KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Who is the best guitarist of all time??

Who is the best guitarist of all time??
Started by: undertaker619

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (25): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deano

apart from the obvious candidates...i quite like:

Yngwie Malmsteen
Ulrich Roth

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Oct 9th, 2006 05:35 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Malmsteen is great if you enjoy bland uninspired shred

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2006 07:08 PM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

i guess i enjoy blandness then.

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Oct 13th, 2006 06:20 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dregh

Mark Knopfler or Jimmy Page

Old Post Oct 14th, 2006 10:44 PM
Dregh is currently offline Click here to Send Dregh a Private Message Find more posts by Dregh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lighthammer
Colonial Marine

Bass Guitar is Ken Casey.

From the b***s of Hancock's junior's to the shores of misery, we will curse our country's leaders cross the stars on land and sea, first to fight the distant corporate wars, spill our blood for a sheaf of green, we will do or die, we ask not why cuz we're colonial marines!

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 03:17 AM
Lighthammer is currently offline Click here to Send Lighthammer a Private Message Find more posts by Lighthammer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
phreak_v2.o
Metal Goddess

forgot to mention earlier
BUCKETHEAD!!!!
rock

3. POTC 2

Old Post Oct 17th, 2006 09:38 PM
phreak_v2.o is currently offline Click here to Send phreak_v2.o a Private Message Find more posts by phreak_v2.o Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Neal Schon of Journey.

Seriously, the man's a freakin' beast. He is hands down one of the fastes, most fluid guitar players.

He's also performed with: Hardline, Bad English, Santana, Paul Rodgers, HSAS, and Soul SirkUS.

Check this out:

When he was FOURTEEN years old, he was asked by Carlos Santana to join Santana and Eric Clapton to join Derek and the Dominos.

Sorry, guys. That blows Slash, Brian May, Phil Collen, Kirk Kammet, and so forth out of the damn water, lol.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2006 10:46 PM
Gideon is currently offline Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aluminum Falcon

don't know who's the best, but my favorites are:
Matt Bellamy
Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood
Damien Rice

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 07:39 PM
Aluminum Falcon is currently offline Click here to Send Aluminum Falcon a Private Message Find more posts by Aluminum Falcon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Gideon
Neal Schon of Journey.

Seriously, the man's a freakin' beast. He is hands down one of the fastes, most fluid guitar players.

He's also performed with: Hardline, Bad English, Santana, Paul Rodgers, HSAS, and Soul SirkUS.

Check this out:

When he was FOURTEEN years old, he was asked by Carlos Santana to join Santana and Eric Clapton to join Derek and the Dominos.

Sorry, guys. That blows Slash, Brian May, Phil Collen, Kirk Kammet, and so forth out of the damn water, lol.

So he was a noteable 14 year old guitarist, impressive.

Jimi Hendrix was the untouchable best ever by the time he died, just over mid-twenties. Wrap your head around that.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 07:41 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Re: Who is the best guitarist of all time??

Originally posted by undertaker619
ok whos every1's fav guitarist/ 's of al time???

Carlós Santana.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 08:44 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkRaven
Dark Witch

Toni Iomi

Old Post Nov 30th, 2006 04:23 AM
DarkRaven is currently offline Click here to Send DarkRaven a Private Message Find more posts by DarkRaven Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Funkadelic

Eddie Hazel

It's an image worth pondering for a moment. Maybe, when you cut past the instrumental and songwriting virtuosity, the funny voices and characters, what is left is a man alone in his recording studio for days at a time.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 11:53 AM
Funkadelic is currently offline Click here to Send Funkadelic a Private Message Find more posts by Funkadelic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

Have you heard of Stanley Jordan? He's the best tapping player i know.I find his playing kinda boring but it's sometimes fun to watch. Check him out.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 01:21 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Toad

jimmy hendrix, tim mahoney, robert johnson, andré olbrich, carlos santana, eric clapton, jimmy page, and brad nowell are some of my favs.

Waiting for the beginning.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 01:41 PM
Mr. Toad is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Toad a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Toad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
So he was a noteable 14 year old guitarist, impressive.

I think "noteable" and "impressive" don't begin to describe his talent, but I know how you are, Alpha, so I'll take what I can get. stick out tongue

quote:
Jimi Hendrix was the untouchable best ever by the time he died, just over mid-twenties. Wrap your head around that.

Hendrix was an innovator and changed the musical world as we know it. I'm arguing that Schon was - again, I must use this irksome word - a technical beast. I'm not comparing the two of them, still, it doesn't detract from Schon's brilliance.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 05:17 PM
Gideon is currently offline Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr.Biscuits

Hendrix is the best.
Jimmy page is somewhere in the top,have him right in back of Hendrix.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 05:59 PM
Mr.Biscuits is currently offline Click here to Send Mr.Biscuits a Private Message Find more posts by Mr.Biscuits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Gideon
I think "noteable" and "impressive" don't begin to describe his talent, but I know how you are, Alpha, so I'll take what I can get. stick out tongue

Hendrix was an innovator and changed the musical world as we know it. I'm arguing that Schon was - again, I must use this irksome word - a technical beast. I'm not comparing the two of them, still, it doesn't detract from Schon's brilliance.

I'm not detracting from it, I'm just not overhyping it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 06:28 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Apollo Cloud
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, you are actually. Having the kind of ability to be realised and respected by such legends like Santana and Eric Clapton (to such a degree that they both asked him to join their band respective bands, and view hims as a sort of equal really) speaks heavily for how gifted he was.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 07:33 PM
Apollo Cloud is currently offline Click here to Send Apollo Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Apollo Cloud Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Did I not just say it was impressive?

I'm not saying Schon isn't technically talented. I found it impressive, especially at such a young age, you don't hear things like that often, but you're forgetting something; It's entirely possible they were shocked at the fact that he possessed that talent at 14. If you put the talent he had at 14 into a 30 year old man, back then, they wouldn't have given him a second look, I'm willing to bet.

Having great talent FOR AN AGE does not translate to great talent overall. Jimi Hendrix was doing things in his early 20s that Clapton and Townshend (Two guitarists revered as the world's best at the time.) were in awe of because he was better than them. Clapton and Santana were just impressed that Schon was good for his age. Go on YouTube, there are untold amounts of videos of early teen shredders who can play things that appear to be amazing, but aren't. It just stands out more cos they're young.

Gideon is rating him highly NOW because he WAS brilliant for his age...at 14, and that's just silly. It's not relevant to now. He's not great now because he was good at 14. It doesn't work like that.

When Maurice Greene is old and grey, you won't say he's still one of the fastest runners on Earth because he was at some point.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Apr 5th, 2007 at 08:49 PM

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 08:46 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually, I'm rating him highly "now" because Neal Schon is still a technical beast, and I can provide dozens and dozens of videos from Youtube to prove it. In fact, I prefer his guitar licks now much better than the '70s and '80s days where Steve Perry (skilled vocalist he may be) put Schon in a creative stranglehold as far as his rock taste is concerned.

Edit: I know for a fact that Sammy Hagar (who is a guitarist himself) says that Neal can play "as good as anybody", Brian May refers to Neal as a "guitar god" and a "guitar extraordinare" on his website when he visited Journey backstage, and Phil Collen from Def Leppard considers Neal to be a "much, much better" guitarist than he is.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 09:38 PM