KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » USH's Game - Lightsaber Forms?

Which lightsaber form does your character use?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Shii-Cho 3 7.89%
Makashi 4 10.53%
Soresu - Sokan 4 10.53%
Ataru 5 13.16%
Djem So - Shien 2 5.26%
Niman - Kai-Kan 5 13.16%
Juyo - Vaapad 6 15.79%
Jar'Kai 9 23.68%
Total: 38 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

USH's Game - Lightsaber Forms?
Started by: Captain REX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Just so you know what I am talking about... using kendo/kenjitsu terms here, the main inspiration for the film fights...

Here is my 'Spot the Master' competition.

This is the moment they sense danger on the Federation ship in TPM.

On the right, Qui-Gon has drawn his guard he uses throughout the film- known as the 'Hasso' guard. Hasso was a form of guard originally developed by the Samurai whose helmets were big enough to get in the way of most traiditonal guards, so they held the sword to the side of their head instead. QGJ uses this rather well to keep his vision clear.

On the left, Obi-Wan- who uses a max and match style in the film- is here using a guard known as the 'prat' guard. Some form of perversion of the middle guard known as 'chudan', his... 'unique' trick here is to hold his guard in front of his face. Thus making sure that half of his field of vision is full of glowing lightsabre, so effectively he can't see a damn thing.

Smart.

Attachment: kamaes.jpg
This has been downloaded 104 time(s).

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Sep 5th, 2005 at 05:25 PM

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 10:25 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bespin Bart
Buggy

I totally agree. Xeth should try Ben's stance more often. no expression

Though, I was expecting Ush to say something too... stick out tongue

My money is on that Kuylen would have used Makashi, though... whistle

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 10:37 AM
Bespin Bart is currently offline Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trickster
True KMC Jester

Shii-Cho or Makashi for Tanic, I guess.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 12:25 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

yea OB1 looks like a dumbass there

I wonder if it was a fluke by McGregor or just GL showing us that OB1 ain't there yet.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 02:09 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jazzman_78
Jedi

Well, as much weapons training as was present between Gillard and Park, I'm betting it was intentional. The behind-the-scenes previews and DVD commentary content were full of Lucas and Gillard talking about the 'realism' of the lightsaber fights they constructed. And Ush, I remember Gillard actually saying in TPM's DVD that the fighting style had a little tennis in there.

That combined with Obi-Wan shorting out his saber in the water makes me think that it was again to show Obi-Wan's still in development.

'Jedi are at their best when things don't go as planned.' - Anakin Skywalker, whom we now know never met Andro Fenris.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 03:17 PM
Jazzman_78 is currently offline Click here to Send Jazzman_78 a Private Message Find more posts by Jazzman_78 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, it DOES have a little tennis in there. My talk on how the lightsabre fighting works all comes from Gillard. You misunderstand me, I feel- I was in absolutely no way criticising Nick at all; I think he is fantastic.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 05:12 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

You know, I've never thought about that before, but now that I do, I can see the tennis thing with how they fight...I dunno why I never noticed it before, being as I've played tennis most of my life and it's the only sport that I'm really good at...but yeah, now that I think about it, I can see that.

And for some reason that picture of Obi-wan and Qui-gon holding their sabers just reminds me of flags practice.....

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 05:18 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

In the shot at the start of TPM when QGJ and Obi-Wan race down the corridor towards the bridge, hacking droids down on the way, QGJ actually executes a forehand tennis shot- outright- to deflect a blaster bolt. As it is obvious that anything you hit with a forehand shot wasn't going to actually hit you anyway, it has been generally assumed that he was in fact covering Obi-Wan; this was the origin of the Bodyguard trick.

Attachment: tennis1.jpg
This has been downloaded 96 time(s).

BtVS

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 05:21 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Yea, Obi's TPM sword play is like our flags...
Shitty...

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 05:23 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jazzman_78
Jedi

No, I was agreeing with you Ush. I had een wondering if you'd got that from Gillard. It'sthe only time I've heard sword fighting compared to tennis. And I never noticed the forehand shot. Not a tennis player, so I'm hard-pressed to notice a correlation myself.

'Jedi are at their best when things don't go as planned.' - Anakin Skywalker, whom we now know never met Andro Fenris.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 06:17 PM
Jazzman_78 is currently offline Click here to Send Jazzman_78 a Private Message Find more posts by Jazzman_78 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bespin Bart
Buggy

Heh! I wonder how Qui-Gon would do in a tennis match...

No one seems to like Djem So. You'd think people would flock to Anakin's form...

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 06:24 PM
Bespin Bart is currently offline Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I suspect he would pull off some 'impossible' spin shots.

BtVS

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 06:35 PM
Peach
mordrem

Wow, that would be fun, I'd think.....

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 06:39 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jazzman_78
Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bespin Bart
Heh! I wonder how Qui-Gon would do in a tennis match...

No one seems to like Djem So. You'd think people would flock to Anakin's form...

I honestly thought about it myself, but figured that's what everyone else would do. But like I said, none of them really fit how I imagine Andro to fight but Shii-Cho.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 07:11 PM
Grate the Vraya
Disciple of Inglip

hezrou uses the juyo

I got everything!

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 08:14 PM
Grate the Vraya is currently offline Click here to Send Grate the Vraya a Private Message Find more posts by Grate the Vraya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Jedi Tennis!
Its all the rage in Coresaunt! (spelled like crap i know..)

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 08:30 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bespin Bart
Buggy

Originally posted by Jazzman_78
I honestly thought about it myself, but figured that's what everyone else would do. But like I said, none of them really fit how I imagine Andro to fight but Shii-Cho.

A well-balanced swordsman is always good. yes

Though, in Xeth's case, can you imagine anything BUT a buggy thing jumping around like crazy?

I've always wondered what some sports would be like if they were played by Jedi. It would be complete insanity and extremely fast-paced. Hockey? The Jedi would cheat and make the shots miss or go in. Basketball? They could jump from half-court and dunk it, it shoot three-pointers from the other end of the court. Baseball? Hit home runs because they powered up with the Force before the swing. *cringes*

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 08:34 PM
Peach
mordrem

I honestly think that'd be great fun to watch.....teams of Jedi playing against each other, it'd be sheer insanity.....

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Jedi Tennis!
Its all the rage in Coresaunt! (spelled like crap i know..)

If I could use the Force, then I'd be REALLY good at tennis...(and probably manage to not break my finger while playing)....

Ooh, ooh, flags routines with the Force eek! I'd never miss a toss!

Which I actually never did anyway......

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 08:43 PM
Bespin Bart
Buggy

Wow, someone's a flaggot... stick out tongue

haha...get it? No? confused

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 09:13 PM
Lord Melkor

6th form for me.

Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

"… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedeom, and he shall make you stronger than they."
Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post Sep 5th, 2005 09:35 PM
Lord Melkor is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Melkor a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Melkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote