new pirate captains or other fighters were women, and considering the length it wouldn't be hard to give Nami something at some point.

Anyway, apparently Oda has a young daughter and he's disappointed that she likes Pretty Cure more than One Piece.

And him having a daughter now kinda explains some stuff. I mean, we just had an arc about a girl who, while skilled, is clearly indicated that she should stop fighting, and goes to be daddy's little girl at the end.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2015 11:52 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Nice to see I'm somewhere in the middle between Q99 and Bentley on this arc. Had a lot of stuff I rather liked and a lot of stuff I disliked.

Rebeca does suck though.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2015 05:16 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Q99
*Cough*Ennes Lobby*/cough* Also, none of the new pirate captains or other fighters were women, and considering the length it wouldn't be hard to give Nami something at some point.

Every anti-Dresderossa argument I've heard compares it with Ennies Lobby. "Why is this not Ennies Lobby?" isn't a legitimate argument stick out tongue (not talking about you, it's a jab at a friend who often goes there).

Baby 5 did join the fleet... Because she is getting married So yay equality?

Originally posted by Q99
*Anyway, apparently Oda has a young daughter and he's disappointed that she likes Pretty Cure more than One Piece.

And him having a daughter now kinda explains some stuff. I mean, we just had an arc about a girl who, while skilled, is clearly indicated that she should stop fighting, and goes to be daddy's little girl at the end.

Rebecca's arc, as nonsensical as it is, doesn't really compare to how infamously lame Tashigi is. I mean, Rebecca learned to fight for... Reasons. Tashigi? That's her frigging job.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 17th, 2015 05:26 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Why are people comparing it to Enies Lobby? The arc is most like Alabasta in terms of callbacks(which makes sense cause Punk Hazzard resembled Drum Island).

Old Post Sep 17th, 2015 05:34 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I think it's because people are expecting to see very particular things, like the SH crew in action, since it's been years since most of them were featured in a proper fight. Because of this things, they are measuring every arc that comes out in the light of how much it fulfills those wishes instead of the actual happenings inside the arc.

Most OP arcs lack the same things that people dislike about Dresderossa, but since this last arc had some better things, they expected even more from it.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2015 06:12 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wakkawakkawakka

Speaking of which did Nami,Chopper,Brook actually do anything in this arc. I mean Sanji got son'd by Doffy but I'm not sure that qualifies as doing stuff. Then there was the filler vs filler that went on during the Colosseum portion of the arc.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2015 02:09 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

They fought Jora. It didn't amount to anything and Leo curbed her way harder than the Straw Hats.

I can't get mad about people wanting the Straw Hats to get to do stuff.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2015 09:48 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by AuraAngel
They fought Jora. It didn't amount to anything and Leo curbed her way harder than the Straw Hats.

I can't get mad about people wanting the Straw Hats to get to do stuff.

I think to be needy about secondary characters sets a bad precedent. This isn't fan service, Dresderossa was long without trying to make every SH "useful", let's get the plot moving and try different things each arc. You are allowed to feel that some characters have been dropped, but that happens on pretty much every Shouen manga and people accept it readily because in those manga they have lower expectations.

I want the SH to do stuff too, but the self-entitled butthurt from fans is my true pleasure

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 08:46 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

I'm pretty sure people complain about it in other manga. Dragonball's biggest problem in the eyes of most people is that Goku's old friends basically become pointless to the point where if you have no Saiyan blood you may as well not be there. Likewise, people hated that Naruto characters from the Chunin Exams(and Sakura) got less to do than Naruto/Sasuke.

The Straw Hats are more important characters than any cited above.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 09:11 PM
Bentley
Seitei

I'm pretty sure people complain about it in other manga. Dragonball's biggest problem in the eyes of most people is that Goku's old friends basically become pointless to the point where if you have no Saiyan blood you may as well not be there. Likewise, people hated that Naruto characters from the Chunin Exams(and Sakura) got less to do than Naruto/Sasuke.

The Straw Hats are more important characters than any cited above.

I agree that those are legitimate complaints, but fans from the manga "deal with it" whereas in OP it becomes a huge disappointment somehow.

You never heard stuff like "this arc is ruined, Sakura wasn't featured on it".

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 09:20 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Sakura is one person.

Half the Straw Hats are half the main cast lol. In a series where the main cast is varied and you're free to pick a favorite, not seeing them in action kinda sucks. Especially when characters like Rebecca, who will not be part of this nifty alliance, eat up loads of time.

Before the timeskip we basically had 80 or so chapters with just Luffy. After it while each Straw Hat got a moment against Hody's crew, it fell flat because Hody's crew sucked as villains. Brook, Chopper, and especially Sanji have been given almost nothing to do for a very long time. Nami got to beat up Baby 5 but that was done in one chapter. Which if they were fighting Hody's crew wouldn't be a problem but they were fighting Doffy, a villain who has been built up quite a while. Yet aside from Luffy, Zoro, Franky, and Usopp(kinda), none of them got to really fight Doffy's crew(Brook defeating Jora is excluded obviously). Imagine if Oda had done something similar with CP9 or Baroque Works.

Honestly fans getting upset shows that Oda did a fantastic job with his main cast. We want to see them in action. In my humble opinion they're way more interesting/fun to watch than most of Goku's old pals and the other Naruto teams.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 09:42 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Honestly fans getting upset shows that Oda did a fantastic job with his main cast. We want to see them in action. In my humble opinion they're way more interesting/fun to watch than most of Goku's old pals and the other Naruto teams.

Yes, I agree with the sentiment. I do enjoy his characterizations for most secondary characters, only a handful are really disposable and forgetable.

You could argue that the characters aren't strong because of their battles. One Piece might be action oriented but combat is mostly not as consitently satisfying as in other series. When people miss Piccolo or Tien or even Roshi is because their battle style was fancy and analytical (Tien in particular is quite boring outside the battlefield, Roshi and Piccolo happened to be all kinds of awesome everywhere). I like Zoro as a powerhouse, but I like more that he gets lost and is overall an idiot.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 06:20 AM
Q99

Sakura is one person.

Half the Straw Hats are half the main cast lol. In a series where the main cast is varied and you're free to pick a favorite, not seeing them in action kinda sucks. Especially when characters like Rebecca, who will not be part of this nifty alliance, eat up loads of time.

And heck, Rebecca doesn't compare well to side-characters in similar roles in the past- Vivi was pretty great and complemented the crew while still leaving them screentime.

I did see people say they wanted to see more of the side characters in Naruto, but the non-team-7 cast were always supporting characters, and even so, the War Arc sidelined Naruto for some time to give everyone chances to fight, and they continued to contribute moments up to the mass genjutsu.

I mean, think about it: Ino had more to do in the war than some Strawhats have had in the three post-skip arcs combined.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 07:41 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Q99
I mean, think about it: Ino had more to do in the war than some Strawhats have had in the three post-skip arcs combined.

Now that you mention it Ino had a sudden growth of backbone and relevance by the end of the series. It came out of nowhere and still puzzles me a bit

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 07:44 AM
Q99

Every anti-Dresderossa argument I've heard compares it with Ennies Lobby. "Why is this not Ennies Lobby?" isn't a legitimate argument stick out tongue (not talking about you, it's a jab at a friend who often goes there).

Oh, I'm not comparing the arcs as a whole, I'm just noting that Ennes Lobby had Robin matter a heck of a lot.

For that matter, Alabasta had her matter.

And Skypeia had her both do a reading and had her fight a solo battle.

Rebecca's arc, as nonsensical as it is, doesn't really compare to how infamously lame Tashigi is. I mean, Rebecca learned to fight for... Reasons. Tashigi? That's her frigging job.

Right, true.

Why are people comparing it to Enies Lobby? The arc is most like Alabasta in terms of callbacks(which makes sense cause Punk Hazzard resembled Drum Island).

Indeed, it seems to follow that structure.

Though the introduction of a large amount of locals resembles Skypeia to an extent.

Both of which I liked more...

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2015 07:49 AM
wakkawakkawakka

So everyone got new wanted posters, yay! I find it odd that Luffy's bounty still isn't as high as Ace's despite everything he's been through.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2015 02:25 PM
wakkawakkawakka is currently offline Click here to Send wakkawakkawakka a Private Message Find more posts by wakkawakkawakka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
So everyone got new wanted posters, yay! I find it odd that Luffy's bounty still isn't as high as Ace's despite everything he's been through.

I don't find that odd- Ace was one of Whitebeard's best for many years, the son of Rogers, and Luffy's only done a little more than where he was at pre-skip.

I am a bit surprised that Law's is equal to Luffy's, he didn't exactly do as much.

Also I find myself struggling to remember what, if anything, Chopper did.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2015 02:38 AM
wakkawakkawakka

Well I figured escaping Impel Down and punching a Celestial Dragon prior to all of this would've carried more weight but I guess not. Since its not that much lower that Ace's at this point I can't complain.

Well Chopper got turned into art along with Nami and Brook...does that count?

Old Post Sep 25th, 2015 03:16 AM
Q99

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Well I figured escaping Impel Down and punching a Celestial Dragon prior to all of this would've carried more weight but I guess not. Since its not that much lower that Ace's at this point I can't complain.

The prior stuff got Luffy up to 400. Then he sat around not-raising his bounty for 2 years.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2015 04:12 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Law should become a Marine.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2015 01:38 PM