KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » EU Noob

EU Noob
Started by: Stealth Agent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stealth Agent
Screen Writer

EU Noob

Im a noob when it comes to Star Wars Expanded Universe but i'd like to get into can some please tel me where to start. With what comic or what book or with what?

Old Post Mar 7th, 2005 10:52 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Agent a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Agent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

For the Clone Wars:
There are many books that follow a certain timeline, and in one of the books you can look at the beginning and it will show the first Clone Wars book that was released, I think it is Shatterpoint. Also the DVD for the first season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars micro-series comes out on March 22nd. For comics, read Star Wars Republic issues 50-73 (the current one) Then read Star Wars Obsession, which is a mini series that leads up to ROTS. They have 3 issues out so far.

After that, you might want to read some of the Thrawn books by Timothy Zahn. Then move on to the NJO (New Jedi Order) series, which takes place roughly twenty years after A New Hope.

Hope that helps.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Mar 8th, 2005 02:51 AM
Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

If you want to start at the beginning, read the books/comics that deal with the creation of the Sith and the Jedi...

Old Post Mar 8th, 2005 05:09 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Exactly.....
It all depends on your personal tastes:
Would you like to learn more about the Clone Wars? How about the Sith Wars? The ancient Jedi? What happened to the OT Character? About them before the OT? etc......

Old Post Mar 8th, 2005 08:18 PM
Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Agent
Screen Writer

It all sounds cool but i really want to know the sith wars and clone wars

Old Post Mar 8th, 2005 09:16 PM
Click here to Send Stealth Agent a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Agent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Well then, good luck in trying to find some ten year old Tales of the Jedi/Sith comics......stick out tongue

For Clone Wars, follow SnakeEyes' suggestions above.....wink

Old Post Mar 8th, 2005 09:21 PM
Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Agent
Screen Writer

cool thanks

Old Post Mar 10th, 2005 11:25 PM
MistaMandalore

If you're into video games pick up KOTOR. It takes place 4,000 or so years before the movies and lets you in on allot of the ideals behind the Sith and Jedi philosophies.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2005 02:32 PM
Click here to Send MistaMandalore a Private Message Find more posts by MistaMandalore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Games to pick up:
KotOR, (an RPG); KotOR II: The Sith Lords, (another RPG); Republic Commando, (a first-person shooter); The Clone Wars, (third-person action-adventure game); Star Wars: Battlefront, (first/third-person shooter game)....and last but definitely not least, SUPER The Empire Strikes Back.....stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 14th, 2005 07:47 PM
Stealth Agent
Screen Writer

Alright i went to borders looking for what started after Rotj. i got really confused there were alot of books with differenet authors i didnt know how many alternate timelines there were or who was grouped together.
i picked up Jedi Search by kevin J. Anderson. Also I have Star Wars The glove of Darth Vader by paul Davids and hollace davids.. Also out of interest i picked up Star Wars labryinth of evil

Can anyone help or advise me.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2005 11:50 PM
Stealth Agent
Screen Writer

?

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2005 06:01 PM
The Rover

"The Glove of Darth Vader" isn't very good, and isn't considered real "EU-canon". wink
Books to pick up> For Clone Wars: Republic Commando: Hard Contact; Jedi Trial; Yoda Rendevouz (or something like that :confusedsmile; Labyrinth of Evil is supposed to be good, which you picked up, and it leads into Ep. III; get some of the Republic Comics as well. wink
For OT Time: The Han Solo series by Brian Daley, and the one by A.C. Crispin; definitely Shadows of the Empire, which is set in-between ANH and ESB. wink
Others there are, yet those are usually best....wink

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2005 12:33 AM
Stealth Agent
Screen Writer

alright well i was looking for what leads after the OT trilogy, is jedi Search where I should start

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2005 02:03 PM
The Rover

No...too far ahead.....that's seven years after RotJ....wink
Start with Truce at Bakura.....wink

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 03:32 AM
mephistodesigns
Hate has made me powerful

In most of the books, there should be a timeline somewhere, either before the story begins or in the back. That will list the years the book take place in relation to the films.

My reccommendations:
Pre PT: Tales of the Jedi vol 1-6. May be available through darkhorse.com (the comic company which produces them, type Tales of the Jedi into their search box). I work in a comic shop, and these were recently made available again so get them quick, they're really good.

Followed by "Jedi vs Sith" from Dark Horse which introduces Darth Bane, the sith who's name was acutally Darth. The tales tells of how he forces the sith into the "only two are there" rule.

Then I reccomend "Jango Fett Open Seasons" from Dark Horse which explains Fett's back story, tells of the end of the Mandalorians, and how Jango becomes the clone army model.

Then I'd read the novel (I forget the title, somebody help me out) by Greg Bear that takes place between episodes I and II. Its about Anakin's training, and how he talks to Qui-gon's ghost and no one believes him. It also shows an early brush with the Dark Side.

Then the Clone Wars novels, these have a time line in them. I personally reccommend, in this order since they lead into the film well: Jedi Trial (Anakin's knighthood and how he earns it), Dark Rendezvous (Yoda tries to bring Dooku back to the light), and Labrynth of Evil (Anakin and Obi-wan try to find Darth Sidious, great book, the last third leads directly into ROTS, like a cut away from the opening scene).

Also the Clone Wars series from Dark Horse which goes by the name of Star Wars Republic. But you can get them as Clone Wars Volume 1-5 (collected editions) to get up to speed faster and cheaper than buying individual issues which can get costly. That series is hot.

Then Shadows of the Empire (novel) which is between ESB and ROTJ. Great great great book.

Then Truce at Bakurra (novel) which takes place immediately after ROTJ.

Followed by Courtship of Princess Leia (novel) about her marriage to Han.

Then the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

Then the Jedi Search trilogy you have the first book for. Not the best read, but useful since its how Luke restarts the Jedi.

Then I'd skip ALL the other crap until the the Hand of Thrawn duology which takes place right before the NJO and features Luke's marriage.

Then the WHOLE NJO since it features Han and Leia's kids acutally being cool (reasonably), some interesting bit with Chewie (I don't want to be specific if you haven't heard what he does), and just a whole lotta other cool stuff.

And that will bring you up to date.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 04:13 AM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Batman316
The True Batman

The Timothy Zahn trilogy "Heir to the Empire" etc were the first to be released and imo by far the best quality. Even now after all these years I go back and re-read them.

If I had it to do over again I would still start with the Zahn trilogy.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 06:19 AM
Click here to Send Batman316 a Private Message Find more posts by Batman316 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

Yeah, those books really are the cream of the EU crop. I've really been suprised with the quality of some of the Clone Wars novels and comics lately. Seems like Lucasfilm is really watching them more nowadays and not just letting anybody with a literary agent take a crap on Star Wars. It only took 'em, what?, like ten years to realize the reason the Zahn books sold so well was that they were actually well written!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 07:22 AM
Click here to Send mephistodesigns a Private Message Find more posts by mephistodesigns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

I suggest Splinter of the Mind's Eye if you want a good laugh.

Last edited by LanceWindu on Mar 25th, 2005 at 07:33 AM

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 07:28 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mephistodesigns

Splinter of the Mind's Eye. And yeah...really not remotely close to where everything went with the Saga...good call Lance!

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 07:32 AM
LanceWindu

Edited...for some reason I was thinking of Splinter of the Mind's Eye and Spector of the Past at the same time...laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 07:34 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote