KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Thor Vs. Magneto

Thor Vs. Magneto
Started by: Beyonder

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JWangSDC

Then we're gonna have to call Thor a favorite over Galactus because in all their showings...Thor comes up with some kind of victory. Moreover we only know Galactus can do what he has done in comic book showings...bear with me

There's a difference between characters like Captain America and Wolverine who you have to go by their showings. Galacuts is different, he's this "omnipotent" (used very loosely) force....the showings you see ARE THE EXCEPTIONS. Did he eat planet earth? No he never got to...does that mean he's 0-1 for consuming planets which he tries to consume...I think not.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by demigawd
Wait, wait, wait. Did you just say that Galactus' showings in comics are his exceptions? Holy bejesus! You do realize that Galactus is a comic book character, right? His showings in comics are his ONLY showings. They're not the exception, they're not the rule, they're EVERYTHING. There's no way you can conclude that Galactus does AWE-INSPIRING things off-panel that put his on-panel self to shame.

Has Galactus eaten lots of planet that we don't know about? Yeah. But that's what he's supposed to do - that wouldn't improve my view of him in the least. And if he somehow beat Arishem at some point off-panel, you can be sure as heck that we'd hear about it. Just like Odin saying that he repelled Galactus off-panel long ago.

So, YES, you CLEARLY have to go by showings. To suggest that you have to also go by unnamed battles that never appeared in comic books that no one has ever mentioned anywhere is ridiculousness of the highest order. You could work at a McDonald's stockroom with all the straw you're grasping at with that reasoning.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 07:46 PM
JWangSDC is currently offline Click here to Send JWangSDC a Private Message Find more posts by JWangSDC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beyonder

Originally posted by Xplosive
Galactus being defeated by Thor, but you still know that Galactus is much, much more pwoerful being than Thor, and I think you know that. No comics, just by your thinking their pwoer level, it's no contest between Thor and Galactus.

Yup. And it took BRB and Thor plus Power Pack to take down Kurse. Kurse was wrecking Thor and BRB. In another encounter, Thor needed the Amulet Of Thousand Suns to momentarily put Kurse down.

Tyrant, who's still below Galactus, punked Beta Ray Bill, Gladiator, Surfer, Jack Of Hearts, and Terrax at the same time. Whether he stalemated or beat Thanos, we both know Thanos occasionally stomps on Thor.

Thor's also the same guy who has trouble with Juggernaut.

That same godblast and several variations of it had no effect on a Celestial. That's a BIG difference.

Yeah, the same godblast that didn't effect Juggernaut.

Originally posted by Molecule man
What are you trying to proof, the fact is that Galactus needs to consume planets just to survive. His is like one of the most overrated cosmic beings in MU

Sort of like Phoenix needing to consume a sun. Boy she's weak. Not as overrated as how you sometimes portray Molecule Man.

Last edited by Beyonder on Apr 19th, 2005 at 07:56 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 07:53 PM
Beyonder is currently offline Click here to Send Beyonder a Private Message Find more posts by Beyonder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beyonder

[QUOTE=3646541]Originally posted by demigawd
quote:

Not only that, but Galactus STILL couldn't beat Tyrant. They were fighting to a draw (a FULL POWERED Galactus and a REDUCED POWER Tyrant), when Galactus activated his world ship to trap and contain Tyrant and drain his powers off. Tyrant reversed it, taking control of G's own ship and used it to drain Galactus dry instead, knocking G out in the process.

So you've proven Tyrant beat Galactus by draining Galactus' energies? Please, Tyrant was preping for eons to take down Galactus. Him taking control of Galactus' ship shouldn't be a surprise. Deviants have penetrated the Celestial ship to copy the key and release the Dreaming Celestial. Tyrant taking control of Galactus' ship isn't much of a feat. He had eons to prep; Galactus wasn't even preping anything.

quote:

Keep in mind that this is the same Tyrant, who a couple of issues before, was unable to put down Thanos.

Galactus = Skyfather.

Guess what, that's the same Thanos who stomps on Thor, Surfer, Drax, Thing, and Hulk regularly. Even before his power ups, Thanos took on Thor and Thing, kicking their butts. Odin had to bring Gungnir into battle against Thanos.

And guess what, Beyonder couldn't put Thanos down either. And this Beyonder is the cube being version.

As for Tyrant, he stomped Surfer, Beta Ray Bill, Gladiator, Terrax, and Jack of Heart. Can Thor do that?

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 08:05 PM
Beyonder is currently offline Click here to Send Beyonder a Private Message Find more posts by Beyonder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
demigawd
Board Scientist

Originally posted by Beyonder
One encounter he was, the other one Phoenix didn't do sh!t. Absorbing her would mean the end of the universe as destroying Galactus would; that's why Galactus didn't continue consuming her.

When did this encounter happen? The only two times i remember them clashing was the time I mentioned, and a What If. Are you referring to the What If?

quote:

High end skyfather? :laughs: The highest there is is Odin or Rune Thor. 2nd version of Tyrant is equal to or more powerful than Odin.

My point is that Galactus hasn't shown any feats that Odin hasn't been shown to match, much less the Celestials. Odin was able to repel Galactus and stop him from invading Asgard. Odin was powerless against the Celestials. It took Gaea to make a deal with them to save their hides. That also speaks for scale.

quote:

The same guy who couldn't put down Juggernaut with a godblast? The same Thor who has problems with Hulk? Kurse trashed both Thor and Beta Ray Bill.

Hence why I'm saying that Thor is less powerful than Galactus. But being less powerful didn't stop Thor from nearly killing a Galactus who wasn't paying Thor any attention. When the same scenario took place with the Celestial, the Celestial didn't flinch. And Thor tried everything he had....AND had the belt of strength with him. No effect.

It's like this - I could sucker punch two huge dudes. I sucker punch them because I know I can't take them in a straight fight. I knock one of them out, but when I do it to the other one, he just looks at me like, "Why you sucker punch me? Now you gone made my nose itch". I'm less powerful than both of them, but the second guy is a HELL of a lot more fearsome than the first guy.

quote:

Yup, what a feat it is but he couldn't do it against Juggernaut, Hulk, or Kurse? The Wrecker's given Thor trouble.

Yes, yes and yes. Meanwhile, Magneto beat the Hulk without incident. Polaris beat the Wrecker easily in X-factor. And since this is Thor vs. Magneto, I thank you for the evidence.

quote:

roll eyes (sarcastic) Black Panther and Strange have pulled Mephisto out as well. You only need sufficient spells. Warlock was kicking Mephisto's butt outside his realm. What's your point? Meph is weak out of his realm. What Protege beats Meph in hell realm - you'd have something. Galactus beat Meph in his own realm. All you've proven is that Protege beat a weak Meph.

Protege didn't fight Meph. He just casually yanked him out of his realm and had fun with him. If Galactus COULD do that, there'd be no need to fight Mephisto in his realm...he'd just cross his hands, nod his head and Mephisto would be there, kneeling helplessly before him like he did with Protege.

And Galactus didn't beat Mephisto. He made a threat and Mephisto, not knowing if G could do it or not, relented. Hela stalemated Mephisto in his own realm before. So now Galactus has graduated to Hela-level feats. Congrats.

quote:

? So they destroyed "long dead galaxies." Kicking a dead horse when it's down is a feat to you? :laughs:

I think you missed the point of that reference. Odin isn't a murderer, so the writers wouldn't have him portrayed as killing trillions as a side effect of his battle. When they say, "long dead galaxies", they mean uninhabited. Nobody lives there anymore. And last I checked, whether or not people live there has no bearing on its ability or inability to be destroyed by cascading energies. So yes, he destroyed galaxies - meaning destroyed stars and its supported solar systems. The feat is identical, but without the implication that Odin is responsible for the deaths of trillions of people.

quote:

As for shaking multiverse :laughs:, even Thanos with the IG's fight with Eternity, Death, Galactus, Celestials, Choas, Order, etc. didn't "shake the multiverse." I guess this feat of Odin and Seth is above Thanos with the IG's. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Your quote, not mine.

quote:

And you know this for a fact.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Thor is a humanoid. Asgardian physiology is identical to human physiology except hardier. Thor has no molecular self control. He can't regenerate. That's why I wouldn't argue that Magneto can do it to the Surfer - Surfer doesn't have human psysiology. That's why I would argue that Magneto can do it to Thor - Thor DOES have human psysiology, and does NOT have the molecular control necessary to fight it off.

quote:

? So does Surfer, gods, helllords, and Elder Gods. What's your point?

See above explanation. Surfer does NOT have human physiology. Nor do hellord. Some Elder Gods, but they also have fine molecular control over themselves. Thor doesn't fit in any of those categories.

quote:

You mean a godblast? Maybe Magneto can counter thick mist, hurricanes, and tornados Thor throws at Magneto.

Well, maybe not thick mist. Guess Magneto is in trouble now, huh? laughing

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 08:11 PM
demigawd is currently offline Click here to Send demigawd a Private Message Find more posts by demigawd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
demigawd
Board Scientist

Originally posted by kgkg
I was talking about the battle that happened eon's ago. (Tyrant at birth—he was much stronger)

Ah, yes, Galactus was able to best him after an eons-long battle. But it was one of those, "coulda gone either way" fights, and it went the other way in their rematch that I named. Either way, they're shown as being roughly equals in power, and that's not all that impressive.

quote:

Galactus is well cable of massive destruction (already shown he can destroy galaxies)

True. He could beat Thor easily if he unleashed that kind of attack on Thor. I'm not comparing their offensive capabilities here. But comparing their durability, Galactus had a MUCH worse showing than a Celestial.

quote:

Celestial what’s the most impressive the have done? Move planet? Can they destroy galaxies (normal celestial) if so then Thanos still can take it?

Protege was able to mimic part of LT's powers and put down several cosmics at the same time. The Celestial was the only one able to beat him. They've casually tossed planets, destroyed the Destroyer occupied with the combined force of all of Asgard, they've manipulated reality at some of the highest levels, they've CREATED planets and life from nothingness. They matter manipulated Thor completely. One matter manipulated Galactus himself. I mean, the list goes on.

quote:

See Celestial don’t have any bad showing (that I can remember), while galactus has ton (which contradicts with his capabilities)

But you can't have TONS of bad showings and still say it contradicts your capabilities. At some point, even if unintentional, TONS *becomes* the norm. TONS outweighs everything else after awhile. That time has come for Galactus.

quote:

I don't know when this happened. But I do remember in one issue Thanos said Galactus is far beyond his own far(so if you are trying to saying Thanos = Galactus you are wrong).

if I was trying to say that, I'd have no business arguing for Magneto on this thread.

quote:

Hey common every one say AARHH.

Yeah, but that's not exactly a taunt, lol.

quote:

That's the exact point am trying to prove that Galactus surfer from bad writing.
He has already shown that hulk , thor , SS etc are nothing to him.

And I think that showing they are nothing to him is good writing and the way it's supposed to be. But there's a world of difference between beating up the Fantastic Four and beating a Celestial.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 08:27 PM
demigawd is currently offline Click here to Send demigawd a Private Message Find more posts by demigawd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
demigawd
Board Scientist

Originally posted by Beyonder
'Kay now name me the abstracts (aside from Eternity, Death, Chaos, and Order) that's above Galactus.

Infinity, Oblivion, Mistress Love, Sire Hate, Anomaly, Anthropomorpho, Origin, Hunger.

quote:

Funny, that was an IG saga. Infinity Wars, Magus used the combined cosmic cubes from different realities to put Eternity into a catatonic state. That's not something they should get involved in?

Guess not. You're barking up the wrong tree. You'd be better served naming times they've tried something and failed rather than times they just didn't bother. I imagine that as long as their core tasks aren't being interfered with, they won't take part in anything. Killing Eternity, I imagine, wasn't enough to get them motivated. Perhaps changing reality so that everybody hated everybody else would motivate Mistress Love to act.

quote:

If they were sworn to their role, why'd they even bother joining the cosmic bridgade to stop Thanos? Shouldn't they have just play their universal role and leave Thanos to do as he pleases? All he wanted was to replace Eternity, even LT acknowledged that and didn't interfere when Thanos had the IG.

The difference is that Thanos took a hands on approach to these realities. He wasn't just set to replace Eternity - he was set to replace them all. He unleveled the balance of life and death, of all emotion in the universe. Essentially, he usurped them all. THAT is why they chose to respond. Eternity being rendered catatonic doesn't have the same effect.

quote:

It isn't. But that's not me argument.

It wasn't addressed to you.

quote:

Yup, cosmic cube is greater than Galactus, that's why it would be logical for Doom to steal powers from a being weaker than him. laughing

he stole it, then combined the two. Not that hard to conclude.

quote:

Ever heard of Secret Wars. Doom did the same thing. He used Galactus ship to steal Galactus' powers. Then he used Galactus' power to fight the Beyonder and take Beyonder's powers.

And don't bring in this shit about Beyonder being reconned, he wasn't reconned yet. Doom needed one power to move up to another higher power level.

Indeed - no argument from me. But he wouldn't give up on the cosmic cube just because he had G's power.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 08:37 PM
demigawd
Board Scientist

[QUOTE=3647342]Originally posted by JWangSDC
Then we're gonna have to call Thor a favorite over Galactus because in all their showings...Thor comes up with some kind of victory.

Well, G wasn't fighting back or anything, so it's not a fair result of a fight. It's more used to look at durability comparisons and regen and stuff like that than actual combat results.

quote:

Moreover we only know Galactus can do what he has done in comic book showings...bear with me

No argument from me, lol.

quote:

There's a difference between characters like Captain America and Wolverine who you have to go by their showings. Galacuts is different, he's this "omnipotent" (used very loosely) force....the showings you see ARE THE EXCEPTIONS. Did he eat planet earth? No he never got to...does that mean he's 0-1 for consuming planets which he tries to consume...I think not.

He's consumed lots of planets. I know that. Unfortunately for him, a Celestial is not a planet, and it requires showing a lot more power than eating a planet to convince me that someone is greater than a Celestial. Celestials destroy planets all the time, so have people like Thor, BRB, Gladiator and Hulk (GREY one of all people)...so what?

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 08:40 PM
kgkg
Vigilante

i said that Galactus is top 10. (that's all am trying to say)

"Mistress Love, Sire Hate, Anomaly, Anthropomorpho, Origin, Hunger."

how so?

"But you can't have TONS of bad showings and still say it contradicts your capabilities. At some point, even if unintentional, TONS *becomes* the norm. TONS outweighs everything else after awhile. That time has come for Galactus."

well i guess you are right in a way , but when ever big shit goes down Galactus was always there.

Stay Thirsty, My Friends.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 09:04 PM
kgkg is currently offline Click here to Send kgkg a Private Message Find more posts by kgkg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Isn't this "Thor vs Magneto"?

How the heck this turn into "Who's more powerful than Galactus?"

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 09:06 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JWangSDC

Don't take my posts of out context and address them like that. My point was if you just took that showing, he'd be 0 for 1 in consuming planets that he tries to consume. But wouldn't you agree that if it's Galactus vs a Planet...he's clearly the favorite. (He's more likely to consume the planet than it is likely to stop him from consuming it) Starting to see my point at all?

No argument from me, lol.

He's consumed lots of planets. I know that. Unfortunately for him, a Celestial is not a planet, and it requires showing a lot more power than eating a planet to convince me that someone is greater than a Celestial. Celestials destroy planets all the time, so have people like Thor, BRB, Gladiator and Hulk (GREY one of all people)...so what?

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 09:39 PM
JWangSDC is currently offline Click here to Send JWangSDC a Private Message Find more posts by JWangSDC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JWangSDC

and thor would whoop magnetos ass

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 09:40 PM
demigawd
Board Scientist

Originally posted by JWangSDC
Don't take my posts of out context and address them like that. My point was if you just took that showing, he'd be 0 for 1 in consuming planets that he tries to consume. But wouldn't you agree that if it's Galactus vs a Planet...he's clearly the favorite. (He's more likely to consume the planet than it is likely to stop him from consuming it) Starting to see my point at all?

Galactus has been shown consuming planets before, and he's been showing beating the heroes before. But when you're putting him up against cosmic beings, you HAVE to go by similar battles he's been in and they've been in to come up with some logical even ground for determing a result. You can't just assume that Galactus kicks ass off-panel and hope that counts as evidence...it doesn't.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 11:18 PM
demigawd
Board Scientist

Originally posted by kgkg
i said that Galactus is top 10. (that's all am trying to say)

"Mistress Love, Sire Hate, Anomaly, Anthropomorpho, Origin, Hunger."

how so?

Galactus is basically limited to the physical world. He can't really even cross dimensions on his own. Abstracts are beyond the physical world - G literally has no means of hurting them at all. Additionally, they control reality across the omniverse - everything bends to their will, including all physical things. Just to give an example, they were able to exert an effect on Thanos even while wielding the IG. They DEFINE those concepts - they embody them. Sire Hate can cause Galactus to mentally collapse by pounding him with pure hate. It sounds silly, but that's the only way to define the effect it has. it bends the very meaning of the reality of hate, and G wouldn't be able to cope. Think that would have no effect? The Eye of Agamotto worked on G and drove him off...and in terms of emotional manipulation, that is absolutely nothing compared to what abstracts can do.

quote:

"But you can't have TONS of bad showings and still say it contradicts your capabilities. At some point, even if unintentional, TONS *becomes* the norm. TONS outweighs everything else after awhile. That time has come for Galactus."

well i guess you are right in a way , but when ever big shit goes down Galactus was always there.

I don't despute his importance in the hierarchy. Bush is extremely important in world affairs, and anytime something major goes down, he's going to be in on it. But I bet I could whoop his ass.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2005 11:23 PM
armandovalles
Restricted

Account Restricted

magneto doesnt even have a chance here in my opinion. Sure magneto can use his powers to lift up cars and throw it at thor or even blast him with an EMP blast, but what is that compared to a bolt of lightning from a thunder god.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2005 12:16 AM
armandovalles is currently offline Click here to Send armandovalles a Private Message Find more posts by armandovalles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JWangSDC

so everyone agrees, galactus is really strong and thor whoops magneto's ass. Excellent

JWangSDC 1, Demigawd 0

Old Post Apr 24th, 2005 02:04 AM
leonheartmm

magneto is pretty strong too, but his power is more large area damage etc, thor is mystical in nature and mlijnor can easily destroy magneto's shield, but given a decent writer, i think they both have a chance.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2005 02:33 AM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

remember that time when magneto, before his latest upgrade, beat the avengers all at once?

Old Post Apr 24th, 2005 08:51 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote