KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » His cape.......

His cape.......
Started by: jacob_mw2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jacob_mw2

His cape.......

What's the deal with his cape?After almost evry fight his cape is in shreds but not the rest of his costume. I thought his costume was supposed to be as invulnerable as he was

Old Post Apr 24th, 2005 02:28 PM
jacob_mw2 is currently offline Click here to Send jacob_mw2 a Private Message Find more posts by jacob_mw2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ming Tea!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good question bro. Don't know.

If you've got a daddy issue, here's a daddy tissue mate.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2005 03:16 PM
Ming Tea! is currently offline Click here to Send Ming Tea! a Private Message Find more posts by Ming Tea! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuTa

he's not invulnerable when he's fighting aliens and people from other dimensions which is when him and his costume get f*cked up alot

Old Post Apr 24th, 2005 04:56 PM
wuTa is currently offline Click here to Send wuTa a Private Message Find more posts by wuTa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arsenal

If his whole costume got as torn up as his cape does he'd be naked after every major fight.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2005 09:29 PM
Arsenal is currently offline Click here to Send Arsenal a Private Message Find more posts by Arsenal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
harnelo
hubba hubba

Correct me if I'm wrong. I read somewhere that there's some sort of "invisible force field" emitted by his body that only extends out quite thin. This is enough to protect his costume but not his free flowing cape. And if this is b.s. I think its quite rosy b.s. wink

Old Post Apr 28th, 2005 10:37 PM
harnelo is currently offline Click here to Send harnelo a Private Message Find more posts by harnelo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ayjay
Psycho....

i think its true....supes has a weirdo forcefiled thing happnin...but it like an invisible layer of skin.....so it wouldnt prtect his cape...

*Is ThEre N e OnE SeXier?*

Old Post Apr 28th, 2005 11:57 PM
ayjay is currently offline Click here to Send ayjay a Private Message Find more posts by ayjay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DirectorFitz

Actually, I don't think there's a "force field". His costume is made from the blankets he was wrapped in as a baby. Alien-based thread under the yellow sun, is inpenetrable, just like Superman's skin. How the cape rips? I dunno.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 02:35 AM
DirectorFitz is currently offline Click here to Send DirectorFitz a Private Message Find more posts by DirectorFitz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkAge
Stronger than fear

The force feild comes from his cells. Cloth doesn't have it.

"Be yourself. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Old Post Apr 29th, 2005 02:44 AM
DarkAge is currently offline Click here to Send DarkAge a Private Message Find more posts by DarkAge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ayjay
i think its true....supes has a weirdo forcefiled thing happnin...but it like an invisible layer of skin.....so it wouldnt prtect his cape...

This is correct big grin

Old Post Apr 30th, 2005 11:01 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by DirectorFitz
Actually, I don't think there's a "force field". His costume is made from the blankets he was wrapped in as a baby. Alien-based thread under the yellow sun, is inpenetrable, just like Superman's skin. How the cape rips? I dunno.

Not so much a force field, as an aura. At least post crisis. The aura didnt extend much past his skin, which explains why his cape would rip. That, and Byrne liked drawing the ripped cape.
If you saw his costume ripped, it meant he'd suffered serious damage.

Pre crisis, the alien blanket scenario is spot on. Ma Kent sewed the costume under a red sunlight simulating bulb of some kind.
Supes also used to "dry clean" his suit...by flying through the sun.

DCnu, not sure if the aura exists anymore, though it probably does. The armored suit (which he wouldnt need) i chalk up to artistic preference, in the same vein as Byrne's ripped capes...

Old Post Jan 27th, 2015 12:26 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Visually, capes are dramatic, giving a sense of size, motion, energy. Ripped brings drama.
Originally posted by riv6672
Pre crisis, the alien blanket scenario is spot on. Ma Kent sewed the costume under a red sunlight simulating bulb of some kind.
Ma Kent. Tech genius. Who knew.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 01:13 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Not so much a force field, as an aura. At least post crisis. The aura didnt extend much past his skin, which explains why his cape would rip. That, and Byrne liked drawing the ripped cape.
If you saw his costume ripped, it meant he'd suffered serious damage.

Supes also used to "dry clean" his suit...by flying through the sun.

DCnu, not sure if the aura exists anymore, though it probably does. The armored suit (which he wouldnt need) i chalk up to artistic preference, in the same vein as Byrne's ripped capes...

the aura's been gone since the early 2000s, iirc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 02:10 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Really?
That was a really good way to explain certain things about Supes; too bad...

Old Post Jan 28th, 2015 02:43 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SSJGGogeta

Originally posted by harnelo
Correct me if I'm wrong. I read somewhere that there's some sort of "invisible force field" emitted by his body that only extends out quite thin. This is enough to protect his costume but not his free flowing cape. And if this is b.s. I think its quite rosy b.s. wink

No, you're thinking of Superboy, Conner Kent, from the New 52. He was Superman's and Lex Luthor's clone, and had nearly the same abilities as Superman. However, Superman's abilities were physically given to him by absorbing yellow solar radiation, and Conner only had similar abilities because of a TK force field that surrounds his body, giving him invulnerability, super strength, TK and other abilities later on. In fact, he's pretty much a normal person baring the TK.

That's also why he didn't need solar energy to use his powers when one of the lords of chaos basically turned off the sun.

"Why is everybody so ****ing stupid?"- Kim Jong Il, Team America.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2015 05:26 AM
SSJGGogeta is currently offline Click here to Send SSJGGogeta a Private Message Find more posts by SSJGGogeta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Hadnt thought of that in reference to Harnelo's post. Good catch.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2015 11:36 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Really?
That was a really good way to explain certain things about Supes; too bad...

ill have to find the quote, but yeah, I remember reading someone say it was pretty much gone, and Superman was just that durable.

Originally posted by SSJGGogeta
No, you're thinking of Superboy, Conner Kent, from the New 52. He was Superman's and Lex Luthor's clone, and had nearly the same abilities as Superman. However, Superman's abilities were physically given to him by absorbing yellow solar radiation, and Conner only had similar abilities because of a TK force field that surrounds his body, giving him invulnerability, super strength, TK and other abilities later on. In fact, he's pretty much a normal person baring the TK.

That's also why he didn't need solar energy to use his powers when one of the lords of chaos basically turned off the sun.

That was originally said about Superman too. It does apply more to Superboy now, but it did apply to Superman at some point also.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 29th, 2015 05:07 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

K.
That may be where i got confused.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2015 07:38 PM