KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why didn't Gandalf use his powers?

Why didn't Gandalf use his powers?
Started by: Some_Black_Guy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Discos
The Discmeister

in response to your question - no, sauron is not weak because he was defeated by a man. I was implying that I dont see why all these people are saying there is no competition for Sauron if you put him against gandalf - its silly.

Lets us remember Gandalf is very old as well, even the scenes at the black gate you can see he is in a bit of agony from swaying around too much,

Discos - not weak, just plain stupid to put his hand out towards a man who is in reaching distance of a very sharp blade.

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 01:19 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JediMasterLuke5
I said if the Valor would allow him to use all his power he could have killed sauron, but if the Valor didnt allow him Gandalf would be killed.

Gandalf is the most powerful being in middle earth.

Quote: So am I very Dangerous: more dangerous then any thing you'll ever meet......

My WORD, why do you KEEP using that quote when you must know full well that he says immediately afterwards

"...unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."

I have heard of selective vision but that is taking the piss.

Gandalf is by absolutely no means at all a match for Sauron, regardless of whatever vain mutterings of what he is 'allowed' to use that you speak of.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 04:47 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Hard to say - Ian McKellen was reported to have asked Peter Jackson during the siege of Minas Tirith, "Why am I hitting these creatures over the head with my staff and sword? Why not use a spell?" Peter Jackson:"Just think like the batteries in your staff have run down." What the f**k?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 05:13 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandos
Why would I want more?

Originally posted by Discos
in response to your question - no, sauron is not weak because he was defeated by a man. I was implying that I dont see why all these people are saying there is no competition for Sauron if you put him against gandalf - its silly.

Lets us remember Gandalf is very old as well, even the scenes at the black gate you can see he is in a bit of agony from swaying around too much,

Discos - not weak, just plain stupid to put his hand out towards a man who is in reaching distance of a very sharp blade.

You forgot that Sauron was defeated by a dog when he had is full powers.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2005 03:52 PM
Mandos is currently offline Click here to Send Mandos a Private Message Find more posts by Mandos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Morgoth had an army of Balrogs as his servents
Morgoth >>>>Balrogs (Because if the Balrogs were stronger they would be the master of Morgoth)

Morgoth's greatest servent was Sauron
Morgoth>Sauron>>>Balrogs

After Morgoth's defeat, Sauron became stronger then Morgoth
Sauron>Morgoth>>>>Balrogs

Gandalf the Grey was killed by a Balrog but he killed it so they were even
Sauron>Morgoth>>>>Balrog=Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the White is stronger then Gandalf the Grey but not no three times as strong
Sauron>Morgoth>>>Gandalf the White>Balrog=Gandalf the Grey

Need I say more?

Old Post Oct 14th, 2005 04:09 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandos
Why would I want more?

Actually, you've messed up a couple of parts in that explaination, noting that Sauron neve was more powerful then morgoth, even after he was cast into th eVoid

Old Post Oct 14th, 2005 04:16 PM
Mandos is currently offline Click here to Send Mandos a Private Message Find more posts by Mandos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

During the ensuing War of Wrath, Beleriand and much of the north of Middle-earth was destroyed, but at the end Morgoth was utterly defeated, and his punishment was final. Because he had weakened himself so he could no longer resist the Valar. Melkor/Morgoth was executed, and his fëa was shut outside the gates of the world forever. Shut off from Arda where most of his essence remained he was unable to ever return

Morgoth weakened himself during the War of Wrath and when Sauron created the One Ring, his power was greater then Morgoth's.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2005 05:22 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

no chance was Sauron more powerful than Morgoth, notice how the Vala decided not to personally defeat sauron themselves but had to do it once and a bit with Melkor then with Morgoth.

Hund never defeated Sauron, just scared him off....Hund was a big ass dog, and even the mightiest of foes would be scared of a biatch dog like Hund

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Oct 15th, 2005 03:02 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bogen

gandalf

gandalf is of the 1/2 elf and half man and at some point is 1/8 god. he is not allowed to interfere with the dealings of men because he has been given the grace to live on from Manwe (the most powerful and wisest of the gods besides melkor) he is not allowed to effect the scale in a grand scale e.g killing the witch king of agmar and when he does only in dire needs

Last edited by bogen on Oct 17th, 2005 at 03:56 AM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2005 03:41 AM
bogen is currently offline Click here to Send bogen a Private Message Find more posts by bogen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadowy_blue

Agree about the latter part of your post but where the heck did you get the idea that Gandalf is 1/2 elf, half man and 1/8 god? huh

Old Post Oct 17th, 2005 09:13 AM
shadowy_blue is currently offline Click here to Send shadowy_blue a Private Message Find more posts by shadowy_blue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

I put Sauron with his ring somewhere near Melkors range, unfortunately Sauron stupidly allowed himself to have his fingers removed so Melkor was stronger all round imo.

Sauron was cleverer though, more cunning, he would spend a shit-load of time planning things (such as living in weird forrests planning getting his ring back etc etc) whereas Melkor would just randomly let out a few thousand gallons of lava one day and have a five year battle.

Melkor was a psycho big grin Sauron was pyschotic but in a more sane way.

Im Back happy

Old Post Oct 17th, 2005 09:22 AM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Re: gandalf

Originally posted by bogen
gandalf is of the 1/2 elf and half man and at some point is 1/8 god. he is not allowed to interfere with the dealings of men because he has been given the grace to live on from Manwe (the most powerful and wisest of the gods besides melkor) he is not allowed to effect the scale in a grand scale e.g killing the witch king of agmar and when he does only in dire needs

Where did you hear that Gandalf was 1/2 elf, 1/2 man and 1/8 god? He is not allowed to interfere? That's the sole purpose of the five wizards going to Middle-Earth in the first place. To help defeat Sauron.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2005 10:00 AM
Discos
The Discmeister

haha 1 half elve and 1 half man - 1/8 god? he was a bleedin Miar. End of story.

That has to be one of the funniest posts I have read in a while. This one is going on my favourites.

Chris has some valid points, Sauron was smart and dangerous - very good combination for a bad guy. And yes Melkor was just a retard, I think maybe Sauron learned from melkor's mistakes seeing as melkor was first to do "evil" that the Vala had heard of.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2005 04:16 PM
The Overmaster
The Stranger

Ummmm....Sauron was at his strongest when he was serving Morgoth. He had made the ring, not to get more powerful, but to sustain his life and power in the Sil, it said that Sauron started to 'diminish' awhile after Morgoths defeat, and no, i will not go hunting for it in the book for a direct quote, i just stated what i remember, if you want to see it look for yourself. I'm too lazy.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2005 05:27 PM
The Overmaster is currently offline Click here to Send The Overmaster a Private Message Find more posts by The Overmaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Covert22

Originally posted by The Inkeeper
I have to say if Gandalf went all out i think he would give Sauron a run for his money.

false, the Isatari which included Saruman couldnt even consider taking on the dark lord... Sauron was a physical being and a dark mastery gleaned from Morgoth...

the entire posse of wizards together only then might have a teeny chance in combat... yes this is including Rhataghast as well as the blue green and red wizards.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 07:45 PM
Covert22 is currently offline Click here to Send Covert22 a Private Message Find more posts by Covert22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Covert22

Originally posted by Celestial
During the ensuing War of Wrath, Beleriand and much of the north of Middle-earth was destroyed, but at the end Morgoth was utterly defeated, and his punishment was final. Because he had weakened himself so he could no longer resist the Valar. Melkor/Morgoth was executed, and his fëa was shut outside the gates of the world forever. Shut off from Arda where most of his essence remained he was unable to ever return

Morgoth weakened himself during the War of Wrath and when Sauron created the One Ring, his power was greater then Morgoth's.

again false as others have pointed out, the one rings sustained power.

Sauron was never more than 1% of Morgoth is his prime.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 07:47 PM
Covert22 is currently offline Click here to Send Covert22 a Private Message Find more posts by Covert22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

GREEN wizard? Have you been on the Hobbit leaf?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 08:38 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bogen

Re: Re: gandalf

Originally posted by Celestial
Where did you hear that Gandalf was 1/2 elf, 1/2 man and 1/8 god? He is not allowed to interfere? That's the sole purpose of the five wizards going to Middle-Earth in the first place. To help defeat Sauron.

I heard it of some LOTR fan a while ago, he said that in order to pull of his magical stunts he needed to have grace( yeah sure well and good says you) But when he became gandalf the white he surpassed his previous form also it was said that he became and equal with souron who was a what; a miar so any questions??!?

Facebook
Cheers starlock, your a champ. wink

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 02:58 AM
bogen is currently offline Click here to Send bogen a Private Message Find more posts by bogen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Gandalf the White was equal to the Witch-King who is Sauron's greatest servant. There is a reason the Witch-King is Sauron's servant. Gandalf cannot defeat Sauron as Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 11:48 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Re: Re: Re: gandalf

Originally posted by bogen
I heard it of some LOTR fan a while ago, he said that in order to pull of his magical stunts he needed to have grace( yeah sure well and good says you) But when he became gandalf the white he surpassed his previous form also it was said that he became and equal with souron who was a what; a miar so any questions??!?

Well, one quesiton might be- why did Gandalf himsdelf say that Sauron was mightier than he?

BtVS

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 06:27 PM