KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Marvel Fighters Hierarchy

Marvel Fighters Hierarchy
Started by: Krissy Von Doom

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Capt.JK
Slingin' Shield since '69

I'm confused. If we're discussing the best fighters, then you have to consider the fighter as a whole, as he appears in the comic. They're not going to come to the battlefield butt-naked with their skills or powers or whatever they bring to the table as a fighter tied up and stuck in a knapsack. You are not talking about REAL combatants, but fantastical fighters with fantastical powers that make them the fighters they are. Cap will have his Serum, because it is part of him and he was not Cap until after he took the injections and the Vita-Rays and the training in all those different forms of hand-to-hand combat. The same goes for the Black Panther or Dare Devil or any of these other guys. You can't strip them down to what their characters are NOT, and then say, "Okay, NOW who's the best?" Either we're discussing the actual characters, or we're discussing a skewed version of them.

"The only guide to a man is his conscience... with this shield, however fates may play, we march always in the ranks of honor."

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 05:16 AM
Capt.JK is currently offline Click here to Send Capt.JK a Private Message Find more posts by Capt.JK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MatchesMalone

Well, Krissy has made it clear that she is putting some limits to the powers that heroes can use in this thread. If you want people to start making lists of the best fighters with no limits of powers allowed, then you should probably make your own thread. However, if you do, you won't see any of the names you have seen here. You will see names like Thor, Superman, Hulk, etc

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 05:33 AM
MatchesMalone is currently offline Click here to Send MatchesMalone a Private Message Find more posts by MatchesMalone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Capt.JK

Not really. These are power guys who use sheer brute strength to win. Thor can fight like all hell, but every punch hits like a freight train and you know he's not following it with an elegant back spin kick to the face. I'm still talking about the hand-to-hand experts, the ones who rely most on their skill as a "martial artist" to land their punches and roll with the bad guys'. But I just don't think you can place limitations on some of them and then look at their skills equally. You can't let Dare Devil keep his radar sense, because he got that from a freak accident and then honed it to a unique fighting style. But it was just a chemical bath to the face that started it. Cap was a 98 lb. weakling until he took his injections and a Vita-Ray bath, then he grew bigger and stronger and honed his fighting skills and techniques with his new, bigger and better body. BP was an athletic son-of-a-king, but then he took a little trip into the jungle, found his herbs, and became the Black Panther (his original origin can be found in the Avengers comics way back when he was a regular member). So to strip down some fighters and not others isn't really an accurate measure of the "Best Fighters".

"The only guide to a man is his conscience... with this shield, however fates may play, we march always in the ranks of honor."

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 05:50 AM
Capt.JK is currently offline Click here to Send Capt.JK a Private Message Find more posts by Capt.JK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MatchesMalone

I definitely agree with that it. I don't think its fair for some fighters to have some advantages while other fighters do not. If I made a fighters thread, fighters would only be allowed to use abilities that can be applied and accomplished in real life. But, I am not complaining. I think Krissy can do whatever he/she wants and this thread has achieved a good deal of feedback. I realize some of my comments may have seem argumentative towards you, Capt. JK. Sorry, That is not intentional.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:01 AM
MatchesMalone is currently offline Click here to Send MatchesMalone a Private Message Find more posts by MatchesMalone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Capt.JK

It's all cool, man. I'm having a great time. My girlfriend thinks we're ALL a bunch of dorks, but I'm having a great time. I jump on these to argue for Cap because he's my favorite and I love comic books and I'm teaching my son to love and respect them too. Some of my BEST childhood memories involve my love of comics and the games and fun that sprang up out of those pieces of paper (Megos Rule!). Keep it coming, man.

*Note: This last entry should only be read with some soft violin music playing in the background.*

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:11 AM
MatchesMalone

That's good that you are showing comics to your son. He may aspire to be like them which would instill good moral values at a young age. It is also an added bonus that you mainly show him a hero like Captain America. Most super heroes have a very slight tint of evil in them. But heroes like Captain America and Superman are symbols of truth and justice.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:22 AM
Capt.JK

Yeah, I'm not a Supes fan at all, but I like his values. I think the popular thing nowadays is to make the hero too gritty and "walks a thin line between good and bad". I like Cap for one reason because to him, a hero is a hero - plain and simple. (The other reason is because I inherited some 1940's Captain America comics that traveled around in my grandfather's footlocker when he fought the Japanese in WW2. He passed them on to me. They're in pretty ratty shape, but I wouldn't trade them or the memories of my grandfather reading them with me when I was a kid for the world.) He's the reason I fell in love with comics in the first place, Captain America specifically.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:40 AM
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

I say no powers. Only martial skill. Or i'd argue Galactus.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:50 AM
MERCILOUS is currently offline Click here to Send MERCILOUS a Private Message Find more posts by MERCILOUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Capt.JK

Oh please. The Wonder Twins would eat him for breakfast. "Form of... a gerbil! Form of... a puddle of drool!" Kick AZZ!!!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:54 AM
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

You get my point though. Although I'd say weapons count, cause that's part of martial skill.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 06:58 AM
MERCILOUS is currently offline Click here to Send MERCILOUS a Private Message Find more posts by MERCILOUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Capt.JK

But do you consider physical enhancement as a power, or just part of the character? Shooting fireballs out of your butt is a power, but I think DD's radar sense is really just his form of seeing the punches coming at him (albeit much better than most). You can't take away Cap's Serum, because then he's not Cap anymore. Thor or Galactus or Surfer are easily more powerful, but none of them spring to mind when you think of hand-to-hand combatants. Those are the likes of Cap, DD, Shanh-Chi, Black Panther, Iron Fist, etc. Superman is NOT a great fighter. On an even playing field, Bat Man would have him eating through a tube.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 07:04 AM
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

I think DD is a fine fighter, but would not be as good without his radar sense. So i wouldn't count him. Cap's fighting ability comes from his training. Without it you would have a peak human who couldn't fight worth squat. If you want to include powers, then Silver surfer can fight at the speed of light and weilds the power cosmic most effectively. Thanos uses his sheilds and powers and technology in a martial manner. What's different from Hitman using his premonition to DD using his much enhanced radar sense? They both use it to be better fighers but take it away and all of a sudden...

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 07:13 AM
leonheartmm

capt jk, you got a son! lol, didnt picture that, hmmm, maybe i shouldnt be too shocked, but u know, i kinda thought that most people here were like young comic readers like me.
neway, i think that we really should look at the pure skill of a person, rather than his super human powers, these however do not include supe human sense{other than psionic powers like precognition, definite super human reflexes and cosmic awarerness stc}, and the people who depend upon them{like daredevil}, also the combatants, i think can only have strength upto the upper level or peak level human strength level, and it shouldnt matter how they got it{like cap} cause even if it is through a serum or sumthing, they are still not super human, and any normal weapons or weapons that do not have any powers should also be counted, if they are truly part of the character{like caps shield or electra's sai's}
anyway thats just my oppinion{i may be givin some characters too much of an advantage by includin the weapons though}

btw, between cap and shang chi, who do u people think is the better fighter, personally i think its shang.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 01:47 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

It is Shang. Shang is the Master of Kung Fu. As for every other martial art, he's just really ****ing awesome. Cap is a great fighter, but Shang was raised to be the best by the evil Fu Manchu (before Marvel lost the rights to use him--whoops!). However he always had a different set of morals than dear old dad, and upon leaving and going out into the world on his 19th birthday, he was able to embrace honor and a bunch of whimsical crap like that.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 02:56 PM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Capt.JK

[QUOTE]Originally posted by leonheartmm
[B]capt jk, you got a son! lol, didnt picture that, hmmm, maybe i shouldnt be too shocked, but u know, i kinda thought that most people here were like young comic readers like me.

Yeah, well comics have been around a long time, "son". I'm an ancient fan of 34 years of age, but I've been reading and loving comics since I was a small child. I inherited my love of comics (along with a pretty decent collection) from my grandfather, including several original Captain America comics from the 1940's that he carried in his footlocker during WW2 in the Pacific as he fought the Japanese. My collection probably stands at around 7000 books now.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 04:42 PM
leonheartmm

wow, thas a lot of comics, and i know that theyve been around longer than most people have, lol, its just that, a lot of people, and i do mean a LOT, justy grow out of the comic thing.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 04:48 PM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

lol, so now ur gonna act all grown up on me hun, callin ME "son", lol. just kiddin man.
btw, im still 16 so technically, u can call me that,lol

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 04:52 PM
Capt.JK

quote:
Originally posted by leonheartmm
a lot of people, and i do mean a LOT, justy grow out of the comic thing.

Now you sound like my girlfriend (she's only 23).

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 05:02 PM
leonheartmm

hmmm, well she has good reason to think that your a dork now doesnt she. 34 year old MAN, who has a son, and a 23 year old girlfriend{nice goin btw,34 on 23}, reading captain america, hahahahahahahahhahahaaha!

i bet uve also told her about the crushes uve had on all the comic book babes since u started readin em, lol.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 05:57 PM
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

I too inhereted my love of comics from my father, Capt.JK. Although, unluckily much of his collection was stored in sub-par conditions (unbeknownst to him, when he found out he was PISSED) and thus lost many, many gems (1st issues of X-Men, FF, Avengers, Spider-Man, many old Thor's, 1st Defenders etc.) but I still recieved about 650 comics from him. He says that's about a fifth of what he had at one time sad.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 05:57 PM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote