KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Who is Darth Plagueis, Really?

Who is Darth Plagueis, Really?
Started by: Padawan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
REXXXX
Networking

Or Palpatine.

My Twitter My Facebook My Tumblr My Wordpress

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 06:00 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jabbar
Jedi Master Jabbar

mace would open up a can of woop-ass on any sith. just make sure anakin is not around while he's doing it wink

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 06:20 AM
Click here to Send jabbar a Private Message Find more posts by jabbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Padawan
Sith Rule The Galaxy!

Lie about what? That Palps knew how to stop someone from dying? If that's what you mean, then why did he later change his story and tell Anakin "perhaps together, we can find the way" ? Or something very similar. I will have to go back to the movie or SW.com for the exact quote.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bobcrickett
I think it'd be silly to lie about it. I'm sure he was telling a truthful tale, just not for good purposes...

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 07:20 AM
Click here to Send Padawan a Private Message Find more posts by Padawan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
b-dan
Son of Sparda

i think gerorge wants to keep him a mysterie he always does that.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 04:57 PM
Click here to Send b-dan a Private Message Find more posts by b-dan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Originally posted by jabbar
mace would open up a can of woop-ass on any sith. just make sure anakin is not around while he's doing it wink

errr.....no not quite there buddy.

Palpatine let Mace win and Vader would anal Windu

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 05:26 PM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ogami Itto
Lone Wolf and Cub

i'm not sure if he was sidious's master!!!
didn't palps say that the story was a old legend???it's never stated in the film that the emperor is ancient!

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be lesser and greater persons than yourself.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 05:52 PM
Click here to Send Ogami Itto a Private Message Find more posts by Ogami Itto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

yea, i think he just "said" it was a legend.

judging by the look of extreme pleasedness about himself as he says "and then his apprentice killed him in his sleep" with his smirk, it was definitly palps that killed him.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post Aug 8th, 2005 06:05 PM
Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kr3w_killah
Ain't no thang.

"Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith. So powerful and so wise that he could use the force to influence the midi-chlorians to create, life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying." - Chancellor Palpatine

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 11:59 AM
Click here to Send kr3w_killah a Private Message Find more posts by kr3w_killah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

In the novelization, Palpatine said Plaguies was his master and that Palps killed him after he told him about stopping people from dying. In the novel that was the 'aha' moment when Skywalker knew Palpatine was a sith lord.

A little different than in the movie, an interesting choice by Lucas. Now we've got the 'book' or 'movie' being canon argument! But always, the movie rules.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 04:16 PM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Callous
Mitsu Racer Honda Hater

Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
errr.....no not quite there buddy.

Palpatine let Mace win and Vader would anal Windu

That's the whole point!!!! Palpatine LET him win cuz he knew little Ani was coming and would do his damndest to prevent the Chancellor's death, on top of all that, Palp knew that Mace and Anakin had never liked eachother since he was a kid. When Palpatine telepathed Skywalker saying: " You DO know that if the Jedi kill me, all hope of saving Padme is lost."---that was the spark that made Anikin leave the Temple and league-up with the Supreme Chancellor.

And I don't think Lord Vader would anal Windu as an akward cyborg. IF Vader won, it would be by a very close margin.

Last edited by Darth Callous on Aug 11th, 2005 at 02:18 AM

Old Post Aug 11th, 2005 02:16 AM
Click here to Send Darth Callous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Callous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
star man

Sleep darth paleguis

darth paleguis is anikins godfather cool = it runs in anikins blood

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 06:55 PM
Click here to Send star man a Private Message Find more posts by star man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
star man

Re: Who is Darth Plagueis, Really?

Originally posted by Padawan
Forgive me if there is a thread somewhere about this in the past. Does anyone really know who Plagueis is, where he was from and any other details regarding him, other than the slight mention of him by Palps in ROTS?

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 06:56 PM
Click here to Send star man a Private Message Find more posts by star man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Padawan
Sith Rule The Galaxy!

Re: Re: Who is Darth Plagueis, Really?

Eh? You meant to say something? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Originally posted by star man

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 07:06 AM
Click here to Send Padawan a Private Message Find more posts by Padawan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordAndeddu

Darth Plagueis was a Sith Lord who, according to legend, had discovered a way to manipulate midi-chlorians to prevent death and create life. However, his apprentice, Darth Sidious, betrayed Plagueis (a common practice among the Sith) and killed him in his sleep, thus becoming the Sith Master himself; it remains unclear when this happened, as some believe Sidious spent some time practicing Sith arts on his own, but some believe he immediately found an apprentice of his own (Darth Maul).

It was Darth Sidious who later told the legend of Darth Plagueis referred to as The Tragedy of Plagueis the Wise to young Jedi Anakin Skywalker in order to help the Jedi apprentice turn to the Dark Side. Whether or not Plagueis ever truly learned the secret to creating and indefinitely sustaining life is unclear. Sidious may have been lying to appeal to Anakin Skywalker's sensibilities: Sidious later admits that, though he is the apprentice from the Plagueis tale, he does not actually know the secret. It is possible that Plagueis knew this power, but did not actually share it with his apprentice, but it is unlikely that Sidious, who is known for his slow, methodical ways, would be so quick to kill his master before learning this technique if he knew for sure that his master had acquired the ability.

According to the dead spirit of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, who spoke to MasterYoda through the Force, the true secret to immortality in the Force was not physical, but spiritual. This does not rule out the possibility that Plagueis had learned a technique to stop death, but whatever the Sith Lord learned, it was not ultimate immortality, which according to Qui-Gon could only be achieved through "compassion, not greed."

Although it is never stated in the movie that Sidious was Plagueis' apprentice, it is included in the novelization of Revenge of the Sith and implied in the film. Palpatine says in the novel that "Darth Plagueis was my master...before I killed him." However, this line was never in the shooting script for the film, and is found purely in the novel.

Palpatine's explanation to Anakin of Plagueis was as follows:

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? No? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life.... He had such a knowledge of the dark side he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.
<p> He became so powerful the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. [smiles] It's ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself. </blockquote> When asked of what happened to the apprentice, Sidious/Palpatine in the novel replies Oh, he went on to become the greatest Sith Lord the galaxy has ever known.

Possible Connection to Anakin Skywalker:
The revelation of Plagueis's abilities has launched debate among fans, some of whom speculate that the Sith may have had a hand in the creation of Anakin Skywalker, though this is never explicitly stated in the movies. Indeed, George Lucas has also consistently stated that Anakin was created by "the Force itself." Whether Anakin was created by the Force's will to fulfill an ancient prophecy and destroy the Sith, or because of Plagueis' evil intentions, casts the Star Wars saga in different light, philosophically - although the mythological motif of the mysterious virgin birth technically still exists in both circumstances, since neither involves human contact or a natural father. Plagueis may have died around the time of Anakin's birth, and there are persistent speculations that there may have been a connection. Recently, in a Rolling Stone interview (RS 975), Lucas indicated that the issue was left deliberately mysterious in the Star Wars prequels, and that it's up to the audience to decide for themselves how Anakin was created - other Lucasfilm sources have confirmed that for now, the issue intentionally remains a mystery. Some believe Darth Sidious himself used the teachings taught to him by Plagueis to create Anakin, or even that Palpatine/Sidious may simply be Anakin's biological father (despite Shmi's claim that there was no father). However, Palpatine appears to take no interest in Anakin until after the Battle of Naboo, despite meeting him first on Coruscant. The official Star Wars website reveals that creating life and preventing death arise from the same ability, and since Palpatine admits to Anakin that he cannot prevent death, it seems highly unlikely that he can create life, and therefore could not have created Anakin. However, the complete truth remains a mystery.

Double Life: A Dark Lord and A King:
Not much is know of Plagueis' life. Like all "Darths," his birthname was not actually his Sith title of Darth Plagueis. Evidence gives some reason to believe he may in fact have been King Veruna, leader of the planet Naboo, shortly before Queen Amidala's reign and the events of Episode I: The Phantom Menace. It is said that Veruna quietly resigned as king of Naboo and his mysterious death abruptly afterwards may have been his apprentice Sidious murdering him if indeed Veruna and Plagueis were one and the same. It is not ever mentioned, however that Veruna was a tyrant of a leader, although there is evidence that shows Plagueis may have been one of the "calmest and most good-natured" of the dark Sith if that is even possible.

Another reason to suggest Plageuis was king of Naboo or at least an inhabitant of Naboo was because it is a known fact that Sidious was also a native of Naboo and thus the two could have first met each other on their homeworld.

However, it is most likely that Plagueis was not Veruna. The timeline shows Darth Sidious beginning Darth Maul's training in 52 BBY. Veruna did not die until 32 BBY, some 20 years after Darth Maul's training began. That would mean that there were three Sith Lords in existence at once, and since there can only be a Master and an Apprentice, it is unlikely that King Veruna was in fact Darth Plagueis.

Other Info:
In Joseph Campbell's book The Hero with a Thousand Faces there is an entire chapter on virgin birth as an aspect of heroic mythology. Since Campbell considered Lucas "one of his best students" and Lucas himself has often acknowledged the importance of Campbell as one of many inspirations for Star Wars it's hardly a coincidence. In the book the virgin birth is a means of separating the heroic figure from the rest of humanity, marking them as special and isolated from the moment of conception.

In Revenge of the Sith, Darth Sidious reveals that the reason Plagueis taught his apprentice was because he was afraid of losing his power. Interestingly, since Plagueis had to spend much time in meditation and self-examination, it is thought by some that he may have been something of a pacifist (or at least, as close to one as a Sith Lord could ever be), or that his power of averting death took a great deal of his strength.

Plagueis is also mentioned in the novel Labyrinth of Evil.

More Plagueis information is rumored to be in the new live action Star Wars show coming out in 2006.

Darth Plagueis' Sith master was Darth Andeddu.

Last edited by LordAndeddu on Nov 7th, 2005 at 10:17 PM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 10:11 PM
Click here to Send LordAndeddu a Private Message Find more posts by LordAndeddu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
palpy_666
SITH LORD

Andeddu, please don't do that. Please don't copy and paste large ass stories. We don't care nor do we wish to read all of that.

Thanks,
The Sith who will kick your ass if you copy and paste big shyt again

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 11:20 PM
Click here to Send palpy_666 a Private Message Find more posts by palpy_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArthasKnight
Dark Lord of the Sith

IMO, Darth Plagueis was a story made up by Palpatine that appealed to Anakin's desire to save Padme's life. Anakin's hope of Palpatine being the only one who can teach him to save Padme secured Anakin's need to keep Palpatine alive. All Palpatine was doing was making sure Anakin didn't turn on him since he knew he'd want Palpatine alive to teach him Plagueis' secret.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2005 11:50 PM
Click here to Send ArthasKnight a Private Message Find more posts by ArthasKnight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Fegelien!

Originally posted by ArthasKnight
IMO, Darth Plagueis was a story made up by Palpatine that appealed to Anakin's desire to save Padme's life. Anakin's hope of Palpatine being the only one who can teach him to save Padme secured Anakin's need to keep Palpatine alive. All Palpatine was doing was making sure Anakin didn't turn on him since he knew he'd want Palpatine alive to teach him Plagueis' secret.
That's exactly what I felt.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 12:25 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Palpatine could also have just been lying.

My thoughts as well. He could have lied just to influence Anakin.

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 12:28 AM
Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I found out that Palpatine was training Maul before Plagueis' death in the Essential Chronology book...the new one, I mean.

My Twitter My Facebook My Tumblr My Wordpress

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 12:56 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GCG
Red Bull

Oh yes ; the book might reveal more !

ANy more info Mr. King ?

Deferrals get you nowhere - Just Do It.........Or Ineptitude will consume your life like a Cancer

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 01:00 AM
Click here to Send GCG a Private Message Find more posts by GCG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote