KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Hannibal the Conqueror (Vin Diesel) (2005)

Hannibal the Conqueror (Vin Diesel) (2005)
Started by: lau_timmy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lau_timmy

Hannibal the Conqueror (Vin Diesel) (2005)

This movie is based upon the life of the Carthaginian general, Hannibal Barca, who in the third century B.C. (218 B.C., specifically) famously led an army of elephants through the Alps in an attempt to attack Rome. More specifically, this movie is being adapted from the novel, "Hannibal," by Ross Leckie about Hannibal.

When his father is killed by the Romans, Hannibal (Diesel), a young man from the ruling clans of the city of Carthage on the Mediterranean shore of North Africa, makes an oath of vengeance against Rome. Dedicating his life to fulfilling that challenge, Hannibal becomes a general by the time he's in his mid-20s, and with an army of 100,000 committed to his goal, he sets out to bring Rome down, first by conquering Spain, and then by setting loose a surprise (and famous) attack on Italy by way of the Alps, with an array of forces that included war-trained elephants. This movie shows how far a son can be willing to go to avenge the death of his father.

Vin Diesel advised The Times Online that he will soon be meeting with Oscar-winning filmmaker Ron Howard about directing this historical epic. David Franzoni is set to write the screenplay for the movie who also wrote Gladiator and recently King Arthur. Diesel said that he is "really excited about" Hannibal and that he expects the film "to be amazing. We'll have battles, elephants..."

Last edited by lau_timmy on Dec 28th, 2004 at 12:11 PM

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 12:06 PM
lau_timmy is currently offline Click here to Send lau_timmy a Private Message Find more posts by lau_timmy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

And Vinne is gonne fu(k it up, as he dose with every movie he is in, they shoulint alow noobs like Vin to get in these movies

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 07:18 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

But n00bs love Vin Diesel you see.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 07:20 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Hollywood has become the slaughter house of storytelling historic characters. Troy, King Arthur, Alexander, And now Hannibal. They need to stop making crap and doing something original....if there is still something original to produce.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 07:24 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drifter101
Woodstock '69"

i dont know if it is possible to get any more original type films of that genre, well that other film "kingdom of heaven" seems somewhat promising, even though it has Orlando Bloom, the other actors involved may just give a good performance to make me forget that the guy over there is legolas

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 08:20 PM
Drifter101 is currently offline Click here to Send Drifter101 a Private Message Find more posts by Drifter101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Noobs like Diesel? He's been starring in major motion pictures since 1998. Of course, this criticism is coming from someone who has probably never seen "Pitch Black", "Knockaround Guys", or "The Iron Giant". I could defend Vin until I am blue in the face, but people's ignorance and apparent penchant for being "en vogue", hating him, are just too strong for anything I'd suggest.

Anywho, I'm not much on historical figures, but this could ultimately prove Diesel's thesbian range, and maybe get some of the prejudicial haters off his back.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 10:21 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

He is an ass actor, cheese lines is his trademark, he not looking like the hardass i movies, he is looking like the dumbass, he is always the same person

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 04:46 AM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RaventheOnly
GheutWunOlathWholSsussun

So how plays Skippio? laughing out loud THe Roman who kicks Hannibals arse laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 07:47 AM
RaventheOnly is currently offline Click here to Send RaventheOnly a Private Message Find more posts by RaventheOnly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

What? What? The are letting Vin Diesel play one of the greatest historical figures ever? A great man, tactical genius? What? This is a travesty in my eyes. As a history student I am horrified.

Personally the story of Hannibal and the great Scipio Africanus is one of my favorites, and while I have noting against Vin, I shudder to imagine what could go wrong, the ruination of a great tale, much like the ruination of Carthage by Scipio The Younger and his troops....

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 01:03 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro
No-No Place-licky McNicky

i know Vin Diesel has got that Whole Raspy voice going, but he's gonna come off as lame and third rate as the rock in the Scorpian King. you know, the ethnic looking guy in ancient times with an American accent?

*SECRET NO-NO PLACE* Licking FTW Baby!!!!!!rock rock

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 12:53 PM
manjaro is currently offline Click here to Send manjaro a Private Message Find more posts by manjaro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Sigh. Quite probably true. All the movies I have ever seen him in, he doesn't have a great range of accents "This is my tough guy" - "This is my tough guy with a heart" "this is me not being a tough guy, but you couldn't tell, because it sounds the dame as my tough guy and tough guy with a heart"

I think they should go another way entirely. Personally I would like to see Ian Mckellen as Scipio, even if he is a bit older then Scipio would have been, but eh, Hollywood will take plenty of liberties as it is.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 01:31 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

I would like Denzel Washington to play this role, he would have been perfect for the part

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 03:52 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Denzel in not enough of a hard ass. They need a real hard ass mofo to play Barca. The book by Leckie was great. The film will probably be mediocre.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 05:02 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manjaro
No-No Place-licky McNicky

when all else fails all the have to do is get an actor who alread has an accent or at the ver least one who has had extensive training. cuz action movie acting is way different from the true art

*SECRET NO-NO PLACE* Licking FTW Baby!!!!!!rock rock

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 06:44 PM
manjaro is currently offline Click here to Send manjaro a Private Message Find more posts by manjaro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HEMLOCK

if someone can pick the rock to play a southern sheriff
in a movie,then vin can play an historical figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!
give vin a chance,you don't know what he can do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 07:10 PM
HEMLOCK is currently offline Click here to Send HEMLOCK a Private Message Find more posts by HEMLOCK Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rohanspear543
Member Extra Strength

Scipio's father or uncle should be ian mckellen caus scipios uncle and father got hurt in the battles that hannibal lead like cannae i think his uncle died and he rescued his father.

"only the dead have seen the end of war."-Plato
“A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."Mitch Hedberg R.I.P.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 08:29 PM
rohanspear543 is currently offline Click here to Send rohanspear543 a Private Message Find more posts by rohanspear543 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eXSBass
Kill the nOObs!

Two words: Anthony Hopkins

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 11:04 PM
eXSBass is currently offline Click here to Send eXSBass a Private Message Find more posts by eXSBass Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
He is an ass actor, cheese lines is his trademark, he not looking like the hardass i movies, he is looking like the dumbass, he is always the same person

Cheese lines are not his trademarks. the cheese lines are the writing of the the script. Vin diesel is soley an action star. Just like arnold, stallone, and willis of there era. Diesel is an action star of this era. Action stars always play the same character. They are being hired to portray that badass image. If you expect any more from an action star then you are expecting to much. Vin is actually a decent action star, he can understand a character, though he cant do to much to illuminate that character on film, he is still aware.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 01:19 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cal31
Let's Win Twins

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
I would like Denzel Washington to play this role, he would have been perfect for the part

Last time I checked Hannibal wasn't black. You say Vin Diesel only plays a tough guy with cheesey lines, yet you probably love Arnold, Stallone, etc. When will this type of ignorance end?

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 01:42 AM
cal31 is currently offline Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Of course, this criticism is coming from someone who has probably never seen "Pitch Black", "Knockaround Guys", or "The Iron Giant".

Word. I have to admit, I was saying that Diesel was horrible long before I saw Knockaround Guys. Which was a great movie.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 02:07 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote