KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey

Stanley Kubricks 2001 A Space Odyssey
Started by: Deano

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Adamwankenobi
Restricted

Account Restricted

[Edit.]

Last edited by Storm on Feb 7th, 2006 at 12:59 PM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2006 11:52 AM
Adamwankenobi is currently offline Click here to Send Adamwankenobi a Private Message Find more posts by Adamwankenobi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FG725
lol man thats well odd so no narrarator or anything is it just grunts?

No narration at all, in the entire film. Kubrick paints visuals for us to interpret. I saw the film the first time when I was maybe 12, 13. I could understand what was happening with the apes, without dialogue. The Monolith appears to one tribe, they become more intelligent and also more savage - an irony Kubrick is fond of. Evolution is Darwinism; survival of the fittest. Exact parallel late in the film, with the battle between HAL and Dave Bowman.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 7th, 2006 03:55 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Do remember that Kubrick had issues with the book though.

How so? Well, what could the WG coimputer do, at the end of the day? And the way ot was stopped shows a relatively primitive logic set-up.

It was a short story first. Clarke wrote the book the same time he was writing the script with Kubrick.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 05:41 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Watched it again on my new Widescreen HDTV. Colours and detail are outstanding for a 38-year old film. Until we get more advanced space travel, this will never look dated, other than a few costumes.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2006 06:04 PM
superman41082

This may be the Greatest Film Ever!

I was hoping to find a forum on this. I'm enjoying lots of your perspectives on it. I love this movie and I think it may be the greatest movie of all time!!!!

Old Post Apr 26th, 2006 10:04 PM
superman41082 is currently offline Click here to Send superman41082 a Private Message Find more posts by superman41082 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
superman41082

Man........... this is the most subtle movie ever. I can't believe you guys are saying this is boring. Instead of Hollywood cliches, this movie is totally up for interpretation, and there is so much symoblism. The whole premise of the movie is out of control, too. This movie was completely ahead of it's time, and if it was made now, would still be decades ahead of it's time. What an unbelievable triumph. If the movie seemed hard to follow, you should watch it again. I think it's the greatest movie of all time!!!!

P.S. If anyone has any questions about what this or that meant, send me a private message and I'll be more than happy to take you through it. I know the film can be intimidating to comprehend.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2006 04:41 PM
superman41082 is currently offline Click here to Send superman41082 a Private Message Find more posts by superman41082 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
98R1
YZF

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
I actually like 2010 better.

me 2

Attachment: spacemovies_2010_03.jpg
This has been downloaded 96 time(s).

Old Post Apr 27th, 2006 07:11 PM
98R1 is currently offline Click here to Send 98R1 a Private Message Find more posts by 98R1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
superman41082

Originally posted by Deano
(please log in to view the image)

Deano, where did you find that picture(when I saw that I lauged so hard I almost hurt my throat).

sig by Juggernaut66666

Old Post Apr 28th, 2006 02:49 AM
Koenig

A classic film which has stood the test of time.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2006 09:41 PM
Koenig is currently offline Click here to Send Koenig a Private Message Find more posts by Koenig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Originally posted by superman41082
Deano, where did you find that picture(when I saw that I lauged so hard I almost hurt my throat).

rense.com

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post May 29th, 2006 08:56 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

One of my fav all time films! I don't know how many times I've watched this film. I do admit though, I still get a bit confused when that giant unborn fetus appears, floating in space. erm

Old Post May 31st, 2006 12:49 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Originally posted by Gornack
One of my fav all time films! I don't know how many times I've watched this film. I do admit though, I still get a bit confused when that giant unborn fetus appears, floating in space. erm

Of course! Man is but a child in outer space. We have no control of our tools. We must learn to walk again, etc.

Old Post May 31st, 2006 01:23 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GiZMo90

Just finished watching It. It was incredible.
I think it's my new favorite film.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2006 09:19 AM
GiZMo90 is currently offline Click here to Send GiZMo90 a Private Message Find more posts by GiZMo90 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

In the realm of science fiction, I think only Blade Runner comes close. 2001 is one of the best films ever, regardless of genre...period.

Mind-blowing, even now.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2006 12:49 AM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the1end

2001 is "the ultimate trip"

the best movie of all time.
just like that...

Old Post Aug 12th, 2006 06:44 PM
the1end is currently offline Click here to Send the1end a Private Message Find more posts by the1end Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

It's arguably the best film of all time, the run time flew by for me. The visuals are fantastic, even for our day in age. I've seen a lot of Kubrick films, this being my favorite. My favorite scene was the one done in technicolor, amazing!

Personally, I thought the ending's meaning was pretty obvious. But I could see how one would disagree.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2006 07:18 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TYZER

Question hmmm....

So what happend was, the monolith saved humanity. It saved humanity by practically forcing mankind to use it's best technology ie (hal3000) to go to the most challenging place yet. So they go to the place, and the monolith knows that the HAL3000 will turn on them "malfunction". By defeating the HAL3000 mankind has basically defeated human stupidity, thus meaning that it will become a new generation of super intelligence and will not endanger itself again. in conclusion, we will become a level 3 society and able to survive anything that is perceived as a possible threat. At the last ten minutes of the film, the man aged whilst time-travelling to get to his destination and all the characters you see are the same man getting older untill he dies in that bed. then, the monolith< >(alien species/technology) was able to rebirth him, so that he was young enough to time travel back to where he was before he first time travelled. Then he was his normal age again and able to travel back home. If you really think about it, there are a number of ways the man could have gone home. Overall it is a real eye opener of a film and if everyone wasn't so damn ignorant and really took heed of what it means, then we would have no need for such an incident as what happend in the film to happen. basically what I am trying to say is, THIS FILM IS A WARNING FOR US TO GET OUR ACT TOGETHER NOW! And stop; religions, war, greed etc etc. We can do it, but sad to say I don't think we humans will because there are to many idiotic humans in this universe. If you believe in the multiverse theory, then maybe I can cheer you up if you are still following me.......there is a guaranteed parallel universe out there where we are lucky enough to have realised the error of our ways. I personally think in this universe it is too late for us, we have come so far but still we have not grown out of stupidity. Now we are doomed. Happy Dance

Last edited by TYZER on Apr 27th, 2010 at 09:12 AM

Old Post Apr 27th, 2010 09:00 AM
TYZER is currently offline Click here to Send TYZER a Private Message Find more posts by TYZER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I just got back from seeing it in the theatre.
Doesn't matter that I've owned the DVD for several years (and the widescreen VHS before that.) This was a restored 35 mm print that has made the rounds of theatres up here for several years. I've never seen a good quality print in the theatres - before this, it was a 16 mm pan-and-scan projection at college, and an old, inferior print at an old theatre in 1994.
It's amazing to be with an audience so rapt with attention. So many scenes with perfect silence in space, and no one talks or moves. And I could feel myself getting wide during the stargate corridor sequence - I just gave myself over to it, as the theatre rumbled with the soundtrack!

Old Post Dec 13th, 2010 05:21 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by roughrider
And I could feel myself getting wide during the stargate corridor sequence - I just gave myself over to it, as the theatre rumbled with the soundtrack!
An excellent description.
I wonder what might be done with today's 3D tech.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2010 09:53 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Mindship
An excellent description.
I wonder what might be done with today's 3D tech.

That would be the next logical step for a re-release, wouldn't it...?

Remastering the film to be seen in Digital 3D.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2010 11:14 PM