KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Pointinel's "The Classics" thread

Pointinel's "The Classics" thread
Started by: Pointinel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

Pointinel's "The Classics" thread

ok i want to make a list of all the classic story arcs and not the title itself, because every once in a while a crappy book can actually produce a good arc . for example, austen's arc where he killed squid boy, not saying classic, but good nonetheless-for his standards wink .

here's 8 off the head:

(in no particular order)

1.) days of future past - i bet some of you expected this. lol. but all hatred aside, all the claremont mocking forgotten, this is really one of the stories you'll remember for years. the plot at that time is unique, intriguing and unexpected. the characterizations perfect, the consequences well detailed, and the plot is well planned. this one's a classic for real.

2.) dark phoenix saga - ok i know what you're thinking... 2 x-arcs already? well, yes. no self respecting x-fan would leave this out of his/her list. and it's not because it's an obligation, but because it truly is an awesome tale. a lot of marvel's foundation is built on this arc. and probably MU will not be the same without DPS.

3.) Earth X - who can hate on this book? who can not appreciate the tale and the arc that was poured on this maxi? the delicate handling of the characters the world has learned to love, the dialogs... are probably the best work done by alex ross. the tale is unique in its own right, imagine everybody in the world got powers how.. would the superheroes be? how would they live? are there any need for them? thanks to alex ross you dont have to imagine it.CERTIFIED CLASSIC.

4.) the death of superman - nuff said!

5.) Legends in Exile (fables) - now who wouldve thought reading snow white, big bad wolf, jack and the beanstalks and beauty and the beast would make you feel so manly and grown up? lol! but in all seriousness this is probably one of the best books out produced by the new millenium. the characterization realistic, the plot would leave you hanging in suspense and the dialog would make you fall in love with the characters. Fables is probably one of the best books right now and the only book that never lets me down.

6.) The watchmen - one of the best story in all printing medium,and no it's not an overstatement/overhyping. it's a fact. superhero tales are almost generic... superpowers, bright colored spandex costumes , secret identities, but all that changed with this book. alan moore gave something that was rare in the comic world, he gave it reality. this is one of, if not the most important work in comic history. THIS ONE'S A CERTIFIED.

7.) crisis on infinite earths - ok what makes this book so important? for one, it's the first of it's kind. #2 it has a definite beginning, definite consequences and a definite outcome. it showcase the first and probably the last permanent death in the comic world. it aimed to reconstruct 50 years of DC history. to say crisis never happened would be stupid and ignorant. after crisis, the terms "pre-crisis" and "post crisis" would be forever implanted in the minds of DC fans. After crisis there is only one. cool wink cool

8.) age of apocalypse - i know your saying what right does this book have to be put on a list with earth x and crisis. it's because in it's own right it's as much innovative, groundbreaking and IMO important as the other books ive listed. it shows a tale about a world where only the slightest alteration (the death of prof x) can cause disaster and change things dramatically. it showed that because of that heroes can be villains and villains heroes. The most powerful heroes conquered, the most powerful nations reduced to nothing. like crisis, it has a beginning and an end (although the recent book just shitted on this!). the tie-ins are well planned and carefully linked to the main story. the dialogs excellent. x-fan or no x-fan, you hating if you dont appreciate this book. yes this one is a classic.

OK that's it folks, i hope you agree with me. and i would really appreciate it if you can add more stuff. but remember to be careful with dropping the "c-word."LOL! we dont want to anger or mislead the KMC community.

thanks 4 your time!

DarkCrawler >>> Your Favorite Sig-Maker

Last edited by #16 on Aug 7th, 2005 at 02:18 PM

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 02:15 PM
#16 is currently offline Click here to Send #16 a Private Message Find more posts by #16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

"Guardian Devil" is one. "Marvels" too. And who can forget "Kingdom Come?"

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 02:29 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
"Guardian Devil" is one. "Marvels" too. And who can forget "Kingdom Come?"

Daredevil Guardian Devil is amazing!!! I love the art in it as well............

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 04:32 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

but do you agree with my list tho?

i havent read guardian devil(not a big DD fan), what am i missing?

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 05:42 PM
#16 is currently offline Click here to Send #16 a Private Message Find more posts by #16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

I agree on everything except Days Of Suture Past and Legends in Exile...number one didn't seem that important, actually it was boring, and number two I haven't even heard of...

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 05:44 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

"Legends in Exile" are fables 1-5, the book's first storyarc

TRY IT!

ill guarandamntee you'll love it, or your money back

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 05:48 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally posted by Pointinel
but do you agree with my list tho?

i havent read guardian devil(not a big DD fan), what am i missing?

Joe Quesadas art, I think ( I havent read it in a while)

Its a pretty good storyline. It is about a kid that is given to DD to look after, one person is telling DD that this baby is the return of Jesus as prophesied in the book of Revelation, in the Bible. Anther Person is telling DD that the baby is the Anti-Christ also from the book of Revelation. DD is torn between the two possibilities, at the same time his life is being torn apart.

Oh and Black Widow makes a few enjoyable appearances...........

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 09:57 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScarletSpider
Ben Reilly

quote:
Joe Quesadas art

Yup, and it's when he was still good, too.

Kevin Smith wrote it, and it helped jumpstart Daredevil volume 2 and the entire Marvel Knights line.

Priest's entire Black Panther run was awesome. Enemy of the State I and II, the opening arc with Mephisto, Return of the Dragon and so many others.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2005 11:27 PM
ScarletSpider is currently offline Click here to Send ScarletSpider a Private Message Find more posts by ScarletSpider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

UPPIN

input would be appreciated

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 07:27 AM
K Von Doom
Second fiddle

Kingdom Come

Infinity Gauntlet

Batman: Year One

Thor: The Surtur Saga

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 04:03 AM
K Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send K Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by K Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Maximum Carnage

Secret Wars

Probably the new DC "Crisis" and House of M will be added soon.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 04:45 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

I DONT GET WHAt's really good with Secret Wars?

reaally...

the only thing i liked as a result of SW - Venom.

can somebody elaborate why they like that Story?

thanks

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 04:48 AM
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

I agree with a lot of what you said. Good choices P.

Dcrawler im atounded. How could you not have heard of the masterpiece that is the Dark Phoenix Saga? Pick it up immediately!!

I thought Infinity Gauntlet was pants to be honest.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 12:20 PM
GalacticStorm is currently offline Click here to Send GalacticStorm a Private Message Find more posts by GalacticStorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

Didnt like Secret Wars either

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 12:21 PM
GalacticStorm is currently offline Click here to Send GalacticStorm a Private Message Find more posts by GalacticStorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Originally posted by GalacticStorm

Dcrawler im atounded. How could you not have heard of the masterpiece that is the Dark Phoenix Saga? Pick it up immediately!!

I thought Infinity Gauntlet was pants to be honest.

I mentioned two choices and referred them as "No.1" and "No. 2". I haven't never heard of Fables. Sorry if it confused you. And I have heard of DPS, but I haven't never read it... stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 12:25 PM
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

Originally posted by GalacticStorm

ok thanks man!

can i guess on what you didnt agree?

id say.... the death of supes? right? lol

about infinity guantlet...

something about powerhungry tyrants never really impress me. i get enough of that watching cnn and fox. or for example "The Republican" *cough*GWB*cough*. no hate on the other republicans tho. i love guilliani.... stick out tongue

that's probably why i wouldnt like infinity crisis either

question : do i need to be a die-hard dc fan to appreciate/enjoy crisis?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:53 PM
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

Lol people assume im anti-Dc because i never talk about it. I get Teen titans, outsiders, Majestic and Lucifer.

Death of Superman was good i wouldnt call it a classic though but thats just my opinion. Good choices though.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:12 PM
BALLER STATUS IV LIFE

NEW ADDITIONS (without the caption):

1.) E is for extinciton
2.) SHHH! NUFF SAID (new x-men) - what can i say i just loved it
3.) Batman: DKR
4.) Marvels
5.) supreme squadron (the maxi, where authority got it's idea *winks at whirly*
6.) judas contract (teen titans)
7.) original sins (hellblazer)
8.) god love, man kills

ADD-ON!!!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:17 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

I liked secret wars cos although the plot was terrible.......it had some brilliant fight scenes, I think that spider-man and she-hulk dont get enough credit, but in secret wars they mopped the floor with everyone, except after a while she hulk got beaten up..................

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:23 PM
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

Originally posted by Pointinel
NEW ADDITIONS (without the caption):

1.) E is for extinciton
2.) SHHH! NUFF SAID (new x-men) - what can i say i just loved it
3.) Batman: DKR
4.) Marvels
5.) supreme squadron (the maxi, where authority got it's idea *winks at whirly*
6.) judas contract (teen titans)
7.) original sins (hellblazer)
8.) god love, man kills

ADD-ON!!!

E is for extinction is sick!!!! I love New Xmen. Boy you're reading my mind. I knew there was something i forgot. That shhhh!!! issue is one of my fave issues of all time i thought was so well done.

I feel embarassed to say i havent actually read Marvels. Being away at uni has left a bit out of touch. Whats the full title of this series? , i'll download them tonight

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:25 PM