KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Braveheart, Troy, Gladiator

Best movie
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Braveheart 25 36.23%
Gladiator 27 39.13%
Troy 13 18.84%
Felt equally about all of them 4 5.80%
Total: 69 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Braveheart, Troy, Gladiator
Started by: Stealth Agent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jinXed by JaNx

Gladiator, definitely Gladiator. It may not have the best story or characters but i feel that it was filmed better than Troy and Braveheart. Combined with a masterful score, raw acting and stunning visuals it is hard to not get emotional in some way while watching Gladiator. I'm sure that this is a biased answer but Gladiator has always struck a chord with me. It is probably Hans Zimmers score that does it for me.

I'd give Troy the second place. That movie is highly underrated. It takes a lot of flak for being historically inaccurate but out of all of these movies it is probably the most accurate just because it was adapted from a poem that is most likely pure imagination.

I think Braveheart is more professionally filmed than Troy and it also has some of the most visceral and life-like violence you will see in a war movie of it's kind but that movie is one hour to long for me.

You should throw King Arthur and Kingdom Of Heaven in this poll too.

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Dec 8th, 2008 at 03:35 AM

Old Post Dec 8th, 2008 03:33 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession

Did someone come into the wrong forum...

Old Post Dec 8th, 2008 06:55 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hybris
Jedi Panda

I study Classical Languages and I find all three films amusing although I must admitt my preference goes to Troy and Gladiator for belonging to my study domain stick out tongue

Gladiator has some main inaccuracies when it comes to history: some legions are shown that only existed some centuries later and other stuff like that. It's historically correct that Commodus fought in the Colloseum but he didn't kill his father as far as I know but he killed his sister. Also some of the military equipment used in the film, wasn't used in the century in which Gladiator's events take place.

About Troy, it is just a diamond in the rough. There was some much potential but they kind of screwed it up. The credits claim that the film is based on Homer's Illias but some (major) elements such as Aeneas or the Trojan Horse were put in the film although they were mentioned by Vergil in the first age bc, not by Homer (which is 8th century bc).
It just showed too much that the film had to be a blockbuster with loads of action and a love story. Achilles had to live until the very end eventhough in the Illiad he dies before Troy is taken.

That's just my analysis of the movies but I know almost nobody (except for people who actually know something about it) notice these things or find them disturbing but if you spend as much time as me on these subjects, you'll notice them anyway. They're still very decent films that are great entertainment.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2008 09:07 PM
Hybris is currently offline Click here to Send Hybris a Private Message Find more posts by Hybris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Also, why is this in Sci-Fi/Fantasy. It really doesn't belong here...

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Dec 10th, 2008 11:11 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
braveheart..but then...i'm biased

............I can't believe you enjoy that horrendous insult to our history and culture.

I deplore that film and all it represents...

Old Post Dec 11th, 2008 03:39 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Also, why is this in Sci-Fi/Fantasy. It really doesn't belong here...

Maybe the movie forum, but really, this is an appropriate forum. Action and fantasy, eh?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 01:41 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Braveheart was excellent, although it was historically inacurate in places, that's what the movie makers feel they have to do to make the stories more interesting.
Gladiator was excellent too. troy not so much
I can't remember but in Gladiator did Crowe sleep with the princess?
If he did he shouldn't of because he met up with his wife and son in the afterlife. and it would of been much better like that.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 08:41 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
flexruger

How about a call out for KINGDOM OF HEAVEN? It didn't get the recognition or make the money like these other worthy movies...but had decent actors and acting (liam neeson (sp), edward norton, jeremy irons, etc) and the seige at the end was spectacular.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2009 04:35 AM
flexruger is currently offline Click here to Send flexruger a Private Message Find more posts by flexruger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthLazious
Dark Lord of the KMC

I would say all of the above but If I had to chose then I would pick Gladiator all the way.

http://thewilloftheforce.webs.com/

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 06:44 AM
DarthLazious is currently offline Click here to Send DarthLazious a Private Message Find more posts by DarthLazious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Troy was certainly not the best movie, but I love that story. Hector vs Achilles is a sick movie fight though.

Best movie between Gladiator and Braveheart is tough though. I'd go Braveheart.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 01:11 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Again - Wrong Forum.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 05:37 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession

Yep we have already established that...

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 05:54 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
edisonsukumar

brave heart it is good but the dialogues are not good politician only
speak like that kind of dialogue emotional person always liked braveheart
but true lovers of movies surely like gladiator
braveheart is good but dont compare with gladiator
gladiator rocks

Old Post Mar 17th, 2011 11:08 AM
edisonsukumar is currently offline Click here to Send edisonsukumar a Private Message Find more posts by edisonsukumar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
elfirrepins
sniperrifle backwards

I have seen all three many times, and here are my thoughts...

Braveheart - It was very nice to have a movie with such rawness, but it feels kinda like watching a Mini-Series balled up into one (Watching such a mini-series called Attlla, it felt very similar). The acting was top notch though. They tried to make it sound authentic, but entertaining at the same time. All in all I enjoyed it.

Gladiator - Quite simple in context, but it can come off as sophisticated. They keep you engaged by having a great balance of action, drama, and plot. The acting is very good. The lines are pulled off nicely. The only downside is the selection of actors (in my opinion). But its a great movie.

Troy - A bit disjointed. Not a bad movie, but not the greatest. The action is good, but not that memorable bar a couple of scenes. The acting is okay... But sometimes it looks like it's forced. The isn't that much consistency either. But it isn't that bad. Still worth a watch.

My verdict - My vote goes for Gladiator. Not as rich as Braveheart, but it fills the holes in all the right places.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2011 09:41 AM
elfirrepins is currently offline Click here to Send elfirrepins a Private Message Find more posts by elfirrepins Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
FU

Troy's the superior action film of the three, with the best visuals and fight choreography. The Hector-Achilles duel was one of the best fights I've ever seen.

Gladiator used to be my favorite "ancient/medieval" film, but after about 10 viewings, I've noticed some problems with the script and performances. Not to mention its historical inaccuracy. Commodus' character was just too crazy. Still good though, Maximus' monologue toward Commodus was chilling.

Braveheart's my favorite of the lot. Great performances can make up for a lot of shortcomings, like the hist.inac., and the condensed timing feel. Patrick McGoohan was badass, and the Battle of Sterling Bridge is still hailed as the best choreographed battle scene in cinema.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2011 03:15 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Braveheart and Gladiator are two solid action films drenched in drama. I'm about torn on which I like more, slight edge to Gladiator, but only because I greatly enjoy the ancient Roman eetting and Phoenix played one of the most hateable villains on screen. The first large battle in Braveheart > the large opening battle in Gladiator though.

Troy was retarded, enjoyable enough due to some of the fight scenes, but it was basically made so Brad Pitt could display how fit he got for the role and his overall cuteness. Watch the flick, it's a Pitt pose-off.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Mar 28th, 2011 at 04:58 PM

Old Post Mar 28th, 2011 04:55 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Did anyone ever read Nick Cage's far fetched script idea for a sequel to Gladiator?

As Maximus is killed at the end of the film, he is sent to Hell (Hades?) where he fights the hordes of demons & other warriors that have died in battle.

Maximus defeats all & becomes the God Of War where he is sent back to earth. He is cursed to have to fight in every battle throughout history & even in defeat & death, he is resurrected to fight all over again.

Cage's script even takes Maximus fighting into WW1 & 2.
The sequel ultimately ends in a huge battle in space...

Old Post Mar 29th, 2011 02:02 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
FU

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Did anyone ever read Nick Cage's far fetched script idea for a sequel to Gladiator?

As Maximus is killed at the end of the film, he is sent to Hell (Hades?) where he fights the hordes of demons & other warriors that have died in battle.

Maximus defeats all & becomes the God Of War where he is sent back to earth. He is cursed to have to fight in every battle throughout history & even in defeat & death, he is resurrected to fight all over again.

That. Is. Awesome!

Evidently, Nicholas Cage is the mastermind behind the God of War series.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2011 06:22 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
elfirrepins
sniperrifle backwards

Originally posted by Esau Cairn

lol considering the crap that is coming out today that sounds like the best idea for a movie yet.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2011 07:04 AM
elfirrepins is currently offline Click here to Send elfirrepins a Private Message Find more posts by elfirrepins Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Scott supposedly is throwing around the idea of Gladiator 2, first it was thought it would be a prequel, but now it looks like a sequel sans Crowe or Phoenix.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 29th, 2011 06:22 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote