KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Hannibal the Conqueror (Vin Diesel) (2005)

Hannibal the Conqueror (Vin Diesel) (2005)
Started by: lau_timmy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
RZA
Shaolin Monk

^^Yeah, I'm aware of the ancient history behind Carthage. You do realize that all that was well before the arrival of Hannibal or even his father Hamilcar. In fact this Phoenician empire was destroyed and rebuilt many times during its history. They did live beside the Romans for many years until the Romans completely destroyed it and burned it down during the last Punic war, when it seemed they posed no threat at all. This was also well after it was sacked by the Gallics-a tribe of barbarians. Anyway, I'm not contending that he didn't have royal blood in him or that he didn't have true Carthaginian ancestry or that he wasn't considered a member of Carthaginian nobility, in fact I'm almost positive he was. I remember that the Romans always referred to him as a barbarian but then again the Romans referred to everyone back then who wasn't under Roman rule or control as barbarians, especially one who was their sworn enemy.(please log in to view the image)

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Old Post Mar 7th, 2005 07:01 AM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lau_timmy

A 50 million dollar budget isn't the largest amount for a movie of this scale, but perhaps it will help Vin stay away from the Alexander/Troy blockbuster movies. Those movies have their place, but if it is a historical accounting we want, maybe a tighter budget will keep the story in check.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2005 06:26 AM
lau_timmy is currently offline Click here to Send lau_timmy a Private Message Find more posts by lau_timmy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kimmeh
vixen

quote: (post)
Originally posted by WindDancer
Hollywood has become the slaughter house of storytelling historic characters. Troy, King Arthur, Alexander, And now Hannibal. They need to stop making crap and doing something original....if there is still something original to produce.

Man, aint that the truth. And to add insult to injury we get Vin 'ieven a deal with the devil could not provide me talent'? You guys sure this isnt a horror flick?

Old Post Mar 9th, 2005 07:25 AM
kimmeh is currently offline Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lau_timmy

Vin Diesel spoke briefly to MTV and dropped a few words on the status of his pet-project Hannibal (not to be confused with Ridley Scott's already long-released Lecter film).

In case you haven't heard, Hannibal tells the tale of the third century B.C. Carthaginian general who attacked Rome from the top of a giant Mûmaki... I mean, elephant. The film hit a slight snafu when the studio calculated that the epic biopic would wind up costing them somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 million. Vin (who's set to star AND direct) dumbed down the budget to a highly optimistic but very unlikely $50 million.

"We're going to have all systems go on Hannibal" Diesel told MTV. "I've been working on my shots. In fact, my storyboard artist is a guy named Sylvain Despretz, who was Ridley Scott's storyboard artist on Gladiator. It's going to be exciting. Just wait for that one; it's going to all come together. I will not let you down... I like the idea of making a movie and not being governed by all the things that govern a $200 million movie. I want to do things like make it multilingual, non-English." Well, unless you're Mel Gibson of course. Vin already proudly called this thing his Braveheart (which I guess means it'll be mediocre). Hopefully he won't decide to recut the probable R rated flick for PG-13 only to have it go Unrated...

Old Post Mar 12th, 2005 11:59 PM
lau_timmy is currently offline Click here to Send lau_timmy a Private Message Find more posts by lau_timmy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lau_timmy

I wouldn't want Diesel to direct it. They should choose Ripley Scott due to his direction of Gladiator, which was scripted by the same screenwriter David Franzoni. I' ll be fine if Ron Howard signed on since he is in talk to direct it.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2005 05:11 AM
K Von Doom
Second fiddle

They'll ruin this story just like they did to "Troy" and after reading the synoposis for "Kingdom of Heaven" (which I was looking forward to), they'll ruin that as well. Which is a pity seeing as Hannibal is the greatest field commander ever.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2005 11:30 AM
K Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send K Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by K Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
king_arthur

Did I tell you where the budget was initially?” Vin Diesel laughed hopelessly when asked the status of his upcoming feature film “Hannibal.” Planned as an epic tale to star the “xXx” actor as the young general who famously crossed the Alps on elephant-back to attack Rome, Diesel’s original larger-than-life vision of the piece – a pet project as close to his heart as “The Passion of the Christ” was to his friend and mentor Mel Gibson – hit a nasty budgeting snag that put the entire project in peril.

“David Franzoni, who wrote ‘Gladiator,’ ‘Amistad’ and ‘King Arthur,’ wrote a script for [‘Hannibal’]. It gets budgeted. I get the budget back and it’s $217 million,” shouts Diesel. “The studio thought it couldn't be done for under 200 million. Now what that means in Hollywood is you will not make this movie, you can’t make the movie.”

Unwilling to let the project die, Diesel decided to get creative with the film’s pre-production.

“I take the script and I go into soft pre-production for a year and a half. Soft pre-production’s a key to getting any budget down. Pre-production’s usually three to six months. Multiply that by three, and you do a year and a half of pre-production, you’re going to cut down your budget considerably. So we jump to now. I’ve cut down the budget to $50 million.”

Diesel, in theaters on March 4 with the family comedy “The Pacifier,” has also made the recent decision to direct as well as star in Hannibal as the young man from the ruling clans of the city of Carthage in North Africa who makes an oath of vengeance against Rome when they kill his father. Making the revenge his life’s goal, Hannibal becomes a general by the time he's in his mid-20s, and with an army of 100,000 who have his back, he sets out to bring Rome down, first by conquering Spain, and then by launching a surprise (and famous) attack on Italy by way of the Alps, with an array of forces that included war-trained elephants.

“To make things even more exciting, I’m going to make it a non-English, multi-lingual film that represents the many languages that Hannibal employed in his army,” enthuses Diesel. And the point being, Hannibal united people of no common culture, language, or religion and proved that united, they can defy tyranny. Very interesting point of where we are in our world.”

Diesel said Gibson had given him advice on the use of multiple languages, which helped to illustrate “The Passion of the Christ.”

“He’s always been a role model of mine in this industry,” said the action star. It’ll be Aramaic for Rome, Iberian for Spain, it’ll be some, you know, Maltese version. And it will represent all these different languages. So that’s what’s happening with ‘Hannibal.’”

Multiple languages? One wonders what does he think will come out of this one? Ancient Carthaginian? Celtic, Iberian and Latin?

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 06:10 AM
king_arthur is currently offline Click here to Send king_arthur a Private Message Find more posts by king_arthur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Filmmaker451
the spirit within

I don't like them putting diesel in this especially as the main character but cinderella man and the da vinci code look really good and I trust that ron howard will make this a good movie but kingdom of heaven/troy/king arthur good not braveheart good which will never happen in a million years. By the way I still didn't see gladiator. Got to see that already!!!! mad

The saga is complete! Buy the beginning of the end trilogy in stores today

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 09:32 AM
Filmmaker451 is currently offline Click here to Send Filmmaker451 a Private Message Find more posts by Filmmaker451 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K Von Doom
Second fiddle

Much as I like Hannibal the general, I don't think it'd make a particularly good movie because he won every battle he was in, the only one he lost was the final one at Zama. It's usually the reverse with Hollywood - keep losing so as to make the star an underdog, then win at the end.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 05:10 AM
K Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send K Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by K Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zilverz

WTFFFFFFFf ?!?!?!?! Chronics of Riddick is one of the greatest scifi movies in recent years. Pitch black was awesome .. and im pretty sure Fast and furiest made a shit ton of money as well. Even A man apart was great. So what if he isnt well rounded for character roles and accents. Someone has to play the tough guy in movies .. and he fits the role physically and verbally

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 07:24 AM
Zilverz is currently offline Click here to Send Zilverz a Private Message Find more posts by Zilverz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jeandylon

hi i would like to suggest you this cool site where you can download movies / games / music online! They reviewed the best download movies sites online, i saved time and money with them and i found most of the movies (including kingdom of heaven!) i was looking for!

the url address is EDITED FOR SPAM

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Jun 9th, 2005 at 01:05 PM

Old Post Jun 9th, 2005 11:47 AM
jeandylon is currently offline Click here to Send jeandylon a Private Message Find more posts by jeandylon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bone_collector

At least let's hope that the director is going to learn from the mistakes of others and try not to do them again. ( Alexander, Helen Of Troy, Spartacus)
What's next : Cesar, Cleopatra, . What historical moment's didn't they shit on.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 12:51 PM
bone_collector is currently offline Click here to Send bone_collector a Private Message Find more posts by bone_collector Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Since Wilford Brimley turned down the lead role, Vin Diesel was a disappointing second choice.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 01:04 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Hannibal the Conqueror (Vin Diesel) (2005)

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lau_timmy
This movie is based upon the life of the Carthaginian general, Hannibal Barca, who in the third century B.C. (218 B.C., specifically) famously led an army of elephants through the Alps in an attempt to attack Rome. More specifically, this movie is being adapted from the novel, "Hannibal," by Ross Leckie about Hannibal.

When his father is killed by the Romans, Hannibal (Diesel), a young man from the ruling clans of the city of Carthage on the Mediterranean shore of North Africa, makes an oath of vengeance against Rome. Dedicating his life to fulfilling that challenge, Hannibal becomes a general by the time he's in his mid-20s, and with an army of 100,000 committed to his goal, he sets out to bring Rome down, first by conquering Spain, and then by setting loose a surprise (and famous) attack on Italy by way of the Alps, with an array of forces that included war-trained elephants. This movie shows how far a son can be willing to go to avenge the death of his father.

Vin Diesel advised The Times Online that he will soon be meeting with Oscar-winning filmmaker Ron Howard about directing this historical epic. David Franzoni is set to write the screenplay for the movie who also wrote Gladiator and recently King Arthur. Diesel said that he is "really excited about" Hannibal and that he expects the film "to be amazing. We'll have battles, elephants..."

Not again...

An Ancient Prophecy . . . The deity shall walk forth . . .

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 01:06 PM
Soren the Mage is currently offline Click here to Send Soren the Mage a Private Message Find more posts by Soren the Mage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Well Zilverz the thing is, that we or at least i dont want to see his kinda of char in movies alright, Fast and furiest, Pitch black, omg can it get any worse?????? oh and not to forget this guy had lead role in that crap I see everyone trowing in the fire called xXx and that other one called Chronicles of Riddick, what a pile of crap, and now he is MAKING Hannibal, most likely one of the most looked up to tactician ever

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 01:21 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

So is this still being made?

I heard that their is another Hannibal movie being made with Denzel in the starring role. Anyone else heard about this?

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Old Post Sep 24th, 2006 07:36 PM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

Damn, nobody can give me answer on this?

Old Post Sep 30th, 2006 07:59 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Resurrecting this thread just for fun...

I was suddenly reminded of this movie recently. I remember it being a big dream project for Vin.

I guess it ain't ever gonna happen at this point... I wonder why it fizzled out. Certainly he could convince Universal to fund it at this point, since he's done a fu#k-ton of F&F movies.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 03:36 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Son of a-

I thought this had finally gotten green lit! laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 04:21 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Sorry to get hopes up. I haven't even thought about it in at least 10 or 12 years.

I just wonder why it went totally quiet. Maybe Vin gave up on it?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 05:24 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote