KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » The Year 2005

The Year 2005
Started by: Syren

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Syren
dreaming

The Year 2005

I was just thinking about this the other day, what with the New Year coming..... why does the entire world live in the year 2004 if it's relative to Jesus' birth? Obviously, we'll soon be in 2005AD - anno domini - which is loosely translated as 'after Christ'... but this refers only to Christianity. So why is almost the entire world (as far as I know) living as if it were 2005 years after Christ's birth? Wouldn't the entire world have to be a Christian? Please, feel free to beat on me if I missed some important element here, thanks wink

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 02:20 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

actually anno domini (sp)translated is:-- in the year of the lord ---so that might offer some explanation

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 02:58 PM
SithSpy is currently offline Click here to Send SithSpy a Private Message Find more posts by SithSpy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

It does, thanks.... but that would still mean every religion's lord or leader would have come into being on Jesus' birthday. Which doesn't make sense erm

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 03:04 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

yeah i was gonna type something trying to explain that but im way to tired to remember all the facts id need to make sense, but basically everything we use today comes from one society or another, and the starting year of our calender just happens to be from the christian faith. The same way aquaducts come from the romans. I hope that helps some, like i said im having trouble puttin my thoughts in order this morning

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 03:14 PM
SithSpy is currently offline Click here to Send SithSpy a Private Message Find more posts by SithSpy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

oh and no harm no foul on what you thought before that AD meant, I thought for the longest time that it was BC=before christ AD=after death, and i always wondered what happened to the 33 yrs in between.........guess now i know lol

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 03:16 PM
Syren
dreaming

laughing

I knew AD stood for anno domini but I always assumed it meant literally, 'after Christ', because of BC erm Thanks though, this question's been bugging me for a while now big grin

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 07:22 PM
Dwarfdude
Official KMC F*ck Monkey

This is why the United Nations uses C.E., which is the proper way of putting A.D....C.E. stands for Common Era...And B.C.E. = B.C.....B.C.E. = Before Common Era

"Balance is best in all things." -The Odyssey

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 10:08 PM
Dwarfdude is currently offline Click here to Send Dwarfdude a Private Message Find more posts by Dwarfdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
frodo34x
^_^

Yeah, but because of the way I've been raised, AD and BC feel better. Ce and BCE just sounds kinda weird.

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 29th, 2004 11:26 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Is it just me or is everyone missing the point? Maybe I am confused

Anyway, why does the whole world live by BC/AD or BCE/CE? It's in reference to Jesus, who is the saviour of one religion. One.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 01:19 PM
DuronKiller
loves you

i guess the whole world adopted the roman calendar, and the roman (gregorian) calendar was aligned to the birth of christ as year 0, because the christian belief was duty at some of time in the roman empire...

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 01:42 PM
DuronKiller is currently offline Click here to Send DuronKiller a Private Message Find more posts by DuronKiller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Thankyou!!

*feels dumb*

I should have known that embarrasment

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 01:51 PM
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

damn, very good duron, i had something along those lines in my head but no way of me puttin it together

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 05:39 PM
Syren
dreaming

It seemed an impossible question when I first thought of it, now it's quite obvious roll eyes (sarcastic)

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 12:56 PM
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Yeah....I thought I would have something to add, but it's all been covered, really

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 08:32 PM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

yeah especially since not the whole world measures its years in this calendar. I mean Europew and America and some more but if the otherse would actually use it then only because they were conquereds by europeans or they want to trade with the US

Old Post Dec 31st, 2004 08:56 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Most of the world then roll eyes (sarcastic) Enough to raise the query.....

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 01:25 PM
Bardock42

WELL... That ain'T most of the world just what we western people care for.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2005 01:55 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Frosty Beverage
Get 'er Done!

Re: The Year 2005

quote:
Originally posted by Syren
I was just thinking about this the other day, what with the New Year coming..... why does the entire world live in the year 2004 if it's relative to Jesus' birth? Obviously, we'll soon be in 2005AD - anno domini - which is loosely translated as 'after Christ'... but this refers only to Christianity. So why is almost the entire world (as far as I know) living as if it were 2005 years after Christ's birth? Wouldn't the entire world have to be a Christian? Please, feel free to beat on me if I missed some important element here, thanks wink

roughly translated, "the year of our lord"

there's a bible code, dunno if it's real, but it has like 100,000 to 1 chance of being how accurate and close together it is. Anyway, it says "giant earthquake" "2010" "destruction"
in the original version before all translations. also "giant comet" "2012" and "annialation" were found in the same "matrix" Again, the possibilitys of these letters so close together in the same pattern is 100,000 to 1.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 02:38 AM
Frosty Beverage is currently offline Click here to Send Frosty Beverage a Private Message Find more posts by Frosty Beverage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

quote:
Originally posted by Syren
Is it just me or is everyone missing the point? Maybe I am confused

Anyway, why does the whole world live by BC/AD or BCE/CE? It's in reference to Jesus, who is the saviour of one religion. One.

Because at one point, during the Dark/Middle Ages, Christianity ruled over almost the entire known world, and what they didn't rule(Islamic countries) they went to war with and disregarded their religion almost completely.

Anyway, since the church ruled, what they said, went. They created a calendar based on Jesus, and it stuck.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 04:02 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Anyway, since the church ruled, what they said, went. They created a calendar based on Jesus, and it stuck.
the calender was based on the Julian calender from Julius Ceaser, he wanted the year to begin on January. The Julian calender marked a year as 12 months with 365 days, every forht year was a leap year because of the almost six extra hours beyond 365 days in a tropical year (.Tropical year is the actual length of time it takes for the Earth to complete one orbit around the Sun.)
The year was set by the church and started with year 0 AD (the year of the Lord) The calender was altered by pope Gregor XIII.

READ THIS

Old Post Jan 4th, 2005 07:17 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote