KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Vh1 Top 100 Best Hard Rock Artists

Vh1 Top 100 Best Hard Rock Artists
Started by: Dr. Octagon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jks
It was a fact to them because of their limited knowledge. You couldn't say the opinion was wrong until it was proven otherwise.

So if I say God exists, it's a fact to me? What with the limited knowledge of his existence and all.

Or is it my opinion, IE a belief held with confidence but with no proof.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:43 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

Originally posted by Lana
[B]*raises hand*

I would like to interject with the fact that I have perfect pitch and as a result can always tell when people play off-key...and I can say with confidence that King does NOT play all his leads off-key, as you claim he does.
You're right, his solo in the song seasons of the abyss for example, but it is a fact that a majority of his solos are out of key.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:44 AM
jks is currently offline Click here to Send jks a Private Message Find more posts by jks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by jks
Not based on their knowledge.

It doesn't matter about their knowledge. That's their subjective learning. Fact is empirical.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:45 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
So if I say God exists, it's a fact to me? What with the limited knowledge of his existence and all.
To you, yes it would be, but that also goes into the whole faith thing.

quote:
Or is it my opinion, IE a belief held with confidence but with no proof.
That's the problem with religious topics, some people are unable to differentiate between fact and opinion and use the whole faith thing as a scapegoat.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:45 AM
jks is currently offline Click here to Send jks a Private Message Find more posts by jks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

Originally posted by jks
All of slayer's best songs were written by jeff.

Dave is rediculous. It was amusing to hear him completely smoke lars playing battery when lars was sick a year or so ago.

True, Jeff is easily the better musician.

With me though, Dave is the only reason I can tolerate Slayer's music. Oh, and Lars is really nothing special. He's good, but (unlike Dave Mustaine) he's an a-hole first and a musician second.

This sig was brought to you buy CorderaMitchell and Piggle. Blame them.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:46 AM
RagnaViper is currently offline Click here to Send RagnaViper a Private Message Find more posts by RagnaViper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
And I proceeded to tell you it's not and then told you why based on FACTS. Ok, FACTS. King plays his leads out of key. Do you even know what playing in key means? Good guitarists are able to do this. King has limited knowledge of scales. DO you know what scales are? King repeatedly plays random notes from various scales with no definition. Good guitarists are able to transition from and have knowledge of multiple scales. You do know I'm only talking about his lead playing, right? You do know I have said nothing about his rythem playing right [which him and jeff are about the best rythem combo out there] You wouldn't call someone with an inability to play it a guitarist, either.Bottom, of course. Sorry, I just used FACTS about his ability to prove you wrong, lol.

You didn't use facts about his ability, did you? You used opinion and in almost one paragraph you've done a complete and utter 180 degree spin from what you originally said.

Kerry King wouldn't come on the bottom half would he? Considering all the guitarists ever. To add to that, EVEN IF he did, he most CERTAINLY would never ever be in the league of being one of (yes, one OF) the worst lead guitarists of all time. You're drastically underrating and underecognising him.

Originally posted by jks
But it's been proven otherwise.

So my opinion was wrong, wasn't it? Yes. So that means an opinion can be wrong.

Originally posted by jks
And therefore is NOT an opinion, by definition.

It WAS an opinion. It's not anymore because it's been proven wrong. Proving? That opinions can be proven wrong.

Originally posted by jks
No, by fact. Read above.

No, by confidence.

Originally posted by jks
That still wouldn't mean he isn't among the worst.

If you believe in confidence, which you do, that he's among the worst, it's because you are basing it on what you know. Not fact. What means he isn't among the worst is the fact that he doesn't have the lack of quality that you would find in one of the worst guitarists ever.

Originally posted by jks
No, like I said, I'm sure there are n00bies out there who are worse, but it's easily stated that no one made a bigger name for himself with less talent.

Hahahaha. I said "So you're pretty confident that there are none worse." And you say "No, like I said, I'm sure...". What do you think being "sure" is? Being confident, you cretin.

Originally posted by jks
Difference being thy had no reason to believe otherwise. We have plenty of reason to believe there are worse guitarists than king.

You're proving my point. They were given reason to believe otherwise, weren't they? This proving their opinion wrong. Like I am to you.

Originally posted by jks
You can't prove it, you can say it with confidence wink

No, I can prove that when compared with King's technique, there are worse guitarists.

Originally posted by jks
Read this post and learn it and I'll let you out of detention.

Hahaha, coz that's like what I said.

You're done.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:46 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by jks
To you, yes it would be, but that also goes into the whole faith thing.

That's the problem with religious topics, some people are unable to differentiate between fact and opinion and use the whole faith thing as a scapegoat.

Yes, and faith is by definition opposed to fact. It's about trust and reliance.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:47 AM
jks

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
[B]You didn't use facts about his ability, did you?
Yes.
quote:
You used opinion
No. Please do yourself a favor and read up on guitar theory. Then, and only then, will you have anything credible to add.
quote:
and in almost one paragraph you've done a complete and utter 180 degree spin from what you originally said.
What I originally said: "king is about THE single worst lead player of all time" Notice I said NOTHING of his rythem ability in what I originally said.

I'm dropping the whole opinion thing because you just aren't grasping such a simple concept and getting back to the topic of musicianship and ability

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:52 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
Yes.

No you didn't. You named techniques and terms and your opinion of them.

Originally posted by jks
No. Please do yourself a favor and read up on guitar theory. Then, and only then, will you have anything credible to add.

How about proving me wrong, for a change?

Originally posted by jks
What I originally said: "king is about THE single worst lead player of all time" Notice I said NOTHING of his rythem ability in what I originally said.

He's not one of the worst ever, though. Factually.

Originally posted by jks
I'm dropping the whole opinion thing and getting back to the topic of musicianship and ability

Whooped.

E b b.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:55 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jks

How about proving me wrong, for a change?
Read above

quote:
He's not one of the worst ever, though. Factually.
Wrong, and reasons have been given to support this based on his actual ability. I mean it's kind of embarrassing, isn't it, that while I can say he is among the worst and cite his actual ability as evidence that you can only say "no he's not, FACT".

quote:
Whooped.

E b b.

-AC
Yup, how does THAT taste, lol.

Last edited by jks on Aug 18th, 2005 at 01:59 AM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:56 AM
jks

Originally posted by jks
Read above

Wrong, and reasons have been given to support this based on his actual ability. I mean it's kind of embarrassing, isn't it, that while I can say he is among the worst and cite his actual ability as evidence that you can only say "no he's not, FACT".

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:58 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
Read above

Hahaha, I just did.

So how about proving me wrong for a change?

Originally posted by jks
Wrong, and reasons have been given to support this based on his actual ability. I mean it's kind of embarrassing, isn't it, that while I can say he is among the worst and cite his actual ability as evidence that you can only say "no he's not, FACT

Yeah, your opinion of his ability. Your wrong opinion.

Your opinion is wrong, like the people who believed the Earth was flat, were wrong. Sure they believed it strong, but that didn't stop the FACT that the Earth is a sphere. You believe what you believe strong, you're wrong though. You're belief strength doesn't change that.

Originally posted by jks

I dunno, you were the one who got smacked. You were the one spending time claiming how an opinion can't be wrong only to be trampled.

How does it taste? Either way, lets save the embarassment of you and keep to actual musicianship shall we?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Aug 18th, 2005 at 02:02 AM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 01:59 AM
jks

[B]Hahaha, I just did.

So how about proving me wrong for a change?
Read above.

quote:
Yeah, your opinion of his ability. Your wrong opinion.
So tell me this, how is it that me, the one with far more knowledge on what scales, key and guitar theory are and have a better idea of king's ability than you am wrong. This should be good.

quote:
I dunno, you were the one who got smacked.
Lol, the posts say otherwise.
quote:
You were the one spending time claiming how an opinion can't be wrong only to be trampled.
No, an opinion CAN'T be wrong. And opinion COULD have been wrong at a time.

Either way, you are the one arguing that king isn't a bad lead player when you have no knowledge on the subject.

quote:
How does it taste? Either way, lets save the embarassment of you and keep to actual musicianship shall we?
Sure, so you can embarrass yourself further.

I just don't get it. I don't know anything about brain surgury other than what I see or hear on tv or whatever. I don't know anything about the techniques or skills involved, so I naturally wouldn't get into a discussion about who is a good brain surgeon, so why are you trying to argue who is a good guitarist when you don't know anyhting that goes into making someone a good guitarist?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:06 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by jks

No, an opinion CAN'T be wrong. And opinion COULD have been wrong at a time.

Come on. Surely you can't post that in good faith.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:09 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
Read above.

Yes, I did. Prove me wrong, don't just retort with "You don't have anything credible to add" considering a bulk of what you've been posting is wrong.

Originally posted by jks
So tell me this, how is it that me, the one with far more knowledge on what scales, key and guitar theory are and have a better idea of king's ability than you am wrong. This should be good.

Your opinion is that he is one of (that means all inclusive) the worst guitarists of ALL TIME. How can you be RIGHT? You cannot honestly believe that someone with the overall ability of King is one of the worst guitarists ever. He's not.

Originally posted by jks
Lol, the posts say otherwise. No, an opinion CAN'T be wrong. And opinion COULD have been wrong at a time.

You're actually beyond stupid. It's been factually proven with concrete evidence that an opinion can be wrong. Deal with it. I hate people like you who despite being factually, blatantly proven wrong, don't know when to admit it.

Originally posted by jks
Either way, you are the one arguing that king isn't a bad lead player when you have no knowledge on the subject.

You are the one arguing that he's one of the worst of all time, out of all the millions who have existed. What does that say for your knowledge? Nothing.

Originally posted by jks
Sure, so you can embarrass yourself further.

I just don't get it. I don't know anything about brain surgury other than what I see or hear on tv or whatever. I don't know anything about the techniques or skills involved, so I naturally wouldn't get into a discussion about who is a good brain surgeon, so why are you trying to argue who is a good guitarist when you don't know anyhting that goes into making someone a good guitarist?

Why are you assuming that I don't know what goes into making a good guitarist? Why are you assuming that?

You are sitting there claiming that King is one of the factual worst guitarists of all time, when he isn't. You have only used opinion to show why you believe that. Opinion that is wrong. And I've shown you WHY your opinion is wrong.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:14 AM
jks

The definition of opinion means it can't be proven.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:14 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by jks
The definition of opinion means it can't be proven.

That's not right though.

Medical opinion is constantly confirmed later by factual evidence, the same with scientific ideas. While they were empirically facts at the time, they were held as opinions by the holders due to their not having access to the evidence.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:17 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Opinion is a belief upheld with confidence.

So let's go back to the Earth example. Their opinion was that it was flat, they had no proof, but they believed it with confidence.

Someone came along with fact - which lest we forget, overrides confidence - and proved their opinion wrong.

Their opinion wasn't fact, until the evidence was produced. Because even when they believed the Earth was flat, it wasn't was it? The Earth has always been round. You can't say, with any truth, "It was fact to them." Because fact means undeniably true, able to be proven true. You can't prove the Earth is flat.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:18 AM
jks

ur teh wrongorz!!11!!

-AC
Ok, you're just dumb. I don't know how else to say it. I sit there and tell you what he can and more importantly can't do based on his ability, and yet you continually come back with "ur teh wrong. It's teh fact" over and over.......and over and over. What he can and can't do is FACT. What part of that do you not comprehend? I mean when I say he plays out of key, how is that opinion when we have PROOF that he does? Even if it were an opinion, how would it be wrong when we have PROOF. Have you ever listened to the solos on reign in blood that are kerry's?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:19 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by jks
Ok, you're just dumb. I don't know how else to say it. I sit there and tell you what he can and more importantly can't do based on his ability, and yet you continually come back with "ur teh wrong. It's teh fact" over and over.......and over and over.

Aww, he's upset.

I'm dumb? You've spent most of your posts insulting me in childish ways, holding onto an arguement that's wrong and continually putting opinion across as fact.

And YOU continually think that what you're telling me is total fact. You're telling me what he can do based upon what we've all heard. You believe based on what you've heard that he's one of the worst of all time and by the sheer scope of that claim. He isn't.

If you had a list of all the best, ranked on technical ability, he wouldn't be low. Or even if he was, it would be because of the amount of better guitarists. Not because he's crap.

Originally posted by jks
What he can and can't do is FACT.

YES! Exactly. What he can and can't do IS fact. Hence why him not being one of the worst is fact. Because his ability isn't as bad as you're claiming.

Originally posted by jks
What part of that do you not comprehend? I mean when I say he plays out of key, how is that opinion when we have PROOF that he does? Even if it were an opinion, how would it be wrong when we have PROOF. Have you ever listened to the solos on reign in blood that are kerry's?

Yes I have. How does any of this make him one of the worst guitarists ever, as opposed to one you just don't like?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:27 AM