KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Advant why is this celebrated when Christmas is supose to be a pagan hoilday?

Advant why is this celebrated when Christmas is supose to be a pagan hoilday?
Started by: Jackie Malfoy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
finti

another tale of how christians stole a symbol of others to take it as their own

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 10:51 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

Due my sucky computer and my recent inability to read Jackie Malfoy's intitial post, im just going to have to go by the thread title and what came up in the preveiw box (which wasnt anything worth replying to)

ok, since when was Christmas a pagan holiday? Christmas (as far as i have heard...do quote me on this) came about as a holiday clebrating the birth of Christ Jesus. Advent (the four weeks before Christmas Day) and supposed to be a time of penance and preparation, preparing for Jesus's birthday.
see, there are four candles on an advent wreath:
purple -penance
purple -more penance
pink -oh ya! this is supposed to be a happy time! :^D
purple- ok, one more week...penance

the only reason i can think of as to why you might think christmas is a pagen holiday is because practicly everyone christian or not celebrates it. the giving present part of Christmas came about because of the three wise men when they game the baby Jesus insence and stuff. Athiest people may celebrate Christmas, you'll never here them admit it, but they're celebrating a Christian holiday.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:17 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

finti, I can go and look up my prof middle-ages to give a complete rundown on what they stole

nazzie > it is because it's NOT originally the birth of jezus, they just changed it to fit the pagan holiday
quote:
Originally posted by Ytaker
The Greeks were the first, cutting down the trees for the Goddess Adonia (who was resurrected by Aessulapius, a doctor so good at his trade he could bring the dead back to life).

no, the egyptians were first.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:23 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot

nazzie > it is because it's NOT originally the birth of jezus, they just changed it to fit the pagan holiday

im confused now. confused
what was Christmas originally used for then?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:27 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Nazgulinthedark
im confused now. confused
what was Christmas originally used for then?

From the previous page...

In a very vague nutshell:

Yule is the most common name given to the old pre Christian tradition of celebrating the winter solstice on/near the 22nd of December. Its the shortest day of the year and so meant that Spring was "on its way" back. The return of the sun, the rebirth of the gods who died at the onset of winter. People would celebrate by getting together, making a huge fire and feasting.

When the Christian Church was trying to spread its word, it knew it would have real trouble getting all the pagan (non Christian) people to gie up the traditions they already had - so they placed Christian holidays "over" the pagans ones so they could say "keep on celebrating as you always have, but in the name of christ rather than your old gods"

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:30 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

it was at first a pagan celebration, celebrating the shortest day of the year (I don't know the correct english term)
when the preachers came to europe, they couldn't totally destroy that religion because no one would accept it like that.
So they went and incorporated certain elements of that pagan religion into christianity and they picked that celebration to get changed into christmas

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:31 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

oh confused ok, that makes more sense smile

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:32 PM
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

Think about it, what does burning a log, eating, kissing under mistletoe, decorating a tree and Santa have to do with Jesus?

They are all non-christian traditions that the big C has overlaid with a veneer of Jesus worship. Fr instance - You put decorations on the tree to symbolise the fruit and bloom that will return in spring and summer, its sympathetic magic, calling to the old gods to bring back the sun for another year.

Last edited by Mr Zero on Nov 28th, 2004 at 11:39 PM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:34 PM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot
it was at first a pagan celebration, celebrating the shortest day of the year (I don't know the correct english term)

We heathens tend to stick with the romans on this - "Saturnalia,"

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:37 PM
yerssot

sorry, didn't see your post Zero smile

ah well, I'm too tired to think much about this at all stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:40 PM
Naz
Super Senior Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Zero
Think about it, what does burning a log, eating, kissing under mistletoe, decorating a tree and Santa have to do with Jesus?

They are all non-christian traditions that the big C has overlaid with a veneer of Jesus worship. Fr instance - You put decorations on the tree to symbolise the fruit and bloom that will return in spring and summer, its sympathetic magic, calling to the old gods to bring back the sun for another year.

the yule log...i have no idea what that is for, im not even sure thats a Christian thing, its not a Catholic thing, I know that erm
Santa is an adaption of St. Nicholas who supposedly left presents in childrens shoes that were by the front door on christmas. the coming down the chimney thing i beleive came about because he would throw sacks of gold through an open window and they would land next to the fire place. erm somthing like that...
mistle toe i think is a recent commercial thing made up by super markets...i dont think it has anythign to do with Jesus...could be wrong though...probably am wrong erm

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:47 PM
yerssot

I thought the only 'official' legend of him was that this guy killed three girls, cut them in pieces and hid them and that Nicolas revived them?

and another that he gave money to the poor or something? have to recheck

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:51 PM
Jackie Malfoy
Jacks

Strange but some parents will not tell the kids about santa because they are afraid that then the kids will not believe the reason is that Jesus was born.
I think that is someting to do with Santa and jesus.But I too could be wrong about that too.JM I never was told about santa as a kid.My parents did not want to lie to me so I never believe in him.JM

Lord Matt Parker Clare moose Clovie Danii furryman Shellie Jason Yoda(Son) chris Slipknot English(son)a1hsauce ROB Penny Alice and Taft Napalm Sim Telperala Bardock42 Aku Lara Spriderman Lady Slytherin Mike Cherrypie and Fearnix Raggie Dark1365 Syren Tired Hiker LadyGrim and Spoonly(mypimp)Puddin Gisele FEDfan316 and Dean spazzymcgee14 Kharhmah Pink Diamond Lazerus(Husband) Syko Freak Lance Bordom Laurie kelly jason Bert Tecknoyashi Maya Grand Moff Gav(Lawer) Fopret Ketchuptome23453245 Gen Grevious(son) Chelsea17 Snehin Apollox Shaggy2dope(son)Big Evil Twelling4ever Powerfulone DamienB Mew Cherry Leowyatt.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2004 11:55 PM
Jackie Malfoy is currently offline Click here to Send Jackie Malfoy a Private Message Find more posts by Jackie Malfoy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Malfoy
My parents did not want to lie to me so I never believe in him.JM

Coincidentally - my parents were the same with me about Jesus.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 12:45 AM
Darth Revan
-

quote:
Originally posted by finti
another tale of how christians stole a symbol of others to take it as their own

Now Finti... Just about every modern religion has done this at some point or another. As un-Christian as I am, it's not really fair to be angry at them for doing that when it's a very common thing. stick out tongue

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 01:01 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

you're right, every politician uses lies wink

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 01:10 AM
finti

quote:
Now Finti... Just about every modern religion has done this at some point or another. As un-Christian as I am, it's not really fair to be angry at them for doing that when it's a very common thing
aint angry at them at all, just telling the facts

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 10:11 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Christ wasnt even born in December.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 10:22 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

what does a fat man in a red suit with a white beard who delivers presents to good little boys and girls in a flying sleigh have to do with Christ?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 04:21 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
what does a fat man in a red suit with a white beard who delivers presents to good little boys and girls in a flying sleigh have to do with Christ?
dont know, this christ due mess up xmas

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 04:58 PM