KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Chappell Corby

Chappell Corby
Started by: beach_baby_279

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
For those who don't know this is a really big case in Australia right now. The girl in question went to Bali, drugs where discovered in her bags, about 4kg of cannabis, and she was arrested and for a time was facing the death penalty before the Bali legal system, in agreement with our government made it so she would only be facing a life sentence (20 years or more).

However she claims she didn't do it, and there is a fare bit of evidence it could have be placed in her bag as part of a bigger drug smuggling ring that has recently come to light (popular strategy for the drug lords not to risk their own lives smuggling them, just plant them on some ignorant traveller). The problem a lot of people have is that despite reasonable doubt from the beginning the Balinese courts showed little interest in this and a lot of people claim just wanted a conviction, and ignored this other evidence.

As it is she has been found guilty today, and is going to serve 20 years in an Indonesian jail. Personally I don't know whether she is guilty or innocent, but I do think death, or 20 years is somewhat harsh for a first time offender, with a small amount of a non "hard" drug. A lot of people have also drawn parallels with the Bali bombings pointing out how the ring leader and a know terrorist is looking at 3 years (less now) while a drug conviction carries such a harsh penalty.

finally about 30 posts later someone is nice enough to clue us ignorant people into the story. thanks. The situation sounds hairy. It is hard to argue when the drugs were found on her person. Death is of course extreme. twenty years sounds about right. Unless there is iron clad evidence saying she is innocent she has to be reprimanded, but it sounds like she is more or less being portrayed as an example.

Old Post May 29th, 2005 04:26 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

and the australian government will make a deal and get her to spend the rest of her sentence in an australian prison ...... its going to happen! yes

Made by the wonderful Barker .. Thanks Darling

Old Post May 29th, 2005 04:28 AM
spidergrl is currently offline Click here to Send spidergrl a Private Message Find more posts by spidergrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Originally posted by spidergrl
you miss-understood me. I believe on everything that she's innocent.

Im saying, thats how their courts work. they find someone breaking the law then they're guilty, end of story. They don't care about evidence or jack all!

so, you have absolutely nothing to base yourself on? She's innocent because of what then?

Yes, the court there is hard when it comes to drugs, but does that mean they don't investigate? Do you have any cold hard facts about this or do you just say it?

Old Post May 29th, 2005 07:15 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imaginary
blinded

I think what Hayley means, Yerss, is "innocent until proven guilty."

Old Post May 29th, 2005 10:38 PM
Imaginary is currently offline Click here to Send Imaginary a Private Message Find more posts by Imaginary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
finally about 30 posts later someone is nice enough to clue us ignorant people into the story. thanks. The situation sounds hairy. It is hard to argue when the drugs were found on her person. Death is of course extreme. twenty years sounds about right. Unless there is iron clad evidence saying she is innocent she has to be reprimanded, but it sounds like she is more or less being portrayed as an example.

death is totally normal in the indonesian legal system. the drugs being planted there is also probable too.

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post May 29th, 2005 10:49 PM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Originally posted by Imaginary
I think what Hayley means, Yerss, is "innocent until proven guilty."

gotcha

Old Post May 29th, 2005 10:53 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imaginary
blinded

wink

Old Post May 29th, 2005 10:58 PM
Imaginary is currently offline Click here to Send Imaginary a Private Message Find more posts by Imaginary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

Originally posted by yerssot
so, you have absolutely nothing to base yourself on? She's innocent because of what then?

Yes, the court there is hard when it comes to drugs, but does that mean they don't investigate? Do you have any cold hard facts about this or do you just say it?

[ Edited for the fact of not wanting shit in return happy have a nice day ]

Last edited by spidergrl on May 30th, 2005 at 04:57 AM

Old Post May 30th, 2005 04:54 AM
spidergrl is currently offline Click here to Send spidergrl a Private Message Find more posts by spidergrl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imaginary
blinded

Eeeep messed

Old Post May 30th, 2005 04:57 AM
Captive
yourz truly

My family and i were talking about this the other day and it turned into a bit of a debate.

Is it true she hesitated before opening the boogie board bag, and instead opened the front first?

Ahh well, the only person who knows this is Chappelle...

Join the Darkside!

"You can not love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself."

[[myspace.com/dlshs1]]

Last edited by Captive on May 30th, 2005 at 09:13 AM

Old Post May 30th, 2005 08:59 AM
Captive is currently offline Click here to Send Captive a Private Message Find more posts by Captive Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

yes

Old Post May 30th, 2005 09:08 AM
Clovie

it is the same as it was with Bridget Jones eek!

Originally posted by spidergrl
[ Edited for the fact of not wanting shit in return happy have a nice day ]
you're scared of him? huh

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post May 30th, 2005 09:16 AM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidergrl
Living

Originally posted by Clovie
it is the same as it was with Bridget Jones eek!

you're scared of him? huh

yes the same! happy

he wishes roll eyes (sarcastic) I actually started swearing and Trish told me that it would get pee brain worked up ....... so I edited smart

Old Post May 31st, 2005 05:10 AM
Imaginary
blinded

I didn't say that it would get him worked up huh It just gives me the creeps when two people I like disagree messed

Old Post May 31st, 2005 09:38 AM
Clovie

so mark darcy will coma and take her out of the prison happy

swearing is never good erm

and i don't understand your point, Trish What the f**k?

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post May 31st, 2005 09:44 AM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
happyjackslade

I was talking to a friend about Cappell Corby just yesterday.
He told me that he and his friend went to Bali some time back.
The same guy that found the drugs in Chappells bag was on duty.One of my friend put his valuables"video camera and some other stuff on the xray machine to be scanned.Now i use to work at the the airport and use to do this type of work so i know whats going on here.
They got to the end of the scanner grabbed their stuff and walked off.They stoped cause they remembered they forgot the camera.They went up one of the guys working at the machine,yes the same guy who found the drugs in Cappells bag.They asked if this guy had seen the camera.Reply was no.my mate stood there dumb founded for a sec then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a $100 not and handed it to the guy.He took the money.They asked again.Did you see the camer,He replied i think so.The camera was worth about $1300.Reached into his pocket and gave the same guy another $100.Asked again,Did you see anything?The guy replied,I may have.Into the pocket he went and handed over another $100 and the guy reached under the table and handed him the camera.My friends dumbfounded at what just occurred just grabbed the camera and left the airport not wanting to have anything more to do with this guy.I asked why they didnt complain to someone?They replied he could just as easy have planted something on us and we just wanted out of there.They just thought the guy was going to point them in the right direction,not pull it out and handed it to them.

Old Post May 31st, 2005 12:05 PM
happyjackslade is currently offline Click here to Send happyjackslade a Private Message Find more posts by happyjackslade Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

I fail to see how you can get riled up about something as silly as this convo, but if you feel the need to swear, I'm not stopping you

everyone is entitled to their opinion, you believe she's innocent ... can you still tell me why though?
I think that the court there, certainly if there is international press, is not that corrupt as some try to show it as

Old Post May 31st, 2005 06:44 PM