KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Arwen/Glorfindel

Arwen/Glorfindel
Started by: Smodden

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

Arwen/Glorfindel

I have a few interesting topics to bring up, regarding Arwen's role in FOTR.

Remember in FOTR when Arwen finds wounded Frodo, Strider, Sam, Merry, and Pippen in the woods at night...The nazgul are chasing them, and she arives, and tells Strider that she's been searching for TWO days????? but no explanation is given, as to why she had been searching, and why she even set out in the first place...We KNOW in the book that Glorfindell is supposed to find them, and hang out with them for a while, and then help them. But why has Arwen been looking for Strider and Frodo for two days? How did she know they needed help??(plot hole, or elven instinctand WHY is it HER in the films, instead of Glorfindel? why is glorfindel overlooked completly??
how about some Logical reasons they replaced Glorfy with Arwen???
I understand they wanted arwen to be in the film more, but it still leaves some more questions...unanswered....

wink

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 05:33 AM
Smodden is currently offline Click here to Send Smodden a Private Message Find more posts by Smodden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

Re: Arwen/Glorfindel

quote:
Originally posted by Smodden
How did she know they needed help??

Elven instinct or a plot hole are the only explanations I can conjure up. no expression
quote:
how about some Logical reasons they replaced Glorfy with Arwen??? I understand they wanted arwen to be in the film more, but it still leaves some more questions...unanswered....

wink

Arwen replaces Glorfindel for three reasons, as far as I can tell.

First of all, this is a movie. You can't have a zillion characters running around, and expect people to remember each and every one of them. There are time-constraints as well. If Jackson were to stick in Glorfindel, and then proceed to setting up the relationship between Aragorn and Arwen, that would have taken ages.

Second of all, you can't catch a single glimpse of Arwen in Rivendell in the first film, and then, two years later, suddenly have the same chick marrying Aragorn out of the blue. Neither does the sort of narrative subtlety that characterizes Aragorn's longing for Arwen in the book exactly work in a cinematic medium. All these questions of pacing come up. And frankly, I can't picture modern audiences getting particularly excited over a relationship that was to be developed in the exact manner that it is in the book. It wouldn't come across as exciting, or tender, or even meaningful. It would mostly be like, "Um, what? Why is he going for the boring Elf chick when Eowyn is such hot stuff?" Once again, because cinema works differently.

Third of all, Liv Tyler looks hot on a horse. Just being honest with that. Period.

I was actually pretty satisfied with the way Arwen was portrayed in the first film. Seeing her being chased by the Nazgul was something. And I thought the kissing scene on the bridge worked. I thought it had just the right amount of melodrama and mystic. Not to mention the great background music. happy

Last edited by shadowy_blue on Nov 28th, 2004 at 05:51 AM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 05:47 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

yet again we have an answer smile

due to my lack of interest in Arwen I cant answer this question very good. SB is right about the audiences going "what the....". If you ask for Glorfindel in it you might as well ask all the other people who wasnt in the movies but were quite neccessary in the book

Discos - and we sure aint going into that again.

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:21 AM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

Re: Re: Arwen/Glorfindel

quote:
Originally posted by shadowy_blue
Third of all, Liv Tyler looks hot on a horse. Just being honest with that. Period.

cool
eek!

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 05:55 PM
Smodden is currently offline Click here to Send Smodden a Private Message Find more posts by Smodden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

Elrond sent people out in all directions when he heard the nazgul were looking, Shad, i thought you would have gotten that one stick out tongue

Arwen instead of glorfy? Glorfy doesnt add anything to the story, its a golden oppertunity to put in aragorns love interest yes

Im Back happy

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 06:03 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thorondor
Love?

Liv Tyler doesn't look hot on anything or anywhere

*locks liv away in a room

roll eyes (sarcastic)

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 06:10 PM
Thorondor is currently offline Click here to Send Thorondor a Private Message Find more posts by Thorondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

quote:
Originally posted by Discos
If you ask for Glorfindel in it you might as well ask all the other people who wasnt in the movies but were quite neccessary in the book

Yes, I think your right, Many other characters were not included in the movies. I do like, however when characters say other character's lines...e.g. Treebeard saying Tom's lines...ect...

Introducing Glorfindell...may be unneccesary, and may help build arwen up a little...(as s-b said)...and I'm fine with how it came out...but I do miss glorfindell...in the movie.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 06:14 PM
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

quote:
Originally posted by Thorondor
Liv Tyler doesn't look hot on anything or anywhere

*locks liv away in a room

roll eyes (sarcastic)

How dare you speak against the lady liv!

*locks myself in liv's room*

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 06:15 PM
Thorondor
Love?

*runs and tells shadowy

A God Among Geeks

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 07:17 PM
Thorondor is currently offline Click here to Send Thorondor a Private Message Find more posts by Thorondor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Sauron
Elrond sent people out in all directions when he heard the nazgul were looking, Shad, i thought you would have gotten that one stick out tongue

LOL..stick out tongue

But why would he send Arwen out? Basing on what we saw in TTT, he's pretty much the over-protective kind of dad. no expression

Unless Arwen rode out without Elrond's knowledge?

quote:
Originally posted by Smodden
How dare you speak against the lady liv!

*locks myself in liv's room*

roll eyes (sarcastic)

*pulls Smodden out*

roll eyes (sarcastic)

stick out tongue

Last edited by shadowy_blue on Nov 28th, 2004 at 07:23 PM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 07:20 PM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

Well apparently she was riding aragorn for a few years before elrond knew....

Im Back happy

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 07:25 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Sauron
Well apparently she was riding aragorn for a few years before elrond knew....

LMAO!!! laughing

shifty

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 07:26 PM
Discos
The Discmeister

ok guys thia is turning into a column out of one of my favourite "adult education" magazines.

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 07:31 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

quote:
Originally posted by shadowy_blue
Unless Arwen rode out without Elrond's knowledge?

Yes, that could be it. I can really see it in my mind now...Arwen, after hearing that the nazgul are after Strider, Begs her father to go search for him, but elrond resists her saying it's to dangerous, I will not risk my daughter, do you not also have MY love, ect...But she leaves anyway, and saves the day.no expression

but wait, that kinda sounds like eowynmessed

Don't forget her words to Strider:"I'm the better rider"
she's probably very experienced with riding and tracking(haning out with Strider so long...stick out tongue) and she knows her father will protect her....So her father could have let her go, but It still seems unlikely that her father would let her go, after seeing the two towers.no expression

Another thing I would like to point out...is that Sam says, they were six(I think) days from Rivendell, they'll never make it. But Arwen rides with Frodo to Rivendell in just one night...At least it appears to be just one night...She must be a very good rider.erm

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 09:16 PM
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

smile...

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 09:24 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smodden
Keyblade Chosen

quote:
Originally posted by ladygrim
smile...

Thank you, ladygrim.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 09:37 PM
Discos
The Discmeister

lol exactly smodden, thanks LG...

mmm....very very good points their Smodden, you are bafflin me with these questions lol.

right heres my 2 cent worth. I say Arwen's horse (who really did have a bigger party in the books i think) must of been really really fast and since she is a good rider ect. PLUS she was being chased by the Nazgul, that causes for some extra "nos" into the horse power stick out tongue

second, I have no idea why Arwen went searching for them, I wouldnt think anyone in Rivendell knew they were "out there"? I havnt checked up on the book in quite a while, gwaihir may have reported in or something else?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 09:46 PM
Grizzwald

From my limited understanding of LOTR Arwen was but prize for Aragorn to be given by Elrond once he'd returned as king, liberated Gondor and defeated the armies of Mordor leaving the Dark Lord all but overthrown (no where near as cool as Luthien).
Their love I feel was more than adequately symbolized in the movie what with the 'gift' that Aragorn bore and the denial of Eowyn etc... so showing up unexpectedly, replacing an elf lord and robbing Frodo of his power in his defiance of the will of the nine riders at the ford seems totally unnecessary.

But then again, who knows...perhaps the movie would have been even better if Arwen had done even more..? Slayed the balrog instead of Gandalf, why not? Taken the ring into mordor? It could happen.. I mean if you're going to make ridiculous changes that can be justified with speculation...why stop there?

I do understand changing subject matter to suit the medium, but this change just seemed totally worthless and has annoyed me for a long time.

I'm just glad there is a place where finally I can vent my frustration.
Not here...I mean when I torch PJ's (and possibly Fran Walsh's) house/s for tampering with a masterpiece. mwhuhahaha

Old Post Jan 24th, 2013 05:43 PM
Grizzwald is currently offline Click here to Send Grizzwald a Private Message Find more posts by Grizzwald Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote