KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Widescreen vs Fullscreen: LET'S GET IT ON!

Widescreen vs Fullscreen: LET'S GET IT ON!
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

heh I indend to live 120years big grin

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 11:46 AM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gannon
Mild Mannered

widescreen is better because you see the entire picture and feels more like a movie theater.

deviantArt | Duel Record 12:7 | My Sigs

Old Post Jan 26th, 2005 11:58 PM
Gannon is currently offline Click here to Send Gannon a Private Message Find more posts by Gannon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Widescreen.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Old Post Jan 27th, 2005 12:41 AM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Reborn Again
I'm HELL's Wrath!

Most people don't know that even though you get to see more at the sides during a widescreen presentation, they have to scale it to such a degree that you loose some of the top and bottom. So no matter what you buy -- ws or fs -- you'll still loosing a portion of the movie. But I perfer ws because I'm use to it.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2005 12:50 AM
Reborn Again is currently offline Click here to Send Reborn Again a Private Message Find more posts by Reborn Again Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
[email protected]
Confront the darkness

What happens if I play a Widescreen DVD on a normal Tv?
Does the DVD picture fit itself onto my TV to look widescreen?

Or do I lose the top and bottom of the picture?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2005 03:30 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

I buy Widescreen as much as I can. If I can only find Fullscreen I buy it, but I prefer Widescreen.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2005 03:44 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Widescreen is the way to go.

If I come home with a fullscreen movie, I feel cheated.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2005 06:08 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession

If you have widescreen it fits it to the screen, last time I heard it doesn't cut anything off, top bottom left right.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2005 01:15 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

No no no, somebody said that you loose if you watch it in ws, not fully true, yes movies that where shot like The Shining, and like Where eagles dare, you do loose some of the upper picture, but not in new movies , like Gladiator, LOTR there you only loose if you have fullscreen

Old Post Feb 16th, 2005 01:46 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Heather 29

I like Full Screen format better.
I don't like looking at two black bars while I am watching a movie

Old Post Mar 5th, 2005 07:38 AM
Heather 29 is currently offline Click here to Send Heather 29 a Private Message Find more posts by Heather 29 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

...that's the way you see it at the theatre, you know?

Old Post Mar 5th, 2005 03:17 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Leggy_n_Merry
There is always hope

In the cinema it's much bigger though. You don't notice because the whole room is black anyway.

When I had a small TV a widescreen didn't fit the screen it was just widescreen in the middle so it was tiny. That was annoying. But now I have a widescreen TV, and whenever I watch a DVD which is widescreen it obviously comes out widescreen, but you can change it and it makes the lines smaller, but it doesn't cut the picture off, so I prefer that because the black bars are too big on widescreen.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2005 07:36 PM
Leggy_n_Merry is currently offline Click here to Send Leggy_n_Merry a Private Message Find more posts by Leggy_n_Merry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

Widescreen is better for movies and stuff.

My aspect ratio on my 65' mitsubishi cuts the bottom and top of the screen off on normal television....sad

but it's better than black bars on the side.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2005 07:55 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SlipknoT
Old people laughing out loud

Not to mention I also have to explain to they're geriatric asses what the difference is between the two of them.

Full screen should not be even made anymore.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2005 08:29 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
master sifadius
Master Jedi

It doesnt really matter for me, because the widescreen provdes a better picture quality with less picture, but the full screen gives you full screen with less quality.

It doesn't matter for me, as long as I am seeing the movie, its alright. rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Mar 8th, 2005 12:41 AM
master sifadius is currently offline Click here to Send master sifadius a Private Message Find more posts by master sifadius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord_Andres
No no no, somebody said that you loose if you watch it in ws, not fully true, yes movies that where shot like The Shining, and like Where eagles dare, you do loose some of the upper picture, but not in new movies , like Gladiator, LOTR there you only loose if you have fullscreen

I"m not sure about the Shining, but a lot of other old movies don't lose anything in WS because they use the original which was widescreen in theaters. I won't buy a movie if it is full screen. sick

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2005 09:42 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morpheus
The Gospel R3L0AD3D

Widescreen. It's just far to better.

She doesn't quite chop your head off. She makes a Pez dispenser out of you.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2005 02:36 AM
Morpheus is currently offline Click here to Send Morpheus a Private Message Find more posts by Morpheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Widescreen, because its easier for the publishers, aswell.

You LOSE so much of the picture with Fullscreen, so publishers had to edit the picture a lot. There's quite a lot that goes into making a fullscreen presentation out of a widescreen print. Take a simple conversation between two people. Both are on screen in widescreen, but in Fullscreen the characters wont fit, meaning the publisher has to add a panning effect, moving the fullscreen view across the widescreen picture, in order for us to see both characters. Another example of such editting is in Star Wars. There are many cuts of the films that were ruined because the picture needed to be heavily editted (like when C3PO exclaims about the aliens attacking the Millenium Falcon in The Empire Strikes Back - the original shot had Leia in the foreground, 3PO in the background, giving his lines as Leia looked on with worry. The Fullscreen edit required Leia to be removed and the result was a blurred, out of focus C3PO, it totally ruined what the cut was trying to achieve).

Movies shouldn't really be chopped up like that. A lot of films use widescreen for a reason - its better.

Fullscreen is only acceptable if it was shot in fullscreen.

The sooner it becomes the standard (and it looks that way nowadays, most TV shows are picking it up now, like The Office) the better.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2005 04:09 AM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kblixt

I hate that ws has been done on TV shows but I love ws on movies.

I LOVE movies but I also love a lot of different genres & era's, but I love film period. I also love to watch the movie award shows.I love to find out info about movie by: Surfing the net, listening, watching, & reading interviews, Reading books on the subject, Commentaries on DVD , Behind the scenes shows, Trailers, Biography shows, My friends & family,& also Reading interesting facts about the movie at imdb.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2005 02:52 PM
kblixt is currently offline Click here to Send kblixt a Private Message Find more posts by kblixt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

THey are doing that because it will eventually all be ws so might as well do it now (especially the dramas).

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Mar 10th, 2005 10:56 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote