KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » The word "god"

The word "god"
Started by: Arena Host

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arena Host
Warlord

I completely missed ushomefree's post about aliens. Just think, in order for something to be an alien it has to be an alien to someone. smile Just like the the meaning of the word "god".
I'm sorry that something living as far away as your closet has invaded your home ushomefree.
Tell me, do you think an idiot is a person who doesn't think about everything they say very carefully?

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 04:54 PM
Arena Host is currently offline Click here to Send Arena Host a Private Message Find more posts by Arena Host Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

quote:
Originally posted by Arena Host
I think most of you have missed the point I was trying to convey.
Both "God" and "god" mean the same thing.

Let me put it this way:
Anything can become your god whether real or not real, but it only becomes your god and not someone else's. Asking the question "Do you believe in god?" to someone who does not consider it their god is stupid. The question is invalid for what it is used for. Replying to it means "Yes it is my higher power to worship, but I don't believe it exists." They should be asking "Do you beleive in my god?". Do you understand why I call it a mind trap? Replying to it is like admitting that the god they are asking about is already your god.

Capitalised "God" was first used to refer to the Judeo-Christian concept, and may now signify any monotheistic conception of God. The use of capitalisation, has persisted to disambiguate the concept of a singular God from pagan deities, or, in the Christian view, false idols.
The divine entity is not thought by some believers in the same terms as deities - as a powerful, human-like, supernatural being - but rather becomes esoteric, the reification of a philosophical category - the Ultimate, the Absolute Infinite, the Transcendent, the One, the All, Existence or Being itself, the ground of being, the monistic substrate, etc.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2005 07:09 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arena Host
Warlord

This is my god, I've named him "God".
This is my spoon, I've named him "Spoon". This is my ass, I've named him "Ass".
Maybe I should invent my own name for this god? I could call him "Flatulating Butt"

"Hi, do you beleive in Flatulating Butt?"
"Who's Flatulating Butt?"
"My Flatulating Butt."
I'm only insulting the context people use with the word "God".

Anyway, unless there is any comments anybody would like to make I hold this discussion closed and rest my case.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 02:46 PM
Arena Host is currently offline Click here to Send Arena Host a Private Message Find more posts by Arena Host Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arena Host
Warlord

Oops, accidentally erased this while typing in microsoft word.
My second to last sentence in the last post read:
If you don't beleive that the name defines what it is, then God isn't even a god at all.

This is new.
How does naming the god change what you define it as?

Last edited by Arena Host on Jan 21st, 2005 at 03:37 PM

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 03:32 PM
Arena Host
Warlord

By SaTsuJiN
quote:
we must name all things that we speak of in order to convey thoughts to one another..

1. So god creates man.
2. Man creates the terms for god, Since god created man, it is also responsible for creating the terms.
-So god made the terms in the first place. Does this mean that god defines itself? If so, then god could be whatever it wanted at any time, it could even not be what it is, not be what we think it is, and not be a superior being.
So god named itself God and gave itself a male gender.

No further comments, this conversation is officially over.
Bam Bam--- Case Closed

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 05:39 PM
frodo34x
^_^

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic imsomniac?
[SPOILER - highlight to read]: He laid awake all night wondering if there was a dog

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Jan 21st, 2005 09:32 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arena Host
Warlord

Like I said, this conversation is over.
The real question is "Do you beleive in anything, everything, and nothing?" I was not trying to prove that God does not exist, from the very beggining I stated what I was talking about.

What I just proved is that everybodybody is guilty of not beleiving in him. How? Nobody beleives in everything and anything. To believe is to accept as true or real.
quote:
To say "I beleive in god" is very foolish. To say "I do not beleive in God" is also foolish. Look up the word "god".

Why? Because you don't beleive.

quote:
God" is just a word created by humans to label something they worship. A person does not beleive in a god, a person has to consider something a god for it to be their god. I'd advize so called atheists to stop answering the stupid question, "Do you beleive in god?", tell people you do not beleive that their god created the universe.

Self explanatory.

quote:
"It is a mind trap, saying something is a god when you do not worship it."

We are all in a mind trap.

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic imsomniacs?
The devil already has most people, they just don't realize it.

I'm done here, move along people. I'll see you all in hell.

Last edited by Arena Host on Jan 22nd, 2005 at 04:49 AM

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2005 04:46 AM
Arena Host
Warlord

Like I said, "no discussion".
I'm just gloating over the fact that you really don't beleive in God and yet somehow you cannot beleive that he doesn't exist.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2005 05:18 AM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

God is a term referring to the concept of a supreme being, generally believed to be ruler or creator of the universe. The generic term God is the proper English name used for the deity of monotheistic faiths. Different names for God exist within different religious traditions.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2005 11:38 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Maybe the first word that was used in a languaage to mean "god" was actually just somebodys name.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2005 11:30 AM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote