KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why Gandalf didn't fight the Witch King

Why Gandalf didn't fight the Witch King
Started by: K3VIL

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Batman Returns

i dont know who said the withcking COULDNT defeat gandalf, but they are wrong. the witchking is presented in the book and now in the movie as a match for gandalf.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2005 10:21 PM
Batman Returns is currently offline Click here to Send Batman Returns a Private Message Find more posts by Batman Returns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

I for one am happy it was added into the extended edition, cause it explains why Gandalf does not have his staff when they go to the black gate, cause the witch king destroys his staff. I was wondering what had happened to it when i first saw the movie in the theater, and then when i saw the extened edition i was like oooo that's why. It had been a while since i read the book.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2005 06:29 AM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gandalfjon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jaro
I found proof that Gandalf himself said he couldn't defeat the Witch-King!
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Chapter IV: The Siege of Gondor Pg. 800-801 (One volume edition)
'Is Faramir come?' he asked.
'No,' said Gandalf. 'But he still lived when I left him. Yet he is resolved to stay with the reargurad, lest the retreat over the Pelennor become a rout. He may, perhaps, hold his men together long enough, but I doubt it. He is pitted against a foe too great. For one has come that I feared.'
'Not - the Dark Lord?' cried Pippin, forgetting his place in his terror.
Denethor laughed bitterly. 'Nay, not yet, Master Peregrin! He will not come save only to triumph over me when all is won. He uses others as his weapons. So do all great lords, if they are wise, Master Halfling. Or why should I sit here in my tower and think, and watch, and wair, spending even my sons? For I can still wield a brand.'
He stood up and cast opened his long black cloak, and behold! he was clad in mail beneath, and grit with a long sword, great-hilted in a sheath of black and silver. 'Thus have I walked, and thus now for many years have I slept,' he said, 'lest we age the body should grow soft and timid.'
'Yet now under the Lord of Barad-dur the most fell of all his captains is already master of your outer walls' said Gandalf. 'King of Angmar long ago, Sorcerer, Ringwraith, Lord of the Nazgul, a spear of terror in the hand of Sauron, shadow of despair.'
'Then, Mithrandir, you had a foe to match you,' Said Denethor. 'For myself, I have long known who is chief captain of the hosts of the Dark Tower. Is this all that you have returned to say? Or cab it be that you have withdrawn because you are overmatched?'
Pippin trembled, fearing that Gandalf would be stung to sudden wrath, but his fear was needless. 'It might be so,' Gandalf answered softly. 'But our trial of strength is not yet come. And if words spoken of old be true blah, blah, blah...
(How do you put a ^ over words like you should for Nazgul?)

I quit trying to talk to you guys fans of the Nazgûl, i have already put here so much proves of Gandalf being stronger then the Nazgûl and you guys simply reply with nonsense proves, I know he is strong, but ther is no prove of he being stronger than gandalf (in the book). I know he is strong but the book itself has much more that tells he is not stronger then gandalf, it just say that he is a match for gandalf but not stronger.
I wont try to prove anything to you guys anymore, ive put many things here just go back and read then. I will now search for a post that likes gandalf.
Oh, and remember what the book 2 tell us: Gandalf cant be hurt by any power on earth. You guys dind say a thing about this did you? Well, live with that! Good Bye!

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 06:01 PM
Gandalfjon is currently offline Click here to Send Gandalfjon a Private Message Find more posts by Gandalfjon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

How do you put a ^ above words like Nazguls?
And the Nazguls are not powers from earth. Sauron is an Angelic being and he gave the Nazguls their might through the rings

Old Post Sep 28th, 2005 07:10 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

Peter Jackson **** that scene up between the witch king and Gandalf, if they were to really fight gandalf would have owned him.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2005 03:12 AM
JediMasterLuke5 is currently offline Click here to Send JediMasterLuke5 a Private Message Find more posts by JediMasterLuke5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Why do people have a false sense of Gandalf's power? It says it in the book between Denethor and Gandalf. Gandalf said himself the Witch-King was stronger

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2005 08:14 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

Originally posted by Celestial
Why do people have a false sense of Gandalf's power? It says it in the book between Denethor and Gandalf. Gandalf said himself the Witch-King was stronger

Will you please quote that? If you remember correctly Gandalf the Grey fought all 9 Nazgul on Weathertop with no problem, why wouldnt he be able to destroy the Witch King? Gandalf was a Maiar(an Angel). Here's a quote that I would like you to read.

"Gandalf: Dangerous, And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet."

also here's another quote....

"The Dark Lord has Nine. But we have One, mightier then they are: the White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the abyss, and they shall fear him."

If Gandalf would have fought the Witch King Gandalf would have totally ahniliated him.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2005 08:50 PM
JediMasterLuke5 is currently offline Click here to Send JediMasterLuke5 a Private Message Find more posts by JediMasterLuke5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Fought all 9 on Weathertop???

Where the heck is this coming from?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 9th, 2005 10:59 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nazgul lord

Originally posted by The Inkeeper
disapointing? He had a big flaming sword confused
He tells Gandalf hes going to kill him!

Gandalf didnt fight him because 'no man can kill him' and as far as i can tell, Gandafl is a man. Plus, he didnt have one of those sexy noldor swords.

If he killed wiki, theoden would live, the charge wouldnt be as dramatic, wouldnt be as effective on the audience and would overall be disapointing.

Plus- Viggo is

is gandalf a man or saruman or *BAD SPELLING APROCHING* radaghast,
there miar arent they? istari?? but thats beside the piont, K3VIL would you fight someone whose sword was on fire?? me thinks not cool

Old Post Oct 9th, 2005 11:34 PM
Nazgul lord is currently offline Click here to Send Nazgul lord a Private Message Find more posts by Nazgul lord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Fought all 9 on Weathertop???

Where the heck is this coming from?

The fellowship of the ring. I cant find the quote right now but its some where in the Fellowship of the Ring book.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 12:21 AM
Peach
mordrem

I just looked, nowhere does it say that. Only thing it says about Gandalf and Weathertop that I've found is this:

'I think now,' said Strider, 'that the enemy has been watching this place for some days. If Gandalf ever came here, then he must have been forced to ride away, and he will not return. In any case we are in great peril here after dark, since the attack of last night, and we can hardly meet greater danger wherever we go.'

This is on page 194 of my copy of LOTR, which is the single-edition paperback.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 01:13 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

Its in there somewhere, trust me its in there. I remember reading it.

Check Many Meetings or Council of Elrond I think its in those chapters

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 01:17 AM
Peach
mordrem

I will look again, then.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 01:21 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Found this, but it doesn't prove anything to your point...

'I galloped to Weathertop like a gale, and I reached it before sundown on my second day from Bree - and they were there before me. They drew away from me, for they felt the coming of my anger and they dared not face it while the Sun was in the sky. But they closed round at night, and I was besieged on the hell-top, in the old ring of Amon Sul. I was hard put to it indeed: such light and flame cannot have been seen on Weathertop since the war-beacons of old.
At sunrise I escaped and felt towards the north. I could not hope to do more. It was impossible to find you, Frodo, in the wilderness, and it would have been folly to try with all the Nine at my heels. So I had to trust to Aragorn. But I hoped to draw some of them off, and yet reach Rivendell ahead of you and send out help. Four Riders did indeed follow me, but they turned back after a while and made for the Ford, it seems. That helped a litle, for there were only five, not nine, when your camp was attacked.' (pp 257-258)

Just says Gandalf fought them, not how many of them.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 01:43 AM
RaidenDeadpool
"Nerd maker funner of-er"

Re: Why Gandalf didn't fight the Witch King

Originally posted by K3VIL
In the book if i'm right Gandalf the White fought against the Witch King, and in the ROTK they just use him as a traffic light, hitting with a little light the Nazguls, and then fighting against the army of Mordor, but he doesn't use his magic powers.It was wrong from my personal opinion, also the fight with the Witch King could have to be most spectacular except for the defeat of Sauron.

P.S. Is it my impression or Viggo Mortensen have a facial espression of someone who has been hittend in the OO and is feeling pain for all the duration of the movie when he's not fighting?

Why? Cuz Gandalf is b!tch. Thats why.

The above image is not of Cyrax doing the "Charleston". It is of Deadpool disguised as Cyrax and mocking him by doing the "Charleston". That's just what he does...

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 01:51 AM
RaidenDeadpool is currently offline Click here to Send RaidenDeadpool a Private Message Find more posts by RaidenDeadpool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediMasterLuke5
Superman is a god

Originally posted by Lana

'I galloped to Weathertop like a gale, and I reached it before sundown on my second day from Bree - and they were there before me. They drew away from me, for they felt the coming of my anger and they dared not face it while the Sun was in the sky. But they closed round at night, and I was besieged on the hell-top, in the old ring of Amon Sul. I was hard put to it indeed: such light and flame cannot have been seen on Weathertop since the war-beacons of old.
At sunrise I escaped and felt towards the north. I could not hope to do more. It was impossible to find you, Frodo, in the wilderness, and it would have been folly to try with all the Nine at my heels. So I had to trust to Aragorn. But I hoped to draw some of them off, and yet reach Rivendell ahead of you and send out help. Four Riders did indeed follow me, but they turned back after a while and made for the Ford, it seems. That helped a litle, for there were only five, not nine, when your camp was attacked.' (pp 257-258)

Where its say "all Nine at my heels" gives a big clue.

But thanks for looking that up for me, I knew it was in there some where.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 01:54 AM
Mánwé

Its clear to me that we all have are Tolkien hero's. Just respect others and read the books, stay with the facts. oh and i would say what wiki would not stand a chance. (i know the hobbits blade was a critical strike , but Eowen's sword killed him so? well blah is what i think messed ) oh BTW Golllum says they cant be killed. makes me mad sad

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 02:53 PM
Mánwé is currently offline Click here to Send Mánwé a Private Message Find more posts by Mánwé Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by Lana

It never says Gandalf fought them. He just said they gave chase to him and that's all.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2005 11:17 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Exactly. In fact, it precisely makes out that Gandalf a. did not and b COULD not have stood and fought with the 9. They did not approach him at the first meeting because it was not night.

Gandalf did NOT fight the nine Nazgul at any point. He warded them off and then ran like hell.

Gandalf did not even try to attack the four following him. It's worth noting, by contrast, that Glorfindel DID go on the offensive against the Nazgul when he found them.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 11th, 2005 at 12:02 PM

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 11:57 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Celestial
It never says Gandalf fought them. He just said they gave chase to him and that's all.

It said they besieged him, I took that as they attacked and he fought until he could run...but it has been two years since I've last read LOTR so I could have simply misread that, taking it out of context like I did.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 01:41 PM