KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Widescreen vs Fullscreen: LET'S GET IT ON!

Widescreen vs Fullscreen: LET'S GET IT ON!
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
kblixt

Crap. That sucks ass.

I LOVE movies but I also love a lot of different genres & era's, but I love film period. I also love to watch the movie award shows.I love to find out info about movie by: Surfing the net, listening, watching, & reading interviews, Reading books on the subject, Commentaries on DVD , Behind the scenes shows, Trailers, Biography shows, My friends & family,& also Reading interesting facts about the movie at imdb.

Old Post Mar 11th, 2005 02:49 PM
kblixt is currently offline Click here to Send kblixt a Private Message Find more posts by kblixt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Reborn Again
I'm HELL's Wrath!

Picture is lost at the top and bottom, just watch Spider-Man 1. You're see.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2005 04:16 AM
Reborn Again is currently offline Click here to Send Reborn Again a Private Message Find more posts by Reborn Again Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The New History
Just leave me alone ok

I can't stand watching movies in full screen. I only like to watch it widescreen. Full screen is horrible on movies. Though the biggest tv in our house is 14" and box tv (we have 4 of em + a 13" tv) I still can't stand it.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2005 08:23 AM
The New History is currently offline Click here to Send The New History a Private Message Find more posts by The New History Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, I like Full screen better.

What yall have been saying is very interesting to me and I am really considering Widescreen, but I don't know.

I think that they should have Fullscreen and Widescreen in one. Like some DVD's gives you a choice when yo watch it right then and there what format do you want to watch it in. I like those the best, sometimes I pick widescreen and sometimes I pick fullscreen.

But when I have to choose between buying a widescreen dvd or a fullscreen dvd, I choose fullscreen. I feel like the widescreen is taking more away from my visual experience, those black bars irritate me so much.
I just bought "The Incredibles" in full screen, but I may go and buy the wide screen to just to experience the movie in that way too and get the whole picture, and plus I really wouldn't mind, since I like the movie so much. It's my favorite movie of all time.

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Mar 19th, 2005 07:46 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scarlet Fox
Gun Slinger

Widescreen. In Fullscreen the edges of the video are cut off. Yes it gives you a bigg picture However you dont get the ENTIRE picture. If you want a bigger picture and the ability to see the entire thing get a BIG SCREEN! WOO HOO!

Old Post Mar 30th, 2009 02:05 AM
Scarlet Fox is currently offline Click here to Send Scarlet Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Scarlet Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Widescreen TVs are virtually the only ones to buy now, and they make watching films in their original aspect ratio the best way to go. Back in the 1990's, when I realized full screen meant they cut the sides of the frame off ( I just didn't think about it), I became a snob for watching films letterboxed, even in VHS when I could find it. Now for old films and TV shows that were shot in full frame, that's fine. It's their original format. That's what it comes down to - the original format it was meant to be seen in.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 30th, 2009 02:29 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

if you have a widescreen TV like an LCD or plasma and you buy a DVD that's a video size of 1.78.1 or 1.85.1 those will fill up your screen with no widescreen bars crap.

the ones that have 2.35.1 and 2.40.1 those will give you widescreen bars cause the way it was filmed was basically for screen sizes like projector TVs for example.

1.33.1 is full frame those will always fill your screen but its basically better for old school TVs that are tube size. because watching it on a widescreen TV will fill it up but it stretches the image so technically it wouldn't be the original image and you see the pixels more by stretching the image.

for those that don't know where to find the video size look on the back of your DVDs where it says anamorphics video its a little box and it will have a video size #.

but yes widescreen dvds do have better quality than fullscreen.

Last edited by chomperx9 on Apr 29th, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Old Post Apr 29th, 2009 12:43 AM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

I think all movies where made in widescreen back then . its just that we didnt have widescreen tvs at the time. All new movies are made in 1.78:1 IMAX

they were ment to be seen in widscreen but we didnt have the technology

Old Post Apr 30th, 2009 03:28 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coolmovies
I think all movies where made in widescreen back then . its just that we didnt have widescreen tvs at the time. All new movies are made in 1.78:1 IMAX

they were ment to be seen in widscreen but we didnt have the technology
back then there where no widescreen bars hardly ever when it was just tube 4.3 tvs. pretty much any show or movie you watched filled up your screen back then. it goes by the studio if they decide to film the movie in 1.78.1 or 2.40.1 or which ever. technically they make more money off of people going to see the movies at the theaters more than dvds later on. so they film the movies most of the time these days at 2.40.1 or 2.35.1 cause it matches the screen size at a theater. if you have a projector tv there is a way to remove the widescreen bars on most of em today.

Old Post May 1st, 2009 06:46 AM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

If you watch a widscreen dvd you still get bars (on a widscreen tv)

Old Post May 1st, 2009 10:28 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by coolmovies
If you watch a widscreen dvd you still get bars (on a widscreen tv)
only if its 2.40.1 or 2.35.1

Old Post May 1st, 2009 07:44 PM
dadudemon

Yes, it's supposed to be 16:9 or other such widescreen ratios.

One thing I DID notice was that some movies are filmed even wider than the widescreen releases. I noticed that some films cut off a little bit on the left and right.

I also noticed that not all widescreen films are created equal. Some are 16:9, and some are much more steep on the ratio like, close to 20:9.

I've never noticed anything being cut off on the tops for a widescreen film, only the sides. However, you can guarantee that quite a bit of the full screen films have lots of the picture cut off.

The least disrespectful thing to the makers and actors of a film are to watch it as close to the original format it was shot in, as possible. Think about it:

Would you look at part of a painting? Would you listen to only the middle portion of a song? Would you like to only see part of the most attractive person ever, naked?

This also has to do with sound. You should, if you can afford, get a home theater setup that has excellent sound. It wasn't shot in 5.1 or 7.1 DTS, THX, etc. just for audiophiles. I'm working on getting a sound system for my hometheater setup, already. I can't wait to hear the boom boom and all the little bits and pieces of awesome portions in film. I'm rather excited...now, if only my family can do without food for a while. shifty

Old Post May 2nd, 2009 07:15 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

99% of all my dvds are widescreen, except for the tv series and docus. I refuse to buy a full screen dvd.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post May 2nd, 2009 08:09 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Impediment
99% of all my dvds are widescreen, except for the tv series and docus. I refuse to buy a full screen dvd.
same here the only fullscreen dvds i have are some tv show ones that didnt come out on widescreen. i just wish they would put all widescreen dvds and blu rays at 1.78.1 so it will fill your screen 100%

Old Post May 2nd, 2009 08:15 PM
pirateman1650

ok let's get this straight for you widescreen junkies. widescreen is only better if the movie was originally filmed in widescreen. movies originally filmed in fullscreen or better in fullscreen because the widescreen version is matted which means black bars are added on top and bottom of the original fullscreen picture to make it widescreen as in the Back to the Future trilogy. Now the widescreen versions of movies originally filmed in fullscreen are edited so that you see what is needed to see which was intended by the director. So for instance if the director wanted you to see something as part of gag, say near the bottom of the screen, it won't be covered by a black bar. they'll just edit the screen accordingly. one more note, widscreens do give you more clarity but the choice is still yours. I hope this helps.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2010 10:44 PM
pirateman1650 is currently offline Click here to Send pirateman1650 a Private Message Find more posts by pirateman1650 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote