KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Appreciation and Anti Threads » Losing Her touch?

Losing Her touch?
Started by: Tptmanno1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Losing Her touch?

At the expence of sounding very dorky, and like a Harry Potter Newbie... Mainly owing to the fact I haven't posted here before, I'd like to ask,

Does anyone else think that Rowling is losing her touch? That the popularity is going to her head and that the books are laking?
I do,
I found Half Blood Prince, to be, not only predictible but dull, and dare I say it, boring...
There wasn't the attachment, I couldn't care less about Harry and Ginny, It just was kinda thrown in there, and then torn apart. She didn't develop that at all. It was just there...

It was amazingly predictable, I could tell that Dumbledore was going to die even before I read the first page.

I felt an amazing dis-connection to the characters. They seemed two dementional and the interaction was flat.

The final fight scene seemed thrown together, and without a real purpose. The Death Eaters attacked Hogwarts... Ok so what?

How the Death Eaters got in felt really out of place, even though it was foreshadowed...

Malfoy's sudden Super-evil ness and such...

The list goes on...

Opinions?

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 04:41 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KKdave

I agree on some points. I do think that some characters were not as well written as they were in the past. I felt really disconnected from Hermione, who is usually my favorite character, but in this book she fell flat, seemed cold and not the same as she had been in past books. And i didnt feel that the harry/ginny was important. I obviously just want their relationship to fail, but I felt like she wrote Ginny as trying to replace Hermione, which made me angry and I don't think worked at all or came off right. Besides those points I still think she's great, my favorite writer.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 04:46 AM
KKdave is currently offline Click here to Send KKdave a Private Message Find more posts by KKdave Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I still Like Orson Scott Card Better.
Rowling should read some of his and learn how to do character development/interaction

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 04:55 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JesuseyGoodness
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't really agree.

Remember that everything that Jk writes, is normally used again. There will be more to Harry and ginny in the next book. and I really don't feel that the charactors are distant. She just didn't use ZRon as much. And Hermionie did change, seeing as she finnally expressed her love for Ron, (sort of) she acted differently.

The Trio of Fire lives!!!!! However the flame may filcker, it's light will guide the world!

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 05:03 AM
JesuseyGoodness is currently offline Click here to Send JesuseyGoodness a Private Message Find more posts by JesuseyGoodness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Midnight109

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
At the expence of sounding very dorky, and like a Harry Potter Newbie... Mainly owing to the fact I haven't posted here before, I'd like to ask,

Does anyone else think that Rowling is losing her touch? That the popularity is going to her head and that the books are laking?
I do,
I found Half Blood Prince, to be, not only predictible but dull, and dare I say it, boring...
There wasn't the attachment, I couldn't care less about Harry and Ginny, It just was kinda thrown in there, and then torn apart. She didn't develop that at all. It was just there...

It was amazingly predictable, I could tell that Dumbledore was going to die even before I read the first page.

I felt an amazing dis-connection to the characters. They seemed two dementional and the interaction was flat.

The final fight scene seemed thrown together, and without a real purpose. The Death Eaters attacked Hogwarts... Ok so what?

How the Death Eaters got in felt really out of place, even though it was foreshadowed...

Malfoy's sudden Super-evil ness and such...

The list goes on...

Opinions?

hhhmmm....... i have to agree on that one.the book was the dullest of all and the characters just didn't seem the same.
(did any of you notice the part where JK wrote Rupert once instead of Ronald?)

Previously Hermione202 and Midnight_Miss

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 05:10 AM
Midnight109 is currently offline Click here to Send Midnight109 a Private Message Find more posts by Midnight109 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JesuseyGoodness
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Hermione202
hhhmmm....... i have to agree on that one.the book was the dullest of all and the characters just didn't seem the same.

Well the charactors changed because of times changing, and growing up. And she called him Rupert, because Slughorn couldn't correctly remember his name.

And In my opinion, the dullest Harry Potter book ever, HAs, and always will be, Chamber of Secerets.

The Trio of Fire lives!!!!! However the flame may filcker, it's light will guide the world!

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 05:11 AM
JesuseyGoodness is currently offline Click here to Send JesuseyGoodness a Private Message Find more posts by JesuseyGoodness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KKdave

yeah that was funny, I laughed at that. And I don't agree that Hermione's character should change just because now she has "crush" (i'm grimacing as i'm typing this) on Ron. It isn't worth it to change such a solid, strong, funny character for the sake of puppy love. I wasn't very happy with the way Hermione was written. i think the best written bits in this book were the convo's between dumbledore and harry. expecially the last ones, I think dumbledore said some really vital things.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 05:31 AM
KKdave is currently offline Click here to Send KKdave a Private Message Find more posts by KKdave Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Midnight109

I know but i just thought that instead of writing the Characters for her book , she based it on the real people , Emma , Rupert and Dan.

she concentrated more on real life , than on the character in the book , the fiction.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 05:34 AM
Midnight109 is currently offline Click here to Send Midnight109 a Private Message Find more posts by Midnight109 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Phantom
Angel of Music

Originally posted by KKdave
I agree on some points. I do think that some characters were not as well written as they were in the past. I felt really disconnected from Hermione, who is usually my favorite character, but in this book she fell flat, seemed cold and not the same as she had been in past books. And i didnt feel that the harry/ginny was important. I obviously just want their relationship to fail, but I felt like she wrote Ginny as trying to replace Hermione, which made me angry and I don't think worked at all or came off right. Besides those points I still think she's great, my favorite writer.
Thats because for once Ginny played a bigger part. Hermione was always there, but always fighting with either Harry or Ron.
Originally posted by KKdave
yeah that was funny, I laughed at that. And I don't agree that Hermione's character should change just because now she has "crush" (i'm grimacing as i'm typing this) on Ron. It isn't worth it to change such a solid, strong, funny character for the sake of puppy love. I wasn't very happy with the way Hermione was written. i think the best written bits in this book were the convo's between dumbledore and harry. expecially the last ones, I think dumbledore said some really vital things.
I agree. Hermione should stay the same, not change because she likes someone.
I know but i just thought that instead of writing the Characters for her book , she based it on the real people , Emma , Rupert and Dan.

she concentrated more on real life , than on the character in the book , the fiction.
You got to understand that too, they are teenagers and that some of what they do should be like real teenagers do.

Thank you Neha for the sig!
This years Musical: Little Shop of Horrors (sig for it hopefully coming soon)

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 06:16 AM
The Phantom is currently offline Click here to Send The Phantom a Private Message Find more posts by The Phantom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Midnight109

I know but they aren't ordinary teenagers and if JK wanted to change them she could have done it more slowly and not so abruptly.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 06:23 AM
The Phantom
Angel of Music

Agreed.

Thank you Neha for the sig!
This years Musical: Little Shop of Horrors (sig for it hopefully coming soon)

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 06:32 AM
The Phantom is currently offline Click here to Send The Phantom a Private Message Find more posts by The Phantom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Midnight109

Originally posted by NightCrawler341
Agreed.

yep

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 06:57 AM
daeri

I thought it was a good book, I was irritated by Harry in the last one.. this one is much better.. and Draco isn't evil at all! He's a big coward and I like that about him.. <3

Hermione just didn't connected well because she and Ron weren't talking because Hermione was jealous of Lav-lav stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 02:34 PM
daeri is currently offline Click here to Send daeri a Private Message Find more posts by daeri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

I dunno why, but I was dissappointed with this book... I think it was because, after OotP being such a fast-paced book, the slower trail of this one DID seem dull... sad

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 02:54 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alma negra
Pink Lady with a Firebolt

i feel that hermione was sort of pushed back in order to make way for ginny. i dont think you can sudenly push a strong character like hermione. she's always been in the spotlight w/ron and harry.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 05:54 PM
alma negra is currently offline Click here to Send alma negra a Private Message Find more posts by alma negra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KKdave

I agree, I didn't like the way hermione was pushed to the sidelines a little. She's always been one of the most important people (more important then ron sometimes) and now it was like JKR was trying to make her less vital all the siudden, when in OOTP she was SOO important and was with Harry all the time. I felt like this book was a sidestep from the series or something, it didn't flow with everything else thats been happening in the past 5 books. And I agree with Phoe that it seemed a little dull.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 06:13 PM
Midnight109

Originally posted by Phoenix
I dunno why, but I was dissappointed with this book... I think it was because, after OotP being such a fast-paced book, the slower trail of this one DID seem dull... sad

I agree.i felt the same way about the book.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2005 06:16 PM
TheVapor
Hero

I thought the same about the book. when reading the word "empty" came into my head a bit. I didnt think the book was predictable or dull but there was something lacking in it compared to OOTP. i thought there could have been more detail to it.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 12:00 AM
TheVapor is currently offline Click here to Send TheVapor a Private Message Find more posts by TheVapor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DanZeke25
You can't beat me.

I liked the book a lot, and its my favorite one of them so far. Well i dont know, its hard to say which i like best, but i know that 4-5-and 6 are almost tied.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 12:24 AM
DanZeke25 is currently offline Click here to Send DanZeke25 a Private Message Find more posts by DanZeke25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I disagree... but whatever.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2005 06:05 AM