KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Advant why is this celebrated when Christmas is supose to be a pagan hoilday?

Advant why is this celebrated when Christmas is supose to be a pagan hoilday?
Started by: Jackie Malfoy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cipher
Non-Entity

Easter is like that, too. A pagan holiday converted into a christian one.....

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 08:10 PM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

easter was celebreted by the jews as passover (commemorating the freedom and exodus of the Israelites)

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 09:19 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ytaker
Humpty the whale.

quote:
Originally posted by yerssot

no, the egyptians were first.

Didn't they use a deciduous tree? A palm tree to be precise? It's not very Christmas tree like unless the tree can resist winter. They're a borderline case. The Greeks were the first to do what I talked about, find a tree that could resist winter, and celebrate with it.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 09:33 PM
Ytaker is currently offline Click here to Send Ytaker a Private Message Find more posts by Ytaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
It's not very Christmas tree like unless the tree can resist winter
Yeah cause Egypt is such a snowresort stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 09:34 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

there is always a startpoint somewhere and some would place it with the greek and some with the egyptians

Old Post Nov 29th, 2004 09:36 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

Actually, the concept of decorating a tree with lights came from Germany (at least with pine trees) as I recall.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 07:26 AM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

guess the Egyptians and Greeks had difficult hanging their lights on the trees wink

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 07:31 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

1st of advent todaybig grin

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 09:44 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

hmm 1st of advent was on last sunday here in Norway

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 09:46 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

???
I thought it was meant to be december 1st

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 10:04 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

here in Norway it is the last 4 sundays before xmas. To be able to make that happen one of the Sundays have to be in November unless xmas eve falls on a Sunday. We celebrete xmas at the 24th not the 25th.
So for Norway it starts on the 4th Sunday in advance of xmas eve, actually I thought that was the same for all western churches.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 11:06 AM
eleveninches
God of my own world

advent starts on dec 1st here (i think), as advent calenders start from dec 1st

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 11:19 AM
finti

Advent and advent calender aint really the same. Advent is the church thing for the waitng period while the calenders is for childrens.
I use to live in Arkansas and at least there they celebrated Advent the same way as in Norway

Old Post Dec 1st, 2004 12:39 PM
The Omega
Z10N0101

The Catholic Encyclopedia even admits that NOONE knows when the Christian Jesus was supposedly born:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm

It seems some Roman Emperor made a new Winter Solstice festival on December 25th, which was then consequently converted into the day were Christians celebrated the birth of Jesus. There are also tales of semi-gnostics in Alexandria worshipping a virgin goddess Korê (I think), and in the same contry you find images of isis with baby-Horus which looks like Mary with Jesus but are far older...

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2004 11:30 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

quote:
Originally posted by eleveninches
advent starts on dec 1st here (i think), as advent calenders start from dec 1st

oops. sorry. you were right about it starting 4 sundays before christmas.
I just got confused because advent calenders start on dec 1st

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 09:41 AM
finti

smile

Old Post Dec 3rd, 2004 03:47 PM
Cipher
Non-Entity

Arkansas and Norway? You get around finti........

Old Post Dec 5th, 2004 11:01 AM
frodo34x
^_^

quote:
Originally posted by The Omega
The Catholic Encyclopedia even admits that NOONE knows when the Christian Jesus was supposedly born:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm
Well Jesus knows...

quote:
From the Simpsons And now its Snata! Everyones favorite guy, whether your Christian or just non-Jewish!

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 5th, 2004 10:42 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Not Philosophy...moving...

Old Post Dec 6th, 2004 12:40 AM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
furryman
honky

Damn Victorians, what have they ever done for us?

Old Post Dec 6th, 2004 12:49 AM
furryman is currently offline Click here to Send furryman a Private Message Find more posts by furryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote