KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Who Should Play The Joker?

Who Should Play The Joker?
Started by: TheFilmProphet

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (20): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
NoFate007

I'd like to see #2 be about Two-Face and with some other cameos and such. Two-Face as the main villain and plot-driver, but I'd like to see him team up with someone small...like....The Clock King or something. Nothing too big or fancy, but just to move the story along. #3 should be all about The Joker though. I think at the end of that, he should meet Dr. Harleen Quinzel.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 09:26 PM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I, myself, would love to see Harvey Dent/Two-Face introduced in the sequel. Two-Face is definitley one of my favorite Bat-Villains, and I think that his kind of psychosis would add a lot to the plot. As far as actors go to fill the role, Harvey "Apollo" Dent needs not only to be young and handsome, but Two-Face is also angry, vile, and extremely volatile. The only actors to cross my mind would have to be Guy Pierce, Thomas Jane (but he has already portrayed The Punisher), and especially Daniel Day Lewis (just watch "Gangs of New York" if you dont see why). And maybe they can set kind an introductory overtone for the Joker for the 3rd film, you know like a little 15-20 minute side plot during the beginning or middle of the second movie. I think the perfect story would be from Alan Moore's The Killing Joke: A failed comedian loses his girlfriend and unborn child, then is coerced by the mob to rob a chemical plant, runs into the Dark Knight, falls into a chemical bath and emerges the Ace of Knaves, the Harlequin of Hate, The Clown Prince of Crime.......The Joker!! Then we dont see anything else of the Joker from the second movie until the third one. I think it'd be perfect! and hopefully we will never see Harly Quinn either. dont get me wrong, i LOVED her in the animated series and comics, but i think her appearance in the movie would take away from Jokers presence.

“Dreams shape the world."

Last edited by Impediment on Jun 19th, 2005 at 09:45 PM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 09:38 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

I don't like the failed comedian bit...I think its better to start him out as just a sadistic psychopath who finds it funny to kill, so he considers himself a comedian.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 09:51 PM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miroku

i'd go with mark hamill he was good in the cartoon series

Miroku: i'll have to open up the wind tunnel it's the only way

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 09:54 PM
miroku is currently offline Click here to Send miroku a Private Message Find more posts by miroku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NoFate007
I don't like the failed comedian bit...I think its better to start him out as just a sadistic psychopath who finds it funny to kill, so he considers himself a comedian.

Well that seems more or less where his character is heading so far as we saw in the last few minutes of BB.

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 09:58 PM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

They never mentioned anything about being a failed comedian, I see nothing to prove your point lol

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:01 PM
shaber
schizoid

The Joker lies about his past alot. In the continuum it is uncertain as to whether he even knows himself, because he says he likes to have multiple choice about it.

In BTAS and the Tim Burton film he was an underworld gun for hire whom Batman dealt with by casting in acid at a showdown in Ace Chemical Plant resulting in the criminal being seared in body and mind.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:04 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I know, I know I got off topic in my last post, but if you want my opinion as to who should portray the Joker, I agree that Crispin Glover has "the look" and all, but I never have seen a performance that could convince of his ability to play a complete psychotic. Now maybe Im going out on a limb here, but I always liked the look of Jason Lee (of Mallrats and Chasing Amy fame). He seems to have a dark side itching to come out. Does anyone disagree?

Last edited by Impediment on Jun 19th, 2005 at 10:11 PM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:05 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I belive the definitive Joker story is The Killing Joke, and I agree that even though his origin is always changing, cuz maybe the DC execs/writers cant make up their minds, or like you said the Jokers prefers his past to be "multiple choice", the comedian part of his origin is integral to his character and why he does what he does.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:09 PM
Praylu

They never mentioned anything about being a failed comedian, I see nothing to prove your point lol

I was referring to this part of your message:

"I think its better to start him out as just a sadistic psychopath who finds it funny to kill, so he considers himself a comedian."

I never said anything about a failed comedian, I'm afraid you must have misunderstood me.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:10 PM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

Oh, yeah I'm sorry I did.

I think, I guess you do too, that it's so much more evil to start out with a man who just thinks the idea of killing is hilarious, rather than a failed comedian. If you have a failed comedian, I think that makes people think that they SHOULD laugh at least a little bit, and then jokes are gonna be forced out of the plot and stuff. I think the funniest things that help prove how insane The Joker is, are the stuff in the cartoon for the most part, such as:

Joker pulls out a gun, the guy says "hey man, I'm just kidding". He shoots. Its a "BANG" flag gun. He laughs, "So am I". After the man calms down, he fires the gun again, and the flag goes into the man's neck. "Whoops, no I wasn't."

Not only is that hilarious dark comedy, but it also shows that this man is not doing these jokes for a laugh for anybody but himself, and he's so out of it that he finds murder to be the funniest thing of all.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:22 PM
shaber
schizoid

The concept works best in conjunction with the artificiality of the genre. In the animated RoTJ the antagonist is more iconic than a character, resembling Mr Hyde and Miltonic ideas of what the Devil may be like.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:28 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vegas
Sin City Sith Lord

Originally posted by Impediment
I know, I know I got off topic in my last post, but if you want my opinion as to who should portray the Joker, I agree that Crispin Glover has "the look" and all, but I never have seen a performance that could convince of his ability to play a complete psychotic. Now maybe Im going out on a limb here, but I always liked the look of Jason Lee (of Mallrats and Chasing Amy fame). He seems to have a dark side itching to come out. Does anyone disagree?

Have you seen Willard or Charlie's Angels?

Sig by ThePittman

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:41 PM
Darth Vegas is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vegas a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vegas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I never have nor will I ever watch Charlie's Angels. As for Willard, all of my friends say that I shouldn't waste my time waching it because it's terrible.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:49 PM
tpaquin
The Guy With the Gun

Originally posted by Impediment
I really like Jason lee, and his voice, but I just don't see it as appropriate for a criminal mastermind.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 11:00 PM
tpaquin is currently offline Click here to Send tpaquin a Private Message Find more posts by tpaquin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
b-dan
Son of Sparda

why are they making a sequil with the joker in it has been done in the first movie with my second fave actor jack nocholson id like to see him play that guy again but why one with him in it

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 11:29 PM
b-dan is currently offline Click here to Send b-dan a Private Message Find more posts by b-dan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Tater
You can't catch me

Originally posted by b-dan
why are they making a sequil with the joker in it has been done in the first movie with my second fave actor jack nocholson id like to see him play that guy again but why one with him in it

Because this is the start of a new Batman franchise, and therefore The Joker needs to be redone (It cannot be a Batman franchise without The Joker).

That's right.

It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 11:58 PM
The Tater is currently offline Click here to Send The Tater a Private Message Find more posts by The Tater Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Tater
You can't catch me

Originally posted by NoWare Man
What do you need done to that pic tater? Maybe I could help.

Turn him into The Joker.

Thanks.

That's right.

It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 11:59 PM
The Tater is currently offline Click here to Send The Tater a Private Message Find more posts by The Tater Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kieralinn

Glover was also "Creepy Thin Man" in Charlie's Angels, McFly in Back to the Future and in a great flick called River's Edge with Keanu Reeves and Dennis Hopper, not to mention a nutcase in Wild At Heart with Nicolas Cage, Laura Dern and DeFoe.

Ain't it Cool News has a poll up on who should play the Joker and Glover is winning.

He has played a psycho on MORE than one occassion and done it more than successfully.

Last edited by Kieralinn on Jun 20th, 2005 at 01:53 AM

Old Post Jun 20th, 2005 01:48 AM
Kieralinn is currently offline Click here to Send Kieralinn a Private Message Find more posts by Kieralinn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu

Oh, yeah I'm sorry I did.

I think, I guess you do too, that it's so much more evil to start out with a man who just thinks the idea of killing is hilarious, rather than a failed comedian. If you have a failed comedian, I think that makes people think that they SHOULD laugh at least a little bit, and then jokes are gonna be forced out of the plot and stuff. I think the funniest things that help prove how insane The Joker is, are the stuff in the cartoon for the most part, such as:

Joker pulls out a gun, the guy says "hey man, I'm just kidding". He shoots. Its a "BANG" flag gun. He laughs, "So am I". After the man calms down, he fires the gun again, and the flag goes into the man's neck. "Whoops, no I wasn't."

Not only is that hilarious dark comedy, but it also shows that this man is not doing these jokes for a laugh for anybody but himself, and he's so out of it that he finds murder to be the funniest thing of all.

Exactly,

What I was trying to say in my earlier post was that near the end of the film the above mentioned seems like the direction they are headed in with the Joker's character.

Reason being, (BIG spoilers ahead) Gordon explains to Batman how this latest criminal (Joker) committed armed robbery and murdered two people. When Gordon shows Batman the Joker card this shows us the criminal feels absolutely no regard for human life and finds human loss amusing thus the reason he leaves this item behind. Basically this is a type of foreshadowing, letting us know this person's sick and twisted form of humor or comedy.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2005 02:30 AM