KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Vh1 Top 100 Best Hard Rock Artists

Vh1 Top 100 Best Hard Rock Artists
Started by: Dr. Octagon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jks

Bleh, I don't feel like going on and on with this guy. I've already made my points, and backed them up. If you want to continue arguing, please do so as like I said earlier, you are entertaining.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 12:56 AM
jks is currently offline Click here to Send jks a Private Message Find more posts by jks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jks
But they had no knowledge or reason to believe otherwise.

They believed with confidence. Which is, by definition, part of an opinion.

What I believe with fact overrides what you believe with confidence. As a result, your opinion would be wrong.

Hopefully you can now see that you are wrong, have been wrong, and will finally cut this whole opinion debacle out of your replies.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 12:58 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RocasAtoll

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

What I believe with fact overrides what you believe with confidence. As a result, your opinion would be wrong.

Hopefully you can now see that you are wrong, have been wrong, and will finally cut this whole opinion debacle out of your replies.

-AC

I believe, jks, that ACh as, what we call in ebonics, "Served" you.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 12:59 AM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Hornyman

I believe that AC has, what we call in English, repeated what I just posted.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:03 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

You got the PART of the definition right....

quote:
But me saying king is one of the worst lead players IS backed with fact, rather than what YOU believe. All I have to do is point to his limited technique, his lack of knowledge of scales and his playing out of key.

quote:

-AC
Perhaps if you hadn't misinterpreted it to begin with, it wouldn't have been draged out to this extent.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:04 AM
jks is currently offline Click here to Send jks a Private Message Find more posts by jks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

Originally posted by Hornyman
Where?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:04 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
But me saying king is one of the worst lead players IS backed with fact, rather than what YOU believe. All I have to do is point to his limited technique, his lack of knowledge of scales and his playing out of key.

Perhaps if you hadn't misinterpreted it to begin with, it wouldn't have been draged out to this extent.

A) You started claiming that Slayer, of all bands, have shit musicianship. That Kerry King is (or is one of, whatever we're going with) the worst guitarists of ALL TIME. How are you seriously sitting there and claiming that this is backed by fact? Considering you're criminally wrong?

B) I'm not the one who started filling the thread with blind insults and ineptitude. You are. Blame yourself. Most of your posts were you calling me an idiot for saying opinion can be wrong.

Tell me, how does it feel to know that for a fact, you were wrong? Does it taste cheap and metallic, Clarice? Like sucking on a rusty, copper coin?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:08 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

[B]A) You started claiming that Slayer, of all bands, have shit musicianship.
They do. Tom araya is average at best, and king is a bad lead player.
quote:
That Kerry King is (or is one of, whatever we're going with) the worst guitarists of ALL TIME. How are you seriously sitting there and claiming that this is backed by fact?
Because, as has been stated numerous times, I actually know what I am talking about on the subject because I play the instrument., which means I have a far greater knowledge of what makes someone good or not. I then proceeded to tell you in what areas king lacks discipline

quote:
B) I'm not the one who started filling the thread with blind insults and ineptitude. You are.
You did fill the thread with ineptitude, mental ineptitude.
quote:
Blame yourself. Most of your posts were you calling me an idiot for saying opinion can be wrong.
You're arguing semantics now. An opinion, by definition, can't be wrong. The example given earlier doesn't apply because, by definition, saying the world was flat back then was fact due to their limited knowledge.

quote:
Tell me, how does it feel to know that for a fact, you were wrong?
You tell me. I have done nothing but back up what I said with my superior knowledge on the subject and facts. Tell me, how does it feel knowing you have gone on and on being schooled on a subject you know nothing about?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:17 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
They do. Tom araya is average at best, and king is a bad lead player. Because, as has been stated numerous times, I actually know what I am talking about on the subject because I play the instrument., which means I have a far greater knowledge of what makes someone good or not. I then proceeded to tell you in what areas king lacks discipline

And I proceed to tell you that your opinion of him being one of the worst lead players ever, is wrong. Now that we've established that an opinion can be wrong, yours IS wrong. Why? Because you believe with confidence that King is one of the worst ever. Factually, he isn't. Because worst ever would mean dreadful, horrific technique and inability to play the instrument, right? Right. Kerry King does not have any kind of inability to play guitar. So realistically if it became about all of the guitarists of ALL time, playing against each other. Would King be in the top half of the table, or the bottom? Yes the top. Factually proving that you are wrong.

Originally posted by jks
You did fill the thread with ineptitude, mental ineptitude. You're arguing semantics now. An opinion, by definition, can't be wrong. The example given earlier doesn't apply because, by definition, saying the world was flat back then was fact due to their limited knowledge.

If I believe the world was flat, and believe it with confidence, that's my opinion. You can prove me wrong, therefore my opinion is wrong. You believe Kerry King is one of the worst ever, not by fact, but by confidence. How do I know it's by confidence? Because you said yourself that there could very well be worse, you just haven't heard them. So you're pretty confident that there are none worse. Just like people were confident that the Earth was flat based on the fact that they didn't have enough knowledge. You don't have enough knowledge to say King is one of the worst ever, because I can prove that there are worse. Just like you can prove the Earth isn't flat.

J...JKS?.....Where'd you go? Wh-what are you doing on the floor?

Originally posted by jks
You tell me. I have done nothing but back up what I said with my superior knowledge on the subject and facts. Tell me, how does it feel knowing you have gone on and on being schooled on a subject you know nothing about?

Read the above post then bring me a shiny apple in the morning.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:24 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by jks
The example given earlier doesn't apply because, by definition, saying the world was flat back then was fact due to their limited knowledge.

It wasn't fact though, it was an opinion. How was it fact? It was a belief later proven to be fallacious.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:26 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

The world wasn't flat because they believed it to be, was it? It's always been spherical, even when they thought it wasn't.

Such a fool.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:28 AM
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

*sigh*

First of all, who gives a care about Tom Araya? He's the bassist. Oh, and vocals too but those aren't worth much mention either in this case. I'll agree with you on Kerry King though. The guy's an average guitarist. Not bad per se, but nothing special either. In fact, most would find it interesting to know that he had very little to do with Reign in Blood, which explains why it's their best record. :P

Slayer's only worth something because of Dave. Cause you know, Dave's probably one of the best metal drummers around. The rest of the band I could care less about.

Oh, and rusty kettles are nice to stroke. wink

This sig was brought to you buy CorderaMitchell and Piggle. Blame them.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:32 AM
RagnaViper is currently offline Click here to Send RagnaViper a Private Message Find more posts by RagnaViper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

And I proceed to tell you that your opinion of him being one of the worst lead players ever, is wrong.
And I proceeded to tell you it's not and then told you why based on FACTS.
quote:
Now that we've established that an opinion can be wrong, yours IS wrong. Why? Because you believe with confidence that King is one of the worst ever. Factually, he isn't.
Ok, FACTS. King plays his leads out of key. Do you even know what playing in key means? Good guitarists are able to do this. King has limited knowledge of scales. DO you know what scales are? King repeatedly plays random notes from various scales with no definition. Good guitarists are able to transition from and have knowledge of multiple scales.
quote:
Because worst ever would mean dreadful, horrific technique and inability to play the instrument, right? Right.
You do know I'm only talking about his lead playing, right? You do know I have said nothing about his rythem playing right [which him and jeff are about the best rythem combo out there]
quote:
Kerry King does not have any kind of inability to play guitar.
You wouldn't call someone with an inability to play it a guitarist, either.
quote:
So realistically if it became about all of the guitarists of ALL time, playing against each other. Would King be in the top half of the table, or the bottom?
Bottom, of course.
quote:
es the top. Factually proving that you are wrong.
Sorry, I just used FACTS about his ability to prove you wrong, lol.

quote:
If I believe the world was flat, and believe it with confidence, that's my opinion.
But it's been proven otherwise.
quote:
You can prove me wrong, therefore my opinion is wrong.
And therefore is NOT an opinion, by definition.
quote:
You believe Kerry King is one of the worst ever, not by fact, but by confidence.
No, by fact. Read above.
quote:
How do I know it's by confidence? Because you said yourself that there could very well be worse, you just haven't heard them.
That still wouldn't mean he isn't among the worst.
quote:
So you're pretty confident that there are none worse.
No, like I said, I'm sure there are n00bies out there who are worse, but it's easily stated that no one made a bigger name for himself with less talent.
quote:
Just like people were confident that the Earth was flat based on the fact that they didn't have enough knowledge.
Difference being thy had no reason to believe otherwise. We have plenty of reason to believe there are worse guitarists than king.
quote:
You don't have enough knowledge to say King is one of the worst ever, because I can prove that there are worse.
You can't prove it, you can say it with confidence wink

quote:
Read the above post then bring me a shiny apple in the morning.

-AC
Read this post and learn it and I'll let you out of detention.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:35 AM
jks

Originally posted by RagnaViper
[B]*sigh*

First of all, who gives a care about Tom Araya? He's the bassist. Oh, and vocals too but those aren't worth much mention either in this case. I'll agree with you on Kerry King though. The guy's an average guitarist. Not bad per se, but nothing special either. In fact, most would find it interesting to know that he had very little to do with Reign in Blood, which explains why it's their best record. :P
All of slayer's best songs were written by jeff.

quote:
Slayer's only worth something because of Dave. Cause you know, Dave's probably one of the best metal drummers around. The rest of the band I could care less about.
Dave is rediculous. It was amusing to hear him completely smoke lars playing battery when lars was sick a year or so ago.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:37 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

It doesn't matter if it's been proven otherwise. You are using circular logic. Facts and opinions aren't diametrically opposed.

You can have an opinion which follows the dictionary definition of one (as you would hope) which is factually wrong.

When an opinion is proved wrong, it doesn't stop being an opinion. It becomes an opinion which was wrong.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:38 AM
jks

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
It wasn't fact though, it was an opinion. How was it fact? It was a belief later proven to be fallacious.
It was a fact to them because of their limited knowledge. You couldn't say the opinion was wrong until it was proven otherwise.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:39 AM
jks

It doesn't matter if it's been proven otherwise. You are using circular logic. Facts and opinions aren't diametrically opposed.

You can have an opinion which follows the dictionary definition of one (as you would hope) which is factually wrong.

When an opinion is proved wrong, it doesn't stop being an opinion. It becomes an opinion which WAS wrong.
Was, not IS

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:40 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

So at the time it was held, it was wrong.

All follows nicely.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:41 AM
jks

So at the time it was held, it was wrong.

All follows nicely.
Not based on their knowledge.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:42 AM
Peach
mordrem

*raises hand*

I would like to interject with the fact that I have perfect pitch and as a result can always tell when people play/sing off-key...and I can say with confidence that King does NOT play all his leads off-key, as you claim he does.

I also would like to put in that anyone who makes music is a musician. Just as anyone who makes art is an artist, and anyone who writes is a writer/author.

I, for the record, am all three (though I haven't really done anything musical for years).

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:42 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote