KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Which trilogy is better?

Which trilogy is better?
Started by: Darth Nhilus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
viking12344

LOL

Old Post Aug 5th, 2005 09:34 PM
Click here to Send viking12344 a Private Message Find more posts by viking12344 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superfly4000

Wouldt GL be the one with the Teddy Bear fettish and a strange compassion for jars.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 01:10 AM
Click here to Send Superfly4000 a Private Message Find more posts by Superfly4000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Koroni
Grey Sith

Both suck. OT had cliche characters, Luke, Ewoks, TIE fighters, hyperdrives, and that Parsec line.

PT was only good for Episode one and shot itse;f in the foot afterwards.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 01:41 AM
Click here to Send Darth Koroni a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Koroni Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Koroni, I despise that reasoning. big grin

Everything about Star Wars is cheesey and cliche; can't use that as an argument. roll eyes (sarcastic)

While I'm at it, no such thing as a Grey Sith, and never will be.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 03:41 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, Rex where are you now?

"The wait is over."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 03:43 AM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Right here?

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 03:53 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
viking12344

Yes superfly, I agree that GL would have to be. But there are several parts of the female anatomy that I could classify myself a fetish fan over and did not create.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 02:31 PM
Click here to Send viking12344 a Private Message Find more posts by viking12344 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theredbaron

quote: (post)
Originally posted by viking12344
Characterization is about as relative as acting skill or music. There really is no debating any of them, I suppose, because people have their own views of what makes all three of those things terrible...or great.

But in keeping with the spirit of this topic, I will give my opinions on the characterization of the OT and the PT.

IMO, as always, the characters in the original trilogy were cliche and stale. The entire storyline, boy meets girl, boy meets bad guy, boy must save princess was done over thousands of times. The PT storyline was much less done before...to the same degree anyway.
The PT still had the boy meets girl thing going on but none of the cheesy story of say, ANH. It was boy who was nothing but slave finds out he is all but a king and chooses that power over what is right thus destroying those around him, including himself.
Much more atune to what I find good storytelling.
Characterization.
What to say? We learn in ESB that Vader is obsessed with finding his boy and we learn what kind of villian he is by his ease at destroying Imperial officers without thinking twice. We learn he will torture the innocent (well solo was hardly innocent) for no good reason at all. We learn how evil he really is. Excellent characterization.

How about Anakin in the PT? While Hayden is not my favorite actor by far, his characterization in the PT was excellent, better than Vader's in the OT, again IMO. We learn he is a self centered, egotistical teen who is scared to lose those around him. We see his skill in the force grow between movies as does his fear. We see how much he loves his wife...or thinks he does. We see how easily he was turned because he wanted to be. We see how messed up he actually is and how he turns into that being in ESB.

Where is the lack of character development? Obi-wan and anakin both had oodles as did Palps. Maybe someone should show me the difference.

I think you've missed the point of what GL was trying to achieve with these films. Star Wars was inspired largely from his reading of Joseph Campbell's 'Hero with a Thousand Faces'. The basic premise of this book is that all myths, legends, folk stories, and fairy tales have common threads and themes that are deep within our psyche. Campbell believed that these classic (or as you called it, cliché) myths have been retold throughout history because basically, they need to be retold. Human beings can relate to these stories and themes universally, and we benefit greatly from them (in a psychological and spiritual sense). In the OT, GL took common heroic themes and put his own twist on them. The attitude of Leia vs. the Damsel in Distress, the villain being the hero's father as some kind of twisted Oedipus Complex...I could go on forever.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 02:52 PM
Click here to Send theredbaron a Private Message Find more posts by theredbaron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theredbaron

Originally posted by CrazyOcelot
At least Lucas is consistent.

Just in case we didn't pick up on the subtlety of this fact, he considerately lets us know that

"I'm a visual film-maker, not a literary one - the movie doesn't rest in the dialogue"

laughing out loud ya gotta love it

He was basically admitting to hideous dialogue in the PT, then...not a very good excuse for stuffing up a trilogy that we've been waiting 20 years for, is it? He could have got someone to help him with the dialogue and the directing, like he did with the originals, but nooooooo...he had to do it himself...

As for Anakin being a whiny teenager - that's bullcrap. Shouldn't have happened, simple as that. Anyone trained in the Jedi arts is above hormones and adolescence - what, do you think Obi-wan or Yoda acted like this when they were this age? I think not, certainly not to this extent. All that 'holding me back' crap sounded like Robin in 'Batman and Robin' (which I might remind you, is the worst Batman film EVER).

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 03:02 PM
Click here to Send theredbaron a Private Message Find more posts by theredbaron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theredbaron

Originally posted by viking12344
Ian's performance in Jedi was great. I said that using another adjetive I believe.....but IMO, he stole RoTS and was great in every scene from TPM and AoTC I can think of.
Hell, add him to the OT lineup of great actors. That gives you three plus a voice.

He stole the show in ROTS, because, surprise, surprise - HE WAS THE ONLY ONE IN PT THAT CONVINCINGLY PORTRAYED HIS ROLE!

But I don't place the blame squarely on the PT actors - in fact, I blame most of it on their poor scripts, and having to act in front of a blue screen all the time.

The Anakin and Obi-wan scenes in ROTS actually portrayed a convincing relationship between master and apprentice, and I actually felt pity for Anakin this time around. However, the Anakin and Padme scenes were truly horrendous. The Anakin/Padme dynamic had nothing on the Solo/Leia dynamic.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 03:07 PM
viking12344

quote:
He stole the show in ROTS, because, surprise, surprise - HE WAS THE ONLY ONE IN PT THAT CONVINCINGLY PORTRAYED HIS ROLE!

I don't agree with that one bit. I think Ewan McGregor was the best actor in either trilogy. Most will probably disagree and call out Ford but do they really think Ford portrayed his role better or do they like the role (wise ass space pirate turned good guy) he played more. I would have to say they enjoyed who the character was more. I know that even I would agree with that. Mcgregor was fantastic in front of a blue screen....which is also no easy task. He may have been a little rough in TPM but so was Ford in ANH.

quote:
I think you've missed the point of what GL was trying to achieve with these films.

The point is not what the creator is trying to achieve...it's what trilogy we like better. Good info regardless. I enjoyed reading it.

quote:
The Anakin/Padme dynamic had nothing on the Solo/Leia dynamic.

I agree. Ford is a great actor and IMO, carried every last one of those scenes. You put in another actor with Fisher and we may not even be having this discussion. Portman is an OK actress but was stale in the entire PT. Hayden, while convincingly playing the role in RoTS fell short of the mark.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2005 04:03 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

funny comments

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Mar 7th, 2022 07:49 PM
Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by theredbaron
He was basically admitting to hideous dialogue in the PT, then...not a very good excuse for stuffing up a trilogy that we've been waiting 20 years for, is it? He could have got someone to help him with the dialogue and the directing, like he did with the originals, but nooooooo...he had to do it himself...

As for Anakin being a whiny teenager - that's bullcrap. Shouldn't have happened, simple as that. Anyone trained in the Jedi arts is above hormones and adolescence - what, do you think Obi-wan or Yoda acted like this when they were this age? I think not, certainly not to this extent. All that 'holding me back' crap sounded like Robin in 'Batman and Robin' (which I might remind you, is the worst Batman film EVER).
How do I think Yoda acted during puberty? Rumor has it he raped a d murdered anything he could get his ha ds on shifty

Old Post Apr 6th, 2022 01:59 PM
Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yoda was training with the baby lightsaber and ball that shoots lasers with the other green puppets by Darth Playgous before he turned to the dark side.

That's how Yoda learned how to teach children how to be jedi in AOTC and how Obi-wan taught Luke in ANH because Han Solo likes to carry jedi training stuff because he's a smuggler.

See, it's like poetry so that they rhyme. Every stanza sort of rhymes with the last one... Hopefully that makes sense.

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Apr 7th, 2022 01:46 PM
Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote