KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is School Harder Now Than It Used to Be?

Is School Harder Now Than It Used to Be?
Started by: RedAlertv2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
RedAlertv2

Is School Harder Now Than It Used to Be?

Well, I have been thinking about this a bit. Back 30-40 years or so, school had tougher discipline, and there was less work, but it was graded harsher. Nowadays, it seems like we get more busywork, and there are also harsher requirements to get into universities. So who has it easier? The people in school now, or those who went through 30-40 years ago?

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 01:00 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Thanks to movies, school isn't hard at all...

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 01:29 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

Thanks to the Lack of Diciplin, School has been ahrder for all the little sqeeks who can't raise a fist. (Both metaphorically and Literly)

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 03:00 AM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

After looking at the curriculum that my nephews are currently taking in high school, and after working with teenagers for the last couple of years, I would hazard to guess that school is a heck of a lot easier than it used to be.

Universities' acceptance requirements are probably higher because more people are applying. I don't think that has to to do with kids being smarter so much as it has to do with parents having more money.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 03:07 AM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

I think school is easier but there is more pressure to excel in order to get into a good college. In other words, I may have HS easier than my parents, but they didnt have to get above a 3.7 to get into the nearest university, like I do.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 04:39 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fini
Hurricane stalker

School is easier now. A LOT easier, and for some reason more students are doing worse.

SEE what a lack of displine has done. Turned kids today into lazy, whiny brats( but dont get me wrong, there will always be those who are the complete opposite)

I teach and it astounds me, at how many students get all riled up when I 'punish' them ( aka lines) for not doing homework. When I argue with them for not doing anything in class, they run home and complain to their parents.

Thank you god for the blessing me with Chanel.
She is back with you now, so take care of her

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 05:40 AM
fini is currently offline Click here to Send fini a Private Message Find more posts by fini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Hell, they raised the SAT score scale to make idiots look like geniuses. Now someone with half a brain who would have scored a 500 on the SAT in 1990 can get something like a 900. I still haven't figured out a reason for this change other than 'we just want everyone to feel better about themselves.'

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 11:26 AM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

School subjects have been dumbed down in my opinion.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 11:33 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Yeah, "Handwriting I" is now done on a computer keyboard.

Ok, cheesy joke, but I couldn't resist.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 11:35 AM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by botankus
Yeah, "Handwriting I" is now done on a computer keyboard.
Ok, cheesy joke, but I couldn't resist.

Weird. I thought 'jokes' were supposed to be funny...I guess this could be viewed as another example of the lowering of standards; education isn't what it once was and neither are jokes.

Dramatic increases in people going to university isn't a sign of an increase in the number of intelligent people, rather it again shows a lowering of standards.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 12:08 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Weird. I thought 'jokes' were supposed to be funny...

Sorry, I'll try to make a joke especially for you next time, namely one that wouldn't have any personal resemblences for you.

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I guess this could be viewed as another example of the lowering of standards; education isn't what it once was and neither are jokes.

Exactly. Because I'm still in high school and all. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 12:14 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

I thought you were serious.....lol....

It was a joke.....?

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 12:15 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

I was serious. That dude's high school is still using typewriters for the course.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 12:17 PM
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

It was getting easier when I went through school. It was getting stupid when my brother went through, and now my youngest brother is going through some mediocre shit right now.

Now it's beyond a joke. GCSE's mean nothing, and A-Levels are joining them. Every year the government would like to assure us that the constant record-breaking amount of passes and top grades is down to solid teaching and hard work - but everyone in the real world knows thats garbage.

Of course it's getting easier. It's been steadily getting easier every year.

CRAP.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 02:07 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Hell, they raised the SAT score scale to make idiots look like geniuses. Now someone with half a brain who would have scored a 500 on the SAT in 1990 can get something like a 900. I still haven't figured out a reason for this change other than 'we just want everyone to feel better about themselves.'

They added another section, which is why the scoring changed...

*hugs her 1340 from the old scale*

I dunno, but I know that all through high school I was bored brainless in classes, including AP ones erm

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 03:06 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Originally posted by Lana
*hugs her 1340 from the old scale*

Wow, Lana, that's a great score for the old scale.

If it were from the new scale, well, you get a 1340 just for writing your name with only spelling 2 errors.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 03:20 PM
NunYahBidness
You can stop looking, now

Originally posted by Red Superfly
It was getting easier when I went through school. It was getting stupid when my brother went through, and now my youngest brother is going through some mediocre shit right now.

Now it's beyond a joke. GCSE's mean nothing, and A-Levels are joining them. Every year the government would like to assure us that the constant record-breaking amount of passes and top grades is down to solid teaching and hard work - but everyone in the real world knows thats garbage.

Of course it's getting easier. It's been steadily getting easier every year.

CRAP.
Well, with the mental state of today's kids being inundated with video games, MTV, sex, sex, sex in da media and silly silly sad songs wit grit in da pizzle manizzle...what's the point of truly learning or even having an edumacation?

I hear McDonald's have upped the ante in their hiring practice for burger flippers. All one needs is a Master's Degree in Philosophy.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 06:35 PM
NunYahBidness is currently offline Click here to Send NunYahBidness a Private Message Find more posts by NunYahBidness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

I know , I was the only individual in my high school who seemed to care how i did on my tests , but i was a individual . I didn't buy the 'trendy clothes' i acted completely different (some would say creepy) , i didn't gel my hair ( i just put it in a ponytail , i got laughed at but i didn't care) . I didn't believe i was the best at everything or gods gift to earth . Sometimes i wonder about todays generations of moronic fools who deserve a swift quick in the arse to teach them a lesson.

PS: i hate rappers , rappers teach kids that gun crime and prostitution is good , plus their raps are shit therefore all rappers should be shot.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 06:55 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Wow, Lana, that's a great score for the old scale.

If it were from the new scale, well, you get a 1340 just for writing your name with only spelling 2 errors.

Thank you...would have been higher were I not half asleep the day I took it, I'll bet embarrasment

I actually think it's quite sad when you see what average scores for stuff like the ACT and SAT are in the US, and how many people who take AP classes actually pass them...I mean, the average ACT score is what, a 19? That's really low, honestly.

Or maybe I'm just a harsh critic because I always did very well on tests...but I don't think I'm the only that thinks that.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 08:58 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manny321
Haradrim Elephant Rider

Thats weird the opposite happened up here in Canada especially in Ontario. They made the curriculum harder and the drop out rate increased. So when they found out to many were passing they made it harder. Now its up to anyone to say if it is harder or not. However i think education is taken as more important up here then i saw in some parts of The US.

Well there is a literacy test which you must pass. Before 66% past when it first came out but now 80-82% pass it. Thats the only good news i see from education around here.

Now i have seen the US a lot. Very nice high schools. There are bad ones and a lot don't even touch on history or geography. That no child left behind policy has made school much easier because they took out a lot of the hard stuff.

Drown your face in a bowl of water!!!

Last edited by manny321 on Sep 6th, 2005 at 09:06 PM

Old Post Sep 6th, 2005 09:03 PM
manny321 is currently offline Click here to Send manny321 a Private Message Find more posts by manny321 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote