KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Game Ideas

Game Ideas
Started by: dave123

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (27): « First ... « 19 20 [21] 22 23 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Padawan Obi-Wan
But would it be reward to change the past, and would it matter when the game still rewards you at the end of the quest maybe by you ultimately finding success in what you are doing? I disagree there are lots of games that prevent you form doing stuff, whether its going somewhere or being able to do something. Gamers don;t get hung up on small stuff like that. If the game at the ending completely shits on all the effort you put into it, then that is something else.

You just said the game world thwarts the actual attempts to change the past. You're going to have to be more clear, because it seems like you just said differing things.

I still think it would be really cool. Just imagine; you know you need to prevent your previous actions to save the one you love. You travel back in time. You feel like you are literally in shouting distance of your past player. And no matter how hard you try to reach him, to catch his attention, to sotp him, tpo even slightly alter your original gameplay experience, the game uses something to stop you. Of course this is just a concept. It would be up to scenario designer to work out the details.

So you get to watch a tragedy happen, and are powerless to stop it? That just makes it essentially a movie, which kinda defeats the whole interactivity aspect of games.

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 07:29 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

The easy solution here is just to ditch your whole "the universe stops you" bit. Just make a time paradox-ish reason that you can't directly interact with your past self, but then let your character run amok in the past. Suddenly, you can change things that you've already played through, and it becomes instantly cooler. I could see a good action/adventure game coming out of that.

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 07:32 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Padawan Obi-Wan
Restricted

Account Restricted

1. Yeah but that is just the story motive at the time. The game isn't punishing you just by taking you through a story that has its ups and downs. And lots of games apply limitations on what you can do or achieve. This is no different and it isn;t usually a problem.

2. Well it's basically interactivity in reverse, the shadow of interactivity. The scene you are viewing was itself itneractive, as you are watching your very own in game experience. And aside form you being unable to change it, your attempts at changing it itself can be done in a number of ways and the game will be utilising different circumstances to prevent you from doing it, which is also interactive. That you ultimately fail to prevent it cnnot change, but no game is fully interactive, and i feel this would be a good moment to perhaps communicate the theme of not being able to change time. Having it be your veyr own in-game activity that you cannot change could also speak a powerful message, and tie it more strongly to your character not being able to undo the past.

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 07:36 PM
Padawan Obi-Wan is currently offline Click here to Send Padawan Obi-Wan a Private Message Find more posts by Padawan Obi-Wan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

1. Yeah but that is just the story motive at the time. The game isn't punishing you just by taking you through a story that has its ups and downs. And lots of games apply limitations on what you can do or achieve. This is no different and it isn;t usually a problem.

But you're talking about doing nothing. "Limitations" doesn't mean "powerlessness" and most of game design revolves around trying to create satisfying achievements of some kind for the player. It will be quickly established that you can't do anything, which in itself will be somewhat frustrating because why plunk the player down in an environment only to watch something they already played through? At that point, it's just a redundant cutscene.

Again, since I don't seem to be convincing to you, find a game developer and run this idea by them. Even something that might seem interesting to you isn't necessarily good game design. Doing this once or twice in a game wouldn't affect it, but making it a large mechanic would be awful.

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 09:44 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

I kind of like the idea of time travel like this - where you can see your own in-game interactions as you try to alter the events. However, I'm with Digi in that you'd need some kind of reward for your objective of altering events you have already played through. This means you'd need to actually be able to manipulate situations and have essentially a butterfly effect on your own life/game.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 10:01 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Padawan Obi-Wan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
But you're talking about doing nothing. "Limitations" doesn't mean "powerlessness" and most of game design revolves around trying to create satisfying achievements of some kind for the player. It will be quickly established that you can't do anything, which in itself will be somewhat frustrating because why plunk the player down in an environment only to watch something they already played through? At that point, it's just a redundant cutscene.

Again, since I don't seem to be convincing to you, find a game developer and run this idea by them. Even something that might seem interesting to you isn't necessarily good game design. Doing this once or twice in a game wouldn't affect it, but making it a large mechanic would be awful.

I wasn't saying that the entire game would be built about the idea at all. It could just serve as a powerful moment as part of the story to indicate that history really can't be changed, time travel or otherwise. Any intervention one might try and make through time travel already did in fact take place, and went side by side whatever else did. Obviously having the entire game built around travelling through time and making futile attempts at chaning it would be kind of pointless... but that is not what I was saying.

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 10:09 PM
Padawan Obi-Wan is currently offline Click here to Send Padawan Obi-Wan a Private Message Find more posts by Padawan Obi-Wan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Padawan Obi-Wan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Blair Wind
I kind of like the idea of time travel like this - where you can see your own in-game interactions as you try to alter the events. However, I'm with Digi in that you'd need some kind of reward for your objective of altering events you have already played through. This means you'd need to actually be able to manipulate situations and have essentially a butterfly effect on your own life/game.

Thanks. big grin

Well the way I see it is that, on some level, the reward mechanism of videogame design in encouraging continuing enthusiasm for the game does work, in parts, but I don;t think you have to analyse every single component of a game in those terms to see if they would work. Sometimes it can just be a matter of playing through a storyline that can keep the player interested in the game, and as I was saying to Digi it wouldn't be what the entire game was about, but it could be a powerful message of the idea that you can't change history, in actually observing your very own former interactions, and then actively attempting to interrupt them, with the game setting up obstacles that prevent you from doing it.

And I think the main problem with actually being able to alter events in this way is that it takes away from the idea of witnessing your very own in-game actions, as when you itnerrupt them they would then proceed to be AI controlled, unless you just kill them on sight or something, but anything where your past character would react to what you're doing wouldn;t really work.

Old Post May 2nd, 2012 10:15 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I do agree time travel is a potentially cool game mechanic, to be clear. More games should utilize it.

I wasn't saying that the entire game would be built about the idea at all. It could just serve as a powerful moment as part of the story to indicate that history really can't be changed, time travel or otherwise. Any intervention one might try and make through time travel already did in fact take place, and went side by side whatever else did. Obviously having the entire game built around travelling through time and making futile attempts at chaning it would be kind of pointless... but that is not what I was saying.

I realize it wouldn't be the whole game, but you played it up as a major sticking point. 1-2 times, fine. Any more than that, you might as well be making cut scenes.

Old Post May 3rd, 2012 12:09 AM
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

a GTA style Blade video game.
with a combat system like assassins creed titles
variety of vampire killing weapons/guns

but most importantly i want Blade to be acrobatic and good with parkour & freerunning .but work it so that most of the time you'll chose to drive rather freerun like say for instance chasing someone who's in a vehicle thats slightly faster than you can run. you can chase them down on foot. but chasing someone down who's in a vehicle much faster than you can run. you'd chose a vehicle.
chasing groups of vampires across rooftops & such to show off his speed & nimble - ness lol

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post May 5th, 2012 07:39 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DragonRider19
Kurt Phucking Angle

Marvel Fighting Game.

The Roster. 40 heroes 10 villians. (Playable)
Unlocked by doing challenges
1.Hulk
2.Ironman
3.Thor
4.Captain America
5.Spiderman
6.Wolverine
7.Silver Surfer
8.Gladiator
9.Sentry
10.Beta Ray Bill
11.Cyclops
12.Colossus
13.Iceman
14.Deadpool
15.Namor
16.Black Panther
17.Ms Marvel
18.Thing
19.Mr Fantastic
20.Invisible Woman
21.Human Torch
22.Dr Strange
23.Quasar
24.Nova
25.Ronan
26.Ghost Rider
27.Starlord
28.Groot
29.Rocket Racoon
30.Drax
31.Gamora
32.Storm
33.Blackbolt
34. Vision
35.Rulk
36.War Machine
37.Nate Grey
38.Vulcan
39.Jean Grey
40.Ant Man
41.Loki
42.Dr Doom
43.Magneto
44.Ultron
45.Green Goblin
46.Super Skrull
47.Venom
48.Mandarin
49.Red Skull
50.Juggernaut

Gameplay:
It will be a fighting game but not like MvC or Mortal Kombat.
More Like DBZ or Marvel Nemesis. (Dynamic, Not one sided)
However since some characters can fly and some cant it would be uneven so to help balance it out, while a character is flying shields or blocking cannot be used and grounded characters can dodge easily.
Each character would have special abilities(iron man can absorb 10% of energy attacks for example)

Maps: Some big, some small. Based on marvel locations; asgard, stark tower, wakanda, attilan, shield helicarrier.

Game Modes:
Story Mode: Just like MK, with cut scenes inbetween matches for the story
1vs1, 2vs2!
Survival: pick up to 4 characters and fight waves of enemy's until you die
Boss Fights: pick up to 4 characters and fight powerful Enemys (Thanos, Destroyer, Fin Fang Foom, etc)

HUD: you'll have a stamina bar which runs low from using physical attacks. Recharges
Energy bar runs low from using energy attacks. Recharges
Health: runs low from taking damage.

The Ankle Butcher, Patriotic Entity,
Earths Mightiest Hero, KURT PHUCKING ANGLE.

Last edited by DragonRider19 on Nov 7th, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Old Post Nov 7th, 2012 11:00 AM
DragonRider19 is currently offline Click here to Send DragonRider19 a Private Message Find more posts by DragonRider19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DragonRider19
Kurt Phucking Angle

Any ideas or adjustments?
I tried to balance the roster with well known+unknown characters.

The Ankle Butcher, Patriotic Entity,
Earths Mightiest Hero, KURT PHUCKING ANGLE.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2012 11:11 AM
DragonRider19 is currently offline Click here to Send DragonRider19 a Private Message Find more posts by DragonRider19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

Blade game assassins creed 3 style with cars, gta style open world

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 05:12 PM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bro SMASH

Originally posted by armedforbattle
Any ideas or adjustments?
I tried to balance the roster with well known+unknown characters.

What about Psylocke?

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/358/5/d/ultimate_crossover_by_vanishingwalker-d5kg5ey.jpg

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2013 05:16 PM
Bro SMASH is currently offline Click here to Send Bro SMASH a Private Message Find more posts by Bro SMASH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I remember recently seeing a trailer for a game but I can't recall the name.

It was first person, in space, you were a bounty hunter chasing this alien through a dark metropolis. When you finally catch up to him, a disk is attached and he seems to be teleported, then you get a pop up saying bounty delivered or what not.

That sound familiar to anyone?

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 10:30 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Are you sure it was first person? The bounty systems sounds a lot like Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 11:02 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus

It was first person, in space, you were a bounty hunter chasing this alien through a dark metropolis. When you finally catch up to him, a disk is attached and he seems to be teleported, then you get a pop up saying bounty delivered or what not.

That sound familiar to anyone?

Sounds like a trailer for Prey 2.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2013 11:17 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

Originally posted by Kazenji
Sounds like a trailer for Prey 2.

Yup that's the one thanks.

Been really busy with school/work lately so I didn't have time to dig for it myself.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2013 03:00 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ebrown

Sandbox in prison. Who's with me?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2013 02:02 PM
ebrown is currently offline Click here to Send ebrown a Private Message Find more posts by ebrown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Yup that's the one thanks.

Been really busy with school/work lately so I didn't have time to dig for it myself.

I think its been delayed or something

should'eve been released last year.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2013 12:02 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JohnathanP

They announced Thief4, team who made new Deus Ex working on it! Wooot! Its the best game idea in my mind eek! eek! eek!

Old Post Mar 5th, 2013 09:16 PM
JohnathanP is currently offline Click here to Send JohnathanP a Private Message Find more posts by JohnathanP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote