KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why didn't Gandalf use his powers?

Why didn't Gandalf use his powers?
Started by: Some_Black_Guy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

1 question might also be: you have no clue what Gandalf the White was holding back. Show me where in any book that it says Gandalf the White could defeat Sauron.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2005 07:52 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bogen

Shocked

Think about it! he has been givven the ability to blast a gaping hole in the world, but will he do it? no because he cares to much. Souron on the other hand was in the biggining givven that same power but does it not say in the silmarilion that darkness (evil) has a degenerating effect on all even those who call opon evil to do there will. Therefore gandalf hammer souron but chose no to because Arda would be nothing so he waits and wathes, keeps a very close eye on souron.

Done

Facebook
Cheers starlock, your a champ. wink

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 07:43 AM
bogen is currently offline Click here to Send bogen a Private Message Find more posts by bogen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Repeat- Gandalf himself says that Sauron is mightier than he.

'Done'.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 5th, 2005 09:34 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

i don't think Gandalf ever truley intended to use magic in the event covered in LOTR. i think he fealt, and i'm sure i've read tolkien saying this, that he did not want men to grow reliant upon other powers to save them from all predicements.

if you look at Gandalf's early years, he would disguise himself as an elf walking past another making a sugestion, or as a voice on the wind to inspire elves with ideas to create.

i think the only real reason you saw gandalf use any magic at all was because he felt soley responsible for the involvement of the hobbits, the one race that had managed to avoid all the happenings in the world, and wanted to protect them.

the man they simply nicknamed 'oh @#$%' !!!

rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 11:23 PM
Bar-en-Danwedh is currently offline Click here to Send Bar-en-Danwedh a Private Message Find more posts by Bar-en-Danwedh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

And Gandalf saying Sauron was stronger means nothing.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 11:24 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

no, it means Sauron was more powerful than Gandalf...

i'm not debating that... i'm talking about why Gandalf didn't fireball the Uruk Hai at Helmsdeep, or ray of enfeeblement the troll, or chain lightening the mordor orcs, or whatever AD&D crap everyone seemed to be expecting when they saw these films and asked me why gandy didn't use LVL 30 l337 PWR!!!!!11!!!1

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 11:34 PM
Bar-en-Danwedh is currently offline Click here to Send Bar-en-Danwedh a Private Message Find more posts by Bar-en-Danwedh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

He made that huge light and blinded them at Helms Deep

Old Post Nov 8th, 2005 11:36 PM
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

yeah, he did alot of defensive/passive stuff...

but you just can't please some people...

i know a few nerds who's idea of what constitutes as a wizard is warped by all that AD&D and other RPGs. I really feel sorry for people who can't appreciate that...

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 05:15 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I know what you mean

Old Post Nov 9th, 2005 08:41 PM
Covert22

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bogen
Think about it! he has been givven the ability to blast a gaping hole in the world, but will he do it? no because he cares to much. Souron on the other hand was in the biggining givven that same power but does it not say in the silmarilion that darkness (evil) has a degenerating effect on all even those who call opon evil to do there will. Therefore gandalf hammer souron but chose no to because Arda would be nothing so he waits and wathes, keeps a very close eye on souron.

Done

your argument is about is bad as your spelling.

makes. no. sense.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 04:44 AM
Covert22 is currently offline Click here to Send Covert22 a Private Message Find more posts by Covert22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Covert22

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
GREEN wizard? Have you been on the Hobbit leaf?

check out the encylopedia of Arda... there are some tiny references to the green and red wizards...

essentially what it states is that Saruman, Rhatagast and Gandalf stayed in the west while the others wandered into the unknown lands of the east never to been seen again.

you have to remember the birthplace of the elves is the in east as well as the "Unwilling" caste of elves.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2005 04:47 AM
Covert22 is currently offline Click here to Send Covert22 a Private Message Find more posts by Covert22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

you mean the two blue wizards... Alatar and Pallando.

they went into the east with saruman who came back alone.
Tolkien hints that they became cult leaders and started followings.

there are no red or green wizards.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2005 03:10 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Indeedy so; please check your facts, Covert (and even those two names Bar gave are highly tenuous).

And no Elves ever dwelt as far East as the Blue Wizards went.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 16th, 2005 08:16 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bar-en-Danwedh
House of Ransom

i'm pretty sure those names appear in a footnote or somthing in Unfinished Tales... but i can't be sure until i get home. (and by then i'll be drunk)

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 12:41 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

They do, but remember what Unfinished Tales is- a collection of half-formed discarded notes most of which would never have been used.

In any official note he made about them, he referred to them only as the Blue Wizards.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 18th, 2005 05:58 PM
Council#13
The Omega Male

My god man, (started of this thread) havent u ever read the books?

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Nov 19th, 2005 08:32 AM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EruMelkor

The Valar instructed Gandalf not to use more overt magic than he had to. Part of the rationale for that had to be that use of magic can create more problems than it solves (kind of like technology). As a Maia, Gandalf probably had a role in the creation of Ea (the world). He was powerful, but I believe he left most of his power and knowledge behind when he was incarnated as an Istari, as a sort of safety measure. It's like you don't want to carry more explosives around in your truck than you need.

Gandalf was able to accomplish his mission using his brains, his charisma, hard long work, and a bit of magic. He did not need to use more magic than he did, nor would the use of more magic have helped. For example, he had to let Frodo/Sam/Gollum fly under Sauron's magic radar to get to Mt. Doom. If Gandalf attempted to intervene more than he did with that, he might have blown their cover.

Gandalf would have been more powerful than Sauron if he claimed the One Ring, but he was too good and wise to do that. Sauron put most of his power into the Ring. That's why he was vanquished when it was destroyed.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2006 08:05 AM
EruMelkor is currently offline Click here to Send EruMelkor a Private Message Find more posts by EruMelkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Agreed EruMelkor I've read a quote not by a character but its dealing with if Gandalf took the one ring and I will look through all my books and references if need be. Basically what it says is that if Gandalf the White took the one ring he would indeed cast down Sauron. However, the ring would corrupt Gandalf and he would be a more terrible dark lord than Sauron himself. He would remain righteous but self righteous and force the people under his rule to do his bidding for his perceived "Greater Good".

Gandalf or Olorin as his true Maiar name is, was also very wise the wisest of all 5 to pass into Middle-Earth Celebrimbor of the harbour sensed this in him on arrival and thus entrusted Narya the elven ring of fire to his keeping. Because of this wisdom Gandalf would not use his power unless in the dire most need.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2006 08:45 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Gandalf himself said "don't tempt me Bilbo! I dare not take the Ring even to keep it safe. I would try to use the Ring to do good but through me it shall do terrible tasks" or something like that. Meaning Gandalf's will isn't strong enough to control the Ring. He would have ended up like Saruman the Many Colours.

And do you mind telling me where you got your information from thefallen544?

Old Post Jun 13th, 2006 07:55 PM
warcraft xs

ya really how good would ROTK be if gandalf just went up in front of the army of 100000 and just BOOM they all are dead

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2006 04:43 AM
warcraft xs is currently offline Click here to Send warcraft xs a Private Message Find more posts by warcraft xs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote