KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Who is the best guitarist of all time??

Who is the best guitarist of all time??
Started by: undertaker619

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (25): « First ... « 22 23 [24] 25 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spawns
Cheeky Bastard

Daron malakian

Thanks SCRIBS!!!

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2014 07:13 PM
Spawns is currently offline Click here to Send Spawns a Private Message Find more posts by Spawns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Buckethead is straight dope. I still wouldn't place him above Vai, but he is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyQJH615KwA

Old Post Dec 20th, 2014 09:25 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I would place him above Vai.

Live recordings of Soothsayer are that shit I like.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2014 09:48 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

He wasn't the best but honorable mentions to the late Jeff Healy. He could play his ass off, and he was blind.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2014 02:19 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
I would place him above Vai.

Live recordings of Soothsayer are that shit I like.

I just checked, and you know what? I think that you're 100% correct. Buckethead actually burns Vai on several levels. Not just that, but he may also be the the best guitarist ever. He literally makes Zakk Wylde sound unpolished, and that's saying a shit load. Zakk can play intricate pieces using his mouth, but is unable to leave his comfort zone. Buckethead Has put out more solo albums than any guitarist ever, and these are quality pieces of fine art. I've never heard anything like this before. He should put an Ass Kicker sticker on his guitar.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2015 07:09 AM
jinXed by JaNx

jimmy page is by far the Best there is...,No argument needed. smile

Old Post Jan 25th, 2015 09:10 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Originally posted by Stoic
He wasn't the best but honorable mentions to the late Jeff Healy. He could play his ass off, and he was blind.
Damn right. Love his whole style – really exemplifies the whole playing by pure emotion thing that so many guitarists lack these days (or ever).

Best guitarist, though? There's no such thing.

But yeah, Jimmy Page is well ****ing up there.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2015 11:55 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

I think I've already said that Buckethead is the best.

Still the best, imo.

Jimmy Hendrix a close 2nd.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Feb 17th, 2015 03:07 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

I'm not really a fan of Buckethead, sorry. I prefer guitarists with context (i.e. in a band and not just showing off kinda thing – I'm not a Steve Vai fan, either) and all the vids of Buckethead I've seen on youtube weren't particularly spectacular or impressive. Do you have any particular pieces you can recommend me that exhibits his greatness? I'm always up for getting into something new and I like getting past initial reactions to artists (although I have tried with Buckethead a number of times).

Jimi Hendrix is overrated as a 'technical guitar player' – none of his live stuff has a scratch in technical ability to Jimmy Page, and I'm not saying that as opinion, it's just true. However, you can't knock him for his innovation or feeling. The way I see it, Page set the standard for virtuoso playing so like hard rock and heavy metal and solo guitar and Hendrix (along with the VU) basically created alternative/noise rock as a concept, so in theory I should prefer Hendrix. Yet I still listen to way more Led Zep than Hendrix. But at the end of the day, they're the two Jimi/Jimmys. Can't knock 'em at all.

Edit: another thing re. Hendrix, though: he sang and played at the same time. No small feat there, his rhythm guitar/lead combo style of playing is un-****able with.

Last edited by Scribble on Feb 17th, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Old Post Feb 17th, 2015 10:18 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

George Harrison? Van Halen?

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2015 04:21 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Scribble
I'm not really a fan of Buckethead, sorry. I prefer guitarists with context (i.e. in a band and not just showing off kinda thing – I'm not a Steve Vai fan, either) and all the vids of Buckethead I've seen on youtube weren't particularly spectacular or impressive. Do you have any particular pieces you can recommend me that exhibits his greatness? I'm always up for getting into something new and I like getting past initial reactions to artists (although I have tried with Buckethead a number of times).

Jimi Hendrix is overrated as a 'technical guitar player' – none of his live stuff has a scratch in technical ability to Jimmy Page, and I'm not saying that as opinion, it's just true. However, you can't knock him for his innovation or feeling. The way I see it, Page set the standard for virtuoso playing so like hard rock and heavy metal and solo guitar and Hendrix (along with the VU) basically created alternative/noise rock as a concept, so in theory I should prefer Hendrix. Yet I still listen to way more Led Zep than Hendrix. But at the end of the day, they're the two Jimi/Jimmys. Can't knock 'em at all.

Edit: another thing re. Hendrix, though: he sang and played at the same time. No small feat there, his rhythm guitar/lead combo style of playing is un-****able with.

I'm listening to Buckethead right now, and this man is AWESOME.

Listen to Look up there off of the Look Up There album. He brought the 70's psychedelic vibe out in this tune, but he super spiked it with incredible technicality (tune is funky as hell). Buckethead's main strength is that he can cater to any medium, and remain seemingly unfazed by leaving a self imposed comfort zone. I don't think he has a comfort zone per say, he's just comfortable. I mean if that makes any sense. This is what makes him the best ever.

Oh and Passageway, is a really decent, and mellow album. It's one song broken up into 5 parts. Buckethead is a sketch artists dream IMO. So yeah I recommend those two albums.

Last edited by Stoic on Feb 26th, 2015 at 12:37 AM

Old Post Feb 26th, 2015 12:30 AM
Stoic
Avenger

Old Post Feb 26th, 2015 12:43 AM
Scribble

I'm listening to Buckethead right now, and this man is AWESOME.

Listen to Look up there off of the Look Up There album. He brought the 70's psychedelic vibe out in this tune, but he super spiked it with incredible technicality (tune is funky as hell). Buckethead's main strength is that he can cater to any medium, and remain seemingly unfazed by leaving a self imposed comfort zone. I don't think he has a comfort zone per say, he's just comfortable. I mean if that makes any sense. This is what makes him the best ever.

Oh and Passageway, is a really decent, and mellow album. It's one song broken up into 5 parts. Buckethead is a sketch artists dream IMO. So yeah I recommend those two albums.

Look up there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19FFbmbZ3bc
Cheers for the recs, man. I liked Passageway quite a bit – great texture work, quite haunting and beautiful. I can see why he's so heralded now. I can't say that I'll probably listen to him too regularly but that's only because I prefer listening to bands and songs to solo guitar stuff, but if I was into solo guitar, I'd lap this stuff up. I'd like to hear him in the context of a full band, do you have any albums like that you could recommend?

Buckethead is clearly incredibly adept in what he does, and has a great sense of melody. I do think however there are plenty of guitar players on similar (if not higher) levels of accomplishment; if you haven't heard Guthrie Govan yet, give him a listen (check out the Erotic Cakes album, it's a grand work, that), and if you don't know Jason Becker then check out his Perpetual Burn album. Mother****er can seriously shred. Becker is more traditional metal/rock, but Govan is something unique, a lot funkier, you'd probably like him if you like Buckethead.

But anyway, this is what I mean about "there's no such thing as the greatest guitarist ever" – there are too many geniuses who are on top of their game at all times. Govan has like, one album whilst Buckethead has over a hundred, but I don't think you can judge greatness on prolificness alone. Nor can you judge it on speed, melody, or anything else. I really do think it's a specific matter of taste with it, even though there are plenty of guitarists who could be considered among the greatest, Buckethead being one of them.

Again though, thank you for the recs, was a great way to start my day.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2015 09:23 AM
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Scribble
Cheers for the recs, man. I liked Passageway quite a bit – great texture work, quite haunting and beautiful. I can see why he's so heralded now. I can't say that I'll probably listen to him too regularly but that's only because I prefer listening to bands and songs to solo guitar stuff, but if I was into solo guitar, I'd lap this stuff up. I'd like to hear him in the context of a full band, do you have any albums like that you could recommend?

Buckethead is clearly incredibly adept in what he does, and has a great sense of melody. I do think however there are plenty of guitar players on similar (if not higher) levels of accomplishment; if you haven't heard Guthrie Govan yet, give him a listen (check out the Erotic Cakes album, it's a grand work, that), and if you don't know Jason Becker then check out his Perpetual Burn album. Mother****er can seriously shred. Becker is more traditional metal/rock, but Govan is something unique, a lot funkier, you'd probably like him if you like Buckethead.

But anyway, this is what I mean about "there's no such thing as the greatest guitarist ever" – there are too many geniuses who are on top of their game at all times. Govan has like, one album whilst Buckethead has over a hundred, but I don't think you can judge greatness on prolificness alone. Nor can you judge it on speed, melody, or anything else. I really do think it's a specific matter of taste with it, even though there are plenty of guitarists who could be considered among the greatest, Buckethead being one of them.

Again though, thank you for the recs, was a great way to start my day.

I'll definitely give those guys a listen. I really enjoy the guitar (always have) Solo is my favorite, because I feel as if I'm fully immersed in pure talent. Well as long as the guitarist can play the strings off of their instrument. It's a huge reason why I used to love listening to Vai's Passion and Warfare album, but now Buckethead has pretty much destroyed any and everything that Vai's put out, and I'm hooked. We live in a time that's filled with guys rapping about girls enthralled with their trowsers, and wowsers so when i have the opportunity to hear real talent I go ape-shit.

Enough of that rant though big grin. So you liked Passageway huh? Well I've got another for you. Buckethead just put out what feels like the sequel in an album called (you ready for this brother?) The Left Panel, and let me tell you, if you enjoyed Passageway, you will go crazy for this. There are only 2 tunes, but the album lasts for 4 seconds shy of 30 minutes. It's just pure cosmic win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2SjeNSTsHM

This is the reason why he is the best. He just keeps putting out album after album. 109 Albums? Good lord that's simply unheard of, so if anything, this man deserves his props for bleeding his fingers off just to deliver an awesome form of art. Or you can listen to the guy talking about his trowsers, and how wowsers he feels about that sort of thing LOL. Hope you enjoy the new album, and glad you liked Passageway.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2015 05:25 AM
Stoic
Avenger

Buckethead - Polar Trench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MLPbpdHidY

The first tune made me say OHHHH SHITTTT! I was blown the eff away.

Any more proof needed that this man is Neo on the guitar?

Old Post Feb 28th, 2015 06:06 AM
Stoic
Avenger

Just had to add this'

Buckethead - Strips of Paper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OANe9NSxhM

This song will make you move to Bucketheadland, and purchase property.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2015 04:45 AM
Stoic
Avenger

Question: Who can beat this guy?
Answer: NO ONE

This album is just... Give it listen. Just do it.

Buckethead - Claymation Courtyard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftPuNjFNMoA

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 08:12 AM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Buckethead - Polar Trench

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MLPbpdHidY

The first tune made me say OHHHH SHITTTT! I was blown the eff away.

Any more proof needed that this man is Neo on the guitar?

I had sex listening to this yesterday.

Made it even more awesome. thumb up

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jun 28th, 2015 06:34 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
I had sex listening to this yesterday.

Made it even more awesome. thumb up

Oh yeah man, I know, it's an awesome song. You have to check out the Pikes #150 Heaven is your home album. Song 2 is even better IMO. It's called Always Watching.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2015 06:20 AM
jinXed by JaNx

Why is everyone so infatuated with, Buckethead. He is certainly good but comparatively speaking i don't see how anyone would mention him amongst the greats. IMO he hasn't shown anything other than technical ability. In that vein he's not in the league of guitarists such as, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray, Van Halen or Page.

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Aug 24th, 2015 at 04:55 AM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2015 04:52 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote