KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » where to start for EU

where to start for EU
Started by: jimmy986

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jimmy986

where to start for EU

i would like to start readingh some of the EU stuff.i was wondering if there was a place i could find a list of the books in a chronological format or somewhere that can help me so i know where i can start so i am not reading stuff in random order. i am also more interested in books that are involved with the movie(ie. about the characters like luke han anakin obi-wan) or about the republic and sith in general that leads to or is effected by the movies. i really dont want to read stories that have absolutely nothing to do with the movies except they take place in the same universe. thanks for any help you can give.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 08:18 PM
Click here to Send jimmy986 a Private Message Find more posts by jimmy986 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

If u wan't to read something set after ROTJ I would start with the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn. And u might also want to look at these other thread similar to this one:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...ght=which+books

and

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...ght=which+books

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Last edited by Morridini on Dec 18th, 2004 at 08:57 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 08:55 PM
Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

hey morridini, do you know what series it is that deals with Luke joining the darkside then coming back? I cant remember for anything.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 02:43 AM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spearhead
Prophet

Completely disregard chronological order. EU authors came to an agreement that their stories would relate and build off each other, and, like morrindi said, Timothy Zahn's Dark Force/Thrawn trilogy (whatever you want to call is) is what virtually all of the EU books are based off of.

I'm a signature!

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 05:33 AM
Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
hey morridini, do you know what series it is that deals with Luke joining the darkside then coming back? I cant remember for anything.

That's not in the books, it's in the comics. And I don't know which as I haven't read any Star Wars comics.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 10:36 AM
Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuk es't
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dark Empire

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 11:12 AM
Click here to Send wuk es't a Private Message Find more posts by wuk es't Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

yup, just wanted to say that jf...

and the only good EU books that are out, are from Heir of the Empire.
Stay clear of works that contain superweapons. Some works of the NJO are good too (Star By Star)...
Further you can try to read some Clone Wars novels (Cestus Deception is up till now still decent and the Mace Windu one, forgot the name)

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 11:31 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jimmy986

so i should start reading from the heir to the empire trilogy and then just pick up ones that seem interesting.my only question is : since you said not to follow the books chronologically i assume books by different author do not follow one story line they just agreed to not writre contradictory books.is that correct? i was also wondering if there is a page that lists every book with descriptions.thanks

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 05:17 PM
Click here to Send jimmy986 a Private Message Find more posts by jimmy986 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jimmy986

also im a little confused the way people are talkign about timothy zahns books. are the heir to the empire, thrawn trilogy, and darkempire all the same just different names?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 05:37 PM
Morridini
Morridini

For your second question.
The Heir to the Empire is the first book in a trilogy about Thrawn, but the trilogy doesn't have an official name. So it's often mentioned as the Heir to the Empire trilogy or the Thrawn trilogy. The Dark Empire has nothing to do with that trilogy. That's the name of the comic where Luke turned to the Dark Side.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 05:41 PM
Morridini
Morridini

And here I found a EU books timeline: http://www.geocities.com/ksw_site/s...s_eu_books.html

BBY means Before Battle of Yavin, while ABY means After battle of Yavin.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 05:59 PM
jimmy986

i am also very interested in books involving jedi. obviously a lot of them will but in all honesty where would star wars be without the jedi.i love the OT but after watching the the TPM and AOTC and then watching the OT i miss the lack of the jedi. i still like the OT more but i love the saber fights.i could watch the PT just b/c of the saber fights. that is one reason i think it would be interesting to see an Ep 7,8,9 with Luke restoring the republic and jedi order(both slightly modified) into something better than it once was.so what books are good and involve the jedi side of the SW universe

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 06:55 PM
Morridini
Morridini

The New Jedi order would suit u I think.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2004 07:27 PM
EyeOfApocalypse

Definitely the Timothy Zahn books, I've not had the chance to read any of the New Jedi Order yet; but I have read the Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn Duology, they're superb

The Thrawn Trilogy
Heir To The Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

Hand of Thrawn Duology
Specter Of The Past
Vision Of The Future

Enjoy!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 10:48 PM
Click here to Send EyeOfApocalypse a Private Message Find more posts by EyeOfApocalypse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
smoker4
Me name be Leon

Anything by zahn is good, also i like kevin j andersons stuff!

F**k you Loggins

Old Post Jan 15th, 2005 11:41 PM
Click here to Send smoker4 a Private Message Find more posts by smoker4 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Areora

I have no idea what EU is...HELP ME OUT HERE GUYS!!! lol

Old Post Jan 16th, 2005 10:03 PM
Click here to Send Areora a Private Message Find more posts by Areora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
smoker4
Me name be Leon

Hi Areora EU= Expanded Universe, basically anything to do with the star wars universe not written by George Lucas e.g the clone wars cartoons, the new jedi order paper backs, dark horse comics etc.....

Hope that helps

The Smoker smokin'

F**k you Loggins

Old Post Jan 17th, 2005 09:05 PM
Click here to Send smoker4 a Private Message Find more posts by smoker4 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote