KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Who is the best guitarist of all time??

Who is the best guitarist of all time??
Started by: undertaker619

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (25): « First ... « 23 24 [25]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scribble
Pyramid

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Why is everyone so infatuated with, Buckethead. He is certainly good but comparatively speaking i don't see how anyone would mention him amongst the greats. IMO he hasn't shown anything other than technical ability. In that vein he's not in the league of guitarists such as, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray, Van Halen or Page.
It's not something I understand either, but he sure has a shitload of über-dedicated fans behind him. Maybe it's the bucket on his head? Maybe that just gives him an extra 'weirdo' edge? Some of his more Fusion-inspired stuff is impressive on a technical level, but compare any of it to John McLaughlin's playing on his solo album "Devotion" or to any of his playing with the first incarnation of the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and it doesn't really hold up, imo. There are guitarists faster, weirder, more technical, more emotive, more distinct, etc. than Buckethead. But at the end of the day, he does have a massively rabid fanbase. So it must come from somewhere. I just don't, for the life of me, know where.

dear god dear god tinkle hoy

Old Post Aug 24th, 2015 02:59 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lud

Hmm, very tough question..

Jimmy Hendrix
Radomir Mihailovic Tocak
Jimmy Page
Mark Knoppfler
Van Halen

and lots of more...

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2015 12:50 AM
lud is currently offline Click here to Send lud a Private Message Find more posts by lud Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ghoulio
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mine is Tim Reynolds. Not his solo stuff but the acoustic stuff he does is Dave Matthews is amazing.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2015 09:56 PM
Ghoulio is currently offline Click here to Send Ghoulio a Private Message Find more posts by Ghoulio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Why is everyone so infatuated with, Buckethead. He is certainly good but comparatively speaking i don't see how anyone would mention him amongst the greats. IMO he hasn't shown anything other than technical ability. In that vein he's not in the league of guitarists such as, Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray, Van Halen or Page.

For one, he can play nearly any genre as good or better than the people stuck in any particular genre. He plays blues, smooth jazz, country, metal, rock, alternative rock. The list goes on and on. The guys that you made mention of are tremendous artists, but they tend to be stuck in a comfort zone that Buckethead isn't. If you have to ask why he deserves to be mentioned among the greatest of all time, you should listen to all of his albums, he has over 220. When it comes to putting in the work he does it in spades which is why so many people love him. Vai, Satriani, Eddy Van Halen etc, can not ever hope to boast so loudly, which Buckethead doesn't but his fans do it for him. He's the badass of this generation face it.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2016 09:36 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
All will be revealed

What are some actual memorable riffs for example from Buckethead?

With Page you have things like Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love, Lemon Song, The Wanton Song, etc. With Buckethead all I hear about are how many albums he does and how many genres he plays.

Which is a little easier when he doesn't need a singer and he can just shit out a song no matter how little it works with other instruments and call it a day. So you get everything he can possibly think of with no secrets. Nothing hits the cutting room floor.

I'm not denying he's good, but he also has less obligations and less holding him back than people he's getting compared to.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2016 09:46 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by One Big Mob
What are some actual memorable riffs for example from Buckethead?

With Page you have things like Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love, Lemon Song, The Wanton Song, etc. With Buckethead all I hear about are how many albums he does and how many genres he plays.

Which is a little easier when he doesn't need a singer and he can just shit out a song no matter how little it works with other instruments and call it a day. So you get everything he can possibly think of with no secrets. Nothing hits the cutting room floor.

I'm not denying he's good, but he also has less obligations and less holding him back than people he's getting compared to.

Listen to Passageways and see for yourself. It would also depend on what you like. He has albums that are pure speed metal and some that are smooth Jazz like Rise of the blue lotus. Another album that I took to was the Heaven is your home album which reminded me of Pink Floyd. You have to also realize that you may not be drawn to him because you may be the type that needs lyrics to make a song. Page was good, but you can't compare him to Buckethead. Technically speaking, Buckethead is more refined, but then again he's more refined than many guitarists. He can go from playing the Spanish guitar in one album to playing Country music, and then to playing smooth Jazz, or Metal. His mastery lies in his ability to play nearly every genre.

So you have an Album that he made called Colma that would appeal to the smooth jazz enthusiasts check it out for yourself, he also has one called Captain EO's voyage which was dedicated to Micheal Jackson which was Mike's Super Hero Moniker and a video game with Mike was made for the Sega Genesis about 25 years ago. He has sooo much stuff that nothing is really stopping you from delving right in. I mean a lot of it is on Youtube. That is if you're interested. I personally love his shit. Like they say in the hood "His shit be bumpin".

Oh and lest I forget, try sampling his A real diamond in the rough album. Some of the songs on that album are pretty good.

Last edited by Stoic on Feb 22nd, 2016 at 01:07 AM

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2016 12:58 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

@One Big Mob. Listen to a song called "Dancing the Dream". It blew me away.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2016 01:46 AM
One Big Mob
All will be revealed

Originally posted by Stoic
Listen to Passageways and see for yourself. It would also depend on what you like. He has albums that are pure speed metal and some that are smooth Jazz like Rise of the blue lotus. Another album that I took to was the Heaven is your home album which reminded me of Pink Floyd. You have to also realize that you may not be drawn to him because you may be the type that needs lyrics to make a song. Page was good, but you can't compare him to Buckethead. Technically speaking, Buckethead is more refined, but then again he's more refined than many guitarists. He can go from playing the Spanish guitar in one album to playing Country music, and then to playing smooth Jazz, or Metal. His mastery lies in his ability to play nearly every genre.

So you have an Album that he made called Colma that would appeal to the smooth jazz enthusiasts check it out for yourself, he also has one called Captain EO's voyage which was dedicated to Micheal Jackson which was Mike's Super Hero Moniker and a video game with Mike was made for the Sega Genesis about 25 years ago. He has sooo much stuff that nothing is really stopping you from delving right in. I mean a lot of it is on Youtube. That is if you're interested. I personally love his shit. Like they say in the hood "His shit be bumpin".

Oh and lest I forget, try sampling his A real diamond in the rough album. Some of the songs on that album are pretty good.
You pretty much described Page and said that is what seperates Buckethead from him. erm

Hell in Houses of The Holy alone he plays Reggae, folk, Hard Rock, Funk, psychodelic, and whatever the hell the Rain Song is. He even plays mandolin in The Battle of Evermore. Plus you're talking about a guy who's known for playing his double axe twelve string flawlessly.

I'll check out some albums, but I'm mostly asking about great riffs. I can point you to amazing riffs from Jimmy, but I've never heard the same of Buckethead. It's mostly just what I described which even you did here which is just point me to some albums. You'd think for a guy with that many songs there'd be specific examples.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2016 01:52 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by One Big Mob
You pretty much described Page and said that is what seperates Buckethead from him. erm

Hell in Houses of The Holy alone he plays Reggae, folk, Hard Rock, Funk, psychodelic, and whatever the hell the Rain Song is. He even plays mandolin in The Battle of Evermore. Plus you're talking about a guy who's known for playing his double axe twelve string flawlessly.

I'll check out some albums, but I'm mostly asking about great riffs. I can point you to amazing riffs from Jimmy, but I've never heard the same of Buckethead. It's mostly just what I described which even you did here which is just point me to some albums. You'd think for a guy with that many songs there'd be specific examples.

You can't compare them. They both come from different eras of Music. I love Led Zep brother trust me on that. I mean I think I have every lbum ever recorded or very close to it, but Buckethead... Listen some of the stuff will appeal to some but not all, My cousin is a Smooth Jazz fan, and he was immediately moved by the Colma album. You may not be. If you listen to that album and compare it to Passageways, or Claymation Courtyard it's almost as if they were done by completely different artists which is what I mean. Page had a very distinct style, while Buckethead doesn't appear to. He's all over the place. I gave you several examples in my last post. It's up to you to drink. However when you have hundreds of thousands of people coming out of the woodwork claiming that Buckethead is the best ever, perhaps you had better delve in and see why.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2016 02:02 AM
Stoic
Avenger

Also OBM you may take note that some of his albums are just one long story broken into several parts which is what the Passageways album is. This is kind of why it's a little difficult to give you one good riff when he has amazing ones that last for 30 minutes... LOL.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2016 02:16 AM
BlueFnord

Best was Shawn Lane .

Old Post Nov 25th, 2016 04:00 PM
BlueFnord is currently offline Click here to Send BlueFnord a Private Message Find more posts by BlueFnord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote