KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Eternal Sunshine of Guy222's Mind

Eternal Sunshine of Guy222's Mind
Started by: Youma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15142): « First ... « 15121 15122 [15123] 15124 15125 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
BtAs is better than the source material.

Much of it, yes. The best Batman comics hold up, though. For example, The Long Halloween remains one of my favorite comics of all-time, from any company. And it's not necessarily even considered the best of the Batman stuff.

Originally posted by JayDaDon
I can't oversell it here...Spectacular is one of the very best portrayals of the character ever, besides the comics themselves. As a Spider-man fan, you may want to check it out.

Hmm.

thumb up

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 01:48 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Just finished S1 of The Good Place.

If you like great tv comedy, you should check it out.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 02:04 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

For the Spiderman fans...what were your thoughts on Homecoming? I honestly didnt care for Holland but i do admit his acting was good. I also liked his supporting cast. Also did it feel like a genuine Spiderman story?

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 02:12 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Sin I AM
For the Spiderman fans...what were your thoughts on Homecoming? I honestly didnt care for Holland but i do admit his acting was good. I also liked his supporting cast. Also did it feel like a genuine Spiderman story?

Holland's fine. A good choice for the role. And the movie was good. Marvel's issue is that they're starting to get a little too cute with their universe. Winks and nods to the fandom, the larger cinematic universe, and pithy jokes are starting to replace substance. Guardians was tailor-made for that sort of sh*t, but Spidey should be able to stand on his own more. But they seem to be letting Guardians's influence leak into other movies (probably Ragnarok too, if the trailers are any indication). Story should always come before world-building, and they're occasionally guilty of swapping the two. You can hate on the Tobey portrayal, for example, but no one can claim SM1 and 2 weren't great standalone Spider-Man films. I'm not sure Homecoming can quite say the same.

The recreation of ASM #33 under the rubble was done nicely. Outside of Gwen, that was Spidey's defining moment in the early years of his comics.

My other issue is more outside the film itself. I knew way too much going in, from the trailers that shared too much of the plot and major moments. A lot of the suspense and excitement was gone as a result. I've sworn off comic trailers at this point, but will still get occasional spoilers via tactless headlines and random KMC talk. That's ok, but they need to get better about holding back the coolest stuff. It sapped a lot of the energy from my theater experience.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 03:45 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maxivitopowe
Herr Universem

Originally posted by marwash22
yup. Very cool show.

Season 2 starts on the 14th

Yup, can't wait

Ignore list : BoardWalker

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:30 PM
maxivitopowe is currently offline Click here to Send maxivitopowe a Private Message Find more posts by maxivitopowe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maxivitopowe
Herr Universem

Originally posted by Digi
Holland's fine. A good choice for the role. And the movie was good. Marvel's issue is that they're starting to get a little too cute with their universe. Winks and nods to the fandom, the larger cinematic universe, and pithy jokes are starting to replace substance. Guardians was tailor-made for that sort of sh*t, but Spidey should be able to stand on his own more. But they seem to be letting Guardians's influence leak into other movies (probably Ragnarok too, if the trailers are any indication). Story should always come before world-building, and they're occasionally guilty of swapping the two. You can hate on the Tobey portrayal, for example, but no one can claim SM1 and 2 weren't great standalone Spider-Man films. I'm not sure Homecoming can quite say the same.

The recreation of ASM #33 under the rubble was done nicely. Outside of Gwen, that was Spidey's defining moment in the early years of his comics.

My other issue is more outside the film itself. I knew way too much going in, from the trailers that shared too much of the plot and major moments. A lot of the suspense and excitement was gone as a result. I've sworn off comic trailers at this point, but will still get occasional spoilers via tactless headlines and random KMC talk. That's ok, but they need to get better about holding back the coolest stuff. It sapped a lot of the energy from my theater experience.

Pretty much agree with this

Still Garfield as Spiderman, though Holland is better at playing both Peter and Spidey, where the previous two were goodat one or the other.

I was disappointed in how much Tony Stark there was though

Ignore list : BoardWalker

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:40 PM
maxivitopowe is currently offline Click here to Send maxivitopowe a Private Message Find more posts by maxivitopowe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by maxivitopowe
Pretty much agree with this

Still Garfield as Spiderman, though Holland is better at playing both Peter and Spidey, where the previous two were goodat one or the other.

I was disappointed in how much Tony Stark there was though

I dont know how I felt about Stark. I honestly wished someone else filled the role

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 04:55 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Hero Class

Originally posted by Digi
Much of it, yes. The best Batman comics hold up, though. For example, The Long Halloween remains one of my favorite comics of all-time, from any company. And it's not necessarily even considered the best of the Batman stuff.

Hmm.

thumb up

I'm going to take you literally and point out Long Halloween came out after BtAS, so it cannot properly be considered a proper source

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 06:27 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I'm going to take you literally and point out Long Halloween came out after BtAS, so it cannot properly be considered a proper source

Huh. Didn't realize. But thumb up

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 06:30 PM
Bentley
Hero Class

Ultimately I agree though, there are so many Batman comics out there that some are bound to be pretty good. Also the fact you have a myriad of artists depicting héroes in mainstream comics makes them feel richer and more original.

I don't have any example in mind though.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 06:39 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JayDaDon
G.O.A.T Ranger

Originally posted by marwash22
i disagree. The fight scenes were incredibly well animated, smooth.

wrong.

You can't lump SMS in with EMH. You're conflating art design with lazy animation. SMS and EMH may have shared similar art design, but the animation of EMH was based on symmetrical drawings that are easier to mirror in the animation process, meaning the animators had a lot less work to do... that's not the case with SMS. SMS did not use cycled animation like EMH, and none of the animation flaws of EMH are present in SMS. SMS had some of the smoothest animation of it's time... which is why i like it and YJ more than EMH.

EMH had epic fights, sure, but the animation of those fights was poor at best. If you watch fight scenes in EMH, you'll notice rapid cuts all over the place because the animators only drew a select number of frames, making the animation choppy... which they compensated for by using the previously mention editing cuts.

(please log in to view the image)

look at the smooth animation in that gif., YJ was animated on at least 45fps you won't find that in EMH.

there are no cycles in that animation. no edits to hide missing frames.

your "epic" argument is like saying one of the Transformer movies had better fights than The Raid 2.

I found the animation in both ssm and ehm to be very smooth. Even the fights in JLU were more memorable to me than yj. There's more that goes into an action scene than just how smooth the animation is. That Graviton fight in emh definitely qualifies as epic. And again the two shows are VERY much like comparing apples and oranges. I would rather watch jlu over yj and in my book EMH is neck and neck with jlu.

Last edited by JayDaDon on Oct 6th, 2017 at 07:27 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 07:23 PM
JayDaDon is currently offline Click here to Send JayDaDon a Private Message Find more posts by JayDaDon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

That's a long ass post just to be wrong.

Anyway, I'm glad all real people agree that EHM >>>> YJ forever.

Even myself who likes DC significantly more than Marvel in the past several years can see that.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 08:37 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

Yeah, but no. Young Justice is so good it's getting a third seasons because the fans demanded it.

Is EMH coming back? No.

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 08:44 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

Blame Disney for killing it early and replacing it with a worse show, and it being on a channel (Disney XD) that fewer people have than Cartoon network.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 08:50 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

For sure.

And also of being all around of a lower quality. thumb up

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 08:58 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

Nah.

Massively better action all around than the tepidness that is YJ.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 09:02 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Ultimately I agree though, there are so many Batman comics out there that some are bound to be pretty good. Also the fact you have a myriad of artists depicting héroes in mainstream comics makes them feel richer and more original.

I don't have any example in mind though

Batman's one of the better characters for such things. The Killing Joke, Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Knight Strikes Back (and "...Strikes Again") among others I'm forgetting. Lots of great self-contained stories that really, really get to heart of what most of us think of as what Batman represents. Give me Conroy voicing Bats with a 2.5 hour rendition of Long Halloween and I'd be in heaven. Unfortunately, Nolan borrowed pretty heavily from it (with Two-Face, primarily) so they probably wouldn't want to do it.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 09:09 PM
JayDaDon
G.O.A.T Ranger

Originally posted by Blair Wind
Yeah, but no. Young Justice is so good it's getting a third seasons because the fans demanded it.

Is EMH coming back? No.

Thats not really fair. Marvel gets sick sexual pleasure from withholding what the fans really want. The thing i've always respected about dc is they run their shit like an actual business.

Last edited by JayDaDon on Oct 6th, 2017 at 10:20 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 10:16 PM
JayDaDon is currently offline Click here to Send JayDaDon a Private Message Find more posts by JayDaDon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

As far as batman goes are his self-contained storylines the most successful?

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 10:24 PM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by CosmicComet
That's a long ass post just to be wrong.

Anyway, I'm glad all real people agree that EHM >>>> YJ forever.

Even myself who likes DC significantly more than Marvel in the past several years can see that.
a lot of people believe the Earth is flat and that there's an omnipotent force in the sky responsible for creating the universe...

basically, fck your beliefs.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 10:26 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote