KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » does the past exist???

does the past exist???
Started by: eleveninches

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Joker1237

We can go back in time, We can watch a old silent film, and see things happing in real life in the 1920;s I have a few Chaplin movies, silent

If Chaplin was not real, than how did the films exist????

How can I have a 1955 boxing mag(I not that old I collect old fight magzines) With the Rocky Marciano on the cover knocking out Archie Moore?? If 1955 did not exist, and how can MArciano had fought Moore if the past did not exist?

(MArciano won by 9th round ko and retire at 49-0 after that fight)

Have a laugh evey now and than.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 05:09 AM
Joker1237 is currently offline Click here to Send Joker1237 a Private Message Find more posts by Joker1237 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Try to approach this philosophically, not scientifically.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 08:58 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

THe past is my present to your future

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 02:06 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Omega
Z10N0101

Storm> But the question was, does the past exist. We can then argue that it does, due to records OF the past, and light from the past.
However, like in The Matrix, all of this may be an illusion. We’d all be sharing the same illusion, since one of the things that make something a historical fact, is when there is more than one source and these sources agree on an event that happened.
If we abandon the assumption that nature is measurable and I only have my memory to go by… Well, maybe some alien gave me false memories and placed me at this comp 1 second ago. How would I ever tell?

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 11:34 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cipher
Non-Entity

The past existed.......

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 01:21 AM
Cipher is currently offline Click here to Send Cipher a Private Message Find more posts by Cipher Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

technically........there is no past.......nor a future. Everything exists relatively as present.

Today is the present, yesterday was the present.......but disappeared second by second.....there is no past.

There is no future. As we progress second by second, the "future" becomes the present.

If this were a sci-fi novel and somebody invented a time machine......he could not travel into the past or future........only into new presents. Time is relative. If the person traveled to 1963........1963 would be present for him. If he traveled to 2067........2067 would be the present for him.

As humans, we only have one point of view........and that point of view is the world around us. Wherever we are, the world around us that is occuring is considered present......no matter the year.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 03:56 AM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dwarfdude
Official KMC F*ck Monkey

So according to your theory, E.D., we're always living in the past. If the future second by second becomes the present, then the present second by second becomes the past.

Therefore, we live in naught but the past.

"Balance is best in all things." -The Odyssey

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 05:47 AM
Dwarfdude is currently offline Click here to Send Dwarfdude a Private Message Find more posts by Dwarfdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

no Dwarf......reread my post. There is no past, there is no future......only present. "past" and "future" are only ideas......we can never physically be there, they do not exist. Every second we live, we are living in the present.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 01:00 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'll try to keep it philosophical.....If there is no past then how does a person explains what he is now? If there is no future then how can we know what we might become? There is a flux (philosophical term) happening in human existence which makes us perceive that there is flow from beginning to end. Is contradictory to say I'm the same person I was yesterday or the day before. There are changes occuring in me and in everyone else. Experience tells us that thing changes. And when things change that means something started and something will end. Now if you want to go all Matrix mumbo jumbo remenber they clearly stated "everything that has a beginning has an end." That implies a timeline. But to be fair there is that theory that says that time doesn't exist....go figured.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 04:17 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

WD........there is one constant in our universe. That is forward motion. That is how we became the person we are today. One second leads into another......one minute leads to another.....one year leads to another......one century leads to another......one millenia leads to another. The very concept of "past" and "future" are as man made as 12:00 am and 12:00 pm. They are merely man made labels used to place events in sequential order.

I am the person I am today because of the series of events that have occured over my lifetime......from one second to the next, from one minute to the next. I have been moving forward since the day I was born and will continue to do so until my death. When I die, my energy will continue to move forward as my body rots and fertilizes the soil, giving life to another life form. There is no beginning.......there is no end. The cycle of forward motion of the energy that gives me life did not start with me........it will not end with me.......it will merely move on to another form.

as for your theory of time not existing........very true in the lamen sense of the word. There is no time, only forward motion.....which as I stated was occuring long before I was born and will occur long after I am dead. There is no beginning, there is no end. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can and will change form.

In the scientific sense of the word, time is very real. In the scientific sense of the word, time is merely a coordinate (dimension) on the fabric of space that prevents two peices of matter from co-occupying the same space.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 07:47 PM
big gay kirk

There is no time, and no forward motion... the "passing of time" is simply a function of our nervous system.... all things that have existed and will exist exist now and will always exist... only the way our brain processes information makes it seem otherwise... remember, time is not the stage upon which we act, merely a fellow player... the easiest way to describe the universe is to think of one of those photos of a road junction at night, with a long exposure time... all those lines of light and elongated blurs of cars, then multiply that by infinity....

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 11:41 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

no forward motion?

I'm sorry Big Gay Kirk..........but uh.......are you trying to tell me that everything I have ever done in my life, I did all at the same time? That I was popping out my mother's birth canal the very same second that I will one day die........my brain just interprets these events as taking place 80 years apart?

Furthermore, since time does not exist.........are you stating that every single piece of matter that has ever existed all existed on the very same co-ordinate of space-time? That I was standing in the exact same spot as millions of other people at the same time, our matter was somehow overlapping each other?........that it's all a trick my brain is playing on me, interpreting it as such that I was in the spot, I left (forward motion), somebody else was in the spot, they left and so on and so on.

I'm sorry man but uh.........lay off the weed. It's good to promote abstract thinking........but you're leaving the abstract and entering into the realm of laughingly ridiculous. The Matrix is not real. Life is not a dream. You are a real physical being........so is everybody around you......do not hurt anybody.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 11:50 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Evil Dead> That I can agree with... that there is a forward motion happening. Even Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle believed in that. Except they called it "The Prime Mover" From which all comes from. The trick here is why is the flux occuring? (again flux in the philosophical term) Or better yet why is it happening? If we were to say that all energy in the universe comes from one destination and thus returns to its original source is like implying a reclying (sp?) event. And I doubt that, but then again there are things I don't understand and won't dispute without the proper knowledge.

In a philosophical sense you are the person that exists now because of your experiences. A mind starts like a blank sheet of paper that as life progress the sheets gets fill with sentences and paragraphs of knowledge. And it all ends when you run out of room to write. If there is an energy that motivates the mechanical body.....then would you consider that to be the essence we call a soul? Now, don't get me wrong I don't seek to connect religious stuff with philosophical thoughts. I'm only trying to learn how does this energy works in the body.

quote:
The Matrix is not real. Life is not a dream. You are a real physical being........so is everybody around you......do not hurt anybody.

Agree, but there is a philosophy in it that is quite appealing.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 12:09 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

Forgive me for my ignorece but I dont understand thist question.

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 12:19 AM
Napalm is currently offline Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dwarfdude
Official KMC F*ck Monkey

What do you mean? It a pretty straight-forward question...Does the past exist?

I've actually just realized, the question should be...

"Did the past exist?"

...Right? Or are my gramatical instincts off?

Edit: Oh, and E.D., I agree with you...Your first post seemed a little contradictory, is all. Becasue you say, each moment of supposed "future" slowly becomes present, that would also lead to each moment of present becomin the past just as quickly, therefore the future goes straight to the past, and the present doesnt exist, and we live in naught but the past. But I see your point now.

"Balance is best in all things." -The Odyssey

Last edited by Dwarfdude on Dec 30th, 2004 at 03:43 AM

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 03:39 AM
Dwarfdude is currently offline Click here to Send Dwarfdude a Private Message Find more posts by Dwarfdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Napalm
Mr. Hyde

The past does exist It is not mere electrical impulses if thats all the past was we wouldnt exist

Bud list SlipknoT,42bardock,Freddy love,Similing Sadly,Mr Parker, Jackie Malfoy,Aku

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 03:55 PM
Napalm is currently offline Click here to Send Napalm a Private Message Find more posts by Napalm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

the past existED.........but at the time it existed we called it the present......all that exists is the present. The future doesn't exist yet.......and when it does exist it will be the present.......same for past.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 08:20 PM
big gay kirk

quote:
Originally posted by Evil Dead
no forward motion?

I'm sorry Big Gay Kirk..........but uh.......are you trying to tell me that everything I have ever done in my life, I did all at the same time? That I was popping out my mother's birth canal the very same second that I will one day die........my brain just interprets these events as taking place 80 years apart?

Furthermore, since time does not exist.........are you stating that every single piece of matter that has ever existed all existed on the very same co-ordinate of space-time? That I was standing in the exact same spot as millions of other people at the same time, our matter was somehow overlapping each other?........that it's all a trick my brain is playing on me, interpreting it as such that I was in the spot, I left (forward motion), somebody else was in the spot, they left and so on and so on.

Yup... spot on... the universe is simply a mess of continuously extant particles, all interacting with each other.... our brains, like any computer, can process only certain types and amounts of information, and so.... we perceive time passing, we perceive travel through four dimensions, but none of that really exists... the universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine....

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 11:50 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

quote:
Originally posted by WindDancer
Evil Dead> That I can agree with... that there is a forward motion happening. Even Thomas Aquinas and Aristotle believed in that. Except they called it "The Prime Mover"

Of course.. because they were bound by their perceptions.... they could feel time passing, so they believed time was passing... but perception is not reality... it is merely the means by which we interpret reality... this is why it is useless to ask where the universe came from... or where the matter for the big bang came from... the universe is an absolute constant... it did not begin, it will never end... our big bang theory is flawed because we cannot perceive of things having no beginning and no end... because of the way our nervous system operates... we are only a small bundle of particles (and remember, at the end of your life, none of those particles are the ones you started with... ) and our processing capacity is very finite... thus it is impossible to comprehend the infinite... therefore the past exists, the future exists, and everything exists... all at the same time...

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 11:57 PM
big gay kirk

quote:
Originally posted by Evil Dead
I'm sorry man but uh.........lay off the weed.

I don't touch mind altering substances... except alcohol, and then only rarely... and these aren't my ideas... they date back centuries... I simply find them the easiest to believe in.... a lot easier to believe in than the idea that the past doesn't exist anymore except in memeory, and that the future doesn't exist at all...yet...

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 12:01 AM