KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » One scene in ROTJ kinda baffles me

One scene in ROTJ kinda baffles me
Started by: Red Superfly

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

One scene in ROTJ kinda baffles me

When Luke manages to get into Jabba's palace, the Gamorrean pig guards cross their axes, as if to say "where are you going", and Luke proceeds to CHOKE them to death!

I mean, they were only doing their job - they may have just let him in if he mind tricked them. All they were doing was going "Wtf are you doing?". Had they gone to swing their axes, then fine, but they didn't, they just stood there.

That's a bit harsh for a Jedi isn't it?

Are Gamorrean pig guards born evil, and therefore deserve to die or something?

I think the Jedi's must be Jewish - they obviously dislike pig.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2004 10:45 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spearhead
Prophet

Were they choked to death, literally? I wasn't actually sure Luke had killed them off...got me messed

I'm a signature!

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 12:51 AM
Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

He didn't kill them, he just choke them for a bit so that he could get through.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 05:42 AM
Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jerico
Generic Badguy

Yer that scene for me was always baffling, i mean is he using Darth Vader's supra evil choke power there? bizzare. The pigman goes ominously still as well...

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 06:20 AM
Click here to Send Jerico a Private Message Find more posts by Jerico Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

not a single forcepower is evil, it is the entention you have behind it that makes it evil.

it's like said in the movie The Man With The Golden Gun:
"Bullets do not kill, it is the finger that pulls the trigger"

Vader had the intention in ANH to kill the poor guy that insulted the Force, he released him because his superior (Tarkin) demanded him to get released.
Luke on the otherhand just pushed them away (with possible choking) so that they would let him pass, he had no intention to "choke them to death" they are still clearly alive when he passes.

and to mindtrick someone I take they have to have a certain amount of intelligence too, something those pigs lack wink

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 11:37 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And to devleop what yerssot accurately says...

Why would you thinm Grip is innately evil anyway? It's just telekinesis applied at the throat. Do you think Push is evil? That's telekinesis too!

The powers cannot be intrinsically evil- as yerss says, it's just what you do with them. Frankly, killing someone with the Force is no morally different to sticking a sabre though their stomach. Of course, a Jedi has to watch his emotional state with such things...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 11:45 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

So what good purpose can force lightning have?

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 01:00 PM
Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

/\ well, yod a uses force lightning in ep2 to counter dooku

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 01:19 PM
Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

No he does not.
Watch Episode 2 again and u will see taht he deflects Dooku's lightning. he does not create/shoot lightning.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 01:49 PM
DenKi

Yeah that was well tight, those overgrown piglets did nothing wrong, and that Pink Snake/birdman thing what comes upto Luke after HE SCARY!!

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 04:08 PM
Click here to Send DenKi a Private Message Find more posts by DenKi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Pink/snake birdman?
Are u talking about the Twi'leek (spelling) Fortuna?

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 04:18 PM
yerssot

force lightning to heat up that juicy bantha for cooking wink

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 04:22 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

He had to do something "scary" to make himself more intimidating. He probably knew they wouldn't take his being a jedi seriously. He had to make some sort of show of force (no pun intended) in order to let them know he was not to be trifled with. It wasn't to be bad, it was to appear possibly bad. Just a bit of posturing, he knows he's going in to deal with gangsters and thugs, some of the worst in the galaxy, and all they respect is power. So he showed off a bit to put a little fear and intimidation in them.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2004 04:54 PM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parjay

He choked them? I was always under the impression that he put them to sleep, didnt they slump against the wall and start snoozing?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 12:04 PM
Click here to Send Parjay a Private Message Find more posts by Parjay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

they walked into the wall and grabbed their throat ... but it's rather unclear if it was a push or a choke imo

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 04:21 PM
Parjay

All the shooting script offers is this:

" Luke raises his hand and points at the puzzled guards, who
immediately lower their spears and fall back. The young Jedi
lowers his hand and moves on down the hallway."

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 07:27 PM
Click here to Send Parjay a Private Message Find more posts by Parjay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Morridini
So what good purpose can force lightning have?

Again... what good purpose can a Lightsabre have? These are weapons. Weapons are not inherently evil.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 07:37 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

But still, a Lightsaber is a weapon of protection, not attack. It is made so that they can protect themselves and others from blaster bolts. But i still can't see any good use for force lightning.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 07:40 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No, that it deflects blaster bolts is simply a quirk of it. It is a weapon. It is designed to KILL, and they frequently use it as such. Now, they can use that in self-defence only if they wish... but the SAME applies to Force Lightning.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 07:45 PM
The Inkeeper

A lightsaber is used for defense, it kills quickly.
Frying somebody to death isnt quick.

Plus, if a jedo only attacks for defense, why does he choke them? They werent attacking him, they just stopped him, do i try to strangle the passport people?

Im Back happy

Old Post Nov 12th, 2004 09:26 PM
Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote