KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Vh1 Top 100 Best Hard Rock Artists

Vh1 Top 100 Best Hard Rock Artists
Started by: Dr. Octagon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jks

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:31 AM
jks is currently offline Click here to Send jks a Private Message Find more posts by jks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Don't do that, you'll hurt yourself.

And I care about you.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 02:32 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jks
The definition of opinion means it can't be proven.

You're definition is fallacious.

There are plenty of opinions that can be proven and factually disproven.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2005 04:40 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pezmerga
Black Knight

Nope! Opinions Cannot be wrong. See you all are misinterpting what opinions and facts Acually are.

Fact : Knowledge or information based on real occurrences

Opinon : A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

So whats that mean? Facts can be wrong...but opions cannot. Because Opinions have no backing! They are individual beliefs. So therefore since everyone is different they are never wrong, but can be DIFFERENT.

ok here some examples of Facts that are wrong.
"The world is flat" "all dogs are hairless"
ok the first one is a little tricky...cuz shapes are a little tricky and can be subjective...but it has no words that suggest that its what the person thinks...now if i said "the world LOOKS flat" that would be an opinion, wouldnt be wrong cuz you cant see the world through my eyes =)

and the second one is easy,,, its a fact that is wrong. how can it be disproven? Go to a pet shop =P. why isnt it an opinion? Cuz obviously its not something that is subjective! No one is gonna argue that is being serious that a dog cant have fur if u walk ur dog with fur up to them!

ok here are some opinions that CAN NEVER be proven wrong...you can disagree, think something different, or hell Agree and say you are wrong...but yoyu arent. It's an opinion!
"I think Rap sucks" you can back it up with whatever you want to why you think differently, but you will never be able to say that statement is wrong. you dont hear the music through their ears!
ok here is a silly one...I think all dogs look like Marlon Brando! ...Cant prove it wrong....while we might not all think the same way, we cant....Liek i said before..see through THEIR eyes! To them , they might see Marlon Brando in every dog! Maybe it reminds them of a role he played? or something that they associated dogs with that particular actor! who knows....dont make them wrong...just means they think differently!

So therefore....OPINIONS and FACTS are two different things....and are confused ALOT. Its easy to misclassify a statement that is an opinion as a fact and say its wrong....and vice versa.
Thanks.... and THIS IS A TRUE FACT! =P hehe

and just for fun a fact that isnt true... "I own 10000 staplers!" =P
and an opinion that cant be wrong..."Queen is the "best" rock band to come out of England!" Best is an opinonated word! =P

and as for the list....Doors should be much much higher! and slayer is fine where its at,...and did i hear someone say Slipknot should be on there? dont think so...just my OPINION though =) but im guessing they took alot of peoples opinions on this...and thats what you should remember....this list wont reflect everyones opinion! like whatever bands you like! they are the best and you arent wrong!! but people can disagree! =P such is Diversity!

BTW Jks it is an opinion that he doesnt use good techniques as a lead guitarist....maybe other people hear stuff that you dont? /shrug....maybe some people think u dont need to use them techniques.... Im not disagreeing with you though, i havent heard much slayer. im just pointing out you are both arguing about nothing cuz you both have different opinions on the matter =) .......you can argue all day, but dont start saying well i have facts that state something is bad etc....that only works in business =P. like "You will lose money if you invest!!!" and even then ....the idea that losing money is bad ...is still an opinion! =)

Last edited by Pezmerga on Aug 21st, 2005 at 09:12 AM

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 09:05 AM
Pezmerga is currently offline Click here to Send Pezmerga a Private Message Find more posts by Pezmerga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The True Fear
Restricted

Account Restricted

gn'r should have been number 1

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 09:17 AM
The True Fear is currently offline Click here to Send The True Fear a Private Message Find more posts by The True Fear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Pezmerga
Nope! Opinions Cannot be wrong. See you all are misinterpting what opinions and facts Acually are.

Opinon : A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof.

So whats that mean? Facts can be wrong...but opions cannot. Because Opinions have no backing! They are individual beliefs. So therefore since everyone is different they are never wrong, but can be DIFFERENT.

ok the first one is a little tricky...cuz shapes are a little tricky and can be subjective...but it has no words that suggest that its what the person thinks...now if i said "the world LOOKS flat" that would be an opinion, wouldnt be wrong cuz you cant see the world through my eyes =)

and the second one is easy,,, its a fact that is wrong. how can it be disproven? Go to a pet shop =P. why isnt it an opinion? Cuz obviously its not something that is subjective! No one is gonna argue that is being serious that a dog cant have fur if u walk ur dog with fur up to them!

ok here are some opinions that CAN NEVER be proven wrong...you can disagree, think something different, or hell Agree and say you are wrong...but yoyu arent. It's an opinion!
"I think Rap sucks" you can back it up with whatever you want to why you think differently, but you will never be able to say that statement is wrong. you dont hear the music through their ears!
ok here is a silly one...I think all dogs look like Marlon Brando! ...Cant prove it wrong....while we might not all think the same way, we cant....Liek i said before..see through THEIR eyes! To them , they might see Marlon Brando in every dog! Maybe it reminds them of a role he played? or something that they associated dogs with that particular actor! who knows....dont make them wrong...just means they think differently!

So therefore....OPINIONS and FACTS are two different things....and are confused ALOT. Its easy to misclassify a statement that is an opinion as a fact and say its wrong....and vice versa.
Thanks.... and THIS IS A TRUE FACT! =P hehe

and just for fun a fact that isnt true... "I own 10000 staplers!" =P
and an opinion that cant be wrong..."Queen is the "best" rock band to come out of England!" Best is an opinonated word! =P

and as for the list....Doors should be much much higher! and slayer is fine where its at,...and did i hear someone say Slipknot should be on there? dont think so...just my OPINION though =) but im guessing they took alot of peoples opinions on this...and thats what you should remember....this list wont reflect everyones opinion! like whatever bands you like! they are the best and you arent wrong!! but people can disagree! =P such is Diversity!

BTW Jks it is an opinion that he doesnt use good techniques as a lead guitarist....maybe other people hear stuff that you dont? /shrug....maybe some people think u dont need to use them techniques.... Im not disagreeing with you though, i havent heard much slayer. im just pointing out you are both arguing about nothing cuz you both have different opinions on the matter =) .......you can argue all day, but dont start saying well i have facts that state something is bad etc....that only works in business =P. like "You will lose money if you invest!!!" and even then ....the idea that losing money is bad ...is still an opinion! =)

All of this and you're still wrong. Three people have already proved that opinion can be proven wrong with examples. Opinions can very often be proven wrong and you're hiding behind that whole "It's subjective" thing. Opinions are beliefs upheld with CONFIDENCE but no EVIDENCE. So if I provide evidence that proves you and your confidence wrong, your opinion is wrong.

What is it that you don't seem to understand about that?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 02:35 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

You are partially right. Opinions based upon things that can't be substantiated cannot be proven wrong.

As an opinion is someone's personal belief, they can personally believe in something that can be disproven. Those opinions(and that is what they are) can be proved wrong. It really is quite simple.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 02:57 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RagnaViper
Spoon-based Destruction

Originally posted by bardock
gn'r should have been number 1

(please log in to view the image)

This sig was brought to you buy CorderaMitchell and Piggle. Blame them.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 09:01 PM
RagnaViper is currently offline Click here to Send RagnaViper a Private Message Find more posts by RagnaViper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pezmerga
Black Knight

Alpha you are wrong buddy, no real opinion can be wrong. People can change their minds, but still.

I saw someone say "i believe in God" as an opinion...Thats not an opinion its a Fact. its not how they feel about God or percieve God, its A Fact about themselves and their personal beliefs!

and you say its a fact you can point out WORSE Guitarists....thats not a fact, its an opinion. you could say your uncle bob is worse, but what if i really love your uncle bob's playing? see...just different OPINIONS.
I dont care that much, im not gonna Quote the FACTS you disproved , thinking they were opinions....cuz its really pointless. FACT is...people on Messageboards will argue no MATTER what , why? Because sometimes it can be entertaining (Opinion)!

and the whole "the world is flat" is a FACT FACT FACT...Just a Disproven FACT!!! =)

Actually i tell you what, come up with an OPINION, not a Fact...that you can prove wrong, and I will say you all are completely right!

Last edited by Pezmerga on Aug 21st, 2005 at 10:54 PM

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 10:51 PM
Pezmerga is currently offline Click here to Send Pezmerga a Private Message Find more posts by Pezmerga Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Alpha you are wrong buddy, no real opinion can be wrong. People can change their minds, but still.

I saw someone say "i believe in God" as an opinion...Thats not an opinion its a Fact. its not how they feel about God, its a statement about something based on information!

and you say its a fact you can point out WORSE Guitarists....thats not a fact, its an opinion. you could say your uncle bob is worse, but what if i really love your uncle bob's playing? see...just different OPINIONS.
I dont care that much, im not gonna Quote the FACTS you disproved , thinking they were opinions....cuz its really pointless. FACT is...people on Messageboards will argue no MATTER what , why? Because sometimes it can be entertaining (Opinion)!

and the whole "the world is flat" is a FACT FACT FACT...Just a Disproven FACT!!! =)

Actually i tell you what, come up with an OPINION, not a Fact...that you can prove wrong, and I will say you all are completely right!

Seriously now, what is it that you people do not understand?

The ONLY opinion that cannot be proven wrong is one that is based upon something that cannot be substantiated.

If my opinion is that a guitarist is better, I can prove it because technique is measurable and therefore provable.

If someone's opinion is that the Earth is flat, they believe that with confidence. I can prove them wrong. So their opinion is wrong. It's not a fact that the Earth is flat is it you cretin? It's not flat. If it's a fact, it can't be proven wrong. If it's been disproven, it's been proven wrong. So it's an opinion isn't it? Jesus.

Please learn this.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Aug 21st, 2005 at 11:00 PM

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 10:55 PM
Morgoths_Wrath

you know what they say about opinions...

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 10:56 PM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pezmerga
Black Knight

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Seriously now, what is it that you people do not understand?

The ONLY opinion that cannot be proven wrong is one that is based upon something that cannot be substantiated.

If my opinion is that a guitarist is better, I can prove it because technique is measurable and therefore provable.

If someone's opinion is that the Earth is flat, they believe that with confidence. I can prove them wrong. So their opinion is wrong. It's not a fact that the Earth is flat is it you cretin? It's not flat. If it's a fact, it can't be proven wrong. If it's been disproven, it's been proven wrong. So it's an opinion isn't it? Jesus.

Please learn this.

-AC

Why Resort to name Calling? The Statement "The Earth is Flat" was a fact...its just a DISPROVEN FACT, In other words...IT WAS A THEORY!!!!!!. Itll never be an opinion. not by true definition of the word.

AND FACTS CAN BE PROVEN WRONG

And Technique might not be everyones deciding factor on a good guitar player! ITS STILL AN OPINION GET OVER YOURSELF! =)
You dont get to decide who everyone thinks is good or bad.

and TRUE opinions CANNOT be substantiated! The only person that can "disprove an opinion" is the person that had it in the first place!!! but then again its not really disproving if they really felt that way, than thats how they felt, they just CHANGED their opinion.

a fact is a Statement or thought thats truth can be "verified". An opinion is a belief or judgment that "cannot be verified". If you cant verify something....you cant prove it wrong....and remember IM talking about THE TRUE DEFINITION opinon!!! You guys arent disproving True Opinions. They are Facts, or Theories, not opinions.

Please Refrain from name calling btw. I haven't called you a name.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 11:16 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why Resort to name Calling? The Statement "The Earth is Flat" was a fact...its just a DISPROVEN FACT, In other words...IT WAS A THEORY!!!!!!. Itll never be an opinion. not by true definition of the word.

Let's think about what you are trying to say.

You are trying to claim that the Earth, at one point, was scientifically and factually flat? Not sphere? Let's actually think about that.

AND FACTS CAN BE PROVEN WRONG

They can't. I refuse, REFUSE to believe you are this stupid. That's NO insult at all.

And Technique might not be everyones deciding factor on a good guitar player! ITS STILL AN OPINION GET OVER YOURSELF! =)
You dont get to decide who everyone thinks is good or bad.

If we're discussing technique, it's provable. If we're discussing who makes better music, you are correct. Because that can't be substantiated.

and TRUE opinions CANNOT be substantiated! The only person that can "disprove an opinion" is the person that had it in the first place!!! but then again its not really disproving if they really felt that way, than thats how they felt, they just CHANGED their opinion.

No, you're being really really silly. Read what I said past posts about the Earth being flat.

You are sitting there, sanely proposing that opinions can't be wrong, facts can be disproved and that the Earth is flat. What is actually going on?

a fact is a Statement or thought thats truth can be "verified". An opinion is a belief or judgment that "cannot be verified". If you cant verify something....you cant prove it wrong....and remember IM talking about THE TRUE DEFINITION opinon!!! You guys arent disproving True Opinions. They are Facts, or Theories, not opinions.

Please Refrain from name calling btw. I haven't called you a name.

An opinion is (for the last freaking time) a belief UPHELD WITH CONFIDENCE. That's ALL it is.

So whatever someone believes with confidence, is their opinion. If it happens to be on a subject where I can prove wrong their confidence, it's proven the opinion wrong.

Seriously feeling my brain cells die when you reply to me.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 11:21 PM
Peach
mordrem

quote:

Okay, just gotta ask where the hell you got this from. It's a disproven fact, therefore it was a theory? No! Science doesn't work that way! Something doesn't because a theory UNTIL there is a substantial amount of evidence to back it up. People thought the earth was flat, but they had no evidence that said so. Something does not become FACT until there is an irrefutable amount of evidence that supports it.

And an opinion based on wrongful information can indeed be a wrong opinion, sorry to inform you.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 11:23 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Did he actual say the Earth was flat, by fact?

Or did I dream it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 11:24 PM
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Did he actual say the Earth was flat, by fact?

Or did I dream it.

-AC

Yeah, he did. I had to reread that one myself in disbelief.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 11:26 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pezmerga
Black Knight

Originally posted by Lana
Okay, just gotta ask where the hell you got this from. It's a disproven fact, therefore it was a theory? No! Science doesn't work that way! Something doesn't because a theory UNTIL there is a substantial amount of evidence to back it up. People thought the earth was flat, but they had no evidence that said so. Something does not become FACT until there is an irrefutable amount of evidence that supports it.

And an opinion based on wrongful information can indeed be a wrong opinion, sorry to inform you.

ITS NOT AN OPINION , now if it were worded "I "THINK" The world "LOOKS" Flat..or is flat....then ok..... BUT THEORIES CAN BE DISPROVEN!!!!!!!!! DUH DUH DUH THEORIES ARE NOT SET IN STONE!!!!

THE WORLD IS FLAT WAS A THEORY HERE WE GO...

7 entries found for Theory.
the·o·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-r, thîr)
n. pl. the·o·ries
A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.
The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice: a fine musician who had never studied theory.
A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of mathematics.
Abstract reasoning; speculation: a decision based on experience rather than theory.
A belief or principle that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: staked out the house on the theory that criminals usually return to the scene of the crime.
An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.

When they said the world is Flat....it was an ASSUMPTION based on limited information or knowledge...does that not in defintion make it a THEORY THEN? Why yes it does!

i already told you opinions are thoughts or judgements whose truths cannot be Verified.
The world is flat isnt an opinion. because that truth can be verified!!! we take pictures from space to disprove it. so by definition it isnt an opinion.

Last edited by Pezmerga on Aug 21st, 2005 at 11:53 PM

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 11:48 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

ITS NOT AN OPINION , now if it were worded "I "THINK" The world "LOOKS" Flat..or is flat....then ok..... BUT THEORIES CAN BE DISPROVEN!!!!!!!!! DUH DUH DUH THEORIES ARE NOT SET IN STONE!!!!

THE WORLD IS FLAT WAS A THEORY HERE WE GO...

Oh my....no actual way.

The Earth has never been flat, has it? No. So therefore, those who believed it was (with confidence, because they had no proof) were wrong.

7 entries found for Theory.
the·o·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (th-r, thîr)
n. pl. the·o·ries
A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.
The branch of a science or art consisting of its explanatory statements, accepted principles, and methods of analysis, as opposed to practice: a fine musician who had never studied theory.
A set of theorems that constitute a systematic view of a branch of mathematics.
Abstract reasoning; speculation: a decision based on experience rather than theory.
A belief or principle that guides action or assists comprehension or judgment: staked out the house on the theory that criminals usually return to the scene of the crime.
An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture.
When they said the world is Flat....it was an ASSUMPTION based on limited information or knowledge...does that not in defintion make it a THEORY THEN? Why yes it does!

For crying out loud.

Listen, we've established that the Earth isn't flat (I hope to God we have). We've established that the people who believed so, believed it with CONFIDENCE because they couldn't prove it. Right? Making it an opinion. Yes.

So then, if someone came along with evidence that disproved what they believed, it means their opinion (belief, upheld with confidence) was wrong doesn't it?

Yes, it does.

End of discussion.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 11:52 PM
Pezmerga
Black Knight

Well you are still not reading what im saying, I know the world isnt flat. but that dont mean that was an opinion. it was a theory, cuz by definition it cannot be an opinion cuz its truth can be verified. you just keep repeating urself, actually read what i say please. your making it sound liek i think the world is flat i never said i thought that. I know it isnt.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 11:55 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well you are still not reading what im saying, I know the world isnt flat. but that dont mean that was an opinion. it was a theory, cuz by definition it cannot be an opinion cuz its truth can be verified. you just keep repeating urself, actually read what i say please. your making it sound liek i think the world is flat i never said i thought that. I know it isnt.

Ok, you don't think the world is flat.

We both understand that an opinion is a belief upheld by confidence don't we? But with no substantial proof, don't we? Well they believed the Earth was flat with confidence but no substantial proof.

They were proven wrong.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2005 11:57 PM