KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is School Harder Now Than It Used to Be?

Is School Harder Now Than It Used to Be?
Started by: RedAlertv2

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Are we in the top 5 among first world countries and if so where in the top 5?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 08:52 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Are we in the top 5 among first world countries and if so where in the top 5?

Covered this in depth in a discussion with Whirly where Whirly was not serious and just trolling but I still liked putting the facts out there.

Originally posted by dadudemon
(please log in to view the image)

smile

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 09:04 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

But look at our numeracy rate

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 09:07 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

When I was st secondary school, calculators were not used and we had slide rules. My oldest left school 17 years ago not long before this thread was written. My youngest but for my new daughter left this summer in the U.K. he was part of the A level debacle due to Corona. "He done good!" I wonder what it's going to be like for my grand kids and daughter when they grow up?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 09:10 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scythe
Thanks to movies, school isn't hard at all...
Thanks to movies? Oh god, that's like saying..."thanks to facebook!"

Last Edited by Blakemore on Jan 1st, 2000, at 00:00 AM

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 09:14 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

The problem with the UK literacy is we have a wide variety of slang. I mean, just read a passage from Shakespeare ffs.

...and remember which language you're speaking.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 09:18 PM
Blakemore is currently offline Click here to Send Blakemore a Private Message Find more posts by Blakemore Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Blakemore
The problem with the UK literacy is we have a wide variety of slang. I mean, just read a passage from Shakespeare ffs.

...and remember which language you're speaking.
Road man dialect hasn't helped laughing out loud

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VV0BB0CxIFk

Interstingly enough in the days before calculators we used log tables as a short cut for multiplication... ha, so long ago.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 09:24 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 09:32 PM
snowdragon

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
When I was st secondary school, calculators were not used and we had slide rules. My oldest left school 17 years ago not long before this thread was written. My youngest but for my new daughter left this summer in the U.K. he was part of the A level debacle due to Corona. "He done good!" I wonder what it's going to be like for my grand kids and daughter when they grow up?

If the path we are on continues they won't even use pens or pencils:P Plus with programs like grammerly and spell check/grammar check on all the platforms expect that their knowlegde of english might change:P Same with math stick out tongue

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 09:58 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by snowdragon
If the path we are on continues they won't even use pens or pencils:P Plus with programs like grammerly and spell check/grammar check on all the platforms expect that their knowlegde of english might change:P Same with math stick out tongue
i must admit, anything for work etc goes through grammar it is amazing.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 10:07 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

**** it I'm too drunk to type it out.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 10:17 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

lol

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 10:19 PM
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Road man dialect hasn't helped laughing out loud

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VV0BB0CxIFk

Interstingly enough in the days before calculators we used log tables as a short cut for multiplication... ha, so long ago.
I already knew most of them but jesus. Imagine that in rhyming slang.

"bare jokes" could be "fair"

best I've got.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2020 10:36 PM
dadudemon

If you subtract out the black and Hispanic populations from those figures, we approach top 5 or even top 3.

Korea is a very homogeneous population. The US is not. We have to bring others up (this is a good thing).

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 03:05 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Weird. I thought 'jokes' were supposed to be funny...I guess this could be viewed as another example of the lowering of standards; education isn't what it once was and neither are jokes.

Dramatic increases in people going to university isn't a sign of an increase in the number of intelligent people, rather it again shows a lowering of standards.

I really miss this guy. Was funny.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 07:22 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilikecomics
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is a website of a writer who shows how education has been deliberately degraded. The website shows a few books but the important one is the deliberate dumbing down of america.

http://deliberatedumbingdown.com/ddd/

The book is expensive as hell but if you google it a free pdf version is available. I would share it but idk how to share a pdf

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 04:31 PM
ilikecomics is currently offline Click here to Send ilikecomics a Private Message Find more posts by ilikecomics Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ilikecomics
Restricted

Account Restricted

Edit: the website also has a pdf version

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 04:50 PM
ilikecomics is currently offline Click here to Send ilikecomics a Private Message Find more posts by ilikecomics Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blakemore
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon
If you subtract out the black and Hispanic populations from those figures, we approach top 5 or even top 3.

Korea is a very homogeneous population. The US is not. We have to bring others up (this is a good thing).
Isn't that why no child left behind fudges the figures? It sounds to me that you just said black/hispanic schools are doing poorly and probably underfunded (they are) and I recall Bush cut education. Did he cut black/hispanic schools but made sure whites weren't left behind?

Because that sounds like systematic racism beyond Katrina level.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 05:28 PM
snowdragon

Isn't that why no child left behind fudges the figures? It sounds to me that you just said black/hispanic schools are doing poorly and probably underfunded (they are) and I recall Bush cut education. Did he cut black/hispanic schools but made sure whites weren't left behind?

Of course feel free to prove that statement. Here is a quick article discussing the costs of students in different states:

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimo...l-spending.html

That doesn't discuss the situation entirely obviously it's just one city.

Here is an article discussing how the baltimore schools performed:

https://www.educationviews.org/13-b...roficient-math/

13 Baltimore City High Schools, Zero Students Proficient in Math

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:01 PM
snowdragon is currently offline Click here to Send snowdragon a Private Message Find more posts by snowdragon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, it doesn't hold up in many European nations where white working class boys do least well. Which kind of toasts the whole no racism in America thing. It also brings in gender bias in the UK lol.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commo...rking-ClassBoys

We know that on average boys consistently underperform against girls, and white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds underperform against boys of all other races and ethnicities. I will reel off some statistics: by age five, white boys from disadvantaged backgrounds are already 13% behind disadvantaged black boys and 23% behind disadvantaged Asian girls in their phonics, for example; only around a third of white working-class boys pass their maths and English GCSEs; disadvantaged white working-class boys are 40% less likely to go into higher education than disadvantaged black boys; and in fact, according to UCAS, only 9% of these boys will go to university, compared with around half of the general population. I could go on forever if I had more time, but as it stands these white working-class boys are being let down by an in-built and inherent disadvantage.

But you know, the UK is more classist and the US more racist it is what it is. Gender bias is prevalent in both.

And remember to underline the fact, this comes from the UK where White men from non disadvantaged backgrounds invented everything from Gravity, to Magnetism and Electricity shifty [SPOILER - highlight to read]: some will say we only discovered these things, but we are British and if I say we invented them being part of the Master Race we must have

Last edited by Old Man Whirly! on Sep 18th, 2020 at 06:07 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2020 06:03 PM