KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Battle of the Next-Generation Consoles

Which next-generation console are you most looking forward to?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
PlayStation 3 120 36.47%
Xbox 360 92 27.96%
Nintendo Wii 82 24.92%
Undecided / too early to tell 23 6.99%
I’ll stick with the classic consoles, thank-you-very-much! 12 3.65%
Total: 329 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Battle of the Next-Generation Consoles
Started by: Morgoths_Wrath

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (110): « First ... « 104 105 [106] 107 108 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
I noticed that too.

In each generation, it seems the most graphically inferior console comes out on top of the others.

Case in point, consoles like SNES, PS1, DS, Wii.

Maybe people just like to side with the underdog..
Or they buy the cheapest one and/or the easiest to hack shifty
Actually SNES was superior to Genesis, but eh!

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2010 06:47 PM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Indeed, the SNES had Mode 7, and Genesis' "Blast processing" was pure marketing lingo. The Genesis marketing campaign was largely making it seem cooler to teenage boys than the SNES.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2010 06:54 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Would also add PS2 to the "graphicly inferior sells best" list.

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2010 06:58 PM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I think the one thing that the history of video game consoles has taught us is that power means nothing. Yeah, the potential of the PS3s hardware specs sounds impressive but when we only see this supposed potential being utilized once or twice a year one loses faith and interest in that company. It's been five years and the best thing the PS3 is known for still remains to be it's Blu ray player. I don't say this as a fanboy of any particular console but rather as a disappointed gamer. My loyalty lies with games and not consoles. I will follow the games and before this last year with the PS3s price drop there were simply no games that warranted the horrendous and insulting price and even now, with the price drop there are very few reasons why i see anyone choosing a PS3.

I'm glad to see them getting on the ball and finally deciding to join the online gaming world. I'm just sorry it took them this long to realize that their online network was all but obsolete. I'm certainly going to give their new online pay service a try this winter but i still struggle to find any reason to pay since i've already become so established with the 360. I guess i'm just still waiting to see all of these awesome graphics and innovations in gameplay that they have been promising since pre-launch. My fear is that by the time designers are able to start utilizing the PS3s full potential, it will be time for a PS4 or another 360 and it is going to take the PS3's full potential to convince me that it's a better console than the 360 because hardware specs aside, the 360 produces better titles or at least is able to produce the same content that the PS3 has been
I wouldn't say power means nothing I just would say it isn't the deciding factor.

We've seen games like gow3 and what not show us it's potential.

I'm not a shooter fan so there's not really anything xbox wise I need to own save the fables.

The xbox 360 needed two discs for lord of shadow as opposed to one for the ps3.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2010 04:37 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

What is it about God of War that makes people cream their pants, from a graphics point of view? Yeah it looks nice, but I've seen as good graphics on other games, including 360 games. Is it the giant boss fights? I've seen those too.

Just... not getting it.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 17th, 2010 05:51 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Kratos' goatee of course.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2010 05:57 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Graphics was probabbly one reasons why GOW3 was a commercial flop. They spent so much money on improving the graphics when they could of settled for less and just improve gameplay. Just show you that graphics aren't going to make the game a success.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2010 06:25 AM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

LOL. Oh man you're right; didn't even know about the sales for it.

Well the game didn't sell that badly, it topped March. It sold pretty lame for a game of it's caliber though.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Oct 17th, 2010 06:34 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
What is it about God of War that makes people cream their pants, from a graphics point of view? Yeah it looks nice, but I've seen as good graphics on other games, including 360 games. Is it the giant boss fights? I've seen those too.

Just... not getting it.
Seriously ? The game looks amazing. How do you not see it ?

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 04:46 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Blax does have a point, GoW3, though graphically very good, is still comparable to some 360 games such as the Halo series, like Reach, teh newest one.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 05:03 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

....Reach is very average looking, its not even that good looking for simply the 360 front.

Killzone 2, let alone 3, is far above it.

God of War 3? It has better character models than Mass Effect 2, better textures than Gears 2, and far grander set pieces and bosses than either in scale.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 05:13 AM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by CosmicComet
....Reach is very average looking
Stopped reading. smile

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 05:31 AM
Cyner
Too little too late

Originally posted by CosmicComet
....Reach is very average looking, its not even that good looking for simply the 360 front.

Killzone 2, let alone 3, is far above it.

God of War 3? It has better character models than Mass Effect 2, better textures than Gears 2, and far grander set pieces and bosses than either in scale.

Ok I can see having more detailed/better textures and much greater scale, but how are the character models better than in ME2? What makes a character model good?

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 05:33 AM
Cyner is currently offline Click here to Send Cyner a Private Message Find more posts by Cyner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by NemeBro
Blax does have a point, GoW3, though graphically very good, is still comparable to some 360 games such as the Halo series, like Reach, teh newest one.
laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 06:13 AM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Maybe another factor for hardware sales is 'hackability'.
The easier the console is to hack, the greater the sales.

PS1 and PS2 sold millions because hacking those things are just a breeze.

The DS was selling more than the PSP because you don't even need to hack it.
Just use a R4DS adapter card and copy the roms to the microSD... and voila, games galore.
Unlike the PSP, where you have to do a step-by-step process to make the ISOs run. One mistake, and its bricked.

The 360 is also easier to hack than the PS3.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 08:49 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Maybe another factor for hardware sales is 'hackability'.
The easier the console is to hack, the greater the sales.

PS1 and PS2 sold millions because hacking those things are just a breeze.

The DS was selling more than the PSP because you don't even need to hack it.
Just use a R4DS adapter card and copy the roms to the microSD... and voila, games galore.
Unlike the PSP, where you have to do a step-by-step process to make the ISOs run. One mistake, and its bricked.

The 360 is also easier to hack than the PS3.

I could imagine this to be a case of correlation is not causation. In that it may be an interesting indicator but not the reason. For example perhaps a console being easily hackable could mean that it is easy or cheap to develop for it.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 03:58 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by Bardock42
I could imagine this to be a case of correlation is not causation. In that it may be an interesting indicator but not the reason. For example perhaps a console being easily hackable could mean that it is easy or cheap to develop for it.

Yes, that can be taken into consideration, as well.

After all, it is a well-known fact that it is easier to port PC games for the 360 than to the PS3.

So that assumption is not far-fetched.

And perhaps, the hardware and software configurations are similar (or have similarities) between a 360 and a PC.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 04:15 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Yes, that can be taken into consideration, as well.

After all, it is a well-known fact that it is easier to port PC games for the 360 than to the PS3.

So that assumption is not far-fetched.

And perhaps, the hardware and software configurations are similar (or have similarities) between a 360 and a PC.

That's true. 360 and PC architectures have much more in common than PC and PS3.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 04:22 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Microsoft specifically designed the 360 to be extremely easy to develop for on PCs. The architecture is analogous to a high-mid level PC, with an optimized graphics processor to carry it through its 5-10 year life.

This makes programming it a snap, because if it works on your PC when you're designing it, it almost always works identically on the console.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 04:28 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by General Kaliero
Microsoft specifically designed the 360 to be extremely easy to develop for on PCs. The architecture is analogous to a high-mid level PC, with an optimized graphics processor to carry it through its 5-10 year life.

This makes programming it a snap, because if it works on your PC when you're designing it, it almost always works identically on the console.

The 360 was analogous to a high-mid level PC at the time of its release almost 5 years ago. Now it's way lower than that.

It's true what you said though, MS wanted 360 to be dev-friendly and they succeeded in that.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2010 08:27 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote