KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Nine Levels of Lightsaber Combat?

Nine Levels of Lightsaber Combat?
Started by: mtryder

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mtryder

Nine Levels of Lightsaber Combat?

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered, but I tried search and it didn't turn up any results for me.

I've been hearing quite a bit about how Anakin has become so powerful that he is now a "level nine" lightsaber user, along with Yoda and Sidious. Obi-Wan, apparently, is a level 8. I was just wondering, basically, if anyone knew of a complete list of which Jedi fall on which level? I would be fascinated to see how they are ranked.

I know about the seven lightsaber forms, and given that Mace is the only living practitioner of Form VII at this time, it really surprises me that he's apparently a seven out of nine, at most, and that he falls below Obi-Wan. Or is the list of 9s and 8s that I've been presented with an incomplete one?

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 07:21 AM
Click here to Send mtryder a Private Message Find more posts by mtryder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
notDeadYet!
Resident Villain

Well I don't know who has been spreading this nonsense, but I have sure never heard anything to this effect "officially." If there is a discussion or an opinion on this it is definitely engineered by fanboys or idiots.

laughing

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 09:13 AM
Click here to Send notDeadYet! a Private Message Find more posts by notDeadYet! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

I have never heard of these levels. And how can Mace be seven and Yoda nine? Didn't Obi-wan say that Windu is better then Yoda in saberuse, in AotC?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 10:38 AM
Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yup, sounds like fanboy stuff. Moving to EU.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 11:27 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mtryder

It's a method that Nick Gillard uses to determine how he will sequence lightsaber duels, so it's certainly not EU.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii.../beacon126.html

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 04:23 PM
Click here to Send mtryder a Private Message Find more posts by mtryder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That's just a reference they use to rate how good the combatants are in the duels they are devising. It's not a way they are rated within the univerise.

Forms are from the EU and ARE in thae universe, hit only in EU canon.

So you can either be talking about Forms- EU- or trying to apply Nick Gillards system for choreographing fights to other Jedi- also belonging in EU.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 8th, 2005 at 04:29 PM

Old Post Feb 8th, 2005 04:27 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
notDeadYet!
Resident Villain

quote:
It's a method that Nick Gillard uses to determine how he will sequence lightsaber duels, so it's certainly not EU.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii.../beacon126.html

Well I stand somewhat corrected. Interesting...I hadn't ever read that before. smile

Now that Nick Gillard's name has been brought up I kind of seem to remember him talking on one of the Star Wars DVDs about different forms of sword fighting. And I kind of think that this should be in the Episode III forum because it is about the making of Episode III lightsaber duels.

But I am confident that no list exists for the skills of each Jedi unless Lucas has one in a desk somewhere. I'm sure SuperShadow could come up with a list though. laughing laughing out loud

Old Post Feb 9th, 2005 03:43 AM
Click here to Send notDeadYet! a Private Message Find more posts by notDeadYet! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Nefarus
Redi Knight

Of course Super Shadow could, he does afterall edit for Lucas.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2005 04:30 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Nefarus a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Nefarus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I have already given the reasons why this is an EU subject. If it is not a fight that Gillard has choreographed then there is no rating he would have assigned them. Like I say, it is NOT an in-universe thing.

BtVS

Old Post Feb 9th, 2005 11:56 AM
Darth_DaNThEMaN
Restricted

Account Restricted

mace windu created form 7 but is not the only user....depa billaba and darth maul aslon use it

Old Post Mar 18th, 2005 12:20 PM
Click here to Send Darth_DaNThEMaN a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_DaNThEMaN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Mawi
Jedi Master Assassin

How would Darth Maul know about Form VII? Sora Bulq and Depa billaba are the only ones to practise it.

Old Post May 1st, 2005 06:16 PM
Click here to Send Master Mawi a Private Message Find more posts by Master Mawi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Mawi
Jedi Master Assassin

Personally I think Darth Maul is a Form V user

Old Post May 1st, 2005 06:18 PM
Click here to Send Master Mawi a Private Message Find more posts by Master Mawi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kun-ni Habeo
Restricted

Account Restricted

darth maulNEVER used form VII

ZIVELA SRBIJA I BUREK!

Old Post May 1st, 2005 07:41 PM
Click here to Send Kun-ni Habeo a Private Message Find more posts by Kun-ni Habeo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

actually he was using form VII. Form VII was incomplete and Mace made his version called Vapaad and Maul used his and its name is unknown.

Old Post May 1st, 2005 07:44 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

how is maul's style applicable to sabre combat if his weapon is better defined as a staff?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post May 1st, 2005 10:43 PM
Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wanderer259

Well, apparently the term 'lightsaber' applies to all weapons that utilize that sort of technology. As far as forms go, they really don't differ as far as techniques go, at least largely. For the most part, a form is simply the way each Jedi uses their lightsaber.

For instance, Form III users focus something like 95% on defense. The entire time during a fight, a Form III practitioner will stay on the defensive until they spot what they think is an opportunity -- an opening in their opponent -- and then strike. They're very good at deflecting blaster bolts.

Form V, however, is nearly the exact opposite. Whereas a Form III user will stay defensive, Form V users forego defense almost entirely and focus on offense -- constantly attacking. Sort've a 'no need for defense when your opponent is dead' mentality. They deflect blaster bolts, but they don't do it from the need to defend themselves; they deflect back at their enemies on purpose. For them, it's merely a convenient weapon that their enemy just gave them.

Form III and Form V practitioners will use the same techniques (a certain kind of spinning cut or whatever, for instance), but they fight differently. A form is a combat philosophy, really.

Old Post May 1st, 2005 10:56 PM
Click here to Send Wanderer259 a Private Message Find more posts by Wanderer259 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Excellent way of looking at it.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 01:09 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor Strange
Master of the mystic arts

There are seven forms. Mace Windu created Form VII: Vapaad. Kit Fisto uses form I, a more primal form of combat. Dooku uses form II, basically fencing. Obi-wan uses the traditonal defensive form III. Anakin uses the offense-based form V. Logically, we can assume that Yoda's acrobatic style of combat is either form IV or form VI.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 01:59 AM
Click here to Send Doctor Strange a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor Strange Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wanderer259

Yoda is using Ataru (Form IV). It's because of his size and the speed at which he moves that he's left less vulnerable using it than Qui-Gon was.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 02:00 AM
Click here to Send Wanderer259 a Private Message Find more posts by Wanderer259 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Yeah, Yoda's an Ataru master. And Form II is not just fencing. It's precision based lightsaber fighting. A style made for defeating less skilled opponents and holding off better ones.

Old Post May 2nd, 2005 02:06 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote