KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Foreign Cinema » Tae Guk Gi - The brotherhood of War

Tae Guk Gi - The brotherhood of War
Started by: Cinemaddiction

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"Tae Guk Gi" (The Brotherhood of War)

I know that Thoma5 had made mention of this movie in a SPR thread a couple of months back. "Brotherhood" was released on DVD here in the states about a week and a half ago.

"Taegukgi" is the story of two brothers sent off to fight in the Korean War, Jin-Seok and Jin-Tae. Jin Tae becomes a decorated war hero, motivated to do his best for his country, as well as use his performances as a means to get his brother off of the warfield. The two are eventually seperated, and Jin-Tae believes his brother to be dead, and he ultimately sides with North Korea, after a string of personal tragedy befalls him, as well as enduring the mental corruption that comes with war. It encompasses the war at home, the wars within ones self, and the essence of the struggles of a country divided by politics.

The films end is worth the rental cost, and is the peak of the emotional mountain that these brothers embarked upon, putting all their differences aside. It's a beautiful film, and while it's more or less the Korean "Saving Private Ryan", there is a lot to set the two apart, considering the deeper personal connection I found in "Brotherhood".

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Feb 23rd, 2005 at 08:01 PM

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2005 07:59 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thoma5

I juz saw the new tat the actor which play Jin tae girlfriend commit sucicide last 2 day..

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 12:39 PM
Thoma5 is currently offline Click here to Send Thoma5 a Private Message Find more posts by Thoma5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thoma5

I tink the whole movie is betta den saving private ryan...=)

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 12:39 PM
Thoma5 is currently offline Click here to Send Thoma5 a Private Message Find more posts by Thoma5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I absolutely loved this film, excellent addition to the war/drama genre. Was nice to see Chon Min Sik in the film, who was in Oldboy too. Fab.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2005 05:38 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Tae Guk Gi - The brotherhood of War

Tae Guk Gi - made in Korea

Korea 1950 - War breaks out between communist North Korea and South Korea. Two brothers from the south end up being drafetd into the army and as the eldest makes up a commitment to do all he can to have his younger sibling be sent home unharmed and alive, War begins to transform him into a killing machine. As the spoils of war progress , the brothers start to change and they end up having to battle their inner conflicts.

(please log in to view the image)

As both parties of soldiers from south and north korea , are all very young and drafted quickly into the army, the movie displays a lot of hand to hand combat with action at plenty from their bayonets. It gets gory in some parts.

Its a story of two brothers scarred by war , with their family thats been decimated by terrorised by both South and North Koreans. The eldest takes revenge on the south koreans by rebuking his medal of honor in exchange of a post in the commie army until he gets the same reputation of a killer he once got in his former ranks.

Blinded by hatred he knows none of his former people and does not recognise his brother until the final moment he decides to turn back on the North Koreans and accomplish his mission - To assure the survival of his younger brother.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Last edited by GCG on Mar 14th, 2005 at 03:51 AM

Old Post Mar 14th, 2005 03:43 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Old Post Mar 14th, 2005 04:46 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've got it on director's cut dvd, excellent film.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2005 01:12 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Psst...

I honestly looked for it .....but only in this section of foreign films. stick out tongue

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Mar 15th, 2005 07:23 AM
GCG is currently offline Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Doesn't matter, you brought the movie back to the forefront where it belongs, and for that, I commend you.

So..*commends GCG* thumb up

Old Post Mar 15th, 2005 07:32 AM
Big_Daddy2
Hidden Leaf Ninja

I rented this earlier from Blockbuster like a week or so ago...very powerful film. The first 20 mins dragged, but that's understandable since we have to see the brothers relationships, via flashback once the old man is notified of his next of kin's findings at the old battlefields.

Wonderfully crafted, and even though the camera work was almost artistically the same as Saving Private Ryan, it was wayyy more gorier...Had me on the edge the entire time. Once the action started it hardly stopped...and this movie is 2 hours and 20 mins in length....It was simply awesome. Easily two thumbs up.

Should've picked this up for $8 in Van City when i had the chance...

"Below courage there's nothing"
"I will never let my comrades die"

Old Post Mar 17th, 2005 04:22 PM
Big_Daddy2 is currently offline Click here to Send Big_Daddy2 a Private Message Find more posts by Big_Daddy2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Big_Daddy2

Wonderfully crafted, and even though the camera work was almost artistically the same as Saving Private Ryan, it was wayyy more gorier.

I like the hand-held camera for war epics, and I know it's cliche, but it just works. Extras on that DVD were a little less than stellar, since they were mostly interviews, but what can ya do...?

Old Post Mar 17th, 2005 05:56 PM
GCG
Red Bull

always works that hand held camera ; recently i noticed the same in FMJ.

dunno if there was a connectiuon, but you know when Jin-Sek and Jin-Tao are talking to other soldiers just after having been drafted and one of the soldiers is surprised that both brothers have been enroled in. He says something along the lines of
" They cant draft both of you ; who will carry on the family name? "

something similar to the reason why Pvt. Ryan should be saved in Spielberg's war Academy Award Winner.

All his 3 brothers have succumbed to war and he was the only one left.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2005 01:46 AM
Big_Daddy2
Hidden Leaf Ninja

In WW2 when brothers enlisted together...they could still fight....just not in the same unit. This prevented them from dying together in case their unit was taken out. Sort of a chance for their kin to return home, at least.

But ya...regarding the family honor, would Jin-Sek and Jin-Tao have been able to contest both of them going to war? Would they have allowed one to stay behind once their problem has been addressed?

"Below courage there's nothing"
"I will never let my comrades die"

Old Post Mar 21st, 2005 08:07 PM
Big_Daddy2 is currently offline Click here to Send Big_Daddy2 a Private Message Find more posts by Big_Daddy2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
luv_danrad*^^*

ive hurd bout it, but dint watch it.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2005 09:43 PM
luv_danrad*^^* is currently offline Click here to Send luv_danrad*^^* a Private Message Find more posts by luv_danrad*^^* Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thoma5

The whole show gt more battle then saving private ryan...

Old Post May 12th, 2005 01:55 AM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

finally got around to buying and seeing this
tremendously good film

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Aug 16th, 2006 11:42 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kryzula
Nihilistic Schizoid

This is one of the best war films I have ever seen, if not the best.

~ Kryzula

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 10:43 AM
Kryzula is currently offline Click here to Send Kryzula a Private Message Find more posts by Kryzula Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote