KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » One scene in ROTJ kinda baffles me

One scene in ROTJ kinda baffles me
Started by: Red Superfly

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

No again, I think Sith just use the Force for completely different purposes. If stuff like lightning and choking is just for destroying people, I am quite sure the Jedi wouldn't use it. Just like pacifists will not use guns... doesn't mean a pacifist can't FIRE a gun. They just don't use it.

I think that is the case with these powers. Luke uses choke, but then he's hardly a fully trained Jedi... maybe he doesn't have that clear distinction yet. And what Palpy may also mean with that lightning is that he is much stronger than half-trained-Luke... He subdued Anakin, and now he destroys the Jedi's last hope. That's the full power of the Dark Side he suggests, that the Dark Side overcomes all... But he was a little wrong there.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2014 08:52 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlold
Supreme Gentleman Member

choke did not kill in my view. both with vader and luke.

as for the jew reference, was not really needed.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 01:44 PM
Click here to Send overlold a Private Message Find more posts by overlold Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by overlold
choke did not kill in my view.

since we're all quibbling over technicalities, i couldnt help but notice that there has been no actual proof on screen that force lightning can kill.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 07:02 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

True, but we never saw it come to completion. So it's an educated guess that it certainly could.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by overlold
choke did not kill in my view. both with vader and luke.

as for the jew reference, was not really needed.

Jew reference??? What are you talking about?

Old Post Oct 29th, 2014 03:31 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's always been obvious to me that Luke did NOT kill those guards but just got them out of his way long enough to get by. He choked them, yes, but he didn't kill them.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2014 02:27 AM
Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

oy vey! what am i being accused of saying, now?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2014 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Exactly... very strange.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2014 09:35 PM
Ace Hambone

Luke only applied the choking for a few seconds, and you can't choke to death in a few seconds, so if he's choking them he wasn't trying to kill them.

But, who knows? Maybe he inadvertently crushed a windpipe, or maybe he was also constricting a vein in the neck so they would pass out faster and he ruptured the vein, or caused a stroke or something. It's very possible one of them was seriously injured or killed.

This is a pet peeve of mine. Usually in the movies the hero bonks someone over the head (or gets bonked), and it is presumed they merely passed out to awaken later perfectly fine. But brain injuries are serious business, there could be hematomas, post-concussion syndrome, and a number of long-term health consequences that could mess up their lives for years.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2014 06:54 PM
Click here to Send Ace Hambone a Private Message Find more posts by Ace Hambone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cornponious
Kuntrious Kokious Maximus

I think I just saw yerssot.

The Moto Dork

Old Post Nov 5th, 2014 03:08 AM
Click here to Send cornponious a Private Message Find more posts by cornponious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Your eyes can deceive you.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2014 04:47 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The "choking" is a power of an inherently dark and evil nature is something that came after-the-fact, in the post-movie over-analysis.

He suffocated a talking pigman. F*ck that pigman.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2014 09:06 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kickballjedi

I believe the entire opening sequence of Jedi is to show how the main characters have matured. We see Princess Leia act like a ruthless bounty hunter, then we see Lando disguise himself as an evil guard, then Luke enters wearing all black and throwing force chokes around. He nearly force grabbed a laser gun to straight up shoot Jabba! Only the pit trap stopped him! Sweet Princess Leia lays around in a sexy bikini waiting for her chance to choke Jabba to death!

The characters have adapted. They aren't the innocent goody-goods of Episode 4 anymore. They've been betrayed, beaten, and defeated at every turn. Luke using the force to get a couple of Pig Guards out of his way to save his friend is nothing.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 04:02 PM
Click here to Send Kickballjedi a Private Message Find more posts by Kickballjedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Alright to clear this up here...

quote:

Almost immediately two Gamorreans stepped up, blocking his path. One spoke in a voice that did not invite debate. 'No chuba!'

Luke raised his hand and pointed at the guards. Before either could draw a weapon, they were both clutching their own throats, choking, gasping. They fell to their knees.

Luke lowered his hand and walked on. The guards, suddenly able to breathe again, slumped to the sanddrifted steps. They didn't follow.

- Taken from ROTJ novel

He didn't kill them, he choked them yes, but really just to immobilize them.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2014 04:31 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Ah, good one.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2014 10:36 AM