KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » NJO books

NJO books
Started by: jeggie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VengeanceGOD

How does there being no malevolent part of the force go against the movies? Neither Obi-wan nor Yoda ever says that the Dark Side is something actually there in the Force itself. Luke just ASSUMED that. It makes more sense for the Dark Side to be within the person, as it makes Anakin actually culpable for his fall, as opposed to just a poor pathetic victim. The force has no light or dark side, it just IS.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2004 08:57 AM
Click here to Send VengeanceGOD a Private Message Find more posts by VengeanceGOD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

i couldnt have put that better (hands vengeance god a beer) the force is the force, thats it. what you do with it is your choice. good or bad, sith or jedi, whatever.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Apr 8th, 2004 11:46 AM
Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

yes...
ofcourse...that is considering matthew stover's view on the whole star wars philosophy. he has a particular view on it..also visible in shatterpoint. But that's his affair and it doesn't have to be close to lucas'
Afterall...i don't think gl meant for sw to be a philosophical movie wink

Old Post Apr 8th, 2004 01:13 PM
Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

Its clearly stated in ESB that "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." If the dark side is just within the person, then you would be flip-flopping back and forth depending on your mode at that time. If you disagree, then so be it, but saying there is no such thing as the darkside contradicts the SW movies.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Apr 8th, 2004 08:09 PM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

so, once evil always evil.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2004 11:28 AM
Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

Based on the SW movies, yes, once evil always evil. Sure, Anakin turned back but he was the first. If Yoda had been a Jedi for 800+ years I think he would know a little bit about the Force. If he says there is a darkside, its hard to argue.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Apr 9th, 2004 09:59 PM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VengeanceGOD

How does that quote prove anything? Hitler was on a "dark path" and no malevolent energy force influenced HIM. Yoda is not saying that no one can ever come back, he's just saying that the darkside will always dominate your destiny. It's like saying "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic." The temptation will always be there, but in no way does that quote ever state that the Dark Side is a malevolent force.

For another example, let's look at the first time the Dark Side is mentioned. "Vader was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force." Obi-wan says that. Does that necessarily mean that some evil energy reached out and grabbed him? No. It means very simply that the power the force could provide overwhelmed him, leading him to use it by selfish means. Yoda himself NEVER says that there is a Dark Side in the sense that Luke and you always assumed.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2004 11:51 PM
Click here to Send VengeanceGOD a Private Message Find more posts by VengeanceGOD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

WHoa...you people haven't read the entire series yet????????????? What;s taking you? Get on it!
Yes, er by the way, the NJO is an excellent series...from start to finish....I thought a few near the beginning were annoying, but after that they got considerably better. Destiny's way is great...SBS was great...Dark Journey was ok, Unifying Force was wonderful....though weak at points. I think I liked Conquest so much I reread it...I know I did that with Rebel Dream. I asked the author about the title...he gave me a wishywashy answer....basically saying that both symbolic meanings were correct.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2004 09:49 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

this is true, julie.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2004 06:19 AM
Julie
The Student

What'd you think of Rebel Dream???? I don't oft hear people talk of it like it was their fav...and I'm not even sure if it was mine, but I rememnber liking it a lot

Old Post Apr 26th, 2004 03:41 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

it was pretty good.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2004 05:21 AM
VengeanceGOD

I loved Rebel Dream/Stand. Really well written and also the best covers on a Star Wars novel yet.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2004 07:36 AM