KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey

Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deano

whats this wargames ?

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2005 06:56 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

war games...youve never seen it...mathew broderick is in it but its not a total loss because of it...

great film actually...up there with my childhood favourites such as "flight of the navigator" and "D.A.R.Y.L"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2005 07:04 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

you forgot 'The Explorers' too

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2005 10:10 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PIZZA WARRIOR

Another thing about this movie is that it is a favorite of the astronauts, because it gives a realistic vision of space travel, and from their viewpoint, they should know.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2005 08:42 PM
PIZZA WARRIOR is currently offline Click here to Send PIZZA WARRIOR a Private Message Find more posts by PIZZA WARRIOR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Sorry, that's already been mentioned, and as I said, actually astronauts are rather picky, and the mistakes in it have been pointed out.

More realisitc than most, obviously. All the more impressive, then, that it was made before the moon landings. But not ACTAULLY realistic in a literal sense, from things they knew were mistakes but put in so as to not confuse the public- like twinkling stars- to mistakes of limitations in how travel works- way over-roomy spacecraft- to the thing they got plain wrong, which Clarke himself was annoyed about- Bowman breathing in before decompression.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2005 08:53 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

quote:
Originally posted by Ushgarak
He's way past the War Games comp, to be honest.

How so? pray tell

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Old Post Mar 4th, 2005 12:35 AM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gentmax

If you couldn't understand the ending of the movie, and I didn't at first, read the book. It isn't a huge novel or anything like that, and it completely explains what is happening and the end, what the monoliths are, etc. I believe that it actually makes the movie better.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2005 04:48 PM
gentmax is currently offline Click here to Send gentmax a Private Message Find more posts by gentmax Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Do remember that Kubrick had issues with the book though.

How so? Well, what could the WG coimputer do, at the end of the day? And the way ot was stopped shows a relatively primitive logic set-up.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 5th, 2005 05:09 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

im ...afraid ush

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Mar 5th, 2005 07:57 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
el_barto
I'm So Bored With the USA

I thought the movie was ok, if it was faster paced I could probably enjoy it more.

You Call This a New Way of Thinking? I Call This Regression to Ignorance.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2005 07:02 PM
el_barto is currently offline Click here to Send el_barto a Private Message Find more posts by el_barto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 5th, 2005 01:02 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

The movie was released a year before the moon landings, and the astronauts would comment that the experience of space travel was very much like what was shown in 2001. That's a high compliement for it's realism.
I generally consider this my favourite film, as I have watched it since I was a young teenager. And I am a big Star Wars fan, and also of LOTR, Blade Runner, Alien and the rest. No film has ever jumped so high in showing man's capacity for transcendence; intellectually and physically.

Watching it again recently, I have come up with new ideas. Despite what was explained in 2010 regarding Hal's programming conflict, the subtext of his eventual battle with Dave goes all the way back to the ape with the bone. The Monolith apears, and the seeds of intelligent growth come to one tribe. An ape sees a bone, and it becomes in his eyes something new - a weapon to hunt with. A tool. Jump forward thousands of years, and the most-cutting edge tool is a spacecraft with an A.I. computer, running things like any crew member. But then the conflict starts when the machine is fallable. Except, now the 'tool' is sentient (or is it mimickry?), and reasons that the lifeform would not have gotten anywhere in history without the tool. Who is more deserving of destiny, discovering their unseen benefactor somewhere around Jupiter? So Dave has to do the desperate move of re-boarding the ship without his space helmet, calling upon raw animal courage - something Hal does not have - coming all the way from his caveman ancestors, to defeat the machine.
Another idea - when the tribe of apes become more sentient, carrying clubs, and walking more upright, it is a stage for evolution. But then we see Dr. Floyd on the space station, refusing to give information to his Russian science colleagues; the idea of staying within your 'tribe' still exists.
And lastly - where does anyone think the circular section with the sleeping beds and eating area was? It was large enough to use as a running track; but could it have fit in the head bubble area? The cockpit and lower bay area seem to take up enough space that it couldn't be there; maybe the central section, under the antenna?
FX is as impressive as ever. Imaginitive use of in-camera tricks, mechanical rotating sets, and rear projection screens. All the Dawn Of Man sequence is under a studio roof - amazing.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2006 05:00 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Over the decades, many have called 2001 The Best Science Fiction movie ever made, and one of The Best Movies ever made, period. Visually stunning, musically stirring and intellectually challenging, no other movie gives as realistic a sense as this one of First Contact with an extraterrestrial intelligence. The fact that it is not easily understandable, at first, only adds to the realism of its content.

Star Wars, Independence Day, Close Encounters, etc, etc are all a lotta fun, great films in their own right. But they are afternoon matinee snacks compared to the full course dinner that is 2001.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2006 06:18 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

Try to get hold of AC clarke's short, The Sentinel.... this was the starting point for 2001..... and remember, Clarke himself said that there is no reason for anyone to assume that 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 are at all related to each other.... the Frank Poole of one may simply share a name and a few experiences with the Frank Poole of another....

Old Post Jan 27th, 2006 08:24 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Read it many years ago. Classic example of how a simple premise, well told, can ignite the sense of awe and wonderment.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2006 08:53 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by big gay kirk
Try to get hold of AC clarke's short, The Sentinel.... this was the starting point for 2001..... and remember, Clarke himself said that there is no reason for anyone to assume that 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 are at all related to each other.... the Frank Poole of one may simply share a name and a few experiences with the Frank Poole of another....

Have the story in a collection at home. It's a book of short stories that all went on to be made into feature films, like The Fly, Who Goes There?(Thing from Another World), The Fog Horn (Beast from 20,000 Fathoms) A Boy and his Dog, and several others.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2006 09:03 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by big gay kirk

Except that never really made any sense, did it? They are so obviously sequels in the same continuity; he was just glossing over differences in style and providing a get-out route for any continuity errors.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 5th, 2006 03:06 PM
General_Iroh
White Guy

I just started reading the book and got to the lift off um does the movie have the whole ape man thing with absolutely no talkin?

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 11:04 PM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by FG725
I just started reading the book and got to the lift off um does the movie have the whole ape man thing with absolutely no talkin?

Yes. The first spoken sentence is about 22 minutes in.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2006 11:41 PM
General_Iroh
White Guy

lol man thats well odd so no narrarator or anything is it just grunts?

Old Post Feb 7th, 2006 03:09 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote