KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman is the worst character EVER.

Superman is the worst character EVER.
Started by: long pig

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (25): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by brainchild81
I never said he was the worst character ever, but he is the most boring mainstream character. I watch Smallville often and hate when I miss it. I watch all the DCU toons(but T.Titans. It's crap). I just can't seem to tolerate Comic Supes. Gladiator is an arrogant bastard and he's got that "I'm not just better than you, I'm way better than you" attitude. I admit that he's a ripoff or homage depending on how you look @ it. The confidence-based powers thing is interesting also. I've been a fan ever since I saw him manhandle Juggs on the old X-Men show.

comic superman is by no means the most boring mainstream character... remember your including the likes of spidey, the xmen, the jla, the avengers (new and classic)

i think he is a long way off being the most boring...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 19th, 2005 01:45 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Not this again. Spidey's cooler than Supes in almost every way possible. & his books have outsold Supes more often than not. Marvel's been leading the industry for a long time. Spidey is one of the reasons why. Supes exists to make Batman look 1000x cooler by comparison.

Last edited by I-Drop on May 19th, 2005 at 01:59 PM

Old Post May 19th, 2005 01:56 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Not this again. Spidey's cooler than Supes in almost every way possible. & his books have outsold Supes more often than not. Marvel's been leading the industry for a long time. Spidey is one of the reasons why. Supes exists to make Batman look 1000x cooler by comparison.

ok... should i even respond to that? you do know the word "cool" doesnt really mean alot when it comes to comics? imo thats a bit shallow...

and of peters so cool, why is he still poor?

marvel outsells dc cos it has more comics... and spidey appeals to kids alot more than supes does...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 19th, 2005 02:04 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Originally posted by pr1983
ok... should i even respond to that? you do know the word "cool" doesnt really mean alot when it comes to comics? imo thats a bit shallow...

and of peters so cool, why is he still poor?
Come on dude. You're better than that. My intention is not to offend you. This isn't a bash-Spidey thread. It's a bash-Supes thread. It would be great if they paid people money just for being cool though smile

marvel outsells dc cos it has more comics... and spidey appeals to kids alot more than supes does...
spidey appeals to ALL AGES alot more than supes does

Old Post May 19th, 2005 02:16 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mainstream
lighting the way

if superman was a marvel character he'd be cooler...just imagine..

Old Post May 19th, 2005 02:21 PM
Mainstream is currently offline Click here to Send Mainstream a Private Message Find more posts by Mainstream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Come on dude. You're better than that. My intention is not to offend you. This isn't a bash-Spidey thread. It's a bash-Supes thread. It would be great if they paid people money just for being cool though smile

all im saying is that being "cool" is not a prerequisite (sp?) of being a hero... superman is an alien with god like powers, who instead of choosing to conquer the world (which he could have easily done) he decided to protect it... he chose to... he doesnt gain anything from it, hes not moving toward a particular goal, he simply saves those who need to be saved... he abides by earths laws (which shows incredible humility) and actually gave his life to protect earth (against doomsday)... he is constantly filled with self doubt, he literally has the weight of the world on his shoulders... yet he soldiers on...

if you dont like superman thats fine (plenty of people dont), but if there is one comic character in existence who deserves respect its him...

as ive said before, he is one of the few people who batman actually truly respects and to an extent fears... and praise doesnt come higher than from batman...

quote:
spidey appeals to ALL AGES alot more than supes does

wide appeal doesnt always mean good things... look at wolverine...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Last edited by -Pr- on May 19th, 2005 at 02:32 PM

Old Post May 19th, 2005 02:27 PM
I-Drop
Privateer

Wolvies a good character that's been a victim of bad writing. OK I'm supposed to respect Supes because Batman does? We'll then, Batman begged Spidey for help and reached out for a handshake in the 1st crossover. How's that for respect?smile

Last edited by I-Drop on May 19th, 2005 at 02:41 PM

Old Post May 19th, 2005 02:37 PM
mr.smiley

different characters appeal to different people.Bottom line.
It's realy just a matter of opion of who's being written good or bad.

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Old Post May 20th, 2005 06:36 PM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Wolvies a good character that's been a victim of bad writing. OK I'm supposed to respect Supes because Batman does? We'll then, Batman begged Spidey for help and reached out for a handshake in the 1st crossover. How's that for respect?smile

wolverine lost his appeal years ago... he claims to have this great moral code when he's been trying to bag jean for years, and the whole amnesia thing is old...

im talking about respect in that superman has done a hell of alot for comics... i doubt dc would be alive today without him and batman... respect due to his character, his beliefs and his willingness to help people purely for the fact that they need saving... not many heroes who do that anymore...

and crossovers are mostly bullshit, you know that...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 20th, 2005 07:51 PM
I-Drop
Privateer

True. But Spidey has the respect of Cap. To me his respect is worth far more than Batman's because deep down, Cap's a good person and Batman's not. Batman is interesting as hell, but he's also a prick to his teammates. I'll save my respect for the guys who created Supes. Without them we'd have no Smallville show. Cap has pretty much all of Supermans good points and pretty much none of his bad ones.
wolverine lost his appeal years ago... he claims to have this great moral code when he's been trying to bag jean for years, and the whole amnesia thing is old...
I've never heard Wolvie say "I've got a great moral code". He does though. He loves Jean. He can't help it. He's human. Trying to bag her isn't that bad. Now if he puts a claw to her head and rapes her, now that's different.

Last edited by I-Drop on May 21st, 2005 at 12:48 AM

Old Post May 21st, 2005 12:38 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

True. But Spidey has the respect of Cap. To me his respect is worth far more than Batman's because deep down, Cap's a good person and Batman's not. Batman is interesting as hell, but he's also a prick to his teammates. I'll save my respect for the guys who created Supes. Without them we'd have no Smallville show. Cap has pretty much all of Supermans good points and pretty much none of his bad ones.

cap? really? in what way?

quote:
I've never heard Wolvie say "I've got a great moral code". He does though. He loves Jean. He can't help it. He's human. Trying to bag her isn't that bad. Now if he puts a claw to her head and rapes her, now that's different.

but its been ongoing... to be honest i never found logan that interesting (for many reasons), but hes gone from chasing jean to chasing mj in marvel knights... the guy needs to learn to control himself... and when mj shot him down he went and stabbed spidey just because spidey told him to piss off away from mj... imagine if cyclops had done that...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 21st, 2005 02:31 AM
I-Drop
Privateer

Cap is a big time boyscout, but he's not ridiculous like Supes is w/all that power(vibrating his face = LAME). He's quite possibly the greatest leader in comics. Wolverine is an a$$hole, but he's interesting. His interactions w/Cyclops are funny to me. Even in the movies.
W:Your bike's outta gas *tosses Slim the keys*
C:Then fill 'er up! *tosses the keys right back*

Last edited by I-Drop on May 29th, 2005 at 07:09 PM

Old Post May 29th, 2005 07:03 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Cap is a big time boyscout, but he's not ridiculous like Supes is w/all that power(vibrating his face = LAME). He's quite possibly the greatest leader in comics. Wolverine is an a$$hole, but he's interesting. His interactions w/Cyclops are funny to me. Even in the movies.
W:Your bike's outta gas *tosses Slim the keys*
C:Then fill 'er up! *tosses the keys right back*

see, i don't like cap, but i don't go into threads b!tching about how "lame" i think he is, or how much i hate his ott patriotism...

vibrating the face... sure its not great... but is it any worse than wolverine surviving nukes, or beating namor, or hurting surfer? or how spidey writers just churn out symbiotes, or how x-men uses an atrocious amount of characters (half of which are shit), the fact that the gl writers copped out making hal and parallax completely seperate beings... or how batman somehow beats enemies he shouldn't... and what about (again) captain americas patriotism... example, and i quote... *cap points to A on head* "what do you think this A stands for? France?"...

and you think logan is interesting, which is cool, yet i don't... everybody has different tastes...

"lame" is open to interpretation...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Last edited by -Pr- on May 30th, 2005 at 10:28 AM

Old Post May 30th, 2005 10:25 AM
I-Drop
Privateer

That stuff with the heroes you mention is occasional bad writing. No shame on the character. That glasses thing is always w/Supes. It's a part of him. Patriotism has been wrongfully associated with d**kheads like Bush which causes many to dislike it. True patriotism is admirable. Some guy whose name I can't remember said something like. "A true patriot supports his country always and his government when they deserve it." I used to dislike Cap when I was little because my dad didn't like him. As I got older and saw more of his shield throwin', Nazi punchin' exploits I realized how cool he was. He was cool as hell in Secret Wars back in the day. Then again so was everybody.....except Wolvie. He was an a$$hole. Never boring though. My dad still doesn't like Cap. I wasn't b***hin' about Supes. You have read the name of the thread right? Did you expect to see nothing but good things about Supes here? My intention is to state why I don't like Supes, not to offend his fans. The next time you imply that I'm b***hing, I'll punish you with even more stuff about me and my father's differences in opinion that you don't really care aboutsmile And the next time you dis Cap I'm gonna find out who you are and force you to wear buccaneer boots. Just like Capsmile

Last edited by I-Drop on May 31st, 2005 at 07:21 AM

Old Post May 31st, 2005 07:11 AM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

I’m no Superman expert, I’m not big fan or a detractor, but this is just my two cents. I’m trying to be balanced and I’m open to rebuttals from the more knowledgeable Superman experts. (I have no idea how I stumbled upon this Superman forum but it was interesting to read so…)

As a cultural icon Superman is unsurpassed, and he isn’t the worst character ever, (there are tonnes of crappier characters. Matter-Eater Lad wtf is that?) but disregarding any bad writing a character may suffer and purely in terms of core character he’s mediocre at best. His appeal is understandable in that he is the uber-hero. He’s the cookie-cutter archetypal hero, a product of the Depression that people could look up to when there was nothing around to look up to. He’s good and decent and kind etc. Everybody in Metropolis loves him (except the criminals of course). Translate that to a modern era he’s a bit outdated and he’s just a bit bland. He was created in a post-world war black-and white world, and thus doesn’t translate that well nowadays amongst the shades of grey.

It’s also been argued that he has no definitive personality and I for the most part have to agree. For a lot of characters it would be difficult to say they have no distinctive personality, (Batman, Spider-Man, F4, Flash and most of the X-Men particularly the second genesis ones are characterised pretty well). That’s not to say he has to brood all day and night in a cave or have berserker rages to have a personality. Opinionatively characters with intrinsic flaws and frailties are infinitely more interesting than those that are simply weakened by glowing green rocks. In the end he’s just too perfect to be really interesting. These days people look more to characters they can relate to in film, TV, books then characters they can merely look up to. How can one relate to someone whose practically perfect?

There’s nothing wrong with morals, nobility, regard for human life etc. However a character can have those traits and still be interesting and involving. The problem with Superman stems from the fact that those are his only personality traits – I think it’s been mentioned in this thread as his “vanilla personality”. Flaws make nobility seem all the more greater. Wolverine (just as an example) is a dichotomy wherein he has so many flaws, he’s surly, he’s a loner, he’ll kill and yet at his core he has a noble soul.

There are a lot of flaws in the design of Superman as a character (but he was one of the earliest so the creators didn’t have much to go off). The glasses as his only costume (even if he can’t be photographed [Smallville High Grad Ceremony: Sign my yearbook? Sure which one’s you. Oh I’m the blurry one. Lol]) can only lead me to believe that all of Metropolis is myopic and tone-death (and Lois is supposed to be an investigative journalist?). In terms of powers, it’s not so much that he has too many, it’s that he has so many random powers mishmashed together with no logical link. There are heroes with many multiple powers that link in some way and make them more realistic. Everything inexplicable in Superman is simply attributed to him being from Krypton which I suppose is fair enough considering everything inexplicable in X-Men is because they’re mutants and everything in say Thor is because he’s an Asgardian god.

The reason that Smallville appeals to those that Superman the comic may not is that it is a more (old-school) Marvel approach to Superman. Clark’s full of flaws that have nothing to do with Kryptonite. He's made much more easy to relate to for most people.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 01:41 PM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Nice post.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 08:50 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zod4Life
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Superman is the worst character EVER.

Originally posted by long pig
No personality + way too many super powers + horrid writing + silly powers i.e speed reading + he has only two weaknesses + stupid alter ego = a horrible character.
Superman comics should be discontinued...i wouldnt wipe my ass with his comics.
give me one reason why Superman is an interesting character?
The guy is worthless....
if you read him there is something seriously wrong with you.

Without Superman none of the heroes would have ever existed and he doesn't have to many superpowers.He's been the best for the past 67 years and he'll still be the best in the upcoming years and far into the future.He has a great personality but personally,I don't think that you've read any of his comics.You just took a look at him and thought that he was a stupid character.I learned a long time ago that you can't judge something before you try it.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2005 10:31 PM
Zod4Life is currently offline Click here to Send Zod4Life a Private Message Find more posts by Zod4Life Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
I’m no Superman expert, I’m not big fan or a detractor, but this is just my two cents. I’m trying to be balanced and I’m open to rebuttals from the more knowledgeable Superman experts. (I have no idea how I stumbled upon this Superman forum but it was interesting to read so…)

As a cultural icon Superman is unsurpassed, and he isn’t the worst character ever, (there are tonnes of crappier characters. Matter-Eater Lad wtf is that?) but disregarding any bad writing a character may suffer and purely in terms of core character he’s mediocre at best. His appeal is understandable in that he is the uber-hero. He’s the cookie-cutter archetypal hero, a product of the Depression that people could look up to when there was nothing around to look up to. He’s good and decent and kind etc. Everybody in Metropolis loves him (except the criminals of course). Translate that to a modern era he’s a bit outdated and he’s just a bit bland. He was created in a post-world war black-and white world, and thus doesn’t translate that well nowadays amongst the shades of grey.

It’s also been argued that he has no definitive personality and I for the most part have to agree. For a lot of characters it would be difficult to say they have no distinctive personality, (Batman, Spider-Man, F4, Flash and most of the X-Men particularly the second genesis ones are characterised pretty well). That’s not to say he has to brood all day and night in a cave or have berserker rages to have a personality. Opinionatively characters with intrinsic flaws and frailties are infinitely more interesting than those that are simply weakened by glowing green rocks. In the end he’s just too perfect to be really interesting. These days people look more to characters they can relate to in film, TV, books then characters they can merely look up to. How can one relate to someone whose practically perfect?

There’s nothing wrong with morals, nobility, regard for human life etc. However a character can have those traits and still be interesting and involving. The problem with Superman stems from the fact that those are his only personality traits – I think it’s been mentioned in this thread as his “vanilla personality”. Flaws make nobility seem all the more greater. Wolverine (just as an example) is a dichotomy wherein he has so many flaws, he’s surly, he’s a loner, he’ll kill and yet at his core he has a noble soul.

There are a lot of flaws in the design of Superman as a character (but he was one of the earliest so the creators didn’t have much to go off). The glasses as his only costume (even if he can’t be photographed [Smallville High Grad Ceremony: Sign my yearbook? Sure which one’s you. Oh I’m the blurry one. Lol]) can only lead me to believe that all of Metropolis is myopic and tone-death (and Lois is supposed to be an investigative journalist?). In terms of powers, it’s not so much that he has too many, it’s that he has so many random powers mishmashed together with no logical link. There are heroes with many multiple powers that link in some way and make them more realistic. Everything inexplicable in Superman is simply attributed to him being from Krypton which I suppose is fair enough considering everything inexplicable in X-Men is because they’re mutants and everything in say Thor is because he’s an Asgardian god.

The reason that Smallville appeals to those that Superman the comic may not is that it is a more (old-school) Marvel approach to Superman. Clark’s full of flaws that have nothing to do with Kryptonite. He's made much more easy to relate to for most people.
Good post.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 08:02 AM
Bara

ok i m hoby superman and batman ...

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 03:28 PM
Bara is currently offline Click here to Send Bara a Private Message Find more posts by Bara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

Supes is the King so suck my Whirly Wand!

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Jun 25th, 2005 03:30 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote