KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Ysannis vs. the Mandalore Revan killed

Ysannis vs. the Mandalore Revan killed
Started by: Darth_Glentract

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I blame humanitarism. That and all those people whining about 'freedom' and 'respect for laws'. What about principle, dammit?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 12:55 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Illustrious
Actually, it can be done. You can't do it with a FOIL, perhaps that's what you're thinking, but a rapier can stand up to heavier blows. It would require more finesse than your average duelist, but an elite duelist could likely have some fun dancing with the Samurai wink.

Well...I'm full off bias here since I am Kenjutsu practioner myself.

But at least I think a Katana fighter would pretty much own a rapier fighter because a rapier is a weapon used one-handed only and it's more a thrusting weapon than a slash weapon. At least the masters of Rapier fights (such as Ridolfo Capoferro or Savinien Cyrano de Bergerac) used thrusts and nearly no slashs and it was common to use a secondary weapon (dagger) or even a cape for defense.

Now a Katana is a two-handed weapon and it can be used for thrusting and for slashing and I actualy think it's the most deadly weapon to use when it comes to melee combat. And a Samurai would be the most deadly user of that weapon. So if it's European fencer vs Samurai I would say the Samurai wins.

Just have a look at this:

Attachment: nobuhide.jpg
This has been downloaded 37 time(s).

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:43 AM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

One thing... Does a katana go through thick European armor? Jusr curious.... Because the Samurai fought enemies who were lightly armed at best, unarmed more often than not, while European fighters wore heavy, protective armor until the invention of the crossbow and then gunpowder put an emphasis on speed. So really, to compare a rapier master versus a samurai is a bit off considering each "evolved" out of different circumstances.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:49 AM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Ahah, but when the Europeans used that hell-heavy armor, they were still riding horses and wielding lances and broadswords. Rapiers wouldn't be that effective against thick and heavy armor. And even with such armor, the Samurai would simply need a well-placed swing at the weaker chain-mail present in the gaps in the armor, such as at the neck.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:54 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RocasAtoll

You guys are arguing who is stronger, whe nthe question is who was the more important kill.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:56 AM
Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Rapier fighters didn't wear any kind of armor at least the masters of that art were around in the 16th and 17th century. Rapier fencing was no "military" skill.

In medieval times the people wore that heavy armor (chain, plate) but in this time no one would have used a rapier. If you take a look at the weapons back then they were heavy enough to break bones when hitting somebody.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:57 AM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Exactly what I said.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:57 AM
Click here to Send Eminence a Private Message Find more posts by Eminence Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I knew that, I just somehow started talking about something totally different. But anyways, my point was to compare them directly would be impossible since both came about for different purposes. I mean, Europeans didn't focus on weapon mastery outside of what it takes to win on the battlefield until melee weapons were already in decline.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:58 AM
RocasAtoll

Originally posted by Darth Windu
Ahah, but when the Europeans used that hell-heavy armor, they were still riding horses and wielding lances and broadswords. Rapiers wouldn't be that effective against thick and heavy armor. And even with such armor, the Samurai would simply need a well-placed swing at the weaker chain-mail present in the gaps in the armor, such as at the neck.

The thing is, mos European armour was not weak at the neck. They made a neck guard because otherwise it would leave you with a major flaw that anyone could see.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 01:58 AM
Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally posted by Darth_Janus
I knew that, I just somehow started talking about something totally different. But anyways, my point was to compare them directly would be impossible since both came about for different purposes. I mean, Europeans didn't focus on weapon mastery outside of what it takes to win on the battlefield until melee weapons were already in decline.

Ah yes...that's right. Rapier fighting was more likely a "hobby" or "sport" than something useful. Still they did a lot of dueling with that things.

And well...a Katana might be able to cut chain armor and the physical strength behind a two-handed strike might be enough to break bones of somebody who wears plate armor. Those things are really sharp.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:06 AM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

They are. I was playing around with one and put some good slices in a chair. Didn't harm the blade one bit.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:08 AM
Illustrious
Sans Pareil

Actually, most people who used rapiers didn't fight for a living, but those noblemen that wanted to live certainly weren't bad at it.

Yes, katanas are two handed weapons, and very fearsome ones at that, but the rapier type sword wasn't a slouch. While it is one handed, it attacks the weakest point of the katana, which is much more effective at blocking slashes than stabs.

Also, to block a slash, you don't need to counter the force, you just need to slightly redirect it, which isn't too dificult for the duelist to do. Also, with a free hand, the rapier duelist has counterbalance and is able to be more nimble on his feet, including the use of feints and close body parries in order to avoid getting hit. And while rapiers are primary piercing weapons, they do have edges and as a result, can slash.

It would be a good fight in the fact it would be power vs. deception.

If the rapier duelist was quick on his feet, I say he could take this, if the katana duelist was precise, he'd win.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:11 AM
Click here to Send Illustrious a Private Message Find more posts by Illustrious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Oh, I agree. Fencing is by no means a poor sport or style. But each has its advantages.

So what's your thoughts on Filipino dual wielding versus Florentine style fencing?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:16 AM
Illustrious
Sans Pareil

I personally would find it very hard pressed to dual wield much of anything. If you watched the Olympic sport of fencing, particularly the saber division, you'd notice just has fast they can move that rapier.

The fencer will need every bit of speed and nimbleness on their feet they can get.

The primary reason Florentine style duelists may equip a second weapon, usually a short dagger on their lesser hand, is to parry that lightning quick stab that avoids their rapier. While the dagger alone is not sufficient by any means, it's their last line of defense before they get skewered.

I would find it much more awkward to duel wield, especially since you don't have the counterbalance or the ability to make feints and lunges anywhere near as easily.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:19 AM
Click here to Send Illustrious a Private Message Find more posts by Illustrious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I personally would find it very hard pressed to dual wield much of anything. If you watched the Olympic sport of fencing, particularly the saber division, you'd notice just has fast they can move that rapier.

The fencer will need every bit of speed and nimbleness on their feet they can get.

The primary reason Florentine style duelists may equip a second weapon, usually a short dagger on their lesser hand, is to parry that lightning quick stab that avoids their rapier. While the dagger alone is not sufficient by any means, it's their last line of defense before they get skewered.

I would find it much more awkward to duel wield, especially since you don't have the counterbalance or the ability to make feints and lunges anywhere near as easily.

Hm. I've always thought the advantages to using just one weapon outweight the advantages of using two. Besides, using two is a clumsy art at best, and an abysmal failure at worst.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:22 AM
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

They are. I was playing around with one and put some good slices in a chair. Didn't harm the blade one bit.

Well...the "new" Katanas are quite better then the "old" ones because of material developement.
But well...I've read some book about the "Battle of Whispy" (1361) and they found people in chain armor that had cut both legs off with one single strike. Urm...I guess a Katana would pretty much own somebody in chain armor.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:34 AM
Darth243

Glove slapping and duelling should be legal.

I fully agree

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:40 AM
Click here to Send Darth243 a Private Message Find more posts by Darth243 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Yes, katanas are two handed weapons, and very fearsome ones at that, but the rapier type sword wasn't a slouch. While it is one handed, it attacks the weakest point of the katana, which is much more effective at blocking slashes than stabs.

The point is: A Katana user might just aim at your Rapiers blade and not at your body and this might be enough to end the existence of the rapier because those things aren't made for taking direct hits from "heavy weight" weapons.

quote:

Also, to block a slash, you don't need to counter the force, you just need to slightly redirect it, which isn't too dificult for the duelist to do. Also, with a free hand, the rapier duelist has counterbalance and is able to be more nimble on his feet, including the use of feints and close body parries in order to avoid getting hit. And while rapiers are primary piercing weapons, they do have edges and as a result, can slash.

Well yes...it would be power vs deception. Still a "precise" Katana fighter can use thrust attacks and I guess it would be pretty hard to fend some two-handed slash with a one handed weapon.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 02:50 AM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Originally posted by HimoKun
You guys are arguing who is stronger, whe nthe question is who was the more important kill.

I meant which one is better.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 03:32 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eminence
Boss

Depends on what you're looking for, and who you're fighting. . .

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 03:35 AM